PDA

View Full Version : Moving to TV in September - Need Advice on Golf Carts

Bermuda
08-20-2008, 03:38 PM
My wife and I are moving to TV in September and have been looking for a golf cart. I think we have decided on electric (sorry, gas fans), and are leaning to the Club Car. My question is: Should we buy the Re-manufactured or New, and Why? What is the price difference between the Re-manufactured and the New. Also, any recommendations about accessories would be appreciated. It will be used for golf as well as TV transportation.

Thanks ahead of time.

Peachie
08-20-2008, 03:59 PM
Bermuda, no apology necessary for your choice of golf cart... enjoy the ride :2cool:

graciegirl
08-20-2008, 05:37 PM
Welcome :welcome: :welcome:

Just ride it over to Havana Trail and stop in for a beer!

rshoffer
08-21-2008, 01:16 AM
My wife and I are moving to TV in September and have been looking for a golf cart. I think we have decided on electric (sorry, gas fans), and are leaning to the Club Car. My question is: Should we buy the Re-manufactured or New, and Why? What is the price difference between the Re-manufactured and the New. Also, any recommendations about accessories would be appreciated. It will be used for golf as well as TV transportation.

Thanks ahead of time.
Go to the golf cart connection's web site (there ad is on this site) and study what the term remanufactured means. There are some rip-off dealers in the area (we were victims). I'd be happy to privately tell you our story. When you get here rent a cart for a while and take your time. If I had to do it again I'd buy a NEW cart.

livsea2
08-21-2008, 10:53 AM
Go to the golf cart connection's web site (there ad is on this site) and study what the term remanufactured means. There are some rip-off dealers in the area (we were victims). I'd be happy to privately tell you our story. When you get here rent a cart for a while and take your time. If I had to do it again I'd buy a NEW cart.

Please don't leave us wondering. What's your story. Warn us if there's some hidden problem with re-manufactured carts. :dontknow:

rshoffer
08-21-2008, 11:01 AM
Please don't leave us wondering. What's your story. Warn us if there's some hidden problem with re-manufactured carts. :dontknow:
My story was on a thread a week or so back... the managers of the website wisely purged it because MY story led to OTHER "stories" from other people who had the same experience and (I guess) there were some legal concerns about what was being said. in my case it was NOT the cart.... it was a dishonest dealer who was apparently dishonest with other customers too (based on what was said in response to my original post).

Rent a cart for a while... do your due diligence and let the buyer beware. What is less expensive or "the best deal' may cause future problems for you.

blueeagle65
08-21-2008, 02:26 PM
We purchased from Golf Cart Connection (see banner at right) and are very pleased with them. Their carts are remanufactured, but essentially new since the only used component is the Club Car frame - everything else is new. Very responsive in the event you require service, too. You also get a three year top to bottom warranty from them.

gonzy
08-22-2008, 09:48 PM
One thing you may want to consider is getting a cart with doors vs curtains. My wife persuaded me to get the club car with curtis cab (has doors and a heater) and I'm glad she did. Every time it rains or when the weather is cool I appreciate the doors. Since the golf cart is our primary transportation the extra expense made sense. If you only plan on using it occasionally the extra expense is probably not worth it. We bought new from the local club car dealer and to date have had good service from them.

beady
08-23-2008, 11:28 PM
I know some of the new gas carts are pretty quiet but I still love our electric cart..so nice to ride quietly along and enjoy the scenery. The newer electric carts do have a longer range than past years. Most importantly, it is an environmentally good choice :bigthumbsup:

livsea2
08-24-2008, 12:41 PM
I know some of the new gas carts are pretty quiet but I still love our electric cart..so nice to ride quietly along and enjoy the scenery. The newer electric carts do have a longer range than past years. Most importantly, it is an environmentally good choice :bigthumbsup:

I don't understand why some people are under the gross misconception that electric is somehow "green". Do you think electricity is shipped in from China in barrels? Or maybe electricity grows on trees somewhere?
Twenty miles from my home is the largest polluter in the state. It is also the home of the largest cancer cluster in our state. It is estimated to kill over a million fish a year in the Indian River bay. It is the NRG oil fired electric generation plant. If that's green, I'll take black thank you. ???

beady
08-24-2008, 01:33 PM
Well, okay ,maybe not green, Bad choice of words.

The electric carts are quiet, and are odor free. They don't pollute :bigthumbsup:

The gas carts are noisy and smelly. They do pollute. >:(

IMHO: the electric carts are far better for our environment than the gas carts. We are so lucky to live in a community that is accessible by cart. I for one prefer to use the electric cart, that, in my mind helps in some small way to keep the air clean in TV.

Peachie
08-24-2008, 02:05 PM
It's a beautiful day in The Villages......

Peachie
08-24-2008, 02:47 PM
And any cart will make you happy!!

beachgirl
09-06-2008, 01:11 AM
Hi,

I am a Village snowbird wannabe and this is my first time ever on Talk of the Villages. I live in Myrtle Beach, SC in an oceanside golf cart community.

Most of the golf carts are made in the Augusta, Georgia area-Club Car, EZGo, and Yamaha. Our neighbor called Club Car last fall looking for a way to save money in buying a golf cart. The Club Car people referred him to a company in the area that reconditions Club Car carts of all types. He arranged to buy a cart for about $2000 less than a new cart. My husband went with him to Augusta to pick it up. When I first saw it, I thought it was a brand new cart. It was absolutely spotless and runs well. If you're able to haul a cart, this is something you might want to check out.

sunflower3630
09-06-2008, 01:51 AM
Welcome, Beachgirl!! :welcome: :welcome: :welcome: :welcome:

blueeagle65
09-06-2008, 02:12 AM
Beachgirl - did that cart have lights, horn, turn signals, mirrors, Sunbrella, etc? or was it a plain Jane golf course variety? If you can give us a price we can let you know how good a deal it was based on the prices in this area.

beachgirl
09-08-2008, 01:00 PM
Our friend did not have the turn signal package-that would be he said about an extra $200 dollars. He also did not have the cover, but he had everything else on it.

efrahingarcia
09-30-2008, 10:09 AM
One thing you may want to consider is getting a cart with doors vs curtains. My wife persuaded me to get the club car with curtis cab (has doors and a heater) and I'm glad she did. Every time it rains or when the weather is cool I appreciate the doors. Since the golf cart is our primary transportation the extra expense made sense. If you only plan on using it occasionally the extra expense is probably not worth it. We bought new from the local club car dealer and to date have had good service from them.

Gonzy: I saw and ad from a Golf Cart with doors, but I have unable to find the name or a Dealer in TV or nearby. I like the idea of the doors, could you please let me know the details. Thank you
egarcia@gmail.com

efrahingarcia

efrahingarcia
09-30-2008, 10:10 AM
sorry it should say: "but I have been unable to find

collie1228
09-30-2008, 03:59 PM
When we were in TV for our lifestyle preview in July, I was impressed to see several golf cars with hard sides and sliding doors, but I never found anyone who knew anything about them. I recently did some net research, and found they are made by Curtis Cabs (well-known company, generally known for tractor cabs). If you are in TV in July, you'll know what I mean when I say it rains a bit that time of the year. While I was OK with the soft sides of the cart we had during our week's stay, it would have been much more comfortable to have a water tight enclosure during some of the downpours. Not much info on pricing in the net, but I did find one retailer advertising the product for $1,800, which would be the uninstalled price. They say installation is about a one-hour process, but that's probably unatainable, unless the technician (or you) have installed them before. After we buy our place in TV (should have been in 2012 - now looking like 2015+ - thanks Wall Street), our first purchase will be a Club Car electric with the Curtis hard sided enclosure. Maybe the electric golf car isn't as green as many people think, but you can't argue with the fact that an electric is quieter, doesn't have any exhaust and requires a lot less maintenance than a gas cart.

golfnut
09-30-2008, 07:34 PM
We have a cover that is vinyl but has doors and we love it (not the same cart as in my avatar), at $500 it's considerably cheaper than the Curtis hard side. We bought it from Buggiesunlimited (web site is same name) hopefully this address works http://www.buggiesunlimited.com/product.asp?sku=ENC%20CC2%20HNG&cat=116202305......GN

collie1228
09-30-2008, 10:38 PM
Thanks golfnut - the web address worked fine, and the product looks like a nice compromise between the expensive hard sided enclosure and the normal vinyl cover. The think I dislike the most about the normal vinyl cover is trying to roll the #@*% thing up when the rain stops. I can't get it to go up straight for the life of me!

dadspet
10-01-2008, 08:00 PM
Re manufactured golf carts can come is several different flavors. Re manufactured by a local/non-local dealer (Golf cart Connection for example ) with a variety of parts or re manufactured by the manufacture (Club car for example). A few differences are: the re manufactured carts by local dealers carry warranties from that dealer not the original manufacture of the cart; the ones re manufactured by the manufacture have original new parts and carry a warranty from that manufacture (Club car for example). Most (but perhaps not all) carts re manufactured by local dealers will exceed the legal speed limit since they tend to have larger motors then the original carts. The re manufactured carts from the manufacture will only go the legal speed limit since they have the original equipment motor in them. Another major difference is when the manufacture re manufactures their carts they can give them a new serial number with the year it was re manufactured in. A cart re manufactured from the local dealer will all have the original serial number with the year the original frame was built (2004 or 2005 for example).

I believe I saved well over $1000 on a re manufactured by Club car, cart compared to a new one. I got a club car warranty and new 2008 serial number. My feeling was the original manufacture would do a better job re manufacturing their cart using their original parts then the local shops using various parts. I also had no desire to go faster then the legal limit in that little open cart ( I felt to exposed )- so that played a major role in my decisions. I'm sure other feel the opposite about original parts and speed.

One more thing to consider if you get electric is Watts = Volts x amps and the more Hp in a electric motor the more watts and there for the more amps you will use (considering most carts are using 48V now). So when you use more amp that will mean you will probably be running down your battery faster and may not get the distance that a smaller Hp motor would get (perhaps an over simplification since there are more variables then motor Hp that will contribute to distance but its a major consideration).

Oh well that enough of my 2 cents!

magpiemare
10-04-2008, 01:57 PM
Could you email me at marycrivelli@hotmail.com who the rip off dealers are?

rekop
10-07-2008, 03:50 PM
For what its worth, we have a 2002 electric golf cart for sale, listed in the "for sale" forum. It runs great, and is cheaper than anything you'll buy from a dealer.

Corvettewayne
10-07-2008, 04:40 PM
Hi
I am a retired GM Electrician and I will tell you that the New EZ GO is buy far the best electric cart to come out in years. It is a 48v system but what is so great is that they use a control setup to change the battery DC to AC, They have a AC moter in there carts, What this means to you is that the cart will not slow on any hill or when the charge is getting weaker. It has a 50 to 60 mile range. This is only on the new 2009 cart. I have bought one and have to wait 6 to 8 weeks to be built because they are selling so many.

The worst one to buy is the Par Car. They have a huge break down record. All the other carts are about the same but for diff. prices.

I hope this helps you

rekop
10-18-2008, 02:04 PM
Actually, the range is in question on the new EZ go's. They say you'll get 40-45 when you first get it and it will gradually increase to 50. And they hope for 60. We just got one -- love it going up the hills.

alwann
10-18-2008, 02:40 PM
I agree that neither is completely "green," but as someone who will be renting a golf cart this winter, which is better? Is it really just a matter of personal preference? I called one cart rental agent who said he doesn't rent electric carts any more -- because people have too much trouble with them. What's that all about? Is pumping gas easier than plugging in the power cord?

jeffy
10-18-2008, 03:53 PM
Hi
I am a retired GM Electrician and I will tell you that the New EZ GO is buy far the best electric cart to come out in years. It is a 48v system but what is so great is that they use a control setup to change the battery DC to AC, They have a AC moter in there carts, What this means to you is that the cart will not slow on any hill or when the charge is getting weaker. It has a 50 to 60 mile range. This is only on the new 2009 cart. I have bought one and have to wait 6 to 8 weeks to be built because they are selling so many.

The worst one to buy is the Par Car. They have a huge break down record. All the other carts are about the same but for diff. prices.

I hope this helps you

Not sure where you got the info on the Par Car. I have a 2005 and have not had a single mechanical issue with it. The 8 batteries are a little close to the sides and this has placed a small paint bubble on the one side of the cart. There were a few issues with the 2006s that have been taken care of. My neighbor has a one year old Par Car and has had no issues either. I would not hesitate to buy another Par Car.

jeffy

Talk Host
10-19-2008, 06:58 AM
Hi

I hope this helps you

I have had a Columbia Par Car for the past four years. You are right, they have a horrible break down record. I have already had to change one head light bulb and a tail light bulb. :1rotfl:

SteveFromNY
10-21-2008, 10:13 AM
I agree that neither is completely "green," but as someone who will be renting a golf cart this winter, which is better? Is it really just a matter of personal preference? I called one cart rental agent who said he doesn't rent electric carts any more -- because people have too much trouble with them. What's that all about? Is pumping gas easier than plugging in the power cord?
The short answer is yes, but for folks who rent them, not own them.
For someone who owns the cart, I doubt there is an issue. But for renters, I can easily see them forgetting to charge the cart and the owner being inconvenienced by having to fetch them from the side of the road. Gas could be filled up before you rent and you can travel quite a bit further than electric on a tank of gas. A weekly rental could easily cover 100 or more miles, meaning a tank of gas would suffice for a gas cart, but the batteries on an electric cart would definitely need a charge during that period.
If it were a monthly rental, then the batteries would require some minor maintenance - checking the water levels. Again, if it were your cart, this little maintenance item is trivial. But if you were renting your cart out, it's easy to imagine the renter won't do the required maintenance. So your electric cart (batteries) could get damaged.
I am not making a case for electric or gas when you buy a cart, but pointing out why I think the folks who rent carts often rent gas carts.

GMONEY
10-21-2008, 10:30 AM
good place to by golf carts, used and rebuilt all the way, get them custom built and painted..

http://www.customcartshop.com/index.html

golferling
10-21-2008, 11:24 PM
The Villages is way too big for an electric cart, especially if you golf.
You CANNOT golf 18 holes after riding to most golf courses, then ride home, and then ride to one of the town squares. Your battery will be low..in cold weather in the winter, it will be very very low. We got a cart from a business on 441 whose first name starts with the word, "DISCOUNT"....NEVER go there..it is a major ripoff, and they will not even do proper warranty work.
Electric carts are only good for 3 years, and the third year means over 600 bucks for a new set of batteries. We got rid of the electric. Bought a Yamaha gas from the VIllages Golf Carts. Salespeope very informed, service exceptional. I golf 3 times a week, go all over in my cart, never have to worry about pushing it up the driveway...get gas about every 10 days. Our weather is nice enough here I wouldnot pay extra for doors..they only get in the way...this is Fla...enjoy the fresh air..in the summer, those golf carts with doors are nothing but hot boxes. A nice Yamaha gas with a good sunbrella enclosure will keep you smiling....70 percent of all Villagers own gas carts, and the majority own Yamahas...they are GREAT!