PDA

View Full Version : MAD MEN TV Series

islandgal
08-31-2008, 08:34 AM
Is anyone as hooked on the TV series Mad Men as I am? This is its second season on AMC on Sundays @ 10PM and Mondays @ 1PM. It is written and produced by the creator of The Sopranos.

HBO didn't want to take a chance on a second series after the Sopranos, so he went to AMC and it won a Golden Globe last year. This is the second season.
It is about a large advertising firm in NYC in the early 60's and every detail is so 60's authentic. (I was in a large ad firm for 5 years during that time and I can vouch for it.)

http://www.amctv.com/originals/madmen/about/

k2at
08-31-2008, 09:11 AM
Great show! My wife and I tape it on Sunday night and then watch it usually on Monday or Tuesday night. I have no tolerance for the commercials. Just fast forward through them on the following night when we watch it.

islandgal
08-31-2008, 09:16 AM
k2at

Thanks - good idea. There are times I can't stay awake that late and am furious that I missed part of it!!! ::)

Shirleevee
08-31-2008, 10:16 AM
wiw,

I worked right there in the 1960's and this show is so on the mark. I can remember walking into smoke filled offices. The pony glasses the Mad Men drink from are so realistic.
Most of my friends think it is, "over the top"..........not me.

Great show.

Shirleevee

islandgal
08-31-2008, 11:18 AM
Shirlee -

I agree - They have left no stone unturned to keep it accurate.

I also remember how females were treated then as the show presents so well.....when I was promoted, I was still treated as a "secretary" and it took a while to be let in the "boys club".
Also all the hanky panky that went on, everyone smoked in the office, execs had bars in their offices and the martini lunches!!! The Christmas parties got so out of hand, they had to discontinue them!

TV ads were produced in our headquarters (in VA) most of the time in one of our large conference rooms. A one-minute national ad was about $50,000 which seemed outrageous at the time. My gosh, advertising has come a long way.

kit9240
09-30-2008, 02:25 PM
I just discovered this series. It is fantastic! The details are amazing. Brings back many memories. So much smoking! Don't remember my doctor smoking while he was giving me an exam though - that's over the top! We now have sexual harrassment training so those bad boys have to behave themselves!!

Blockbuster has the 1st season series - 3 episodes on a disc.

islandgal
09-30-2008, 02:47 PM
I just discovered this series. It is fantastic! The details are amazing. Brings back many memories. So much smoking! Don't remember my doctor smoking while he was giving me an exam though - that's over the top! We now have sexual harrassment training so those bad boys have to behave themselves!!

Blockbuster has the 1st season series - 3 episodes on a disc.

I wasn't surprised at all when it won the Emmy!
Yes, it brings back many memories!!!!
If you have Comcast Broadband, all of the programs are under TV Series....You can also see some episodes on
http://www.fancast.com/full_episodes

chelsea24
09-30-2008, 05:14 PM
I wasn't surprised at all when it won the Emmy!
Yes, it brings back many memories!!!!
If you have Comcast Broadband, all of the programs are under TV Series....You can also see some episodes on
http://www.fancast.com/full_episodes

OMG! Islandgal, I've been watching this show ever since you told me about it. It's a bit before my time in advertising, but can still see where it was all heading. Very realistic and brings back great memories for me. I was a writer then a Creative Director and although this series is set before my time, I can totally relate to all the characters. If they put them in 70's and 80's clothes, I think I could name all of these characters from my past!

I can't thank you enough for telling me about it. Big hugs, chels :coolsmiley: