PDA

View Full Version : BEES. In the ground and stinging me but here in Ohio. HELP

graciegirl
08-31-2008, 02:07 PM
Four or five years ago we had a nest of hornets? that came out of a hole in the ground and they stung me more than a dozen times when I used the garden hose on the hole , the entrance to their house I guess. I called the exterminator and for a hundred bucks they were gone.

Now we have another critter nest in the ground , bees of some kind, and I just got stung again. My husband poured Severn down it last night and I had poured kitty litter on it. Well one stung me as I was sweeping the walk. Does anyone have advice for me, or should I just call the expensive exterminator?

Do they have mean bees in Florida? I am grateful not to be hyperallergic, but they HURT.

jnieman
09-01-2008, 12:49 AM
Hi Gracie:
I live in Hadley and the other day we found a large wasp nest in our bottle bush. We waited until night and my hubby cut the branch it was on, sprayed it good with wasp killer and smashed it between two newspapers with his foot. Lucky no wasps came at him. Now I see a few flying around the bush looking for their nest. I lived in Dayton and we always had honeybees and yellow jackets. We tried to get rid of them ourselves, to no avail. Finally called Abel exterminators. It didn't cost that much and they got rid of them and they never came back.
Good luck.

Judy

JohnN
09-01-2008, 12:57 AM
don't mess with the Sevin, get the big guns,
the wasp and hornet killer will work, so would any heavy duty insecticide.

(ie: termites, or the whole house sprays they have are pretty darned good)

Peachie
09-01-2008, 01:14 AM
Graciegirl, we've used wasp and hornet spray and always been able to control the bees ourselves. We always spray the area/nest after darkness has descended and all the bees are back in their nest. The spray can reads that one can spray from a distance of 20'. We've never sprayed that far away but if you absolutely must spray during daylight hours it would give a little running room. Good luck, it's not fun being stung that often. :o

thehags
09-01-2008, 01:17 AM
We are currently up north but have had for the last 2 years a bees nest in our yard. We have just used the wasp & hornet spray on their entrance ing the ground at night and we usually get rid of them in one try. But we were told you have to do it at night.

Good luck

blueeagle65
09-01-2008, 10:20 AM
We had ground dwelling sand hornets back in WV. Big scary looking critters. We found that waiting till dusk after they have all gone home and dropping a couple firecrackers down their hole did the trick. Of course any excuse to blow anything up was welcome for us kids.

784caroline
09-01-2008, 07:44 PM
I got stung more times from "Yellow Jackets" in teeh ground in mulch piles as well as many other places. When I found them in the ground (or they found me) I would wait until dark and then pour some gasoline in the hole and then light it up. Never bothered me again...until another nest was hatched!! I call that revenge!!!

PS You wait until dark for the bees become much less active...but I dont mess around after pouring the gas...I light it up quick and stand back!

Barefoot
09-01-2008, 11:36 PM
Spraying wasps nests with Wasp and Hornet spray has always worked for me. After dark, of course, when they're all asleep. I have a severe allergy to yellow-jacket wasps so I'm very careful to spray from a distance and run like hell!

graciegirl
09-01-2008, 11:47 PM
Well the end of week score is GracieGirl 0 and Bees 5, Actually 6, they stung Sweetie once. We have done all of the things suggested and still the little varmints have 3 or 4 "guard Bees" flying around and they dislike me intensely. Their nest is right between the house and the front sidewalk and I give UP. On Tuesday the bee getter is coming.

wdwduo
09-02-2008, 01:29 AM
graciegirl, calling the pros is a good move. You should be very cautious from this point on, after several stings you can develop a sensitivity to the stings which can result in life-threating symptoms. LED

Peachie
09-02-2008, 01:42 AM
Good for you, Graciegirl. You know those bees love their honeys, you two are a natural target. ;)

Barefoot
09-02-2008, 02:17 AM
You should be very cautious from this point on, after several stings you can develop a sensitivity to the stings which can result in life-threating symptoms. LED

That is a very good point. GG, be careful now. I used to be just fine with wasp stings. After being stung many times in my life, I suddenly developed a life-threatening allergy. Now if I get stung I have to take an ambulance to the hospital and get an IV.

GG, if you get stung and your throat starts to close up or you get hives, get yourself to a hospital girl.

Peachie
09-02-2008, 02:30 AM
Barefoot, do you carry an EpiPen with you at all times for insect stings?

Barefoot
09-02-2008, 03:05 AM
Barefoot, do you carry an EpiPen with you at all times for insect stings?

Actually, Peachie, I do carry two EpiPens with me and use them both if I get stung. I am only allergic to the sting of yellow-jacket wasps. But then I still have to go to the hospital and get an IV.

jojo
09-02-2008, 12:08 PM
GG - Be careful! I discovered two big mud nests in the outside corners of my house. I sprayed with hornet spray and then washed it off. I was told it was mud dopplers and that they do not sting and that they like bottle brush trees which I have. I am now alert for any signs of their return -i.e. inspecting the outside corners.

Peachie
09-02-2008, 12:51 PM
Good for you, Barefoot! One early morning on the golf course while our league was playing a round, one of the ladies was stung by a yellow jacket. She began to say, "I may be allerg........." and passed out. (She was in her early sixties and had never had a reaction from stings until the time she was stung previously and her throat swelled a little). Her foursome called out for someone to call rescue. Long story short, rescue was there in under 10 minutes and they almost lost her!
She tearfully told us at the league closing banquet that she now carries an EpiPen and thanked everyone for saving her life by acting so quickly.

graciegirl
09-06-2008, 12:39 PM
Thank you everyone for your excellent advice, the one taken was....get an exterminator. Now the little beestards are gone and I can cut the grass and pull the weeds without fear of being stung.

I carry an epipen for a shellfish allergy. (You can be so careful but at parties, people put unknown ingredients in things.) So I want you to forgive me ahead of time for annoyingly asking "What's in this?" I am so unpicky and taught to never ask that sort of question.