PDA

View Full Version : Guys?

redwitch
08-23-2008, 11:05 AM
There's a nice list of volunteers for errands, etc. by the gals. So, what can you guys bring to the plate? Willing to help fix a toilet or do a minor repair for a sick one? A little manual labor? Come on, fellas, we know you want to help.

samhass
08-23-2008, 02:28 PM
This may be going beyond the scope of what I had in mind. Invalids can pay someone to do those services. It may be harder to find someone to do the type of service initially sought.
A home cooked meal or a visit, a trip to the doctor, something to nourish the soul..these are the things I was suggesting. You don't want this thing to snowball out of hand so that no one will want to do anything. True need should come into play here. For the other stuff, I think they should call a handyman. IMHO only.

Just Susan
08-23-2008, 03:42 PM
I agree. Nothing stops a volunteer faster than feeling used and abused.

redwitch
08-23-2008, 04:01 PM
I just figured the guys would be more comfortable offering these type of services than the nourishing type. Heck, I can remember when my back was out and my biggest problem was the flourescent light in my kitchen had gone out. There was no way I could fix it and it certainly isn't the type of thing I would want to call a handyman for. Not talking about the big jobs, but the truly little ones.

renielarson
08-23-2008, 04:07 PM
However, if we were there, I know my hubs would volunteer. He loves to cook and is pretty darn good at it. He's also a great conversationalist and would enjoy keeping someone company for a while (sitting, watching and discussing a game on tv, for example), playing chess or other games, or running simple errands.

I'm sure there are other men here like my hubs.

samhass
08-23-2008, 04:16 PM
Red, I think that's what handymen are for..the little things. For a larger job I would call a plumber, electrician, etc. Handymen need to make a living, too.

handieman
12-04-2008, 07:34 AM
Red, I think that's what handymen are for..the little things. For a larger job I would call a plumber, electrician, etc. Handymen need to make a living, too.

Winks;)
Handie:jester:

Barefoot
12-04-2008, 09:33 AM
This may be going beyond the scope of what I had in mind. Invalids can pay someone to do those services. It may be harder to find someone to do the type of service initially sought.
A home cooked meal or a visit, a trip to the doctor, something to nourish the soul..these are the things I was suggesting.

I agree Sam. My idea of volunteering is exactly that .. something to nourish the soul! Offering to visit someone for a chat and really listen to them, get them groceries, drive them to an appointment or perhaps read to them. Services that a handyman wouldn't normally perform.

It is the volunteering with love that is priceless.

nONIE
12-04-2008, 10:01 AM
I agree Sam. My idea of volunteering is exactly that .. something to nourish the soul! Offering to visit someone for a chat and really listen to them, get them groceries, drive them to an appointment or perhaps read to them. Services that a handyman wouldn't normally perform.

It is the volunteering with love that is priceless.

I so agree with this Bare, Giving without expecting any return is a great gift!

graciegirl
12-06-2008, 07:15 AM
I so agree with this Bare, Giving without expecting any return is a great gift!

Every time you open your mouth Nonie, I listen. You are the sweetest woman and what a gift to all of us!!!

nONIE
12-06-2008, 11:49 AM
Gracie, you are too kind,really, you should see me when Im mad!:cus:

but I must tell you, the feelings are mutual!

samhass
12-06-2008, 05:27 PM
Amen, Gracie.

Barefoot
12-07-2008, 12:27 AM
Every time you open your mouth Nonie, I listen. You are the sweetest woman and what a gift to all of us!!!

GG, Nonie not only talks the talk, she also follows through in the way she lives her life.