PDA

View Full Version : 30 sec rule

Jaggy
07-20-2015, 08:32 PM
Can someone tell me why we have to wait 30 secs on here if we click too soon on new post?? I usually ( ALWAYS) click too soon and have to wait the 30 secs.. and yes, I know 30 secs is not a big deal, so don't hit me with comments to be patient - I just would like to know why it's in place.. :024:

dbussone
07-20-2015, 08:42 PM
It provides time for you to regret the ads you read during the lapse. (Just kidding Admin.)

DeanFL
07-20-2015, 08:52 PM
In lieu of 'official' rsp by Admin - it no doubt is because 'New Posts' function requires a Search, and thus Server time on the processor end of the ToTV app. We just have to wait for the app to continue the New Post search routine and the results.

jnieman
07-20-2015, 10:05 PM
Can someone tell me why we have to wait 30 secs on here if we click too soon on new post?? I usually ( ALWAYS) click too soon and have to wait the 30 secs.. and yes, I know 30 secs is not a big deal, so don't hit me with comments to be patient - I just would like to know why it's in place.. :024:

I always thought it was so robots couldn't do searches and post. It has to be real people willing to wait the 30 seconds. It drives me nuts too.

Barefoot
07-20-2015, 11:27 PM

I've often wondered about that. Maybe as jneiman posted - we can blame the robots!
If I hit User ID, I instantly get any threads to which I've subscribed.
Yet when I hit New Posts, it takes 30 seconds -- I'd love to know why. :confused:

jblum315
07-21-2015, 05:02 AM
I've finally gotten used to it, but it was hard because my instinct is to double-click

ajbrown
07-21-2015, 05:44 AM
According to my memory this was instituted prior to the new admin team. There was a period where there were frequent issues with TOTV with performance and down time.

As the folks in charge were trying to fix the issue, I suspect by upgrading DB servers hardware and software, they also instituted this wait.

Searches require a DB query and puts a stress on the DB servers. If too many searches are occurring simultaneously the servers may not have the capacity to handle. It is not just new posts, it is any search.

:D Do not read this as fact as my memory is often 'based on a true story'.

6XNANA
07-21-2015, 06:58 AM
If you select New Posts , scroll down immediately. It is when you hit New Posts a second time, the system wants you wait 30 seconds. I learned this by accident and it works . Have a great day ! That 30 seconds could be used doing something fun :)

TOTV Team
07-21-2015, 10:54 AM
This is a setting and we have made an adjustment.

Best Regards,

TOTV Team