PDA

View Full Version : Dominics Closed at LSL

JLSGreys03
08-16-2008, 01:07 AM
They closed today Friday Aug/15/2008

samhass
08-16-2008, 01:10 AM
The Villages, Florida
RIP Domenic's. What an ever changing landscape we have.

chelsea24
08-16-2008, 03:07 AM
Wow! I know they had some bad reviews from people. As I stated in another post, the one and only time we were there was with a large group. The food was very good and the service was great. I understand that others did not have the same experience.

Now that leaves two corners empty. :o

Barefoot
08-16-2008, 03:16 AM
I'm so sorry to hear that. Fireboy and I had several wonderful meals there. Especially on Valentine's Day when they took pictures of each couple and gave them out as souvenirs.

I better hurry back to TV or I won't even recognize it. No Dominics, no Whiskey Creek, no Buffalo. :'(

trichard
08-16-2008, 12:43 PM
It's about time it closed. All of my experiences at Dominic's left a lot to be desired both from the quality of the food and service. Let's get a good restaurant in its place!

Taltarzac
08-16-2008, 12:47 PM
The Villages, Florida.

Only ate there once for my 2-24 birthday special meal, did not like it that much. Had actually got Subway on 2-24 as the lines were too long on that actual day last year or the year beore??

Donna
08-16-2008, 01:04 PM
Tal..Why is every one writing TV,Fl., before every post????

Donna
08-16-2008, 01:06 PM
I thought our meal was very good, the one time we ate there..Oh well, another one bites the dust! ::)

KathieI
08-16-2008, 01:08 PM
The Villages, FL The Villages, FL The Villages, FL The Villages, FL

Donna, that's what I questioned last night but check the thread set up by Jan named Spyders.. It will explain everything.

Donna
08-16-2008, 01:09 PM
Thanks Kathi :bigthumbsup:

Taltarzac
08-16-2008, 01:10 PM
Tal..Why is every one writing TV,Fl., before every post????

The Villages, Florida.

Talk Host requested this to try to get TOTV further up the Google search result line. It is in 10th right now when you Google "The Villages". This is through AOL though http://aolsearch.aol.com/aol/search?encquery=72c96fe6f494374aff5287f1c9e7e2b6&invocationType=keyword_rollover&ie=UTF-8

Donna
08-16-2008, 01:17 PM
http://img365.imageshack.us/img365/5303/z48a6d2b32b5e4ku9.gif (http://www.dazzlejunction.com/generators/glitter-text/)

Thanks Tal..

beady
08-16-2008, 01:27 PM
The Villages,FL

I will repeat what others have said...I had a good experience at Dominic's....sorry to see another restaurant close....especially in LSL.

I love going to the squares for dinner and am sorry to see my choices dwindling. :cus:

aln
08-16-2008, 02:53 PM
I'm disappointed too.
Ate there 4-5 times over the last 2 years. Had lunch & dinner with and without guests.
Never disappointed.

NEED a good continental cuisine on the square at LSL

samhass
08-16-2008, 03:12 PM
I wish the rents in the squares were not exorbitant. (I've heard they are.) The shops and restaurants are vital in attracting people to the squares.

judylou
08-16-2008, 03:24 PM
The Villages, Florida
We took our Red Hat group there for lunch. The place was not busy and we had seventeen girls. Some of our party was done eating before some of them got any lunch at all. The service was terrible and the food wasn't all that great. So you have seventeen unhappy telling at least thirteen other people about their lousy meal and it doesn't take long before your business goes down the drain.
That place should be a gold mine. It is a beautiful restaurant with an outstanding location. It is just going to take a good manager with good help to make it go.

Indy-Guy
08-16-2008, 05:47 PM
The Villages, Florida

We went to Giovannis in Southern Trace Plaza on Wednesday night. Got there at 5:00 and I think we got the last available table. Food and service was great. Not hard to see why they are busy and Dominics closed. Food and service is the difference of night and day. The couple that were with us said that the gal working the carry out phone was taking orders from the time we got there till we left. When we left there were about 20 people waiting for a table.

I wish they would open where Dominics was they would do great there. They are probably very happy where they are they just need more room.

Good food and service will make it more times than not.

villages07
08-16-2008, 06:01 PM
Rode by Dominics today...the computer printed sign in the window says "Closed by Management".....forever, temporaily while they retool, or what?

JLSGreys03
08-16-2008, 07:05 PM
Closed forever...

Barefoot
08-16-2008, 07:32 PM
The Villages, Florida

We went to Giovannis in Southern Trace Plaza on Wednesday night. Got there at 5:00 and I think we got the last available table. When we left there were about 20 people waiting for a table.

The Villages, Florida

We enjoy Giovannis as well, but it is tiny! People in line for seats have to wait on the sidewalk. Indy Guy is right, they'd do well at LSL.

zcaveman
08-16-2008, 08:50 PM
The Villages, Florida

Maybe if the owners or managers of the various restaurants and service type stores in TV would join TOTV and check out what is said about them, they might be able to direct their attention to their problem areas. People will post their problems but not tell the management of the restaurant. It is usually a waste of time since when you do tell them it falls on deaf ears because they think you are are one of a kind and are trying to hustle them for a free meal.

I actually told a service oriented business manager that his business was getting a bad reputation on TOTV for not returning telephone calls. He checked it out on TOTV and made some changes.

Shirleevee
08-16-2008, 08:55 PM
The Villages, Florida

Loved Dominics pizza.........this NY'er thought it was the best. We took friends there and had good food

Shirleevee

Mintjulep
08-17-2008, 12:10 AM
The Villages, Florida

Loved Dominics pizza.........this NY'er thought it was the best. We took friends there and had good food

Shirleevee

I agree, this North Carolinian thought so too.
Had a late lunch (pizza) there last week.
Didn't know it would be my last one.

blueeagle65
08-19-2008, 11:58 AM
Today's Daily Sun had an insert in it advertising one of those financial planning/investment things being held at Dominic's several days next month. Do you suppose the guy knows? Or maybe they'll just turn it in to a meeting facility.

rdhdleo
08-20-2008, 01:53 AM
We thought when Dominics first opened they had terrific food and wonderful service. That lasted maybe a year or so. Then new management took over, the menu changed alot and service went down hill. The last 2 times we went the food was awful as was the service, we never went back. It's too bad the new management didn't know what they were doing. Hopefully we'll get something better even in it's place. And whoever said the rents are horribly high was right. I don't know how some places survive! The devlopers can be pretty greedy!

Puterguru
08-20-2008, 12:15 PM
WThe devlopers can be pretty greedy!

::) ::) Greed has nothing to do with it. The "Developers" have given us this wonderful place and spent lots of money that really didn't need to be spent.

It's called "Economics 101". If they are asking $2000 per month and someone is willing to pay it then their asking price is on target. If they are asking $3000 per month and no one is willing to pay that, it stays empty for a long time, they bring the price down.

See how that works?

JLSGreys03
08-22-2008, 10:55 PM
::) ::) Greed has nothing to do with it. The "Developers" have given us this wonderful place and spent lots of money that really didn't need to be spent.

It's called "Economics 101". If they are asking $2000 per month and someone is willing to pay it then their asking price is on target. If they are asking $3000 per month and no one is willing to pay that, it stays empty for a long time, they bring the price down.

See how that works?

You have no idea what you are talking about the rent is not 2,000 or 3,000.00 no where near that I was try about 15,000.00 a month! Whiskey Creek was paying 15,000.00 a month so sir I know for a fact that Doms was paying near that... No one could start a restruant at the price is cost to start a new resturant and pay 15,000 for rent get your story right

villages07
08-22-2008, 11:14 PM
JLS,

I think you took puterguru too literally. He/She used examples of supply/demand rent vs value and did not state these were actual figures for LSL locations.

But, if you know for a fact that rents are $15K/month that is enlightening.

Barefoot
08-23-2008, 02:38 AM
See how that works?

Exactly, basic economics! Thanks for the examples. And the strong, well-managed businesses will survive.

samhass
08-23-2008, 03:30 AM
Well said, Peterguru.

Muncle
08-23-2008, 04:32 AM
You have no idea what you are talking about the rent is not 2,000 or 3,000.00 no where near that I was try about 15,000.00 a month! Whiskey Creek was paying 15,000.00 a month so sir I know for a fact that Doms was paying near that... No one could start a restruant at the price is cost to start a new resturant and pay 15,000 for rent get your story right

I tried to interpret and think maybe i got your gist. it doesn't matter if the asking price/rent is 2,000, 15,000, or 50,000. if there are customers/renters who want to pay the price, it's valid. if not, it's too high.

you say, i think, that no one can start a restaurant while paying 15,000 rent. maybe so, maybe not, but that's the problem of the renter, not the developer. if you know you cannot support that overhead, don't open. it does the owner/developer no good to have failing businesses.

jtdraig
08-23-2008, 09:38 PM
It's not all economics 101...rents are too high. There is a high rate of failure, particularly in restaurants and lots of empty store fronts so you don't quite get the feeling that all is well here. A lively, bustling Lake Sumter Landing with lots of open stores is really one of the capstones that says success. Walking around in that environment makes you want to live here..empty storefronts and closed restaurants are problematical. Something is amiss in the business plan that drove these rents (Yes, Whiskey Creek and Dominics did pay rents close to those numbers). So, you have to turn tables 3x at restaurants and have a VERY lively bar and banquet schedule just to survive. Yes, there is supply and demand and then there is realistic supply and demand that adjusts to the economic conditions. Can't wait to see if something decent goes into Dominc's and Whiskey Creek and how long they last. It's all very interesting.....

Skip
08-29-2008, 01:59 PM
Goldie: Go talk to Sandy Bonnie at Garvinos. They are looking for fresh talent.

Skip

Skip
09-03-2008, 06:04 PM
Goldie...: Is this Keith and his wife?

Skip

vitacr
09-05-2008, 03:20 AM
For what it's worth..............I heard the latest scuttlebut is they will build an outside bar (like Urban Flats) and then reopen.