PDA

View Full Version : Windows 10 Problem

JEB01
08-07-2015, 01:40 PM
I have a friend here in TV who downloaded Windows 10. It worked for him and he explored a bit, etc., using it. Before closing it, MS indicated add'l updates were needed and would load - instructed him not to turn the PC off and that to would turn itself off when completed. He waited overnight and when he booted today, first Windows 10 screen that presents requires password. He says he did not enter a password when he downloaded, nor did he have one on Windows 7 from which he upgraded. He and I both realize WIndows 10 is likely looking for an Admin password but he has no recollection of ever having created one and certainly not when downloading Windows 10.

His dilemma is that he cannot get past the p'word screen and there is no SAFE MODE boot available. Looking for suggestions / expertise to resolve this. Will deeply appreciate any thoughts or name of any experts who can talk him through this frustrating exercise. Thanks in advance.

Update 10:30 pm same day: as promised, Microsoft called him. They gave him a few keystrokes that will help him maneuver past the opening page and get him to a page where he can setup a pword or get his forgotten Microsoft account password (if that is the case). Gotta' say - a given the likely volume of issues they are handling worldwide with a rollout, MS did the right thing and did get BAK to him as promised.

THANK YOU to all who answered this post. Your generosity in sharing is amazing. Good advice from all. I passed all of your comments on to my friend and he is most appreciative.

Polar Bear
08-07-2015, 01:46 PM
Windows 7 would have had at least one administrator level account, even if it was just a user account with administrative rights. Could that be what it's looking for?

vlm790
08-07-2015, 01:51 PM
maybe just hit the arrow to bypass the password. act as though it was put in.

Sail41
08-07-2015, 02:27 PM
Does he need a password when he turns on his computer? It may be the same. However, if you have a windows account, either on another device ie windows phone, that would be the password I would try. I had windows 7 and required a password upon turning on the computer. With 10, I had to have an account and it requires that password to get the computer going. So far it's working good, but will take quite of bit of new learning to get comfortable with 10.

Jima64
08-07-2015, 02:57 PM
I believe they wanted a microsoft account password. I did the windows 10 upgrade, then the updates and for the update I used my microsoft password and account name. To use windows when I normally turn on my computer I use my administrator password to use the computer.

Jima64
08-07-2015, 03:02 PM
If he ever gets past this password problem and decides he doesn't like 10 he has 30 days to restore back to his wndows 7. I had too many conflicts on my game computer and had to do this. After 30 days windows removes his windows 7 and it becomes more difficult.

twoplanekid
08-07-2015, 03:17 PM
Having worked with Microsoft for over 30 years on many of their best operating systems they ever made, I would recommend everyone wait a while before installing Windows 10 which is another one of their best operating systems they have ever made.

Mimivillager
08-07-2015, 03:34 PM
JEB01
If you can do this for your friend-I know he cannot get on his computer
Go to thevillagescomputerclub.com and click on About us , then click on Officers
There you will find names and phone numbers of fellow villagers who can help
This club is wonderful and meets 2 times a month. They will come to your house for a fee.

Ragman
08-07-2015, 03:51 PM
Having worked with Microsoft for over 30 years on many of their best operating systems they ever made, I would recommend everyone wait a while before installing Windows 10 which is another one of their best operating systems they have ever made.

My main computer guru has advised me to wait at least 6 months to install Windows 10 so Microsoft has time to work out the glitches.

If you don't really need the upgrade right now, I think that is good advice.

REDCART
08-07-2015, 03:53 PM
Coincidentally I also installed Windws 10 on an HP desktop PC on Wednesday. Took approximately 90 minutes from download thru install and several automated restarts. Complete process went smoothly. Yesterday, there were several updates. Updates also went smoothly but I'm not a gamer and only use MS Office on this PC. Windows 10 migrated my user password from Win 7. The first time I tried the password in Win 10 I used the numeric keypad and it didn't work. (Numlock was on). I then tried the numbers on the top keyboard row, and user login worked. I've used the numeric keypad subsequently and that now works. I do not recall ever having a MS account or an MS password.

NYGUY
08-07-2015, 08:27 PM
In mid July I bought a new 2 in 1 with Windows 8.1. I had a computer guy set up the new computer and he did a fix so that I did not need to input a password. I reserved a Windows 10 update and am waiting for notice that the download is available for me. I am hoping the password fix will transfer over to 10 (my password is from many moons ago when I had an MSN email a/c..I am lucky I remembered it).

Cedwards38
08-08-2015, 06:56 AM
I'm also waiting for download notification. For those of you that have it already, what does 10 have that 7 doesn't? Thanks.

Biker Dog
08-08-2015, 07:41 AM
:mad:I did a windows10 download and install on my windows7 laptop. I am the admin on my laptop. Windows10 made ALL my "document files" read only. It said I need to have the admin approval to remove the read only.. After working with it for almost 24 hours, I uninstalled windows10 and now I am using my windows7. HOWEVER, all my "document files" are still read only with the same statement to contact the admin to remove read only.

I have found a way to get around the problem but have not found a fix. BTW the property attributes do not show them as read only.

Typical microsoft glitches.:loco:

graciegirl
08-08-2015, 07:46 AM

I very much respect this advice knowing your background. Would you think of consulting in TV? Many people would use your expertise.

red tail
08-08-2015, 08:03 AM
I have it and I am not having any problems whatsoever. of course never say never...

tomwed
08-08-2015, 08:17 AM
:mad:I did a windows10 download and install on my windows7 laptop. I am the admin on my laptop. Windows10 made ALL my "document files" read only. It said I need to have the admin approval to remove the read only.. After working with it for almost 24 hours, I uninstalled windows10 and now I am using my windows7. HOWEVER, all my "document files" are still read only with the same statement to contact the admin to remove read only.

I have found a way to get around the problem but have not found a fix. BTW the property attributes do not show them as read only.

Typical microsoft glitches.:loco:
How are you getting around the problem?

Biker Dog
08-08-2015, 08:18 AM
I have it and I am not having any problems whatsoever. of course never say never...

Good Luck.

Biker Dog
08-08-2015, 08:24 AM
How are you getting around the problem?

I put a new folder in my Library and on my desktop and named it Docs... I copied all my "document files" to the Docs folder on my desktop and copied that Docs folder files into the Docs folder in my Library. None of the files showed as read only and they all work as they should.

Hope that helps you.

Chi-Town
08-08-2015, 08:24 AM
I went from XP to 8.1. It has been an unpleasant journey. Willing to go to 10 out of desperation and am anxious to learn more about it.

jebartle
08-08-2015, 09:39 AM
A neighbor after receiving call regarding free download of Windows 10, has had to take both of her computers to the Geek Squad for repair and recovery.

tomwed
08-08-2015, 09:43 AM
When you download 10 is it a fresh install or an update?

Polar Bear
08-08-2015, 10:00 AM
I just upgraded using the free upgrade from Windows 8.1. So far so good. <crosses fingers>.

The advice to wait a while until going to 10 is pretty sound. Unless you really need features of a new OS, waiting can help you avoid some of the early glitches. I've always been an early-adopter-glutton-for-punishment type that enjoys having the latest OS as soon as possible. :)

Many of the differences are interface related...giving you the option to use the newer Windows 8 interface, while restoring the Windows 7 start menu. It's not just picking one or the other though. They are integrated very well together IMHO, allowing you to use the best from each as you determine that to be.

Of course there are under-the-hood changes also...you'll typically see faster boot times for instance, always a good thing, and general performance improvements. I think...pretty early to be sure, at least for me...that gamers and those who use high-level graphics and other such applications will like 10.

FYI, here are a couple of links comparing Windows 10 with Windows 7. I looked at quite a few. I thought these were the best...

Windows 7 vs Windows 10 comparison: What's the difference? - Review - PC Advisor (http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/review/operating-systems-software/windows-7-vs-window-10-comparison-review-3617974/)

Here (http://www.howtogeek.com/219034/here%E2%80%99s-what%E2%80%99s-different-about-windows-10-for-windows-7-users/)

dbussone
08-08-2015, 11:29 AM
When you download 10 is it a fresh install or an update?

Update to a new OS

dbussone
08-08-2015, 11:32 AM
I use MS OneDrive to keep a backup of my docs and other files synced. Have updated 3 laptops to Windows 10 without incident. Knock on wood.

REDCART
08-08-2015, 11:39 AM
A neighbor after receiving call regarding free download of Windows 10, has had to take both of her computers to the Geek Squad for repair and recovery.

I'm curious. Who called? Sounds very suspicious. Microsoft does not call and if someone identified themselves as such I'd hang up immediately.

Jima64
08-08-2015, 12:01 PM
I got on the microsoft list about a month ago and a few days ago got themnotice that my update was ready to be installed. Basically painless for a laptop and a desktop game computer. Restored the game computer back to windows 7 because of a conpatavility provlem vut ecrything else worked perfect. This update to 10 was the easiest update I have experienced. You also get 30 days to try ten because they do not remove your precious windows installation for 30 days. My uninstall of 10 on the game computer took less than 15 minutes. You can google windows ten renoval and see the instructions.

dbussone
08-08-2015, 12:19 PM
I'm curious. Who called? Sounds very suspicious. Microsoft does not call and if someone identified themselves as such I'd hang up immediately.

You are so correct. The invitation for Windows 10 is an app that shows up on your task bar.

JoMar
08-08-2015, 01:08 PM
Does anyone know when the free upgrade expires?

Mimivillager
08-08-2015, 01:11 PM

1 year

champion6
08-08-2015, 02:52 PM
Does anyone know when the free upgrade expires?1 yearJuly 29, 2016 to be exact. More info here: Windows 10 FAQ & Tips - Microsoft (http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/Windows-10-faq)

Shimpy
08-08-2015, 03:52 PM
My main computer guru has advised me to wait at least 6 months to install Windows 10 so Microsoft has time to work out the glitches.

If you don't really need the upgrade right now, I think that is good advice.

I've got 8.1 and am going to wait a min. of 6 months.

billethkid
08-08-2015, 11:03 PM
After reviewing the cpmparison link provided by polar bear I see nothing that incents me to get Windows 10 until after all the fluff and stuff is shaken out.

I am content with Windows 7.

tomwed
08-09-2015, 10:25 AM
I am not sure what an update does. Just the fact that you can revert to Windows 7 makes me wonder if it converts files adding more files and chances of corruption. On the other hand, maybe what is saved is your compressed windows 7 OS and files. Just like Ghost use to do.

I know a fresh install wipes aways all the old settings and corrupt files. That's why whenever anyone asks me to help them fix their computer I always try to point them to do a fresh install. If they format first, that's even better. It takes a little longer and you do need to go to windows for all the updates later but the computer will run like the day you brought it home.

I don't believe Microsoft has a good enough track record for me to convert right now. Considering the amount of hardware that is compatable; that windows works at all is still an amazing engineering accomplishment.

Apple has complete control of the hardware and software. That's what you are paying for and I think the gap has closed quite a bit since the "good old days" when they used to charge $60/hr for repairs.

jj6426
08-09-2015, 11:03 AM
It was wonderful to read about all your experiences--and opinions-- of Windows 10. It took me a long time to learn Windows 8.1---(and I still don't understand everything about it) -- and was anxious to try Windows 10, if it was going to be easier. But now I will wait--thanks to your advice TWOPLANEKID and Ragman--for them to get all the glitches out.

wereback
08-09-2015, 12:24 PM
Have been using for about a week it took a few days to overcome some start up issues but now it really works great I am really starting to like Cortina as she will find nearly anything I ask for even better than Siri. The one great thing is how speed has increased especially on this site. I have a Dell 23 inch touch screen with prior 8.1 which may be why I like 10

SALYBOW
08-09-2015, 09:14 PM
I got Win 19 free so I installed it. Now I cannot print because it goes to HP eprint and you need a claim code. None or the ways they tell you to get it to work for me. Do I need to get a new printer? :boom::Screen_of_Death:

rjm1cc
08-09-2015, 09:35 PM

Open for 1 year.

Loudoll
08-09-2015, 10:57 PM
I got Win 19 free so I installed it. Now I cannot print because it goes to HP eprint and you need a claim code. None or the ways they tell you to get it to work for me. Do I need to get a new printer? :boom::Screen_of_Death:

You only need to reinstall your printer ....or....you may need a new printer driver and maybe software which you can download at your printer manufacturer's site.

Loudoll
08-09-2015, 11:00 PM
I upgraded two laptops to windows 10: an 8.1 and a 7.
They became lightening fast after this upgrade, however, my husband missed his 8.1 and I missed my 7, the snipping tool, etc. so I downgraded both back to where they came from.
No ill effects from any of this, thank God. We did need our Microsoft password though.

SALYBOW
08-10-2015, 12:11 PM
You only need to reinstall your printer ....or....you may need a new printer driver and maybe software which you can download at your printer manufacturer's site.

Thanks for the info Loudell

zcaveman
08-10-2015, 05:38 PM
I still miss the Start menu. What they have in W10 is worthless.

EDGE is a really poor excuse for a browser. I tried to make IE11 my default and all of a sudden I could not click on any links in Outlook and get them to open in IE. I had to make FireFox my default to see the links. They have no answer.

I went back to Windows 8.1 with my third party Start menu. Will try again later.

Z

gomoho
08-10-2015, 07:56 PM
I am pretty much computer illiterate; however, my husband insisited we upgrade my laptop to Windows 10 this rainy afternoon. Went pretty smoothly, but I'm not happy.
First of all I am still an AOL user from the dinosaur age and for the life of me can't find the house that sat next to the mail icon to return home. Don't like the convoluted way I have to get to my favorites. And the worst part on TOTV and several other sites the back button does not work. So my advice is don't upgrade and could someone please tell me how to get my 8.1 back.

Polar Bear
08-10-2015, 08:06 PM
I certainly understand a new OS causing headaches. But I'm a bit concerned some are judging a little too quickly...especially after going ahead with the installation or upgrade. Some of the issues you're mentioning I simply don't see.

The Start menu can be configured almost any way you want it...to look like 8.1 or 7 or a combination of both. The back button (even on ToTV) works fine for me. If the little house is the "home" button in the browser, that can be turned on by simply toggling an option.

Again, I know new OS's cause a lot of heartburn. And Windows 10 is far from perfect. But I see a lot of good in it and I don't see many of the problems that are being mentioned in this thread. Windows 10 is highly configurable. A feature you want or don't like might be simply a configuration option. There's a LOT to tinker with. Just something to keep in mind.

The biggest negative I've see so far is the limited font-size control.

Good luck all...whether toughing it out with 10 or turning it back to a previous version. :)

rjm1cc
08-11-2015, 11:11 AM
I am pretty much computer illiterate; however, my husband insisited we upgrade my laptop to Windows 10 this rainy afternoon. Went pretty smoothly, but I'm not happy.
First of all I am still an AOL user from the dinosaur age and for the life of me can't find the house that sat next to the mail icon to return home. Don't like the convoluted way I have to get to my favorites. And the worst part on TOTV and several other sites the back button does not work. So my advice is don't upgrade and could someone please tell me how to get my 8.1 back.

I am having problem getting use to 10 but since it will be supported for a number of years I think it is best to switch.

The HOME icon is hidden. To get it back: Click the ... dots in the upper right corner. Select settings at the bottom of the menu. Scroll down the page and you will see advanced setting. Click it and the first menu item lets you add the home icon. In the box below you put the address of what ever you want to open. You can use copy and past functions to add.

Note when you open the ... menu the 8th item is to open with internet explorer. I have not tried this but you might want too.

Loudoll
08-11-2015, 12:26 PM

You have thirty days to switch back and get all your stuff back with it. I upgraded a 7 laptop and an 8.1 laptop and returned both to their original status. Go to recovery to do this. Good luck.

Loudoll
08-11-2015, 12:33 PM
Thanks for the info Loudell

:welcome:

tomwed
08-11-2015, 12:52 PM
I have pointed people to chromebooks because they are simple and inexpensive. I have run into people that are afraid its another learning curve or they just need windows. But look what just happened:
"Acer just announced two Windows 10 notebooks that could help make sure that Chromebooks never make serious headway in the non-education market. The Acer Aspire One Cloudbook 11 and 14 are serious machines that both come not just with Windows 10, but with one-year subscriptions to Office 365 Personal and 1 terabyte of free OneDrive online storage. The 11-inch Cloudbook 11 will sell for $169 starting in August, and the 14-inch Cloudbook 14 will sell for $199 starting in September. Given that Office 365 Personal with 1 terabyte of storage sells for $70, the effective price of Cloudbook 11 is $99, and the Cloudbook 14 is $129."
Good-bye Chromebooks -- Acer's new Windows 10 notebooks just killed you | ITworld (http://www.itworld.com/article/2968437/windows/good-bye-chromebooks-acers-new-windows-10-notebooks-just-killed-you.html)

I would like to play with one of these.

REDCART
08-11-2015, 03:03 PM
Today (8/11) is MS Patch Tuesday. There were at least a dozen patches for Windows 10, which took awhile to download and install. So far no problems with Win 10, other than it's new and finding stuff takes time and effort. MS office 10, as you might expect, performs normally. That's about all I use that PC for.

alwann
08-11-2015, 04:23 PM
I put a new folder in my Library and on my desktop and named it Docs... I copied all my "document files" to the Docs folder on my desktop and copied that Docs folder files into the Docs folder in my Library. None of the files showed as read only and they all work as they should.

Hope that helps you.

Same problem here. Tell me, after taking these steps, what happens when you open and edit a doc? Can you then save it without getting the "read-only" message?

Biker Dog
08-12-2015, 06:36 AM
Same problem here. Tell me, after taking these steps, what happens when you open and edit a doc? Can you then save it without getting the "read-only" message?

Yes as long as you are working out of the "DOCS" fold and not the "document" fold in the library.:coolsmiley:

tomwed
08-12-2015, 10:35 AM
Can your old PC run Windows 10?
Can your old PC run Windows 10? The answer will surprise you | PCWorld (http://www.pcworld.com/article/2951112/hardware/can-your-old-pc-run-windows-10-the-answer-will-surprise-you.html)

The results surprised or better yet amazed me. It's worth trying if you are computer savvy to begin with and have a beater.

gomoho
08-18-2015, 05:49 PM
I am slowly getting use to Windows 10 with one exception. The other night around 3am I heard voices downstairs that led me to believe the TV had turned itself on. When I got up to investigate my computer was running to different videos/infomercials that I had watched quite a while back. I have found if I don't completely shut down every night I wake up to multiple open windows in the morning. Not sure what is going on at night, but it's very peculiar. I also have an issue when typing something I will hear a ding sound and the old blue circle shows up. Have to bring my cursor back to position and start typing again.

villagetinker
08-19-2015, 09:23 AM
I am slowly getting use to Windows 10 with one exception. The other night around 3am I heard voices downstairs that led me to believe the TV had turned itself on. When I got up to investigate my computer was running to different videos/infomercials that I had watched quite a while back. I have found if I don't completely shut down every night I wake up to multiple open windows in the morning. Not sure what is going on at night, but it's very peculiar. I also have an issue when typing something I will hear a ding sound and the old blue circle shows up. Have to bring my cursor back to position and start typing again.

I had (and still have) a similar problem with Windows 7 PC. This drove me nuts (I really do not have far to go) until I realized that the TOUCH PAD tapping function had been turned back on. I am an Eagle typist ( I see a key and I land on it), because of this my thumps occasionally hit the touch pad, causing the next keystrokes to act as commands occasionally. The solution was to turn OFF the tapping capability. Unfortunately, even though I have selected OFF as the default, the tapping is turned on every time I reboot the computer.
This might be what is happening on your Windows 10 PC.
My wife just purchased a Windows 10 PC, so I will be very interested if this solves your problem, or if you come up with a better solution.

tomwed
08-19-2015, 10:37 AM
Warning Sidetrack Alert:
I taught computers to high school students in the 90's and I didn't realize but one of the funnier students was using the mouse connected to the computer to his right and vice versa. He called me over and said there is something wrong with his computer. He said he could get close to the icon but just as he was about to click on it, it would move away.

I said let me try. He was controlling the cursor on the screen that I was looking at and I was moving his mouse around but only looking at my screen. I thought I was getting close to the icon, it would move away.

I took the mouse apart, cleaned the rollers, and the little mouse ball, rebooted, I tried everything before he showed me.

I couldn't stop laughing and then pulled it on a half dozen other teachers and students.

jj6426
08-23-2015, 12:53 PM
Can anyone tell me anything about Windows 10? I, too, have Windows 8.1 and am thinking of moving on to Windows 10. I'm nervous though. It took me quite awhile to figure out 8.1--and even now I don't know that I've got it all down pat--so I"m wondering how difficult the new version is. What specifically have any of you noticed that was different or easier on Windows 10? Thank you for any help!

rubicon
08-23-2015, 01:19 PM
I'm a scared of free stuff

Loudoll
08-23-2015, 01:56 PM
Can anyone tell me anything about Windows 10? I, too, have Windows 8.1 and am thinking of moving on to Windows 10. I'm nervous though. It took me quite awhile to figure out 8.1--and even now I don't know that I've got it all down pat--so I"m wondering how difficult the new version is. What specifically have any of you noticed that was different or easier on Windows 10? Thank you for any help!

If you try Windows 10 you have thirty days to return to your former operating system with all your programs intact. You will have to reinstall your printer however.
I downloaded 10 to my 7 and to my husband's 8.1 and we both gave it a fair trial and both decided we preferred our old so I took them back and it went fine. No problems at all and it returns to the old faster. Good luck.:crap2:

tomwed
08-23-2015, 04:31 PM
I'm waiting for now before I upgrade to 10.

I don't think windows is the best operating system for anyone that is not at least somewhat computer savvy. Apple is a little better but Chrome is the best because you can't break it and no one can take over your machine.

Take a look at this. https://twit.tv/posts/reviews/acer-chromebase-touch-review

What programs are you now running on Windows 8.1? The programs that require the best computers and best software are games.

zcaveman
08-26-2015, 07:27 AM
I upgraded my test win 8.1 laptop to W10. I did not like EDGE so I made IE11 my default browser. For some reason, the system could not find Iexplore.exe. I pointed the system to it with the dialogue box provided. IE11 became the default. My problem now is that when I click on a hyperlink in MS Outlook, it will not open the link in IE11. If I make Firefox the default it works. I reported this to Microsoft in their forum and got several workarounds that did not work. I joined a non-Microsoft windows 10 forum - Windows 10 Forums (http://www.tenforums.com) - where I find out that this is a common problem with all levels of Outlook except Outlook16.

I have reported it several times via the Feedback app in Windows 10. The problem with the Feedback app is that you do not get feedback that says they are working on it.

So far that is my only real stopper to putting Windows 10 on my desktop and my other PC.

Out of curiosity, does anyone else that converted to Windows 10 have a problem opening a hyperlink in Outlook in IE11 if it is the default browser?

BTW: I know it is an Outlook problem because all hyperlinks in any other app will open correctly in the IE11 default browser.

Z