PDA

View Full Version : Travel help for a friend, please

Just Susan
08-10-2008, 11:10 PM
I have a friend who had a double lung transplant 5 years ago. She is not one to be kept down. She and her husband travel often and are planning a trip to Russia, Germany etc via a cruise and the side trips offered when in the different ports.

That said, this time she is a little worried that the poet trips in Berlin and Russia (St. Petersburg and I think Moscow will be too much for her. The sanctioned tours do not allow wheelchairs, and she may need one for part of it as there is a lot of walking.

I am wondering if any of you have some good ideas or advice that I can pass on to her.
She walks fine, just tires easily.

Rokinronda
08-10-2008, 11:20 PM
Susan, My mom has a great walker with a built in seat. It is strong enough for her to sit and I push. I also saw a cane type of seat. As light and simple as a cane, but unfolds to a tripod w/small seat. Just a couple of ideas. I hope her trip is wonderful!!

Just Susan
08-11-2008, 01:28 AM
Thanks Ronda, I will pass on your info. ;D

Hyacinth Bucket
08-11-2008, 09:18 AM
Hi

Most countries have companies to assist people with various physical problems, I do not understand why she will not be able to use a wheel chair. The only thing I can think of is that they may feel she can not keep up with the group. If that is the case, she may be able to rent a scooter.

It sounds like she is taking side trips that the cruise is offering or that they are purchasing from the cruise line. I would suggest she first contact the cruise line to determine the extent of the walking where she is concerned and why they do not allow the use of a wheel chair. Rok's suggestion about the cane/tripod seat is very good and an item that is easy to purchase.

Another thing that she could use are trekking sticks that have springs in them and that collapse. Suggest if she chooses to look into this that she buy a set of them and use them that way.

If they are paying for the tours there may be a tour operator in each place who works with people with physical disabilities and thus not use the tour operator the cruise line is using.

We have been to Berlin and where ever we went the areas were flat and paved, same with Moscow. We have never been to St. Petersburg.

Not to sure if this will work - take a taxi to the starting point of the walk.

We recently returned from a river cruise in France. One woman needed a wheel chair. Since we primarily visited areas built in the 16 - 1700's the streets were not even and frequently were paved with bricks or cobblestones. Her use of wheel chair created no problem for the tour guide or anyone in the group she was in.

If you need names of companies or other suggestions please let me know.

HB

HB

swrinfla
08-13-2008, 08:10 PM
Susan&Tom:

Ronda's cane/chair sounds like the one my late wife used, and loved, for a number of trips. While it was a nuisance to carry, whether on the plane or checked, it served very well for her to stop when necssary, when there wasn't a bench or other sitting place. There are versions best-suited for exploring cities, etc., and there are versions best-suited for viewing sporting events. The latter usually have a spiked end to facilitate stability in the ground, and are really NOT suitable for ordinary touring.

I'm a little surprised at HB's feeling that wheelchairs should not be a problem. Many cruise shore excursions preclude even booking if a chair is required because: lack of space on the vehicle, unsuitability of the terrain, adverse impact on fellow tourists, etc., etc.

But, she's right that a close conversation with the cruise line and/or tour operator should yield some clues as to how a particular venue will suit your particular needs.

SWR

Just Susan
08-14-2008, 12:02 AM
Thanks for the new info. My friend was told that wheelchairs were not allowed and yet the group she is going with, are all, doing these side trips, so she doesn't want to be left behind....no one else would need a wheelchair, but they are not spring chickens either.
She is worried that it might be too much for her, but wants to try.

I have a hard time accepting "No" when it seems that it should be possible for her to do this. You have all had good possibilities for her. I will pass these on as well.

Hyacinth Bucket
08-14-2008, 03:52 AM
Hi,

I am a member of SATH - Society for Accessible Travel Hospitality. People who use wheel chairs 24/7 can go around the world. There are special wheel chairs for people to go on a beach, into the water and to many other places.

What SWR wrote about the cane/chair is correct. You will see people in museums use them as they go from picture to picture and want to study them.

There are tour operators who specialize in working with people with all different types of problems.

On our river cruise in France a woman used a wheel chair on paths and streets made of cobblestones, some had pot holes and the tour guides showed her alternative ways to get to the destination, streets were built in the 1600's. No one in the group had any problems with her using a wheel chair.

When you book a tour you should tell the company you use a wheel chair - if you do.

She like Susan's friend did not need a wheel chair 24/7.

For anyone who has physical problems and want to go to Venice, there is a special walking map so that you can get around.

One person I know who is in a wheel chair 24/7 wrote a hiking guide for hiking in Colorado, he lives in Colorado and loves to hike.

I realize I have gone astray, I did not want anyone left with the impression that if you use a wheel chair there are many things closed off for you.

I am like Susan, I have a hard time accepting "No" for a response when it doesn't make sense.

HB

njgranny
08-23-2008, 08:35 PM
When we were in China, my husband needed a wheel chair for a couple of excursions. We were able to rent a chair and pusher for very little money. One of the excursions was the Forbidden City and involved some stairs. The man did a wonderful job getting my not so little husband up and down.

Sidney Lanier
08-24-2008, 01:17 AM
One of my most moving experiences was on a flight back to NY from Quito about ten years ago. In the gate area waiting to board was a woman in a wheelchair with a blanket pulled up around her. We smiled and nodded, and she did the same. Naturally she was preboarded, along with other people who needed more time to board, families with babies, and so forth. When we got on the plane, it turned out that she was sitting in the bulkhead seat immediately in front of us, and though obviously we didn't show it, we were stunned to see a woman with NO LIMBS seemingly traveling casually from there to here as though traveling like any other passenger! Again we smiled and nodded, and from that time on it was clear to me that persons with a 'can-do' attitude can do infinitely more than we would otherwise suppose, and often there is more support available than we would also suppose.... It's just a matter of asking and, if needs be, researching further. Susan&Tom, good luck to your friend! Her 'can-do' attitude comes shining through!!!