PDA

View Full Version : About The Villages' bus service to/from the airport

cybermuda
08-29-2008, 11:10 PM
Do not use the airport bus run by The Villages - it is a scam

The web site clearly states $40 per person each way yet my credit card has been charged $50 and they are baulking at refunding the difference

On the bus I took there were 16 people - if each had paid the lower rate the trip would have generated $640 - not bad for just over an hour's work. Is this any way to treat seniors who are on a budget?

Plus, the bus runs only every two hours (so you can be waiting a long time for it at the airport) and drops you off at either Sumter Landing or Spanish Springs - necessitating another $5+ in cab fare to get you where you actually want to go - your home!

So for two people, at $50 each plus tip, plus cab fare (plus tip) it cost us $120.

We returned to the airport using Jack's Limo Service (352-406-1851) for $85, door-to-door, at the time we wanted to go, with a very safe and courteous driver.

rshoffer
08-30-2008, 01:21 AM
Good info... especially Jack's...Thanks

chuckinca
08-30-2008, 04:48 AM
Renting a car from Enterprise with no drop off charge at TV from MCO is our fav

Muncle
08-30-2008, 05:31 AM
There are several options from which one can choose to get to and from the airport. They come in a variety of prices and provide a variety of services. The Villages bus is one of them. Car rental is another. And there are several advertised in the Daily Sun. You're free to choose whichever tickles your fancy. But buyer beware, as noted a few days ago: https://www.talkofthevillages.com/smf/index.php/topic,9175.msg86515.html#msg86515

By the by, per their web site, the cost for the shuttle varies depeding on the status of the rider.

Village Resident and Resident Guests
Staying within The Villages $40.00 per person, each way
Renters $40.00 per person, each way
Renter's Guests $50.00 per person, each way
Non-Residents $50.00 per person, each way

nitehawk
08-30-2008, 11:44 AM
-

The web site clearly states $40 per person each way yet my credit card has been charged $50 and they are baulking at refunding the difference

On the bus I took there were 16 people - if each had paid the lower rate the trip would have generated $640 - not bad for just over an hour's work. Is this any way to treat seniors who are on a budget?

Plus, the bus runs only every two hours (so you can be waiting a long time for it at the airport) and drops you off at either Sumter Landing or Spanish Springs - necessitating another $5+ in cab fare to get you where you actually want to go - your home!

So for two people, at $50 each plus tip, plus cab fare (plus tip) it cost us $120.

We returned to the airport using Jack's Limo Service (352-406-1851) for $85, door-to-door, at the time we wanted to go, with a very safe and courteous driver.

I took the shuttle two weeks ago and there were only three passangers - that is only $120

graciegirl
08-30-2008, 12:14 PM
I read another post by you Cyber that said you were looking to buy in The Villages.

Muncle tells us that non village residents are charged $50.

I looked to see your other posts because you had so few and sometimes when a "new" person comes on with such a negative post, I wonder if they have changed their name on here.

You paid five dollars more for the limosine service, is that correct?

Are you a village resident and were overcharged? Or are you not a village resident and charged the proper amount?

How is this a scam? Is it a scam because 16 people on the bus is profitable?

cybermuda
08-30-2008, 04:22 PM
One would expect that mass transportation would be the cheapest way to travel, so if a couple can get a door-to-door limo cheaper than the bus (and apparently a hire car for even less) then seniors are not getting a fair deal when using the bus.

I would suggest that The Villages web site should include information on the various ways to get in from the airport, with costs and contact numbers, otherwise people who haven't done that trip before would assume that the bus was the cheapest way to go.

Incidentally, if you get on the bus without having pre-paid then the driver will ask you for $40 each, regardless of whether you are a resident, a guest, the guest of a resident, the guest of a guest, or any of the other confusing options that dictate how much you are charged if you make a reservation.

Cassie325
08-30-2008, 05:24 PM
I agree with Muncle...there are so many options to get to and from the airports. Just like everything else here and the world....we have options. I am glad you found something a little less expensive for the second time around...perhaps it evened the trip out a little! Seems like you got a great savings! TV bus however is very handy to many people and they enjoy taking it....again...their choice. Thankfully for your next trip you have found an alternative.

Muncle
08-30-2008, 07:43 PM
I would suggest that The Villages web site should include information on the various ways to get in from the airport, with costs and contact numbers, otherwise people who haven't done that trip before would assume that the bus was the cheapest way to go.

I went out on the Avis, Alamo, and Hertz web sites and, hard as it may be to accept, none posted the prices or contact information of their competitors. Enterprise didn't even have it.

Who'd a thought???

Oh, and CVS doesn't post Walgreen prices either, unless they beat them.

cybermuda
08-30-2008, 08:18 PM
That is fine if you have been a resident for many years and know that The Villages web site is run on a commercial basis, like Avis and Alamo.

However, for first-timers, the expectation is that The Villages web site is a source of unbiased information.

Even the DisneyWorld web site lists contact numbers for a rival bus service, a limousine and town car service and Alamo and National car rentals.

I apologise if I have upset some people. I just assumed that this web site was the best place to voice opinions that are not always 100% pro management of The Villages.

graciegirl
08-30-2008, 08:36 PM
Allow me to start again. Welcome to you Cyber. I hope you love my treasured home and enjoy it as much as I do. NO one can believe how wonderful this place is and how friendly. We are so used to people speaking in positive terms about almost everything that I was rude to you for which I apologise.

Come on down and make Paradise your home.

P. S . Hadley is the best Village.

JohnN
08-30-2008, 08:43 PM
Well, it's not a good deal, I don't know that I'd call it a scam though.
I think of scams as no value for the money.

Plenty of businesses overcharge when they can.
Just gotta learn your way around and find the deals.

I wouldn't use TV limo service unless necessary, but I don't think of it as a scam either

`willy
08-30-2008, 10:05 PM
You would think FLORIDA's FRIENDLIST HOME TOWN would have a friendly bus service.
When you feel you have been taken advantage of. Justified or not , You still feel
betrayed.
What if We said FLORIDA'S HOMETOWN with the FRIENDLIST PEOPLE and the rest is
big business.
Sorry! Its really a great place to live, but it could be better.

It be a shame to lose a house sale for 10 bucks.

just my thoughts
Willy

cybermuda
08-31-2008, 12:01 AM
I raised the "expensive bus" issue because it negatively affected my opinion of The Villages.

However, let me reassure everyone that the vast majority of my experiences at The Villages were very positive:

1) everyone was friendly and helpful
2) the sports facilities were excellent
3) car drivers were courteous to golf cart drivers
4) the whole area was clean and well-maintained
5) the real estate sales people were not pushy
6) even tropical storm Fay did not dampen people's spirits

You have a lovely community, of which you should be proud.

graciegirl
08-31-2008, 01:01 AM
I raised the "expensive bus" issue because it negatively affected my opinion of The Villages.

However, let me reassure everyone that the vast majority of my experiences at The Villages were very positive:

1) everyone was friendly and helpful
2) the sports facilities were excellent
3) car drivers were courteous to golf cart drivers
4) the whole area was clean and well-maintained
5) the real estate sales people were not pushy
6) even tropical storm Fay did not dampen people's spirits

You have a lovely community, of which you should be proud.

You are just right for TV. Come on down!! :)

JohnN
08-31-2008, 01:31 AM
c'mon down , cyber, you'll love it here,

and this is just a bus service, wait til we tell you what happened to the buffalo !!!

now that'll wind you up and spit you out!

welcome

Cassie325
08-31-2008, 03:19 AM
Allow me to start again. Welcome to you Cyber. I hope you love my treasured home and enjoy it as much as I do. NO one can believe how wonderful this place is and how friendly. We are so used to people speaking in positive terms about almost everything that I was rude to you for which I apologise.

Come on down and make Paradise your home.

P. S . Hadley is the best Village.

You are right Ms. Gracie!! Ever so gracious! must be the name....

Come on down is right....start over....there is so much to love here!!!

Russ_Boston
08-31-2008, 02:38 PM
After reading this i assume Cyber is not a current resident and therefore was charged properly. So we can drop the scam word.

I hope this thread shows others the different methods to get to the airport. There were some new ones to me.

I think an 'Airport Exchange' club might work. You submit your name as being eligible to pick-up or drop-off at the airport and that earns you a chance to call someone on the list when you need a ride. Everyone would need to have at least a +1 in their account before they could call for a ride of their own. At $4 per gallon of gas and a 20mpg car the cost breaks down to about $28 per round trip (70 miles each way to MCO) just for gas not to mention wear and tear on the car.

Ok never mind - I think I'll just go the Enterprise route.

bogart
11-13-2008, 01:40 PM
Now that we've purchased a car that we will leave in The Villages, we have to find transportation to/from the Orlando airport, usually with our dog along. We've been using The Villages Shuttle with good results but it seems like it would be better if we could find reliable, safe door to door transportation. This would certainly be easier for us during our stressful day of traveling.

I have some recommendations from previous posters and have names from the newspaper but wonder if anyone has some new and wonderful experiences to relate?
We're not good drivers and don't want to rent a car for our journey.

Thanking you in advance,

Bo

Bogie Shooter
11-13-2008, 05:19 PM
The Villages Daily Sun has listed on their web site 11 different ways to get to the airport and other sites. Go to www.dailysun.com and click on the Hop to The Villages Link.
I will also add Florida Jitney & Limo Service. My son-in-law used them from the Villages to OIA around $35, and was satisfied with their service 352-259-2731. They pick up at Spruce Creek South & Walmart on CR466.

As far as using a cab when arriving from the airport on The Villages.....ever think of asking a neighbor?

I think calling The Villages service "a scam" was too strong and got this thread off to a bad start.

redwitch
11-13-2008, 05:46 PM
Cyber, I think most of us admire the concept that Mr. Schwartz and the Morses created and developed. We also gripe about many of TV's policies when it comes to the present-day greed factor. However, while I understand that newcomers might be under the illusion that The Villages' website is give out info, I believe that if you look at it carefully you'll see that it is strictly an ad for TV, nothing more. It is not out to make life easier for visitors but to make $$ for the developer and does the job quite well.

Other than this wonderful site, I've found one of the best ways to get info is to go the squares and ask questions. It's amazing how well-informed people are there and how willing they are to share the information they have.

I'm glad you found a better way to travel to the airport and appreciate you sharing your information with us.

smalldog
11-14-2008, 06:42 AM
Smalldog Sez
my wife used the shuttle to the airport and again on her return a week later ............. we went to the office about 3 weeks prior and prearrainged the trips like you are supposed to .. :coolsmiley: ....... every thing worked like clockwork.....:shrug: ....... the one fly in the ointment was a bit of a wait on her return ........... which was almost like a safty factor considering aiurport delays these days ...:evil6: ........... and surprise surprise we caught the trips on sale and it was less than the $40 .... :faint:

PS still no spell check

Best Mom
11-14-2008, 08:59 PM
I have found the car services are cheaper than the shuttle because my daughter and my husband come in one car. Just call each advertized in the Sun and get the best for your needs. I used two different ones but as I am still up North, I can't give you their names.
Other reasons the car is better. 1) No waiting... no lost time. 2)Golf clubs and tennis rackets are not charged extra. 3)Drivers come right to the house and carry in the luggage, plus right to the Airport curb and carry luggage again. So I recommend people try the individuals advertized in the Sun. We have been very happy.

Barefoot
11-14-2008, 09:36 PM
Fireboy has often used the Villages Shuttle to the Orlando airport, as I'm just not comfortable driving there. He commutes back and forth to Canada during the winter. Friends have also used the Shuttle. It is definitely not a "scam".

Recently Fireboy has started using the Florida Jitney (Thank you to Island Gal). It runs 24 hours a day, costs less than the Villages Shuttle, and picks up near our home. (For an extra $5 they will deliver him to our door).
We've only used it once, so far, so good.

If I had 2 or 3 guests coming, I think a Limo would be the way to go.

IMHO.

novelchick
01-09-2009, 12:26 PM
we found them to be rather high too considering we're villagers!! Gee can't they do us any favors in the villages. we usually book a private car (lots of villagers do the run) and we'd rather pay them and you don't have to wait

Barefoot
01-09-2009, 11:36 PM
More input on the Florida Jitney ... sadly.

Florida Jitney advertises a 24 hours service.

Fireboy was scheduled to arrive in Orlando and take the Florida Jitney Sunday night to TV leaving Orlando at 7:40 PM. The FJ called him in Canada and said they were cancelling the 7:40 PM run.

So he had to book the 9:40 Villages shuttle. Thank heavens it wasn't later in the evening when the shuttles had stopped running.

I don't think the Florida Jitney will survive unless they run a dependable service.

dillywho
01-10-2009, 10:55 AM
A couple of our friends and us have found the perfect solution. We drive each other down. For instance, my neighbors drive us down in our car, bring it home, park it our garage, come get the car when we're returning, drive down and get us. We have a great visit to boot on both legs of the trip. We do the same for them when they go. There are several couples of us that do this so someone is always available. We all have the SunPass and by using your own car, you're the one charged for tolls. We've done this for about 3 years now and it works great and our cars are not left outside nor do we have to depend on cabs, etc. This works if going out of Tampa, too.

paulandjean
01-12-2009, 03:02 PM
you sure stick up for the villages. probably because you have a business

Talk Host
01-12-2009, 05:02 PM
you sure stick up for the villages. probably because you have a business

Could you please explain what you mean?

SteveZ
01-29-2009, 10:03 AM
I guess that one's experience with The Villages Airport Shuttle depends on what you want for your money.

I've used the shuttle several times, and will continue to do so for the following reasons:

1. On-Time Performance - it is where it says it will be, when it says it will be, at both ends of the system.

2. Cleanliness and Comfort - to me, converted econoline van services are cramped, often unsanitary, and either too-hot or too-cold. TV Shuttle Busses have none of those problems.

3. Price - The difference for a single rider is about $5 for a cheaper (in all sorts of ways!) ride. To me, I'd rather pay a little extra for the comfort and convenience.

4. Rental Car Option - That's a personal choice, depending on the number of riders, luggage, etc.

5. "Limo" services - I'm never really confident on a "Joe's Limo" type of service, that it will show up when I want it to, or get there when I need to be there. I don't know how many people provide airport transport as an under-the-table service or really are a properly-insured, licensed business. All I do know is that reliability is critical to me when having to make a flight, and discount options just are not worth the risk to me.

Having said all of this, I'm sure there are wonderful people who provide alternate service to The Villages Shuttle. For me, the $5 or so differential is not worth experimentation.

dgammon6
01-29-2009, 01:59 PM
Ditto StevenZ. I've used the shuttle also. Driver and staff were very curtious, able to carry on conversations with other Villagers or visitors which made the trip seem quicker, and I think I read a few weeks ago that they were lowering the price $5.00.

mitchbr47
01-29-2009, 06:23 PM
This unbiased talk out The Villages web site... it's purpose is to promote and market TV just like The Daily Sun's "Happy News" which I would not unbiased.

Have a friend or neighbor drive you, pay the gas bill and buy them dinner at a nice restaurant. Return the favor when they need a ride.

If you take TV bus park your car at the shopping center near Spanish Springs.

Barefoot
01-29-2009, 08:56 PM
This unbiased talk out The Villages web site... it's purpose is to promote and market TV just like The Daily Sun's "Happy News" which I would not unbiased.

Mitch, I think you're saying that TOTV's purpose is to promote and market TV, is that correct? Just curious.

clyd709
01-29-2009, 10:28 PM
I lived in the Villages for almost 10 years before moving to Georgia. Moved because I got Married and my husbands job wasin Georgia. I used the Villages Airport Shuttle all the time I lived in the Villages and never had any problems and thought it was a great value. One Winter evening I arrived at Orlando Int Apt on and International Flight which was 3 hours late and expected to have to stay in Orlando until the next morning and to my surprise The Villages Shuttle was outside to bring me and another couple back to the Villages. I never forgot that and I felt they had gone above and beyond what I had expected of them. I had many wonderfull years in the Villages and enjoy the TOTV.

kchadwick
12-11-2009, 02:32 PM
Tried Jack's limo and was told that the number is not in service. So now how do I get to the airport:(

Freeda
12-11-2009, 03:04 PM
In addition to The Villages Shuttle, there is also the Shuttleliner (www.shuttleliner.com). We have used both and have had good experiences with both. The two services offer different schedules, so you might fine one works for your needs better than the other; but the last I used these services was $35 each way, per person, for either service. Particularly if only one person is traveling, it is more economical to use these services, when you factor in round-trip cost of gasoline, tolls, car wear/tear, and the 'wear and tear' on the driver, both ways, to have someone drop you off at the airport.

Shuttleliner's pick-up/drop-off, though is a little farther - it's the Sleep Inn near the Florida turnpike, on Hwy. 301. I don't know if you can leave your car there (if you wanted to/needed to) at the Sleep Inn, or, if so, whether there is a charge; but I would assume there would me. (When we have used Shuttleliner we got a ride to that location).

Another option, of course, is to drive your own car, and use one of the several off-site locations near the airport where you can park your car for alot less than the cost of airport parking, and get free shuttle service two/from the airport which is included in the cost of parking We have used one that is called 'Parkflyride", I think (probably can be found at parkflyride.com ) - but several of these are available if you do an internet search.

ohiogolf
12-11-2009, 05:25 PM
Don't forget the option of renting an Enterprise rental car for a one way rental to or from the airport. there is a $50 dropoff surcharge if you rent a car and drop it off at Orlando airport but there is not a charge to drive a car one way from the airport to TV. the Enterpise office is at Lake Sumter Landing. We have found this to be a good deal, especially for the hike from Orlando Airport to TV. By renting a car, you control your own fate as far as timing your leave as well as not worrying about missing a shuttle if your flight is delayed in arriving at Orlando.

Diane Delmer
12-12-2009, 04:24 PM
My husband and I will be renting a home the month of January. Need info on the shuttle around TV.

l2ridehd
12-12-2009, 05:18 PM
The shuttle in not a scam in any stretch of the definition. There have been many who have tried to compete and fail. It is a great service that is reliable and works well. There are many other alternatives that most have been covered here. And like everything else each has there pros and cons. If I come in alone, the shuttle is a great value. If I have a group, a rental car is a much cheaper option. With just two of us it can work well either way. Rent an Enterprise car or use the shuttle. Enterprise price structure seems to be dependent on where they have cars. I have paid from $45 to $95 for the same trip. At least the shuttle is the same price all the time. Does any other retirement community have a service like this? I doubt it. And I would bet that when TV is fully built out it will either go away or the price goes up.

Bogie Shooter
12-12-2009, 06:24 PM
My husband and I will be renting a home the month of January. Need info on the shuttle around TV.
Go here-
http://www.thevillages.com/AboutUs/shuttleSchedule.htm

Tripngirl
12-15-2009, 05:47 PM
Gracie, you never cease to amaze me. My husband and I haven't bought in The Villages,
but your are alway gracious in your replies to all....no matter if they have a negative
vibe to them.like this one about getting to the Villages...we have spent time in The Villages and found that if we rented the car from the airport in Orlando and drove down we had the car for the day to get settled in.and then dropped it off at the rental place (I use a site dealcatcher.com for discount codes)...heck, the rental company will drive us back to the home and from there on in we used the golf cart.....well, I confess, one rainy weekend we rented the car and drove around, but that was only one :)...the rest of the time we met people to do things with......it is amazing, and I hope that it won't be a long time before we too are Village People :)
You have a wonderful day! You deserve many. Happy holidays!
Tripngirl - Boston area, and yes we have had snow.....

Army Guy
12-16-2009, 08:32 AM
Tripngirl, you are correct, Gracie is always nice to everyone. The wife and I have had the great pleasure of meeting and having dinner with Gracie and her family and she is even nicer in person.

Army Guy

mrdills
12-16-2009, 01:41 PM
The Florida Jitney went out of business and the Shuttleliner pick up point is at 301 and the Turnpike, so those are not an option. When my wife and I go North we go to Park and Fly and for 5.00-6.00 depending on your discounts you really can go wrong. The amount you are paying for shuttle's you are making up at Park and Fly. Just a thought.......... :D

bronco57
12-20-2009, 04:21 PM

I have used The Villages Shuttle many times, and I have found it to be cost efficient and accomodating. This fall the rate for residents was $35.00. It is more for non residents which is understandable. Some people live to complain.

SteveFromNY
12-20-2009, 09:49 PM
Some people live to complain.

:agree: :agree: :agree:

It is SOOOO true.

Pturner
12-20-2009, 11:42 PM
Gracie, you never cease to amaze me. My husband and I haven't bought in The Villages,
but your are alway gracious in your replies to all....no matter if they have a negative
vibe to them.like this one about getting to the Villages...we have spent time in The Villages and found that if we rented the car from the airport in Orlando and drove down we had the car for the day to get settled in.and then dropped it off at the rental place (I use a site dealcatcher.com for discount codes)...heck, the rental company will drive us back to the home and from there on in we used the golf cart.....well, I confess, one rainy weekend we rented the car and drove around, but that was only one :)...the rest of the time we met people to do things with......it is amazing, and I hope that it won't be a long time before we too are Village People :)
You have a wonderful day! You deserve many. Happy holidays!

Tripngirl - Boston area, and yes we have had snow.....

I so agree about GG!

FL wannabe
02-27-2010, 10:55 AM
GREAT suggestion! Thanks! Enterprise will do a one way rental for our family for about $60! Renting a car from Enterprise with no drop off charge at TV from MCO is our fav

skip0358
02-27-2010, 12:27 PM
Whenever we needed a ride to JFK in New York it cost us $100.00 + a tip. So I can't say that the TV shuttle is a scam. The shuttle hours may be an issue. We're going away in May, hours don't work so we'll probably use one of the parking locations and see how it works out. Some things are cheaper some things are not. I guess it depends on where you lived before you moved here. As far as I'm concerned we made the right choice.

2BNTV
03-12-2010, 02:39 PM
Another vote for a car rental.

Paying a reasonable fee for a service rendered is the cost of doing business.

IMHO - If two or more people wanted to get from the Orlando Airport with a minimum of inconvenience, the best way in would be to rent a car from Enterprise and drive directly to your home in TV. Return the car to Enterprise in TV, (no additional drop off fee), and have Enterprise drive you back home.

Being one person, I might even go this route just for the convenience.

One must shop for the most cost effective way if they have budget concerns or they just want to save money. Of course, everyone has an opinion of how they go about doing their business.

When I visited TV three years ago, I was very impressed for numerous reasons. I wouldn't let one trip from the airport color my thinking on the big picture.

I'll be moving to TV as soon as my condo sells, (on the market since January, 2010), I tired on being a TV wannabee. Hopefully, I will accomplish moving before I see another winter in the northeast.

dmorhome
03-12-2010, 07:13 PM
try $12.00 for taxi ,village taxi for a 1.7 mile ride plus tip.that is a pip off.

cybermuda
03-20-2010, 02:42 PM
Apologies to those who think I live to complain.

However, my thread re the Airport Shuttle was prompted by my feeling that I had been ripped off, and that those who did so were reluctant to remedy the situation:

"The web site clearly states $40 per person each way yet my credit card has been charged $50 and they are baulking at refunding the difference"

The operators have reduced the price to $35 ($65 round trip) so I have used the Shuttle several times since, and have been very happy with it.

If my complaint persuaded them to look at the cost of alternatives and reduce their price accordingly then my life has not been in vain :-)

gary42651
03-20-2010, 03:39 PM
We use Yellow Cab, they are available 24-7, pick you up at your door, and charge 35.00 per person

Barefoot
03-20-2010, 11:22 PM
We use Yellow Cab, they are available 24-7, pick you up at your door, and charge 35.00 per person

The last time we tried to book Yellow Cab, there was no car available. But it is a small business and hopefully it will be successful and grow.

It is splendid to have an alternative to the shuttle, especially after hours. And it is a real plus to be delivered right to your door.

We were disappointed when the Florida Jitney Service closed down. We really hope the Yellow Cab business is a success.

rshoffer
03-21-2010, 06:55 AM
We use Yellow Cab, they are available 24-7, pick you up at your door, and charge 35.00 per personYellow Cab (aka "The Villages Van") just picked up our latest salvo ov guests---at the front door.

Russ_Boston
03-21-2010, 09:00 AM
Could someone post the phone # of the 'yellow cab'? Thanks.

gary42651
03-21-2010, 09:20 AM
I used Yellow Cab about 2 weeks ago, and the driver told me they just bought a few more vans and hired more drivers, their phone number is 352-241-2000

jojo
03-21-2010, 09:39 AM
I wish we could retire this post title because the subject is misleading and does a disservice to The Villages Shuttle Service which is a major asset to those of us who live in The Villages. A friend used yellow cab and was stuck for an extra two hours at a parking lot because they were waiting on another customer.

gary42651
03-21-2010, 09:58 AM
I had a reservation with Yellow cab to pick me up at the Orlando airport, I arrived an hour late because of weather in Philadelphia, I called Yellow Cab, and they told me not to worry they would send me another cab, within a 1/2 hour I was picked up and taken to the Bubble, I was the only passenger and feel they went out of their way. I love the service and just made reservations for them to pick up my wife and I on the 31st of March.

Bogie Shooter
03-21-2010, 04:29 PM
I wish we could retire this post title because the subject is misleading and does a disservice to The Villages Shuttle Service which is a major asset to those of us who live in The Villages.
:agree:

Russ_Boston
03-21-2010, 04:37 PM
I glad the admin changed the title:) :)

Thanks for the yellow cab idea and number.

BobKat1
03-21-2010, 05:38 PM
I glad the admin changed the title:) :)

Thanks for the yellow cab idea and number.

Me too. Makes more sense to discuss the pros and cons.

AJB007
03-23-2010, 08:34 AM
I attempted to use the new Yellow Cab Village Shuttle coming in for a flight on Thursday night recently. Upon making the reservation, we were informed that the van would arrive at 8:30pm at Ground Transportation pickup spot 'B49'. My flight was scheduled to arrive into Orlando at 8:20pm. They were provided with my contact information as usual for any shuttle service so in the event that any changes happened, I could be notified.

Then my troubles began..... :ohdear:

I arrived on time, 8:20pm with no checked luggage, stopped briefly to use the restroom and then went directly to the designated shuttle area B49 as I was instructed, the time is now 8:30pm. The van had not arrived yet, but that was okay, I can wait a few minutes. About 15 minutes later of standing and watching every other shuttle service vehicle come and go, I started to wonder if I had accidentally provided them with the wrong date or time. So I called the Yellow Cab Village Shuttle Bus phone number (not to be confused by The Villages Shuttle Service). I was informed by a nice lady that the driver was on his way and would arrive very soon. Then after 30 minutes, I am really starting to wonder what is going on. The whole reason I opted to use this new service was to avoid waiting 70 minutes for the The Villages Shuttle Service which would not pick up people until 9:30pm. I was only coming down for the weekend so for me, my time is very important and I was eager to get to the Villages at a reasonable hour that evening. I then called back twice, only to receive their voicemail which sounded like I had called someone's house, not a real business. By then I called my relative who was awaiting my arrival and had suggested I use this new service. They had already called twice to confirm my pickup. By 9:25pm, both my relative and myself were fed up. They had my phone number, but did they call me to tell me they would be late for any reason? No. They just left me sitting outside the airport wondering if and when I might be picked up, not the way anyone would want to start their weekend getaway.

My relative was able to make contact after a third phone call to the new shuttle service and they seemed confused and uncertain as to why the driver had not arrived. Despite their efforts to salvage the situation with me, I remained doubtful that I would actually reach the Villages. Finally I decided by now that I needed to take action or I might be stranded for even longer. I accessed The "Real" Villages Shuttle schedule on my cell phone and headed down to B16 to see if they had room for one more on their 9:30pm shuttle. Luckily for me they did and I was on my way. We informed the Yellow Cab service that I would not be waiting any longer and that I was going to use the regular Villages Shuttle.

This was not a positive experience, but I realized the Yellow Cab Village Shuttle Bus service was new and may be subject to problems. Toward the end of my stay, I decided to let them make it up to me by driving me to the airport for free for the way back. I always believe in giving second chances. So the night prior to my departure, we called to schedule my pickup time. My flight was scheduled for 4:47pm. They suggested a pickup time of 1:15pm but said that the driver would contact us the next day (departure date) to confirm the pickup time. This was because they have muliple pickups to make so they couldn't quite lock in the exact pickup time yet. Having not heard from the driver or service, I decided to call them at 12 noon the day of my departure to confirm my scheduled pick up time. I was informed that I would be picked up at 1:30pm. Around 1:25pm I decided to go wait out in the garage to ensure a timely pickup and minimize wait time for any other passengers onboard the shutttle. Just then the phone rings from the driver indicating he would be arriving at 1:45pm. Despite our concern about getting to the airport early enough, he told my relative he would have me to the airport by 2:30pm. Unless I was getting picked up in a Heliocopter, we knew that this would not be possible. At 1:55pm he finally shows up without saying too much and certainly without apology. We get to the airport by 3:15pm. This was adequate time for me. However if I had not been a seasoned traveler with a pre-printed boarding pass and using the expert travel line, this might have left me in a panic state. I tipped my driver, because I thought maybe the guy could have a family to feed etc, and was on my way.

From this point forward, I will only be using the Villages Shuttle Service, even with its slightly qwerky schedule, I know at least they will be there when they say they will.

Maybe I will try the Yellow Cab service again in a year after they get more dependable, if they survive that long.

Good luck to the rest of you!

Russ_Boston
03-23-2010, 09:59 PM
Never saw a person's first post be that long. I think you win a prize. Admins?

Larryandlinda
03-23-2010, 10:13 PM
Never saw a person's first post be that long. I think you win a prize. Admins?

AJB
admirable story
well handled
not a seriously ranting expose
been there done that
Arranged for a cab on Christmas Day for a Baltimore-Orlando Flight, 1999
We are rural, NO traffic at Noon Christmas
Kept calling but NEVER showed
We had a friend make a last minute jaunt and we got there just in time not minutes to spare

Reliability is more important than price

L&L

Barefoot
03-23-2010, 11:08 PM
The Villages Shuttle is great, but the hours are limited. Yellow Cab offers 24 hours service (let's hope they can deliver what they advertise).

I don't feel comfortable driving to the airport. Fireboy often flies in after the Villages Shuttle stops running. In the past, I've hired private drivers to pick him up. The Yellow Cab service is way more affordable.

We had a couple of negative experiences with Yellow Cab but we're attributing them to growing pains. I sincerely hope they work out the "kinks". We're going to continue to use them. Next time is March 30.

We were very disappointed when the Florida Jitney closed down. I sure hope the Yellow Cab service prospers.