PDA

View Full Version : keyboard not working--why and how can i fix it

mixsonci
08-24-2015, 10:48 AM
i just downloaded the new windows 10 mostly because i hated windows 8 and it was free. however, now my keyboard doesn't work. everything else seems to be working fine except the keyboard. i am typing this using the onscreen keyboard. i tried unplugging the keyboard and plugging it back in but it didn't work, any ideas? btw, this is a stand alone touchscreen desk top computer not a laptop or tablet

tomwed
08-24-2015, 10:59 AM
I just found this.

"I had the same problem with a Dell 11 1347. There was no keyboard after updating to windows 10 and the device manager registered no issues with the driver. The problem was fixed by updating the chipset driver."

Do you know how to update drivers?

Installing drivers through Windows Update
Windows Update is the premier starting point to resolve most common driver issues you might experience immediately after installing Windows 10.
Simply launch it from Start > Settings > Update and Recovery and click Check for Updates

let me know if this doesn't help

rexxfan
08-24-2015, 12:38 PM
With a few recalcitrant devices I've had some success deleting the device from the device manager and rebooting so that Windows will re-detect it and go off to get the drivers again.
--
bc

mixsonci
08-24-2015, 05:55 PM
tomwed, i went through all the updates as you described, but it did not work.

not sure how to do what rexxfan is describing. where do i go to uninstall and how do i reinstall?

GatorFan
08-24-2015, 08:27 PM
Keyboard is not working in Windows 10 (http://windowsinstructed.com/keyboard-is-not-working-in-windows-10/)

tomwed
08-24-2015, 08:35 PM

not sure how to do what rexxfan is describing. where do i go to uninstall and how do i reinstall?

Have you googled the make and model of your computer including the keywords windows 10 and troubleshooting?

At some point microsoft has to roll out an operating system. They can't test every make and model so some don't work and the community responds with solutions. You want someone smarter than you and me that had the same problem and fixed it.

What rexxfan is describing is deleting the driver of something in your computer so that when the computer restarts the operating system will see that it is missing and go online to find it and install it. I have done that years ago, and it worked but if it didn't work I had options.

Can you go back to windows 8.1 and wait another 3 months until these bugs are worked out?

Uberschaf
08-24-2015, 08:48 PM
Your PC might be in tablet mode.Just go to bottom left and type in tablet mode,turn off if on.

champion6
08-25-2015, 10:13 AM
With a few recalcitrant devices I've had some success deleting the device from the device manager and rebooting so that Windows will re-detect it and go off to get the drivers again.I agree with rexxfan. I had to do this with a DVD drive that didn't work properly after the Win10 upgrade ... easy, peasy.

rexxfan
08-25-2015, 12:28 PM

To delete a problematic device, first click the Start button. Type "Device Manager". The device manager control panel app should pop up in the search results. Click on the device manager control panel app icon to open it. In general if there are any devices that are having problems, they'll have yellow exclamation points or red X's next to them. Right click the device name and choose Uninstall from the popup. You'll be prompted regarding whether you really want to delete it. Sometimes there will be a check box in the prompt saying "Delete Driver Software". For devices that you suspect you're having a driver issue with, checking that box will force Windows to retrieve what it believes the best driver is for the device the next time you boot. Once the device is removed, reboot the machine right away. When Windows comes back up it will detect that there's a device in the system that it doesn't have a driver for and will automatically re-install it with what it believes to be the best driver. Hopefully that will be the end of it.

If you're the least bit uncomfortable doing any of this yourself, go find an expert. I'm not at TV now, but when I am I'm happy to do this sort of thing for folks within walking distance of where I live, as time permits.
--
bc

KayakerNC
08-25-2015, 12:43 PM
http://rlv.zcache.com/bigger_hammer_bear_mousepad-racccf057cf4147ae9d8515b8fc19480a_x74vi_8byvr_324. jpg

mixsonci
08-26-2015, 01:42 AM
thank you all for your help, but nothing has worked yet, my system keeps telling me that my device (the keyboard) is up to date and working fine. however, it's still won't work and i have tried everything that has been suggested. Funny thing though, i can actually use the keyboard at the log-in screen to put in my password, but absolutely nothing after that. i now have two options... take Kayaker's advice (which is very tempting right now) or call in a professional.' any suggestions on who will come to the house as it is a desk top and i don't want to have to carry it to deliver it?

tomwed
08-26-2015, 04:34 AM
Take a look at this
windows 10 stuck at login screen does not recognize mouse or keyboard - Windows 10 Forums (http://www.tenforums.com/installation-setup/12355-windows-10-stuck-login-screen-does-not-recognize-mouse-keyboard.html)

Do yo have another keyboard or borrow a friends? They are suggesting

to use a PS/2 keyboard/mouse or a USB-to-PS/2 adapter to pass the installation phase. Afterwards, your hardware will work again. That's a round connector.

You could buy one and return it if it doesn't work. If you can get it to work are you going back to windows 7?

Uberschaf
08-26-2015, 06:30 AM
Ease of Access-keyboard settings-turn off on screen keyboard-turn off filter keys.

KayakerNC
08-26-2015, 07:55 AM
thank you all for your help, but nothing has worked yet, my system keeps telling me that my device (the keyboard) is up to date and working fine. however, it's still won't work and i have tried everything that has been suggested. Funny thing though, i can actually use the keyboard at the log-in screen to put in my password, but absolutely nothing after that. i now have two options... take Kayaker's advice (which is very tempting right now) or call in a professional.' any suggestions on who will come to the house as it is a desk top and i don't want to have to carry it to deliver it?

Said in jest only. :1rotfl: Please don't beat your computer.
I'd stop by BestBuy and buy a new keyboard, USB or wireless maybe, and give that a try. Shouldn't cost more than $10 to $20.
Keyboards don't last forever.

Polar Bear
08-26-2015, 08:40 AM
...I'd stop by BestBuy and buy a new keyboard, USB or wireless...

That was going to be my suggestion.

tomwed
08-26-2015, 09:00 AM
This came up in a Windows 10 Forum recently. These people say to use a PS2 keyboard or PS@ to USB converter not USB or wireless. In another post I think I read that after the keyboard starts working you can swap it out.

AveYo

Windows 10 (duh)

This issue affects mainly cheap motherboards and/or peripherals with improper support for legacy usb (bios-provided drivers for usb mouse and keyboard)

The best bet is to use a PS/2 keyboard/mouse or a USB-to-PS/2 adapter to pass the installation phase. Afterwards, your hardware will work again.

Otherwise, there is not much to do. You might even lock yourself out of bios and boot menu if you toggle legacy usb off/on
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply With Quote Reply With Quote
2 Weeks Ago #9
KACI

Central Florida
Windows 10

AveYo's recommendation is right. I always keep an old ps2 keyboard around. Even for my system, which is pretty up to date, the bios doesn't recognize a usb keyboard. As was mentioned you can get an adapter that should work as well. Good way to free up a usb port as well.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply With Quote Reply With Quote
2 Weeks Ago #10

rexxfan
08-26-2015, 09:03 AM
Definitely a good troubleshooting step, although it seems somewhat unlikely that the keyboard hardware would break at the same time Windows 10 was installed. Of course it could happen, but some kind of incompatability with Win10 is a more plausible explanation.
--
bc

mixsonci
08-26-2015, 10:33 AM
whoa, appreciate the help, but these suggestions are waaaaay over my head, don't know what a ps/2 is or motherboard. thought i knew how to buy a new keyboard until you started talking about ps/2 etc. however, i know keyboards don't last forever, but this one is only about 6 months old as is the entire computer and it was working fine until the download of windows 10. think i'm out of my element here and will have to call in a professional.

Polar Bear
08-26-2015, 12:15 PM
whoa, appreciate the help, but these suggestions are waaaaay over my head, don't know what a ps/2 is or motherboard. thought i knew how to buy a new keyboard until you started talking about ps/2 etc. however, i know keyboards don't last forever, but this one is only about 6 months old as is the entire computer and it was working fine until the download of windows 10. think i'm out of my element here and will have to call in a professional.
Like a previous poster said, it's more than likely some sort of incompatibility between your keyboard and Win 10. I would still suggest trying a new wireless or USB keyboard...a standard PC keyboard, not a PS2 or anything like that...and see if it works. It's a very simply installation...just basically plug it in and go. It if does work, cheaper than calling somebody in. If it doesn't work, Best Buy or any reputable tech store will take the keyboard back with a full refund.

tomwed
08-26-2015, 12:36 PM
You know what a keyboard is.
On the end of the cord is a connector. Each type of connector has a different name. You have a USB connector on the end of your cord and its not working. Someone else said the likelihood that the exact same time you installed windows 10 the usb keyboard broke is too coincidental.

The people on the windows 10 forum fixed their problem with a keyboard that has a male ps/2 connector on the end. It's square and purple and goes in the female connector on your computer that is square and purple. The ps/2 mouse is round and green. click here (https://www.google.com/search?sourceid=chrome-psyapi2&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8&q=what%20does%20a%20ps2%20connector%20look%20like&oq=what%20does%20a%20ps2%20connector%20look%20like&aqs=chrome..69i57j0.8469j0j7)

Why it fixed their system is complicated, over your head and doesn't matter. The motherboard is inside your case and you won't need to open that up.

This is why I like to recommend Chrome. There's no learning curve.

rexxfan
08-26-2015, 01:35 PM
For what its worth, most computers built in the last year or two don't have PS/2 ports anymore, so it could well be moot.
--
bc

mixsonci
08-26-2015, 08:50 PM
Yes, I will buy a new keyboard and try that. As you said it's cheaper than hiring someone if there's a chance it will work. I'll let you know what happens. Thank you all for your help and advice...stay tuned