PDA

View Full Version : Photos of consequences of "no staking" policy

gfmucci
08-14-2008, 12:10 AM
Here are some images of the "staking job" of an area landscaper.

This first image is of their second attempt at staking two weeks prior to the photo being taken:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3043/2761476108_6f094677b7.jpg

Here are two trees they installed, and the results of their staking job after two attempts... The rope on the ground and 2x2 is the beginning of my re-do work that I shouldn't have to do.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3107/2760628683_c351efc056.jpg

Here is a tree they installed that they staked with STRING...
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3104/2760630013_684953e1b9.jpg

...and a close-up
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3043/2761474310_8dd9249ecd.jpg

Unfortunately, before I realized that their "no staking policy" was just a cheap way around their "get paid" policy, I referred them to a couple down the street. Now I'm trying to make up for it. We should have known better than to be advised that "you don't have to stake your trees." Or "staking is not good for them" as we were advised. Every landscaping book on the planet devotes the first several pages on how to plant trees. They all advise to stake securely on three sides using a wide material or other protective device that will not cut into the tree.

Why are people our age, who should know better based on our years of knowledge and life experiences, so gullble when an "expert" tells us something we really know is not true?

samhass
08-14-2008, 12:21 AM
Wow. That is really lame.

villages07
08-14-2008, 12:23 AM
ouch, GF, pretty poor job of staking I'd say.

Hate to see what they look like after tonight's rain and wind.

In your next phone message let them know you've posted pictures on a TV website with over 5,000 members. Maybe that will get their attention.

gfmucci
08-14-2008, 12:34 AM
Hate to see what they look like after tonight's rain and wind.

I was able to perform a minimalist staking job with 2x2s and rope a few minutes before the storm bagan this evening (when I took the photos). But still 10 times better than what they did.

KathieI
08-14-2008, 01:26 AM
"Why are people our age, who should know better, so gullble when a 20 something "expert" tells us something we really know is not true?"

GF, was she at least good looking???? Then I can understand it, otherwise, DUH!!

I sure won't use them when I need work done that's for sure. Thanks for the heads-up. As 07 says, let them know you posted it on TOTV and they've already lost another "gullible" customer!!

gfmucci
08-14-2008, 02:08 AM
My wife and I both liked her.* She was impressive for a girl her age.* An excellent and enthusiastic salesperson, a good valued product/service, but in need of improved knowledge or policies related to landscape installation, better oversite of workers (quality control), and improved customer service, specifically, followup communications with customers.

graciegirl
08-14-2008, 02:11 AM
You have quite a foundation GF. It looks almost as if you had a basement.

KathieI
08-14-2008, 02:19 AM
My wife and I both liked her. She was impressive for a girl her age. Apparently an excellent salesperson without good managerial, customer service and followup skills.

Sounds like my real estate person here in LA. Boy am I gonna tell him off when this is all done.

barb1191
08-14-2008, 02:24 AM
You have quite a foundation GF. It looks almost as if you had a basement.

Gracie....I was thinking the very same when I saw the pics with a good-sized footing.

gfmucci....Sooooo sorry about your misfortune to have hit on a bad choice. Hope you didn't pay in full and at least have that leverage.

If they do mowing, I think that I may have had them and fired them when they cut into my siding and took a year to repair it. If the owner's name is Carlos, then it IS the very same that I fired, and so did my neighbor.

One must be sooo careful who you contract work with as there are so many unethical and uncaring who ruin it for the honest ones. Best choice is by word if mouth of a satisfied customer.

Very important advice to really take seriously.....NEVER pay in advance for services. If they insist on a partial payment, look elsewhere. From one who's been there and learned the hard way.

tkret
08-14-2008, 03:53 PM
Thank you, Jessica, for using this forum to give your side of the story. My concern regarding your customer service policy rests in your very own words when you wrote:

"* the reason i did not go and restake his trees is because of the fact that he was speaking badley of me before i was even suppose to be there to fix the situation"

I take this to mean that should ANY client speak to a neighbor or friend about be dissatisfied you will NOT revisit to correct the situation. Perhaps Mr. Mucci was wrong to take his complaints to the public before speaking with you first; but, although he did do that, is that a reason for not trying to reach a compromise with him? Seems to be a very stern policy touching, actually, on vengeance. I don't know the man but I do know that when I contract with a business it's nice to know that they will stand behind their work should that be necessary. As the saying says, "It's not personal, it's business!"

KathieI
08-14-2008, 04:11 PM
TK, :agree: :agree: Very good post and advice.

Jessica, listen to TK, its very good advice. I think it was very professional of you to post your side of the story, which is a good sign... but, I would consider this a very good learning experience in your new business. There's always room to learn and that will make you a better business person for the future. Sounds like you're very industrious and should be able to build a very reputable business for yourself. Just be sure to listen to us "old" folks, we've been there done that.

Good Luck to you. KathieI

gfmucci
08-14-2008, 05:22 PM
* the reason i did not go and restake his trees is because of the fact that he was speaking badley of me before i was even suppose to be there to fix the situation

I called the company about the leaning trees several times over a 10-day period before I named C & E Landscape on this forum. In fact, I recommended them to a neighbor before I realized I had a problem with the absence of support of the trees. Now that neighbor is having a similar problem with a leaning tree and lack of support of a tree planted by them a couple of weeks ago. In fact, she had an appointment with this firm this morning and they did not show. Some contractors may use the rainstorm that occurred after 9:30 AM this morning as a reason to cancel. Personally, I had two other service companies show up to my home prior to 9 AM this morning who completed their work.

I was still willing to work with this company while they were willing to be responsive to requests to address the problem. They made two attempts to stake severely leaning trees they planted. You see the results above. Only after these two sub-standard attempts did I begin to express problems to others which is certainly anyone's right and neighborly obligation to do.

This morning my wife received a phone call from a principal of the firm threatening to sue me for slander. During this call she was extremely hostile. After she cursed at my wife, my wife hung up, shaking.

I have only described specific problems pertaining to the work performed by this firm in the absence of follow-up as promised. While I understand the fact that the contract does not specify "staking", I need to note two important facts:

1) The salesperson/principal told my wife and I before we signed the contract that if the trees need staking, get blown over, start to lean (words to that effect), she will make it right.

2) Most reputable landscaping books (I own several) and landscaping firms state that trees should be staked on three sides when planted.

3) Bottlebrush trees are specifically recommended by experts to be staked for the first one to three years after planting.

Perhaps Mr. Mucci was wrong to take his complaints to the public before speaking with you first; but, although he did do that, is that a reason for not trying to reach a compromise with him?

I did not take my complaints public before speaking with the firm. As described above, I spoke with them as follows:

Call 1. Initially to informed them of a couple of leaning trees.
A man came out and did a dismal job of staking - one tree - several days later. It was leaning again just as severely the next day.

Call 2. I called again. This time, several days later, a man came out and staked three trees, one stake each, and one tree with string. See photos, above. The result of this staking job, 10 to 14 days later, is shown in the photos.

Calls 3., 4., 5., and 6. During the early part of this 10 to 14 day period I phoned them several more times, leaving a request to call me, with my phone number and the reasons for my call. We played phone tag the first two calls. After the last voice mail from the firm I called at least two more times over a three day period without receiving any return call. It was after this that it became apparent that they were not going to properly address my problem. Only then did I decided to post the name of the firm.

candelandscape
08-14-2008, 06:15 PM
Mr. MUcci just previosly stated we played phone tag i did return his calls. I tryed to fix the situation his complaints on this website began 11 days after his landscape was complete. I was at his house 6 days before they began on here to move a oak tree over a few feet and told him my guys would be there the following week the complaints started before WE ever showed up to fix the situation and my guys still went there to try to fix it after I read these complaints. The only reason I am speaking about these complaints I have known about for a month is because I do not like being labeled a crook and I do not like slander.
this will be my last post on this website
thank you for all that read and to any of those that look at both sides of the story

784caroline
08-15-2008, 01:37 AM
C&E
I dont know much about the Landscape business but I think I know somethihng about customer relations in running a business and you are going about this the wrong way.

There are always two sides to each story..glad to hear yours, but who has the most to lose here. There is no doubt that trees are leaning and that your staff used poor or improper material to stake the trees even after the issue was brought to someone attention. I may use string to stake a tree but I have no idea what I am doing ..string simply would not meet the comon sense test of what was right especially for a professional landscaper.

OK so this problem just got to your desk today.......you may want to find out why it took so long for you to find out ..but now that you know, the answer is simple.... FIX IT and fix it fast to minimize further problems especially if as you say this home is in a new area and you are trying to get new business! HOw much work could it involve to straigthen and stake some trees!!! Regardless of the "great deal" you gave this customer, if it did not meet the expected standards of the area plus it simply looks BAD....I mean look at the pictures, you have to make it good if you want to stay in business. I cannot believe newly planted trees did not have to be properly staked considering the wind we get here in TV regardless of what your contract states. BTW I hope you took your signs down advertising the work you did on this property.....not something someone would be proud of.

As of now, I know there are alot of landscaping companies out there, and I personally don't need one to agrue with regardless of who is right or wrong....takes up my pickelball/golf time!

samhass
08-15-2008, 01:48 AM
A picture is worth a thousand words. I think Caroline has offered you some excellent advice.
I can't believe you posted this statement "I never cursed at your wife I told her I will sue you for slader because you are lying about my company "
You can't say anything else here that would change my mind about your company. You threatened to sue the man????? It would have been so much easier just to "eat" the cost of staking and move on with good feelings intact.
There is also a spell check button at the bottom of the page.
BTW, I have never met Mr. Mucci.

samhass
08-15-2008, 01:51 PM
What would it have cost you to properly stake his trees and move on...keeping your reputation intact? As business owners, we've all had to to do this in one form or another.
Sometimes you find a customer that is difficult to satisfy. It comes with the territory. You need to factor those people into your pricing. I am not saying that Mr M is one of those people. If you had just sucked it up and made it right immediately, we might not be posting right now. One bad job can take you down if you allow it. The word of mouth factor is amazing. I'm hoping you make Mr M happy and he comes back on this site with kudos for you. He can't change your "lawsuit" statement, though. That is your statement and one that you should never have posted on this forum. The ease with which you throw around the terms defamation and slander are frightening to us old folks. We will heed your words and not forget them easily.

ConeyIsBabe
08-15-2008, 03:43 PM
Ummmmmmmmm..... I don't know the original poster, I don't know the landscaper, heck- I don't even live in TV...... but one thing I do know (from watching Judge Judy for over 10 years) is that there is NO slander case here. Mucci's photos reveal that simple fact. He is expressing reality as he sees it -- and as we all can see it from the photos.

The bottom line is: poor customer relations along with not fixing the poor staking job as promised in the verbal contract!

I love Judge Judy ;D

redwitch
08-15-2008, 04:03 PM
Jessica, I do understand and somewhat sympathize with you. I am self-employed and it is my reputation that gets me customers. I can have hundreds of satisfied clients but it only takes one to be unhappy for me to be out of business. You have an unhappy client. I would be standing on my head to make him happy unless I truly thought he could never be satisfied and then I would simply walk away. He has not complained about all of your work, just the trees not being staked (something that it seems should be standard -- I know it is in California where I used to live).

For you to threaten Mr. Mucci with slander and defamation is, quite honestly, ridiculous. He has spoken the truth. There is no slander (oral defaming of character) if what was said is true plus there was no defamation of character. Given the photos, I'd say the facts speak for themselves. There is no libel since what was written simply reiterated Mr. Mucci's feelings and the facts as he knows them. One thing I would never do is publicly threaten a client with a lawsuit -- people are going to take notice of that and remember it long after the emotions have died down.

You had (and have) choices. Do what you can to Mr. Mucci happy -- stake his trees properly. You can go back to his property, remove your plants, etc. and have him get a new landscaper that might make him happy and refund his money. You can do nothing and let him complain. If you're as good as you say you are, you might not get a customer or two but your previous satisfied customers will take care of that problem. You can try to sue but I doubt you'd be doing more than giving your hard-earned money to an attorney and the court.

If this were my business, I'd jump through the necessary hoops to get those trees staked properly, apologize to my client that there was any issue at all and go about my business (with a mental note to not deal with him again). If I felt fixing the tree issue would just lead to another complaint and then another, I'd remove my landscaping and wish the client well. As hard as it is, sometimes the best thing you can do as a small business owner is suck it up.

samhass
08-15-2008, 04:17 PM
Jessica,I also hope you are a licensed contractor. If not, You may have more problems than Mr. Mucci on your hands.

JohnN
08-15-2008, 05:33 PM
I was in customer service for many many years.
And a few unhappy customers, which were my responsibility , even when I felt they were wrong, it was my job to make them happy. And I realize we don't all have the same perspective.

Jessica, good of you to post, shows some pluck and wanting to defend yourself.
All said and done, you need to make the situation right, and then some, and stop worrying about your hurt feelings and reputation.

Fix it so that gfmucci (who is a thoughtful man, far as I know) has to put a closing post in here that says "C&E did me right, all said and done"

samhass
08-16-2008, 01:09 AM
The Villages, Florida.
So, Mr Mucci, are you staked yet? Should we come and untie you??? 1rnfl

Taltarzac
08-16-2008, 11:34 AM
The Villages, Florida.
So, Mr Mucci, are you staked yet? Should we come and untie you??? 1rnfl

Good one, Samhass from here in the Villages, Florida. :bigthumbsup:

Boomer
08-16-2008, 12:56 PM
Jessica, Jessica, Jessica,

Stop sassin' Mr. Mucci.

Stop slappin' that old "I'm gonna sueya" card down on the table. You think not staking a tree can cost you business. Once you start throwing around that old "Seeya in court" :edit:, not wanting to spring for tree stakes becomes the least of your business worries.

Go stake the tree and whatever else, if you have not already done so. (I have kind of lost track of where this is right now.)

Now, resist saying, "Boomer is a :edit:." What does she know?"

Well, Boomer knows a thing or two. And now, I am going to tell you a little story. It's what I do.

In the very early days of my career, I could be a mouthy little snot sometimes. (Not saying you are. Just saying I was.) Not always. But sometimes. I thought it was all about me. I thought I knew everything about how to do my job. And I thought I could just say stuff. . .

Well, one day, an "old woman" kicked my young, cute little Boomer butt. She took me aside and told me quietly, but in no uncertain terms, exactly what I needed to be doing and what I needed to not be saying.

Well, even though I could be a mouthy little snot in those days, (Not saying you are. Just saying I was.) I also had a major clue once in awhile. And so I listened to what that "old woman" said. I apologized, sincerely. (In those days we did not consider "Sorry 'bout that" to be an apology. --That statement heard so often now drives me nuts. I don't even know if those saying it realize how it sounds. -- but I digress.)

Anyway, Jessica, I went on for 34 more years in one career. I needed specific education for that career. But I gotta tellya, Jessica, the education that "old woman" gave me, in about five minutes, turned out to have been the most valuable part of all that education.

I know your job is not easy. Any job done well is not easy. And I know you must be feeling, "What in the heck did I get myself into?"

But Jessica, if you stop and breathe and think about all this, you may realize that what you just got here in this thread from all these "old people" could just be worth more to you than an MBA. There is more business acumen riding around in those golf carts in TV than you could probably find anywhere in one spot.

And you did not even have to pay tuition to learn what you just learned. If you decide to learn it that is.

Well, Jessica, when I sit down at my computer, in my kitchen, almost every morning, I never know what I am going to write. And believe it or not, I really try to resist writing anything. But I cannot seem to stop. And this morning, I somehow landed in this thread. And here I am, a mouthy "old woman" trying to tell you what to do.

Jessica, I sincerely hope that you will learn from all this. And I hope you will tap even further into that potential you have. And I hope you will realize how big the business picture is. And how subtle the ins and outs of business can be. There is more at stake here than just a stake or two.

Boomer, the "Old Woman" with a Long Memory

tkret
08-16-2008, 07:43 PM
I understand all of you and I am just statin that it would have been nice to know about the situation by Mr. Mucci not on the internet. To this day I still havent recieved a phone call of I am upset or anything he call I returned his calls and then I read on here days before I go to his house that he has a serious problem with me and to beware and to avoid me. he didnt publicaly state my name but he did email people with it. I had no problem staking them. I went there 3 times in a week for various reasons other than staking. Also I am licensed and insured through lake county you cant work in the villages without it. The ridiculous part is that I didnt stake the trees properly it is that I am put into a catorgory of crooks and rip off and I have worked very hard. I dont have a degree in college I didnt even graduate highschool. But I have been around this business my whole life and I have made myself succsecful from treating people right but I dont feel its right for someone to make it seem as if I was a rip off. But I will listen to all of you I will be sending my crew there next week sometime on one of the weather permitting days and restake his trees properly I will be sending the other owner there to insure the proper way is done. So hopeful this might make you think different of C& E Landscape

Brovo! Jessica. Mistakes and misunderstandings happen in EVERY business. It is HOW the dispute is corrected that counts. Now it should be up to your client to advise if the problem(s) were resolved to his satisfaction.

redwitch
08-16-2008, 08:15 PM
I do beleve Mr. Mucci will happily post when the trees have been staked to his satisfaction.

You may want to take before and after pictures. These would be good for lessons in how not to stake trees in high wind areas for future employees. Also, I'd recommend you make it a practice to stake trees. It just makes sense in this area.

Also, considering Tropical Storm is expected to bring some pretty serious winds to TV next week, I'd suggest you get the trees staked before Wednesday. Here's a link that gives a daily forecast of possible rain times this week: http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?site=tbw&map.x=175&map.y=72

Barefoot
08-16-2008, 08:20 PM
I understand all of you and I am just statin that it would have been nice to know about the situation by Mr. Mucci not on the internet. But I will listen to all of you I will be sending my crew there next week sometime on one of the weather permitting days and restake his trees properly I will be sending the other owner there to insure the proper way is done. So hopeful this might make you think different of C& E Landscape

Good girl Jessica. It's called customer service, learning from experience, and eating crow. Something we've all had to do from time to time. I hope the issue works out to everyone's satisfaction.

Boomer
08-16-2008, 08:38 PM
Jessica, Jessica, Jessica,

I think you just might be a pretty daggone smart young woman. Having a degree or two is not what makes somebody smart.

Honesty, hard work, common sense, an understanding of human nature, and the desire and drive to keep on learning can take you far.

You got it. And you got it pretty darned fast, it sure looks like to me.

I wish you all the best.

And I, too, will be watching for the happy pictures.

Boomer

serenityseeker
08-16-2008, 09:39 PM
OK, I just have to take a minute to say this is EXACTLY what drew me to this forum so strongly before I even decided to buy in the villages (about 6 yrs before i can actually move there full time). An intelligent exchange of ideas, some sage wisdom that I need to hear, and the supportive nature.
Jessica, glad to see you step up. Things can only continue to get better for you when you are willing to take wise advice even if it rubs the ego the wrong way a little. I can see some of your points and think I can understand your chagrin, but the fact is in a service industry you have to do exactly what you are doing, just make it as "right" as you can and keep moving forward.
My compliments to the intelligent and well spoken members of this forum. You only solidify my confidence in my decision to end up in this community.

gfmucci
08-17-2008, 03:17 AM
To this day I still havent recieved a phone call of I am upset or anything he call I returned his calls and then I read on here days before I go to his house that he has a serious problem with me and to beware and to avoid me.

To this day I cannot understand why Jessica had not responded to my two or three additional calls made AFTER her last voicemail to me.* In each of these additional calls I left voicemails further detailing the nature of the problem, repeating what I stated in my first calls.* Could be a voicemail glitch??? :dontknow: :dontknow:* I don't know how many calls it takes for a contractor to realize what a customer needs or if he is upset after voicemail explanations. No, I don't holler and carry on on the first (or even the second) phone call requesting corrective action.* Maybe I need to be more expressive. :realmad: :cus:

But I will listen to all of you I will be sending my crew there next week sometime on one of the weather permitting days and restake his trees properly I will be sending the other owner there to insure the proper way is done. So hopeful this might make you think different of C& E Landscape

Thank you, Jessica.** :clap2: :bow:** Your efforts to make this right are sincerely appreciated.* A couple*of Queens have developed a bit of a lean as well.* Hope those can be corrected/supported along with the other item I phoned about (left voice mail a couple hours before your partner phoned me) this morning.* Please advise if you did NOT receive this mornings' (Saturday morning's) voice mail from me.*

Again, I appreciate your making amends.* I apologize for not communicating more effectively with you - but at this point I don't know how my communication could have been more effective than it was.* Perhaps you can give me (and future customers) some guidance in that area - different people or phone numbers to call, things like that.* During the six weeks I have been in The Villages, I have dealt with 10 or 12 contractors and did not feel ignored by or get frustrated with any of them.* With the phone call from your partner this morning, I believe we are back on track as well. :bigthumbsup:

784caroline
08-18-2008, 01:47 AM
Jessica
You dont need a horticultural degree or fancy posters on the wall to develop a good trade but your reputation in how you deal with customers is learned from having a "nose" for bunisess and just plain common sense.
If you have not heard the phrase "You will get more flys (customers) by using a little sugar" ...I think it fits appropriately here!

candelandscape
08-18-2008, 12:16 PM
I did get said voicemail this morning I will have the guys there no later than Thurday I am going to try my hardest to get them there to at least stake the queens palms before the tropical storm we are expected to recieve.

Donna
08-18-2008, 12:42 PM
I guess I should think twice about getting Queen Palms, apparently they are the first to go in a storm.. :dontknow:

samhass
08-18-2008, 01:45 PM
I think I would have given my crew overtime so that Mr Mucci's trees were staked last week.
In your shoes, I'd have been out there with a flashlight doing the job myself if that's what it took. "You are only as good as your last job". That was my motto.

Peachie
08-18-2008, 02:22 PM
I like the new title of this forum since an amicable agreement appears imminent. (That sounds funny, doesn't it?) Congrats to all of you abitrating posters, this may be a win-win situation. :2cool:

gfmucci
08-18-2008, 03:22 PM
The job is now complete. The crew from related landscaping company(ies) was out this morning and staked the Queens and performed other remedial work. In this case, they underpromised and overdelivered (a very good thing), having most recently said they will make corrections "by this coming Thursday." Their timliness in the face of the coming storm is appreciated.

Thank all you TOTV'ers for your wisdom and willingness to step into the fray. Your words and experience are sincerely appreciated.

Saturday I changed the SUBJECT of the original thread, eliminating the name of the firm and cleansing my posts of the name of the firm in light of the promises made. But the name of the firm remains on other posts on this thread. Now that the work is complete, I have several choices:

1) I can delete this thread altogether
2) I can ask Admin if he can/would delete reference to the name of the firm in the other posts so that the thread can remain as an example of how issues can be resolved.
3) I can leave it as is (my least favorite option.)

What are your suggestions?

redwitch
08-18-2008, 03:42 PM
I would leave it. What was a negative has become a huge positive and I believe C&E should get the credit it is now due.

And, Jessica, way to go! It's not always easy to hear something negative when you think you've done a good job. To swallow hard and fix the problem to everyone's satisfaction is not always easy. To do it this quickly is quite impressive. Take a bow, hon!

And, gf, thank you so much in letting us know it is done. Now, how about some new pics? Let us see your pretty new yard.

graciegirl
08-18-2008, 03:46 PM
Great job. JESSICA AND GFMUCCI.

It just proves that at any age we can always grow and learn.

I would not hesitate to use your landscaping service now Jessica and we will call you when we return to TV.

gfmucci
08-18-2008, 04:42 PM
And, gf, thank you so much in letting us know it is done. Now, how about some new pics? Let us see your pretty new yard.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3117/2775266456_cd1302cdbd_m.jpg

Donna
08-18-2008, 05:35 PM
Very nice! :bigthumbsup:

Peachie
08-18-2008, 05:43 PM
Terrific!!! And you really have a lovely home and view, gfmucci. :bigthumbsup:

Barefoot
08-18-2008, 07:31 PM
Good work Jessica. Well done. :#1:

And Gf, the house and view look marvelous! Hope all our homes and trees survive the winds expected.

The company who is taking care of my home, Village Watchdogs, e-mailed me this morning with a promise to check my home after the hurricane. Makes me feel secure here in Canada.

JohnN
08-18-2008, 08:48 PM
I'd leave the post as is, gfmucci.

Glad to see it turned out fine. All's well that ends well

redwitch
08-18-2008, 08:49 PM
Nice yard, gf. Guess we'll know soon enough if the staking worked.

Boomer
08-19-2008, 12:14 AM
I love stories. Especially stories with happy endings. I think this thread is a classic in TOTV history.

Boomer

Barefoot
08-19-2008, 12:33 AM
I love stories. Especially stories with happy endings. I think this thread is a classic in TOTV history. Boomer

Boomer, I agree. Sounds like a win/win situation. Gf got a lot of landscaping done for a good price! Jessica is a smart cookie who understands how negative publicity can make or break a business. And she stepped up to the plate and made things right.

Hopefully Fay will skip over TV, and all our plants, shrubs and lanais will stay intact.

784caroline
08-22-2008, 01:41 AM
So how did the staking work out after this mild wind/ rain storm we are having??

candelandscape
08-23-2008, 04:33 AM
The queens palms did still lean which considering the winds was expected. The crew will be there monday to staighten them up

faithfulfrank
08-24-2008, 02:21 PM
Very interesting thread.
I have much to learn about Florida landscaping and gardening......Going from zone 4 to zone 9 is a big step.
I'm glad things worked out here. Up north here, I've always staked my trees at least for the first year, then removed them so the tree can get stronger and not be dependent on the stakes, which are best meant for a temporary solution as the tree establishes it's roots.

I keep a box of cut up old hose pieces and stake with aluminum wire and 2x2's...at least 3 per tree. I use the pieces of hose to insure the tree bark does not get damaged from chaffing.

I hope some good lessons were learned here. I feel everything I do kind of has my name on it.......you just "do it right" or "make it right". Bad press costs a lot more then a few stakes and a few minutes time. "Call backs" are costly and should be avoided if possible by going the extra mile and doing it right the first time. I'm not being critical here, but when you are a "professional", you incur stricter judgement.

I guess one can not assume anything. I would have assumed that staking is just part of planting a new tree.....like tying your shoes is part of putting them on.....it's the way you insure they stay where you put them. Staking is certainly easier then trying to re-set a leaning tree........IMHO.

Frank D.

diskman
08-24-2008, 06:13 PM
Jessica, BRAVO FOR A WISE DECISION and prompt action. Based on this I would not be afraid to use your services when I get to the villages.
:bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup:

livsea2
08-25-2008, 10:39 PM
I think I would have given my crew overtime so that Mr Mucci's trees were staked last week.
In your shoes, I'd have been out there with a flashlight doing the job myself if that's what it took. "You are only as good as your last job". That was my motto.

Great quote " You are only as good as your last job". They should paint it on their trucks so they never forget.

YOU ARE ONLY AS GOOD AS YOUR LAST JOB. :bigthumbsup: