PDA

View Full Version : Tom Brady, NFLPA file lawsuit over DeflateGate Suspension

2BNTV
07-30-2015, 11:57 AM
Like Yogi Berra always says, "It ain't over, till it's over".

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/tom-brady-nflpa-file-lawsuit-deflategate-ban-article-1.2308858

IMHO - This will dragged through the courts and it all probability, the NFLPA will win again, as they did with Adrian Peterson and Ray Rice.

Roger Goodell as commissioner, will become a mere figurehead, in all future rulings, as his power will be corroded.

I miss the days when sports was about the game and it's players, the scores, and not about courts and rulings, that change the essence of the game. I'm not saying all was well when the owners had all of the power and treated players, like a cheap commodity.

OH WELL!!!

misky
07-30-2015, 01:13 PM
I agree that the union will win. And rightfully so. Greg Hardy got 4 games for almost killing his wife! Brady's penalty doesn't fit the crime. Go Pats!

Jima64
07-30-2015, 01:28 PM
Sure wish The owner had been supportive from the start. Innocent until proven guilty or so I thought.

DonH57
07-30-2015, 02:12 PM
The whole thing of Goodell being involved on the appeal process is a big sham. He should never have been part of it. Chances are he won't be commissioner much longer.

villagetinker
07-30-2015, 02:34 PM
It will be interesting if while taking this to a higher court the text messages are suddenly retrieved from some server somewhere. I would bet just because these are deleted from the phone, like email, they live on forever on a server somewhere.

simpkinp
07-30-2015, 08:16 PM
Goodell lets the felons resume play with minor penalties and picks on Brady. Boo. Goodell needs to go. Where the heck is his head.

johnboy
08-17-2015, 08:34 AM
Let football run football, baseball run baseball, hockey run hockey, basketball
run basketball. Ridiculous to get the higher courts involved in games!

hchilds@massmed.org
08-31-2015, 10:36 AM
It's my understanding that there have to date been no valid scientific studies about the effect of football inflation pressure changes from the norm upon performance, e.g. % change in pass distance, successful receives, amount of pressure change on a warm day vs. in very cold conditions, etc. Very difficult to design a good study, given the large variations in velocity, hand size, gloves worn (or not) and type, etc. Even if the Patriots' balls were slightly depressurized, lacking such scientific evidence, Goodell's "findings"are non-factual, and represent opinion and bias. I don't understand why Kraft paid the $1 million fine, since this weakens their case, but this whole affair stands as a sordid abuse of process, should be thrown out by the judge, and Goodell should be censured. Power corrupts...

John_W
08-31-2015, 01:18 PM
Going back as far as Watergate, how many times have we found that the cover-up is the bigger crime than the actual crime. The NFL is under the assumption where there's smoke, there's fire. If Brady had never destroyed his telephone this whole case would of ended long ago. Discussing the merits of whether an under-inflated football is easier to handle and throw is not the question. It's who directed the lockerroom boys to deflate the footballs. Once again, the cover-up (destroy the phone) is worse than the crime. Throw in the Patriots past history and the whole thing snow-balled and neither side is willing to backdown.

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQE6evc088pqHXpV5PCIkq1HR-KyHheecNCnOnuL9CXFwWJ47H3

BS Beef
08-31-2015, 02:08 PM
Going back as far as Watergate, how many times have we found that the cover-up is the bigger crime than the actual crime. The NFL is under the assumption where there's smoke, there's fire. If Brady had never destroyed his telephone this whole case would of ended long ago. Discussing the merits of whether an under-inflated football is easier to handle and throw is not the question. It's who directed the lockerroom boys to deflate the footballs. Once again, the cover-up (destroy the phone) is worse than the crime. Throw in the Patriots past history and the whole thing snow-balled and neither side is willing to backdown.

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQE6evc088pqHXpV5PCIkq1HR-KyHheecNCnOnuL9CXFwWJ47H3

Well said John_W. I would add regardless whether it's easier to throw or catch an under inflated ball it IS a rule. I'm wondering if all the posters that are Patriot fans would hold the same opinion if it were another team that were cheating. :shrug:

yesi3putt2
08-31-2015, 03:02 PM
the referee puts the ball on the line of scrimage after every play and they change balls with every possession change, with each team providing their own football, so it's not like the opponent had to play with an under inflated ball...why wouldn't the officials recognize that and penalize the team on the spot?

biker1
08-31-2015, 03:08 PM
Destroying a cellphone is not evidence of anything. The Patriot's past history is also not evidence of any wrong doing. There is no evidence of any cover-up. Chances are the NFL is going to get slapped down on this. BTW, I am not a Patriot's fan. I just think Goodell overstepped on this.

bagboy
08-31-2015, 03:40 PM
I am not a Patriots fan, or even an NFL fan for that matter. Brady said he didn't order the balls deflated. I'm not saying they were or weren't intentionaly deflated. I do recall the investigator saying that it appears highly likely that Brady may have had knowledge, seriously ??? If that is the standard the NFL is using in this case, then I think it falls way short of any proof,and very short of even circumstantial evidence.

Duke-SRT
08-31-2015, 04:19 PM
From what I understand tampering with game equipment carries a 25 thousand dollar fine, period!! As far as what was on Brady's phone, I'm sure that no player would want the league to see their personal messages with the way things leak out.

DonH57
08-31-2015, 06:21 PM
From what I understand tampering with game equipment carries a 25 thousand dollar fine, period!! As far as what was on Brady's phone, I'm sure that no player would want the league to see their personal messages with the way things leak out.

Wasn't the phone records retrieved and found no texting or messages with reference to footballs on Tom Brady's phone but texts concerning his pool cover and other personal conversations leaked out. I feel Roger should step down before he further embarrasses the league.

Bosoxfan
08-31-2015, 07:58 PM
I feel Roger should step down before he further embarrasses the league.[/QUOTE]

I agree but it sure would be nice if Goodell had to hand The Super Bowl MVP to Brady right after he handed the Patriots their 5th Lombardi trophy!

DonH57
08-31-2015, 08:36 PM
I feel Roger should step down before he further embarrasses the league.

I agree but it sure would be nice if Goodell had to hand The Super Bowl MVP to Brady right after he handed the Patriots their 5th Lombardi trophy![/QUOTE]

You are absolutely right on that. I agree.:coolsmiley:

2BNTV
09-01-2015, 05:09 AM
Final ruling is to be made on Friday, Sept 4th by the judge.

duhbear
09-01-2015, 08:48 AM
Goodell lets the felons resume play with minor penalties and picks on Brady. Boo. Goodell needs to go. Where the heck is his head.

But the felons aren't cheating during the game like Brady did (and he and his team have done in the past)!

l2ridehd
09-01-2015, 09:04 AM
Every professional sports figure that has ever played any game has always had some preference for something. Baseball pitchers rough the ball up for 5 minutes before using it. Golfers have to have a certain ball or grip or something. Basketball players have to have a ball that bounces a certain way. Hockey players always want some special tape on the stick.

And so many times those "special things" are on the very edge of what the legal limits are.

The league is sick of Brady winning all the time and want to find something, anything to find issues. I hope the players associan wins and Goodell goes bye bye.

biker1
09-01-2015, 09:04 AM
There is no evidence that Brady has cheated. In addition, there is no evidence that Brady has cheated in the past. What the Patriot's organization has done in the past has no bearing on the current situation. If you disagree, please post actual facts and not your opinion.

But the felons aren't cheating during the game like Brady did (and he and his team have done in the past)!

bulldogskid
09-01-2015, 10:24 AM
There is no evidence that Brady has cheated. In addition, there is no evidence that Brady has cheated in the past. What the Patriot's organization has done in the past has no bearing on the current situation. If you disagree, please post actual facts and not your opinion.

No opinions? Kind of defeats the purpose of a forum.

dbussone
09-01-2015, 10:31 AM

Opinions are certainly welcome, and frequently enjoyable to read and comment upon. Facts, every now and then (or as often as possible), provide the basis for expansion of one's shared knowledge base.

biker1
09-01-2015, 10:32 AM
Maybe for you. I prefer to deal with facts.

Duke-SRT
09-01-2015, 04:26 PM
It's a good thing the Patriots were playing with a deflated ball in the first half of the colts game, because if they were playing with a regulation football the score would have been 90 to 7 instead of 45 to7. Seems a lot of people hate a winner.

dbussone
09-01-2015, 04:45 PM
It's a good thing the Patriots were playing with a deflated ball in the first half of the colts game, because if they were playing with a regulation football the score would have been 90 to 7 instead of 45 to7. Seems a lot of people hate a winner.

Or another way to say it: whiners hate winners.

biker1
09-01-2015, 05:12 PM
Also, the ball was handled by the officials every down and they failed to notice anything.

Dr Winston O Boogie jr
09-01-2015, 05:32 PM
This whole procedure is absurd. The fact that Goodell acts as the arbiter is ridiculous. But, as absurd as it sounds, this is what the NFLPA agreed to. Brady and the Patriots may have a problem. I thought that it was an open and shut case, but this judge could rule in favor of the NFL based on this bad agreement.

MarkinMd
09-01-2015, 05:32 PM

If that was meant to be a pun (the way things leak out) you are brilliant,lol.

tophcfa
09-07-2015, 06:16 PM
It is a badge of honor for all Pat's players and fans to be so hated. Can't out work us, can't out smart us, and certainly can't beat us, so the haters resort to accusing the greatest team in football of cheating with absolutely no facts to back it up. Keep it coming!

dbussone
09-07-2015, 07:31 PM
It is a badge of honor for all Pat's players and fans to be so hated. Can't out work us, can't out smart us, and certainly can't beat us, so the haters resort to accusing the greatest team in football of cheating with absolutely no facts to back it up. Keep it coming!

Whiners do whine, don't they. Go Pats.

ajbrown
09-07-2015, 07:36 PM

That should swing them over to the Pat's (our) side :22yikes::D

Dr Winston O Boogie jr
09-08-2015, 06:29 AM
I read that Goodell plans to appeal this decision. My God! Does the man simply enjoy abuse? Does he really like getting his butt handed to him every few months?

Let it go Roger. You were wrong to suspend a player with no evidence and you're only making a fool of yourself and wasting the league's money by pursuing this further.

BIGPOPPA
09-08-2015, 07:42 AM
This is hard for a GIANTS fan to admit. BRADY is innocent, Goodell is a fool. I wasn't there but come on it's football not checkers. Let them play they won fair & square.

MarkinMd
09-08-2015, 07:45 AM
Good luck this year. I really want to see you win Game 1. (Ravens fan here).