PDA

View Full Version : How do we remove lanai carpeting?

sundermann
08-08-2008, 11:31 PM
Hello. We just purchased a pre-owned that has many great features. However, previous owner glued down carpeting in the lanai. Any advice of who we can contact to get it removed and if it has destroyed the surface underneath? I'm thinking we will have to tile it afterward, but the tile man said it would have to be "treated" before he could do that. It sounds like the glue residue could be a "sticky" issue (sorry - bad pun).

zcaveman
08-09-2008, 03:00 AM
The lanai floor is concrete. I would try pulling it up by hand and using a 3 or 4 inch scraper and pliers as an assist. If you can get it loose try using a hair dryer or a small benzine torch to work it free. Once it is off try to heat the remaining glue and scape it off with a plastic scraper.

samhass
08-09-2008, 03:06 AM
Wow, I hope the lanai isn't huge. I think they make a commercial adhesive remover. Good luck.

redwitch
08-09-2008, 05:31 AM
The only thing I found to remove the adhesive from some outdoor carpet in a kitchen with a cement foundation was Jasco (Lowe's and Home Depot have it). I tried everything, including some pros, but no luck. I had use a wire brush to get it off (Jasco worked like a furniture stripper). Do be sure to wear some very heavy gloves -- it burns when it makes contact with skin. Good luck. This is not the most fun job in the world.

F16 1UB
08-09-2008, 08:43 AM
When Floormasters removed our carpet the padding stuck to the concrete and they used scrapers. Quite a laborous task. Hair dryer/heat gun and a scraper might work for your application. Don't envy you.

l2ridehd
08-09-2008, 10:40 AM
Try Acetone. Rip up the old carpet, then apply acetone to the remaining adhesive, let it set for a few minutes and wipe it off. Get it in the paint dept at Lowes or Home Depot. Use rubber gloves. Get the worst of it off, use a long handled scraper to make sure surface is smooth. Then vacuum up and loose pieces and then tile, paint, carpet or what ever you want to do to replace current carpet. To do a 12 X 16 lanai should only take a couple hours to prepare it for new surface doing it this way.

Mintjulep
08-10-2008, 02:50 PM
That will be quite a job.
I had to do our garage, same thing- glue down carpet...
I think the garage floor has a smoother concrete finish than a lanai tho
so may be easier to scrape.
I used buckets of scalding water with Dawn dishwashing liquid and bleach and a putty knife.
Let the liquid soak for a few minutes then it scraps up fairly easily.
Any bit of residue I had left was GONE when I did the acid wash before doing the epoxy.
Acid washing may be 'the treatment' your tile man was talking about.

It was lots of WORK!! But worth it....
Good luck Reader...