PDA

View Full Version : "For Rent" Scam?

Hmikes
08-25-2008, 01:56 PM
Hello,

Like many others, I am looking for a rental in TV for early 2009. Because of the high demand for rentals at that time of year, I am concerned someone could post a fake rental property on one of the sites, collect my deposit and disappear. Just recently, I found a rental, but when I emailed the owner I became suspicious. Several things combined raised red flag warnings. It was a new listing which by itself is not a problem. When I inquired about the property I was directed to a different listing but that link failed. The owner then directed me back to the original listing but insisted I pay the deposit that day via paypal using her paypal account. When I checked her paypal account I found out it was a new account that had just been opened.

Has anyone any suggestions? Are there ways to check to insure the listings are valid? Is this even a problem, are crooks posting fake rentals?

Thanks

samhass
08-25-2008, 02:56 PM
Check thevillages4rent.com advertised on the sidebar here. I don't think you will have a problem with any of those listings.

redwitch
08-25-2008, 03:04 PM
Maybe have a friend or even a TOTVer who lives close by (or is going in that direction) go by the property and at least see if it exists and if the name on the pole sign matches the name of the person renting the property? I haven't heard of anyone being scammed on a rental, but anything is possible, especially today.

I think the odds are more likely that she is new to renting and trying to protect herself by asking for an immediate deposit so that she knows the property is in fact rented for that period.

Peachie
08-25-2008, 03:11 PM
Good suggestion, Redwitch, and also you can check the property address for the owners name or vice versa on the Sumter County site if the rental is located in Sumter County:

http://www.qpublic.net/sumter/

Peazoup
08-25-2008, 05:44 PM
Also, people who have homes to rent should be careful. I had my house for rent and although I did get a lot of honest, sincere inquiries, there was one that for sure was a hoax. Don't block out a rental time frame until you have names, addresses and their $$$$$s. 99.9% of people who advertise or who answer ads are legitimate. But as they say, one rotten apple.......

MelZ
08-26-2008, 08:39 PM
Good advise from everyone

A life lesson I learned "If the hair on the back of you neck stands up, trust your instinct."

Sonny Craven
10-12-2008, 10:19 PM
I have a home I just put up for rent. Some, but not many prospects are "shopping" and "cruising" for the right home, or bargain prices, or are undecided but looking anyway, then want the property to be held with a promise of a deposit and signed lease but after waiting a week or more, the owner finds that the prospect has had a "change of plans" or just plain declines to follow-through. Of course, I have to allow for the impact of recent finacial market conditions.

This left me with cancellations for December 2008, January and April 2009. As this is a premier home, I expect bookings for these months eventually, but I learned a lesson.

Owners have little choice but to use a first-come, first served basis and make no commitments up front, and book only when deposits/funds are received.