PDA

View Full Version : Sleep Apnea

bimmertl
08-14-2008, 09:15 PM
Interesting article with reference to Lady Lake.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/2008-08-13-snorecost_N.htm?loc=interstitialskip

efrahin
08-14-2008, 10:03 PM
They are ripping off Medicare, that is what they are doing. The company who sells the masks is ResMed. The stock has gone from $1.34 in 1996 and after 3 splits, it is now at 44.54 There are many people getting rich on Medicare, they are the one bankrupting the sysltem. Another ripoff is the motorized round-around and the likes.

renielarson
08-15-2008, 01:00 AM
From a personal experience...

My husband was diagnosed with sleep apnea 30 years ago and has used a C-Pap ever since. Last Christmas, while in TV, his mask broke. We called around and found one available but it could only be purchased if a prescription was written by his doctor. This seemed ludicrous because he wasn't looking for a new machine....just a simple mask.

The problem we encountered was that his doctor required another sleep study before he would write a prescription. Luckily, my hubs was able to rig the mask so he could use it.

When we returned home, instead of going through another sleep study for just a new mask, he found one on the Internet.

FYI..he buys new C-Pap machines on the Internet, too, There's a local company who will calibrate it for him without a prescription. After 30 years experience, he knows what his settings need to be and he likes to have more than one machine at his disposal (in case one dies in the middle of the night).

swrinfla
08-19-2008, 08:00 PM
bright:

I hope that Himself (and you) will join TV's sleep apnea support group (A.W.A.K.E.) which meets the second Monday of each month at 6:30pm at Bridgeport Recreation Center. His long-standing association with this malady may give many of the group some good advice, and I'm sure he has some ways around the increasingly complex system!

SWR

renielarson
08-19-2008, 08:30 PM
Thanks swrinfla...we'll keep the group in mind when we move down there permanently.

gemorc
09-05-2008, 01:24 AM
They are ripping off Medicare, that is what they are doing. The company who sells the masks is ResMed. The stock has gone from $1.34 in 1996 and after 3 splits, it is now at 44.54 There are many people getting rich on Medicare, they are the one bankrupting the sysltem. Another ripoff is the motorized round-around and the likes.

I am getting pretty tired of this type of tirade. Everyone is ripping off the system unless you or someone in your family needs something. I use my machine nightly. Without it I could DIE. The lady next door to me, in TV, would be totally homebound without her mobile wheelchair.

ResMed stock went up, big deal, so did the oil companies. We still need the oil, don't we?

diskman
09-05-2008, 02:58 AM
I don't get it somebody thinks sleep apnea is not for real? what is wrong with you?
Believe me people don't sleep with a cpap machine unless they need it.
:edit: you have too much time on your hands. :dontknow: :cus:

Blondie
09-05-2008, 03:28 AM
Sleep Apnea is very serious and frightening for those who suffer from it as well as those who sleep next to someone who suffers from it. My husband had a brain tumor and developed central sleep apnea. He would stop breathing for a minute or longer many times a night. After he developed it, I slept very little many nights b/c I was afraid he would not start breathing again. He died 7 years ago, and I still have difficulty sleeping for long periods of time.

md bondie

renielarson
09-05-2008, 03:37 AM
I can remember lying in bed afraid to go to sleep for fear of my husband dying while he slept. He would stop breathing for 45 seconds or more and I would poke him in order to get him to take a breath of air and start snoring again.

His snoring became music to my ears.

However, we both knew he was at serious risk. Once diagnosed with sleep apnea and fitted with a cpap machine not only could I finally get a full night's sleep but he could also.

Sleep apnea is certainly life threatening and I don't care who is ripping who off...my husband needs it and we'll pay whatever we have to...his life is worth every penny...even if it has to come out of my pocket!

Boomer
09-05-2008, 03:41 AM
I have three friends whose husbands use these machines. As I understand it, sleep apnea has a correlation to heart disease. Sleep apnea is nothing to mess with. Using these machines has been life changing for people that I know. We underestimate the importance of good sleep.

Boomer