PDA

View Full Version : Husband and Wife Golf carts?

Norcoose10
09-18-2015, 02:37 PM
My wife and I are moving to the Villages next June. We thought it would be best to have our own individual golf carts but now we are wondering if that is necessary. We would really appreciate input from couples to help us decide. Thank you, we are looking forward to joining you in The Villages.

Fraugoofy
09-18-2015, 02:39 PM
Depends if you think you will do most of your activities together or separate. We each have our own...

jnieman
09-18-2015, 02:43 PM
My wife and I are moving to the Villages next June. We thought it would be best to have our own individual golf carts but now we are wondering if that is necessary. We would really appreciate input from couples to help us decide. Thank you, we are looking forward to joining you in The Villages.

We share one car and one cart and we both play golf. I would say if your wife golfs several times a week there may be some conflict but she could always hitch a ride with whoever she is playing with or you could do the same on the days of the conflict. Even when I was playing 3 days a week it still worked for us to just have one cart. I'd say give it a try first you could always buy another cart later on if you need one.

coach
09-18-2015, 03:14 PM
We have two carts because we play lots of golf in different groups. I agree with prior poster that I would start with one cart and see how it works out. Adding a second cart is easy.

rjm1cc
09-18-2015, 03:19 PM
I would start with one. If you are going to get two think if both are going to be gas or electric? I think I would start with an electric and if a second is needed then you could go to gas if the electric range is too short.

Mamaderby
09-18-2015, 03:26 PM
We started with one cart and two cars and then quickly realized we only needed one car and two carts! Start with one and then be prepared to get her the color she wants😉

Norcoose10
09-18-2015, 03:34 PM
Thank you all for sharing your experience and suggestions.

missypie
09-18-2015, 03:34 PM
Totally agree. You need to drive one golf cart for a while. Figure out your needs and change if necessary. One can always buy another golf cart. Since moving to TV, my mind has changed on several things that I preconceived needed to happen or that we needed to purchase. Living here gives clarity to your wants and needs.

BobandMary
09-18-2015, 07:28 PM
We just moved here. We have 1 car and 2 carts. We bought a house that came with an electric golf cart. We bought a new Yamaha gas cart. We've put 300 miles on the new cart in 2 weeks. We are having so much fun exploring! I like having the 2 carts. I run off to do something fun. He likes to food shop.

Callaway Guy
09-18-2015, 07:38 PM
Depends if you think you will do most of your activities together or separate. We each have our own...

Same here. We do a lot together, but we also do some things separately. Each one of us having one has worked out good.

graciegirl
09-18-2015, 07:59 PM
We have two carts because we play lots of golf in different groups. I agree with prior poster that I would start with one cart and see how it works out. Adding a second cart is easy.

I agree. We had one for several years and found it was more convenient to have two since we played golf in different groups.

Shadow8IA
09-18-2015, 08:19 PM
We have one car and one cart. It works great for us but I don't golf.

Barefoot
09-18-2015, 08:26 PM
You need to drive one golf cart for a while. Living here gives clarity to your wants and needs.

We all have preconceived notions before we move to The Villages.
As Missypie wisely said, living here gives clarity!

thelegges
09-19-2015, 03:55 AM
We are buying a new cart this year and going to keep our old one

skip0358
09-19-2015, 06:19 AM
We have 2 carts 1 car. On property the carts are used 100% of the time. Mine is a 4 seater hers is a 2 seater. Both are gas and we use them both equally. By the way we don't golf.

tomwed
09-19-2015, 06:47 AM
I don't have a cart. I have a smartcar and an ebike. This has worked out for me and hardly anyone else I have met here but it's worth considering.

I walk the execs and play the champs with friends. They all have carts.

The smartcar is fun to drive in TV but a little scarey on the highway. The smartcar cost less than many golf carts if you look at the TCO of a car and a cart because I leased it for a one time payment of $4,300 and that's for 3 years.

Compared to a golf cart, I feel my ride is safe, cool, warm, dry, quiet, comfortable and quick. I can be almost anywhere in 20 minutes and I live in Collier off 301. I never worry about my clubs being secured, where I'm going after golf or the weather. I don't deal with putting down flaps or not having windshield wipers. When I'm tired after golf I go into a dry, warm or cool car.

The ebike [battery powered] is fun too. It's pedal assist so the more energy I put in the faster it goes, up to 19 mph. I even pull a pull cart with my clubs. It's fun to ride in the heat and the cold and learned the hard way that if a rainstorm comes in go for shelter and wait it out. I'm not late for work anymore.

Walking the execs is easy for me and I don't drink and drive. Those are the game changers for me.

It's just an alternative view. I always thought I would love to live in a golf cart community using just a golf cart. So you never know how you will think until you try it out for a while. I rented a cheap, crappy, smelly, loud cart for 2 months and the first time I took an hour to get to Lopez, I was disenchanted.

Bay Kid
09-19-2015, 06:53 AM
Single with 2 carts, one work (golf, shopping, etc.), one sport. I feel you soon find out you need 2 carts.

Jim 9922
09-19-2015, 07:57 AM
We found 2 carts is the way to go and the car usually sits. But be sure, if you get a home with a cart garage, that the cart garage area is at least 18 feet deep so you can fit in 2 carts. A cart footprint is approx. 8' x 4'.

jpvillager
09-19-2015, 08:18 AM
We have one cart. My wife's is a Z3 convertible and I get the cart. She can not play golf now. I have found that the Villages is getting so big that sometime it is better for me to drive a car and meet/ride with a friend who lives closer to the golf course. My preference is a gas cart because even though the electric probably will cover the distance I don't have to worry about it. One of the nice things about the Villages is it is a lot of fun just to go exploring on the cart. Make sure to get and use seat belts. Welcome to The Villages.

Villager Joyce
09-19-2015, 08:40 AM
We have two cars and one gas cart. Our plans were to replace the first car to die with an electric cart. Problem is I have a Honda and he has a Toyota. We may need to change the plan at some point.

Chi-Town
09-19-2015, 08:59 AM
One car, an electric two seater, and a gas four seater. The electric two seater is excellent for golf as it allows you to enjoy nature without the noise or smell of a gas cart.

Walter123
09-19-2015, 09:49 AM
We have two carts, one car and four legs.

Golden Years
09-19-2015, 10:29 AM
Golf = gentlemen only ladies forbidden so one cart will do. If she is off galavanting who is going to get you a beer and cook for you when you come home from playing golf.

villagetinker
09-19-2015, 10:39 AM

Norcoose, there a couple of things to think about, I my suggestions would be to come downs with your car(s), and get a feel for TV then decide.
1. Depending on where you live, getting to some of the town squares or shopping centers is a very long drive in a golf cart.
2. If you intend to start golfing immediately, then yes get a cart. Do a search on gas and electric carts to get an idea which might be better, personally, I would go for gas.
3.We have 4 cars, 2 classic/antique, 2 daily drivers, and a golf cart, and due to the above mentioned distances, we use the cars 95% of the time.

All of the above comments are good, but you really need to look at your specific situation before jumping into golf carts.

Hope this helps.

ConnieNonnie
09-19-2015, 10:47 AM
I bought a used Gem Cart that is street legal.
I do enjoy the golf cart paths most of the time,
But have the option of crossing 441 or 466
Without going thru tunnels or bridges. I can
Also cross Rolling Acres.

JoMar
09-19-2015, 01:10 PM
My wife does not play golf....I do. She is involved in activities and has her own schedule. We prefer to travel by cart and only use the car if we travel to 441 or SS. We each have our own electric cart and one car, we sold the second car because it went nowhere. Her cart is a bit more luxurious then mine so when we do stuff together we use hers......hmmm, I don't think she has ever driven mine :)

Topspinmo
09-20-2015, 06:29 AM
For me is about space. I only have space for car, golf cart and motorcycle. I can stand to leave anything out side in the weather. If I had more space I would have more:1rotfl: I really miss my truck!:sigh:

capecoralbill
09-20-2015, 08:36 AM
I don't have a cart. The smartcar cost less than many golf carts if you look at the TCO of a car and a cart because I leased it for a one time payment of $4,300 and that's for 3 years.

I know very little about golf carts gas or elec. And less about smart cars. I understand golf carts insurance cost about 100 dollars a year, how abut the smart car. What brands are avail and what do you have or recommend? thanks Bill

tomwed
09-20-2015, 10:39 AM
I know very little about golf carts gas or elec. And less about smart cars. I understand golf carts insurance cost about 100 dollars a year, how abut the smart car. What brands are avail and what do you have or recommend? thanks Bill
A smartcar is a real car made by Mercedes that's the size of a golf cart. You drive it on the road only. You insure it like any other car.
Here is their site:
mini electric cars and micro urban cars | smart USA (http://www.smartusa.com/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Desktop-Brand&utm_content=smartcar)
My advise is to find a dealer near you and drive it around. It's a little scarey outside of the bubble. I have the Pure Coupe.

tedquick
09-20-2015, 11:52 AM
We have one car, an electric 4-seater (my wife's) golf cart and a gas 2-seater (mine) golf cart. While we generally use my cart when we go most places, when we are with friends and want to travel together we use her 4-seater. We only use the car if our destination is not golf-cart accessible. She and I both golf and both are involved in a variety of different endeavors. We could not get along very well with just one cart and you must have a car for those "hard to reach" places.

Congrats on your pending move and hope you love TV as much as my wife and I do.

JoelJohnson
09-21-2015, 06:45 AM
We don't play golf, but we have 1 car and two carts (1 gas, 1 electric).

dotti105
10-28-2015, 11:07 PM
Most people we know have 2 carts and 1 car. Lots of residents end up getting rid of their 2nd car after being here for awhile.

Carts are just fun! It is easy and fun to get just about anywhere here in The Villages. We live south of 466A, but use our carts to go to Lake Sumter and to Spanish Springs. Many people think it is too far but we are not in a rush these days, living "the lifestyle".

Our Prius sits in the garage unless we go to Ocala, Orlando or to businesses on 441. Both of our carts are electric and have optional 3rd and 4th seats.

When we have guests we always use the carts. Everyone loves the golf cart lifestyle here!

graciegirl
10-29-2015, 05:00 AM
Totally agree. You need to drive one golf cart for a while. Figure out your needs and change if necessary. One can always buy another golf cart. Since moving to TV, my mind has changed on several things that I preconceived needed to happen or that we needed to purchase. Living here gives clarity to your wants and needs.

Listen to this smart woman.

Dynsol
10-29-2015, 06:52 AM

Ditto........

ditka41
10-29-2015, 09:39 AM
We fully agree with the ONE car (preferably SUV) and TWO golf carts suggestion. Great feeling of freedom to not hassle about who gets the cart or beg for rides from a golfing friend. It is amazing how many times a week both our carts are utilized at the same time. My wife has customized her cart to the point that I refuse to drive it, even to get gas.

RickeyD
10-29-2015, 09:45 AM
We fully agree with the ONE car (preferably SUV) and TWO golf carts suggestion. Great feeling of freedom to not hassle about who gets the cart or beg for rides from a golfing friend. It is amazing how many times a week both our carts are utilized at the same time. My wife has customized her cart to the point that I refuse to drive it, even to get gas.

Eyelashes above the headlights ?