PDA

View Full Version : Front Loading Washing Machines

KathieI
08-14-2008, 04:13 AM
Hi, has anyone had any experience with front loading washing machines whether positive or negative? I'm wanting to buy one (along with the dryer of course) but heard some negative comments on the internet. Just wondering if any of you have had personal experiences with them.

Sgt Mac
08-14-2008, 09:28 AM
I never saws one :dontknow:

Shirleevee
08-14-2008, 12:25 PM
Kath,

My friend just bought the set and sooooo I asked her what she thought. She said people of a CERTAIN age must be sure to buy the drawers that the washer and dryer sit on...otherwise it would be hard to reach in to load or unload machines. My son & DIL bought without the drawers because of the extra cost.........ahhhhhh youth. According to friends and family, these machines are more energy efficient.

Hope this helps,

Shirleevee...........arriving in TV Monday yippeeeeeee!

KathieI
08-14-2008, 02:15 PM
Thanks Shirl.. I was planning to get the platform drawers..

I know my limits, bending over isn't good at my age!!

OHHH, so happy you'll be in TV when I get there. We must get together. I'll be arriving probably Aug 28 or 29 with the doggies. Will be oh so tired from the 3000 miles trek across country.

See ya in TV, thanks for the info. Kath

ConeyIsBabe
08-14-2008, 04:15 PM
I have Maytag front loading washer & dryer, Neptune model, high energy-efficient, with an extra platform on which they sit - to make them much higher; purchased 3 years ago and top of the line, back then. The extra-height platform makes loading so much more comfortable for someone with bad knees & back. I've been very happy with these machines. They were very pricy but I'm glad I purchased them.

KathieI
08-14-2008, 04:28 PM
CIB, thank you, that's exactly what I want to hear. :bigthumbsup:

graciegirl
08-14-2008, 04:31 PM
We just bought new Maytag pair for Hadley, but didn't think about purchasing drawers. I don't want people to say that Gracie is missing her drawers. Wonder if they fit any model and can be purchased later. :dontknow:

ConeyIsBabe
08-14-2008, 04:42 PM
P.S.

There's a photo of my Maytag washer & dryer in my album at picturetrail.com and my member name is rosejolie. The pic doesn't show the platform but you can see the height and get an idea of what they look like. Now they come in great colors!

Shirleevee
08-14-2008, 05:08 PM
Off topic.........

I love my Fisher-Paykel dishdraw dishwasher for the same reason, no bending.......

Hope to see you all soon

Shirleevee

Barefoot
08-14-2008, 06:03 PM
Kat, I have a friend who bought front loaders 3 years ago. She says they are wonderful and extremely energy efficient.

Does anyone have any experience with stackables? I was considering buying them for a house I own with limited space for laundry.

jmemc46
08-17-2008, 03:03 AM
Hi Kathie,
I purchased them 4 years ago and love them. There bottoms are a must.
jmemc

Mikitv
08-17-2008, 04:21 AM
Kath,

I bought my Kenmore front loaders about three years ago with the bases and I love them. Very efficient and easier on my back. My sister just bought the new front loaders with the steam alternative and loves them. I did the same with my dishwasher. It is elevated off the floor in the kitchen and is much easier to load. My kitchen designer set it up so it looks like a cabinet below it. Just a false front. In 41 yrs of marriage this is only my third kenmore washer and dryer. I did have a maytag dryer once and had problems so went back to Kenmore. Good Luck.

KathieI
08-17-2008, 04:26 AM
Thanks guys, you've convinced me. I'm gonna do it. See you guys are better than searching the internet, cause the feedback was different and I trust you guys more, plus I can dis-invite you to the big party if the machine is no good!!!

Does anyone have any experience with stackables? I was considering buying them for a house I own with limited space for laundry.

Bare, Yes I do. I rented a condo in Palm Springs for a month and I loved the stackables. They do a good job, obviously they don't have a tremendous capacity, but its very convenient and I loved having the dryer on the top, so easy to removed the clothes. Good Luck!!

meriboo
08-17-2008, 11:07 AM
I have the LG brand side by side that can be stacked, which is what I did. So these stackables have a larger capacity than the 'one unit stackables'. If you stack the individual units you don't want the drawer on the bottom, unless you want a step stool to reach the controls on the top unit. Even without the drawer 'short' people will probably have a difficult time reaching the controls on top.

This is my first front loader. I only have one concern....It is harder to throw another thing to be washed once the machine is running. Top loaders....just open the lid and drop it in. Front loaders....hit the pause button, wait for everything to stop before putting the item in the machine.

Wannabee
08-17-2008, 10:45 PM
I have the Maytag front loaders and I don't like them for the reason that was just stated. You can't just open the door and add another piece easily. First you have pause the machine and THEN....open very carefully as water comes out!!!!
ALSO, I agree it is a MUST to have the drawers. I didn't get them because I had rods put up across the top of my washers to hang things that come out of the dryer. Not enough room for drawers and hanging rods.....doing laundry today and oh my aching back:)

Wannabee
08-17-2008, 11:24 PM
One thing that is nice is the controls are on the front. This allowed me to have a countertop cut to size for the top of the washer and dryer giving me a folding table.

fizzbyn
08-30-2008, 06:31 PM
We bought the LG front loader washer and dryer with the drawers for the new house. It is more complicated than the top loader model we have now, but I'll get used to it I suppose. I've only used it about three times. It has charming little songs to let you know it is finished etc. The drawers are roomy and make the loading levels much nicer but, unless you are tall, you lose the folding area on top of the washer and dryer. Our new house has an extra area in the laundry room where some cabinets with a counter top can be built, so it won't be a problem for us. But it should be a consideration if you have a small laundry room.

Lucko
08-30-2008, 07:38 PM
Three years ago we bought high end front load Bosch for out new Illinois home and they are great. Europe has been using front load for 20 plus years. Quiet, use 80 % less water and get the clothes much cleaner. The newer platform drawers are deeper and more useful than three years ago. We are sorry we didn't get Bosch for our Duval ranch, and so will be getting Bosch front loads for the new Hemingway home, probably when they are on sale at Lowe's or when Lowe's will match another sale price. Buy an upgrade model so that it reheats the hot water, "you will never be sorry you bought quality." Also, if you upgrade your dish washer, the Bosch is incredible and quiet. This is not an ad.

faithfulfrank
08-30-2008, 07:43 PM
Could I be the lone voice of decent on the subject?

I just had this talk with my sister in law.
She was buying the line from all the appliance salesman...."You GOTTA buy a front loader for the water savings......."

I personally am not thrilled with the front loaders because so many people have complained of mold problems. They even sell products to throw into the washers to fight the problem......
Perhaps you do not have that problem if they are left open. I don't know.

Anyway.....we LOVE our Fisher-paykel washer and dryer. BOTH top loading.

Reasons we LOVE our Fisher Paykel...?
Top loading..no mold.
WATER SAVING.....automatic water filling.
Direct drive motor DC motor. Lower electrical cost AND No belts, No pulleys and the best thing.........NO TRANSMISSION. This benefit is HUGE. Whenever I've replaced a washer it was because of a costly transmission.

Great warranty and great customer service. I'm told parts are not expensive, easy to work on, etc.......(although I never needed to.....)

Clothes come out almost dry. Washer spins at 1000 rpm's Makes drying time WAY less.
We would not own anything else, at least for now.

Also, the units cost much less then the front loaders

My wife loves the top loading dryer. Lint trap is a container on the inside of the unit. It has a moisture sensor that stops when the clothes are dry. Many different cycles. The tops come off of both for easy cleaning. The dryer alternates spins for no wrinkles, etc.

I do wish they sold a stackable set for our Florida home, but not yet. :'(

They sell them at Lowe's and other places.....worth at least a look.....

Frank D.

TomW
09-02-2008, 12:03 AM
I wanted to add a comment on the longevity of Kenmore's. In 37 years of marriage we are on our second Kenmore washer and dryer. The "new" ones were purchased in the mid 80's.

Consumer reports has an article on washers and generally favors the front loaders. Never heard of a problem with mold and, in fact, according to CR, the front loaders removes more water from the clothes due to their higher spin rates which also reduces the amount of drying needed.

MickyV
03-29-2014, 11:19 AM
Have had mine for 2 years, from sears, love love love it

Happinow
03-29-2014, 12:16 PM
Kat, I have a friend who bought front loaders 3 years ago. She says they are wonderful and extremely energy efficient.

I had a pair of stackables where I used to live, as my laundry room wasn't set up for side by side. I am short and the dryer was on top. It was a bit difficult to reach it. If you aren't 5'8" or taller I would suggest you not have stackables. Using a step stool could be dangerous.

Happinow
03-29-2014, 12:20 PM
The only complaint I have with my front loaders is that I'm not sure they use enough water. It seems that they save too much water. I don't see my clothes sloshing in water when washing. It's more like barely getting them wet. Otherwise, I really like them and I have the drawers under them. If you don't have the drawers under them it's way too low to bend down.

03-29-2014, 12:21 PM
5+ year old thread - now closed.