PDA

View Full Version : Is this Stalking ?

Walt.
07-21-2015, 11:20 PM
I was checking out some of the Florida listings today (links below) and noticed a person with 12 listings of state-held "unclaimed" money. It appears to probably be a parent and the children as trustees. The people are in the phone book at the same Villages address the state has listed. I cross checked with a nationwide government site and found a total of 26 listings for them. These appear to be dormant bank accounts, stock dividends, mutual funds, etc. It looks like quite a LOT of money

Anyhow... I would like to drop these people a note with the info that Florida (and Pennsylvania) has their money along with a printout of the pages where they're listed. They can simply click up the site, fill out the form and follow instructions, and get their money. Besides the folks with the 26 listings I've compiled a list of other multi-listing Villagers.

My wife is not in favor of contacting them. She figures they'll think it's a scam or I'm a stalker, and might create a problem. I have no interest in meeting or seeing these people. I don't want (and wouldn't take) any "finders fee" or reward. It annoys me that Florida is holding over $1,000,000,000 in "unclaimed" funds (pet peeve?). These funds are unclaimed only because people don't know they're out there. The state doesn't seem overly zealous in finding the rightful owners.

So... do I send them a letter or not?

The State of Florida is holding money belonging to each of the three Bee Gees, Marco Rubio, Miami Beach City Hall, and thousands of other individuals and businesses. What about you? Check out links below! If you recover some money please acknowledge it so folks can see it's possible.

Ecuadog
07-22-2015, 01:37 AM
It's a righteous cause. The letter(s) would have to be carefully worded. It should probably begin with something like, "I am a fellow resident of The Villages and research is a hobby of mine." A preemptive visit to Seniors vs Crime and/or the Sheriff's office might help. I'd try one letter and see what happens.

Laurie2
07-22-2015, 06:52 AM
I have to agree with your wife.

Privacy issues could be a concern, even though the information is public and your motivation is pure.

Of course, it could turn out just fine if you contact them, but you could end up with a lot more aggravation than just knowing the state is holding their money.

I would not want to take the chance of opening a can of worms.

Weighing-the-Odds Laurie

Jima64
07-22-2015, 06:58 AM
I think a brief note with copies of the pages would be fine.

redwitch
07-22-2015, 07:24 AM
When I've felt the need t contact a villager I didn't know, I started with The Villages and asked that they contact the homeowner for me, explaining why I wanted to contact them. TV was more than happy to help and I do believe this way is a lot less threatening. I would not go the route of a letter, that, to me, would scream a scam. The other route I would consider is simply going to their home and talking to them. Wouldn't work in other communities but works well here.

SouthOfTheBorder
07-22-2015, 09:05 AM
I guess I am naive.

Based on your description of the circumstances I would have contacted them without giving a real thought to it beyond trying to do a good deed. My communication would include a brief explanation of how I came across the info and, as suggested above, that I was a fellow TV resident.

Being thought of as a stalker seems like a stretch to me.

Thanks for the heads up. If I recover any money Walt., you will be the first to know! :thumbup:

Don

Jima64
07-22-2015, 09:10 AM
When I've felt the need t contact a villager I didn't know, I started with The Villages and asked that they contact the homeowner for me, explaining why I wanted to contact them. TV was more than happy to help and I do believe this way is a lot less threatening. I would not go the route of a letter, that, to me, would scream a scam. The other route I would consider is simply going to their home and talking to them. Wouldn't work in other communities but works well here.

After reading your suggestion I would agree with you. My idea of sending a note in the mail could appear more as a scam. Personally I would be leery of someone that knocked on my door unannounced to discuss something like this.

Jgg7933
07-22-2015, 09:26 AM
I was checking out some of the Florida listings today (links below) and noticed a person with 12 listings of state-held "unclaimed" money. It appears to probably be a parent and the children as trustees. The people are in the phone book at the same Villages address the state has listed. I cross checked with a nationwide government site and found a total of 26 listings for them. These appear to be dormant bank accounts, stock dividends, mutual funds, etc. It looks like quite a LOT of money

Anyhow... I would like to drop these people a note with the info that Florida (and Pennsylvania) has their money along with a printout of the pages where they're listed. They can simply click up the site, fill out the form and follow instructions, and get their money. Besides the folks with the 26 listings I've compiled a list of other multi-listing Villagers.

My wife is not in favor of contacting them. She figures they'll think it's a scam or I'm a stalker, and might create a problem. I have no interest in meeting or seeing these people. I don't want (and wouldn't take) any "finders fee" or reward. It annoys me that Florida is holding over $1,000,000,000 in "unclaimed" funds (pet peeve?). These funds are unclaimed only because people don't know they're out there. The state doesn't seem overly zealous in finding the rightful owners.

The State of Florida is holding money belonging to each of the three Bee Gees, Marco Rubio, Miami Beach City Hall, and thousands of other individuals and businesses. What about you? Check out links below! If you recover some money please acknowledge it so folks can see it's possible.

Properly worded, dropping them a line to make them aware of your findings is the right thing to do. You are not breaking any law and they should not feel anything but appreciative. What they do with the info once they have it is their business. I am very surprised at those that think this would create some type of issue.

Bonny
07-22-2015, 09:29 AM
You could tell them that researching things are a hobby and tell them what you found and give them the site info.
I would not copy pages. That might seem to personal.

jnieman
07-22-2015, 09:40 AM
I have $125 of cash due to me from the missing money site. I have found friends and relatives on the site and have let them know to check it and claim their money. I also am like you, I like to help people. Sometimes people just don't understand that and look at me like I'm crazy. If I see something for sale that I know a friend is looking for I will e-mail it to them. I don't usually get a thank you for it. It is a thankless job. If it were villagers I would probably try and contact them. If they don't seem receptive right off the bat or seem skeptical of you I would leave it alone.

Gerald
07-22-2015, 10:04 AM

Interesting what you have to say. Yes I feel a scam coming on and I think you are the one who is scamming. I hope others don't fall for another scam.

redwitch
07-22-2015, 11:18 AM
Interesting what you have to say. Yes I feel a scam coming on and I think you are the one who is scamming. I hope others don't fall for another scam.

If this was Walt's first post, I'd agree with you, but he has posted many times about states holding money but rarely with specific information like this. I can't help but believe Walt is very sincere in trying to help others. I'm sorry that your world is such that you can't believe someone would try to help others with no ulterior motive other than to feel good.

Bonny
07-22-2015, 11:24 AM
Yes, I would have thought the exact same thing if it was someone who has only posted once or twice, but I would tend to believe if it was someone like Walt with over 300 posts.

Taltarzac725
07-22-2015, 11:26 AM

I would just bump this Thread on Talk of the Villages a while and maybe you will get the word out about these funds. If you want to respect the privacy of these people and have their address then send them a letter with no return address telling them about this site you found. Only with the site linked though. Let them figure it out.

Good deeds do often go punished so I would tread carefully.

I did share your link on the Villages Group of Facebook but just called you a Good Samaritan. Also put it on my own Facebook with a link to other states.

Walt.
07-22-2015, 11:41 AM

And what exactly do you base this on? Did you check any of the sites listed below?

Lovey2
07-22-2015, 11:44 AM
I would want you to contact me....and then I can look at the sites and decide what I want to do.

villagetinker
07-22-2015, 11:45 AM
OP, if you know these people, perhaps you could approach this during a friendly conversation, saying something like my (friend, relative, acquaintance) found they were due some money from (xyz site). I looked but nothing was owed to my, would you like to look up your name? Or something like that, this is an honest offer and if they are not computer literate, you can help them.
PS I took a look at the sites, and these appear to be legit, I was not aware of the second one as I had another site book marked that I check periodically.
PS I and my wife are from PA and now live in FL, and I have found "that we are due money" from HP, this is very OLD info and not valid. So if we happen to be the people, we know about it.

TheVillageChicken
07-22-2015, 11:58 AM
This doesn't seem like an issue that needs to be decided by committee, but since it was submitted, I will state the obvious. Send an anonymous letter, and move on.

Walt.
07-22-2015, 12:09 PM
OP, if you know these people, perhaps you could approach this during a friendly conversation,.

No... don't know them. If they were friends I'd just tell them straight up "Hey, you got a pile of money waiting in Florida and Pennsylvania!" That would be a REALLY friendly conversation! Six their 15 Pennsylvania listings indicate that the amount held is over $100 (each listing). The 11 Florida listing don't show how much $$

Laurie2
07-22-2015, 12:16 PM
This doesn't seem like an issue that needs to be decided by committee, but since it was submitted, I will state the obvious. Send an anonymous letter, and move on.

Ah, VillageChicken, not so obvious to me. So many, many shades of gray. (Or is it grey?) Just think of the wheels within wheels that could be set spinning with the arrival of an anonymous letter.

It is the stuff of a Seinfeld script.

Overthinking Laurie

Taltarzac725
07-22-2015, 12:19 PM
Ah, VillageChicken, not so obvious to me. So many, many shades of gray. (or is it grey?) Just think of the wheels within wheels that could be set spinning with the arrival of an anonymous letter.

Overthinking Laurie

Hopefully there is no Kramer getting involved in this situation.

Laurie2
07-22-2015, 12:44 PM
Ah, VillageChicken, not so obvious to me. So many, many shades of gray. (Or is it grey?) Just think of the wheels within wheels that could be set spinning with the arrival of an anonymous letter.

Overthinking Laurie

Hopefully there is no Kramer getting involved in this situation.

Newman would have to deliver the letter. And what if George's dad was the recipient? Or his mother? Would his dad try to hide the windfall from his wife? Would his mother freak out with worry? Or Jerry's parents, in that retirement place in Florida where they moved?

(Oh my. Please forgive me for my tacky behavior -- quoting myself -- not to mention trying to take this thread on a ride. Slow day back at the ranch.)

Plot-thickening Laurie

PS: Walt is not a scammer. He has been around here forever. But I must say, this thread clearly reveals the potential for various scenarios. Human nature is a variable.

bluedog103
07-22-2015, 12:46 PM

y wife is not in favor of contacting them. She figures they'll think it's a scam or I'm a stalker, and might create a problem. I have no interest in meeting or seeing these people. I don't want (and wouldn't take) any "finders fee" or reward. It annoys me that Florida is holding over $1,000,000,000 in "unclaimed" funds (pet peeve?). These funds are unclaimed only because people don't know they're out there. The state doesn't seem overly zealous in finding the rightful owners.

Last winter I received a note from a person in NY with a name similar to mine informing me that my name was on an unclaimed money list in NY. Included in the note was how to access the list. I checked the list and sure enough my name was there. I followed the instructions and claimed my money. It wasn't a whole lot but it was better for me to have it than to have it claimed by NY State.
I didn't suspect a scam since they included the info about how to access the list. I was very appreciative.

Colts Fan
07-23-2015, 08:42 PM
A letter with no return address and no signature, explaining what you found and the URL's of the sites couldn't hurt. You could suggest that they talk with their banker, attorney, or other financial advisor to help verify that the sites are legitimate and not scams. I think it's great that you want to connect them wth their dormant accounts.