PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone have a Roku?

tomwed
08-14-2015, 09:08 PM
I have two and I'm happy. But I would be even happier if I could link my laptop to the Roku. The Roku site and the app reviewers say it can be done but I couldn't get the app I tried to work. I want to listen to Scribd or read recipes on the kitchen monitor wirelessly with my laptop as the source.

If you don't know how but if you are also interested maybe we can figure it out together in this thread.

Jima64
08-14-2015, 10:25 PM
We use roku on two television. I use the app to control the roku from my ipad sometimes instead of the remotes. Haven't used it on the laptop.

tomwed
08-14-2015, 11:48 PM
We use roku on two television. I use the app to control the roku from my ipad sometimes instead of the remotes. Haven't used it on the laptop.
That's a good feature but not what I am looking for.

I want the content on my laptop, for example an audiobook or recipe linked to my Roku so I can listen or watch it on my TV. That's possible and takes more expertise than I have right now.

Maybe it's on youtube.

Polar Bear
08-15-2015, 05:39 AM
See if Intel WiDi might work for you. I use it to wireless project what my PC is displaying onto my living room TV from an adjacent room. However sound is not included. No problem for me because I can use wireless headphones or I can turn the PC speakers up a bit and hear it with no problem.

Allegiance
08-15-2015, 06:21 AM
If your laptop is windows 8.1 use these instructions on link. Mirror your smartphone or tablet to the TV with a Roku - CNET (http://www.cnet.com/how-to/roku-screen-sharing-android-windows/)

Avista
08-15-2015, 07:27 AM
We have Apple TV and mirror iPad or iPhone to TV. We mirror our pictures and videos as well

tomwed
08-15-2015, 08:30 AM
If your laptop is windows 8.1 use these instructions on link. Mirror your smartphone or tablet to the TV with a Roku - CNET (http://www.cnet.com/how-to/roku-screen-sharing-android-windows/)
Thank-you
Are you projecting from your laptop to your Roku?
I followed the instructions and I'm stuck.

tomwed
08-15-2015, 08:39 AM
See if Intel WiDi might work for you. I use it to wireless project what my PC is displaying onto my living room TV from an adjacent room. However sound is not included. No problem for me because I can use wireless headphones or I can turn the PC speakers up a bit and hear it with no problem.
Thank-you
I have an HP with AMD inside and win 8.1. How can I find out if Intel WiDi might work for me? I poked around and did a little research but if you would send me a link to a driver that would be easier.

I also don't need sound because I can use headphones with the remote for the books or read a recipe.

Polar Bear
08-15-2015, 10:13 AM
Thank-you

I have an HP with AMD inside and win 8.1. How can I find out if Intel WiDi might work for me? I poked around and did a little research but if you would send me a link to a driver that would be easier.

I also don't need sound because I can use headphones with the remote for the books or read a recipe.

I would think it would work with AMD processor, but I'm not sure. I was using it with Win 8.1 before I upgraded to Win 10.

Here's the adaptor I have attached to my TV...
PTV3000 | Wireless Display Adapters | Connected Entertainment | Home | NETGEAR (http://www.netgear.com/home/products/connected-entertainment/wireless-display-adapters/PTV3000.aspx)

And here's a link to a software download...
Support Knowledge Base (http://supportkb.intel.com/wireless/wireless-display/templates/selfservice/intelwidi/#portal/1026/article/16168)

tomwed
08-15-2015, 10:37 AM
I would think it would work with AMD processor, but I'm not sure. I was using it with Win 8.1 before I upgraded to Win 10.

Here's the adaptor I have attached to my TV...
PTV3000 | Wireless Display Adapters | Connected Entertainment | Home | NETGEAR (http://www.netgear.com/home/products/connected-entertainment/wireless-display-adapters/PTV3000.aspx)

And here's a link to a software download...
Support Knowledge Base (http://supportkb.intel.com/wireless/wireless-display/templates/selfservice/intelwidi/#portal/1026/article/16168)
I misunderstood I thought the WiDi was only software. I have a Roku 3 and was hoping that I could project from my Win 8.1 laptop to the Roku without buying another device. Thank-you

Polar Bear
08-15-2015, 10:45 AM
I misunderstood I thought the WiDi was only software. I have a Roku 3 and was hoping that I could project from my Win 8.1 laptop to the Roku without buying another device. Thank-you

Sorry 'bout that. :)

TNLAKEPANDA
08-15-2015, 01:42 PM
That's a good feature but not what I am looking for.

I want the content on my laptop, for example an audiobook or recipe linked to my Roku so I can listen or watch it on my TV. That's possible and takes more expertise than I have right now.

Maybe it's on youtube.

You need Chromcast for that. About $30 at Best Buy or order online. It will let you stream from your computer to your TV. You may need to use the Chrome Web Browser though which you can just download. I have not used Internet Explorer in many years. Chrome is just better. :D

tomwed
08-15-2015, 02:50 PM
You need Chromcast for that. About $30 at Best Buy or order online. It will let you stream from your computer to your TV. You may need to use the Chrome Web Browser though which you can just download. I have not used Internet Explorer in many years. Chrome is just better. :D
Thank-you [i'm also a chrome fan]
The roku 3 is beta testing screen mirroring.
I just finished chatting with roku tech support. My laptop is incompatible but my nexus 7 is supposed to work according to their site. I followed Tom the AV guys advice.
I can directly connect my laptop to either screen using a usb cable and I think I'll do that before buying another device for now.
I was hoping a Roku 3 owner was successful.

Living a Fantasy
08-15-2015, 05:47 PM
I have three ROKU's which I love; but when I want to project from my laptop (Windows 7 or XP) I simply connect the laptop to an empty HDMI port. Of course, the laptop function key feature has to be toggled to display on the TV; or the laptop; or on both the TV and laptop. The HDMI can be purchased for about $15.00.

The above method is preferred because the laptop keyboard is the ONLY one required for maneuvering the display. You don't need the TV remote or the ROKU remote.

tomwed
08-15-2015, 07:59 PM
I have three ROKU's which I love; but when I want to project from my laptop (Windows 7 or XP) I simply connect the laptop to an empty HDMI port. Of course, the laptop function key feature has to be toggled to display on the TV; or the laptop; or on both the TV and laptop. The HDMI can be purchased for about $15.00.

The above method is preferred because the laptop keyboard is the ONLY one required for maneuvering the display. You don't need the TV remote or the ROKU remote.
Thank-you
That's what I do now too.
But with a Roku and the right hardware [computer, smartphone or pad] you can send the signal wirelessly.

jj6426
08-23-2015, 12:44 PM
I was just reading this thread re: Roku---and I see there are lots of possible combinations that you could use with it. But I have a simpler question--can someone tell me something about Roku? I understand it would take the place of television service from Comcast, for example. Is that right? I could actually eliminate that charge from my bill? If so, could you tell me the advantages and disadvantages of the TV programming. Is it true you can access only a few channels? Thank you for any info!

Bonnevie
08-23-2015, 02:49 PM
I have Roku. I use it to access Netflix and Amazon Prime. You can not routinely get the major networks using it, but I was able to do that thru a channel called usnow tv. It depends on what is important to you. there are a lot of channels but some require paid subscriptions. I tried going with just Roku but found it easier to just go back to cable for now. I have comcast and last night I was watching something on Netflix and the video stopped a number of times and it wasn't in high def. Although I have a smart TV, I find it easier to use Roku.

tomwed
08-23-2015, 04:11 PM
I was just reading this thread re: Roku---and I see there are lots of possible combinations that you could use with it. But I have a simpler question--can someone tell me something about Roku? I understand it would take the place of television service from Comcast, for example. Is that right? I could actually eliminate that charge from my bill? If so, could you tell me the advantages and disadvantages of the TV programming. Is it true you can access only a few channels? Thank you for any info!

start here https://www.roku.com/how-it-works

Phantom
09-07-2015, 04:01 PM
Get the Chromecast. It's cheap and you can cast wirelessly to your TV from your tablet or PC. My 4 year old Grandaugher uses it from her tablet without assistance -- that's how easy it is.