PDA

View Full Version : Help! Want to be a Villager. But need to work when I get there!

jimmybee
09-03-2008, 04:31 PM
Hi Folks,
I have visited TV on two occasions, last Feb and 2 years prior. I am now 61, and have no retirement from a job or SS, have enough to buy a moderately priced home, am single (or soon will be). So I need to find a job when I get there to pay the monthly bills. Have a resume, if needed. Briefly, Sales 35 years, Golf Instruction, last 3 years. I have no idea how to contact employers, other than the few items in Daily Sun. How do you get employment opportunities in surrounding areas or cities? I live in Amarillo, TX now.
Please advise, I would really appreciate it. You have no idea how much I want to live in TV!!
Jimmybee

Cassie325
09-03-2008, 05:32 PM
Craigslist and Monster.....

PS....SSHHHHH.....you said the owrds Villages and W_rk in the same sentence! That is not allowed here in TV's.....

some of us have to w_rk.....ssshhhhh we don't like to talk about it or think about it...and it really gets in the way of our villages lifestyle!

Russ_Boston
09-03-2008, 05:34 PM
Well I don't live there yet either but it seems to me that you have two possibilities within TV that fit your resume. Either new home sales agent and/or golf instructor. I can't imagine that (assuming you are a qualified instructor) that there wouldn't be a place for you within the TV system. I'm sure that you have seen this site: http://www.golfthevillages.com/index.asp and perhaps a call to someone on the contact us page could get you started on exploring that route. There is also a larger range nearby that does instruction (tree tops i think is the name? someone?). I would go that route if it were me.

The TV sales agent may or may not be to your liking but it may be worth a call. You might get a start in that area but calling someone from this site: http://www.careersinthevillages.com/careerChoices.asp#top

Good luck - Maybe you can get me to a single digit golfer when I get down there.

Russ

Cassie325
09-03-2008, 05:35 PM
Well I don't live there yet either but it seems to me that you have two possibilities within TV that fit your resume. Either new home sales agent and/or golf instructor. I can't imagine that (assuming you are a qualified instructor) that there wouldn't be a place for you within the TV system. I'm sure that you have seen this site: http://www.golfthevillages.com/index.asp and perhaps a call to someone on the contact us page could get you started on exploring that route. There is also a larger range nearby that does instruction (tree tops i think is the name? someone?). I would go that route if it were me.

The TV sales agent may or may not be to your liking but it may be worth a call. You might get a start in that area but calling someone from this site: http://www.careersinthevillages.com/careerChoices.asp#top

Good luck - Maybe you can get me to a single digit golfer when I get down there.

Russ

Hey Russ...don't you have to a licenced agent to sell for TV's?? I was thinking of getting mine....

Russ_Boston
09-03-2008, 05:56 PM
Not sure.

JohnN
09-03-2008, 07:01 PM
The Villages actually hires lots of folks, try their website www.thevillages.com and I think there's a link for career opportunities

Ooper
09-04-2008, 02:33 AM
Jimmybee... stop in to The Villages Human Resource Department. I think they have a loose leaf binder with available jobs in The Villages.

rshoffer
09-04-2008, 06:23 PM
Craigslist and Monster.....

PS....SSHHHHH.....you said the owrds Villages and W_rk in the same sentence! That is not allowed here in TV's.....

some of us have to w_rk.....ssshhhhh we don't like to talk about it or think about it...and it really gets in the way of our villages lifestyle!
go to the thread in the General Issues forum that asked what kinda work people did BEFORE they "retired". It is amazing how many live here and are still working, not retired.

blueeagle65
09-04-2008, 07:21 PM
monster.com is terrible for this area - they are only concerned w/ the Orlando metro area. You may be OK since you're in sales - lots of retail down here, however, the pay sucks. I guess if you're on commission and are good at whatever you sell, you may do just fine. Good luck!

rshoffer
09-04-2008, 08:14 PM
monster.com is terrible for this area - they are only concerned w/ the Orlando metro area. You may be OK since you're in sales - lots of retail down here, however, the pay sucks. I guess if you're on commission and are good at whatever you sell, you may do just fine. Good luck!
when I asked why the pay "sucks" here (it DOES).... I was given this answer: "they pay you in sunshine"! (I kid you not)