PDA

View Full Version : Landscape Instruction and Information

MnGirl
09-03-2008, 08:44 PM
I would like to put together a class or classes on landscaping. I was wondering would anyone be interested in attending.
I know they have garden clubs, but I want to talk about trees, shrubs and and the arrangement there of.
I worked for a nursery as a Landscape Designer and I love sharing information. I also hate to see "do it yourselfers" make mistakes.
How do I go about this? Can I use the rec centers? I don't really want to start a club, and I'm not doing it for profit. It's just something I enjoy. Answers anyone?

villages07
09-03-2008, 08:52 PM
Mn...

I believe you have to be a recognized club to use the rec center meeting rooms without a fee. You could offer to speak at meetings of any of the established social or special interest clubs. I think it would be a very popular topic. The Sabal Chase ladies club had a young lady from FL Ag Service speak and it was very well received. She more lectured than did Q&A or Villages specific. I think your subject matter is very relevant.

Great idea.... I know your Nursery/design work and found you to be very creative and knowledgeable.

JohnN
09-11-2008, 12:11 PM
MnGirl,
I'd be interested, although I'm just here part-time right now.
I think you can use the centers at no charge.

MnGirl
09-11-2008, 12:14 PM
Thanks, I'll look into it.

Hyacinth Bucket
09-11-2008, 02:04 PM
mn girl - please sign me up for your class.

What about doing it through LLC?

Just remember if you get an overwhelming response I am the first one that signed up.

Please send me a pm when you have more info - I am not always able to log into TOTV.

Thanks -

HB

JohnN
09-11-2008, 03:15 PM
HB, *cough cough* you're the 2nd LOLOLOL..

Hyacinth Bucket
09-11-2008, 07:55 PM
JohnN you stated and I quote

"MnGirl,
I'd be interested, although I'm just here part-time right now.
I think you can use the centers at no charge."

You stated you were only interested- ;)

Since I am such a nice person I will let you in front of me on line - meaning you are now next to the last one signing up. LOL

HB, *cough cough* you're the 2nd LOLOLOL..

HB

HB

JohnN
09-11-2008, 08:54 PM
HB,
I've learned over the years that quoting me is ill advised LOLOL.
I'm always the gentleman though, and I insist on you being first in line.

Hyacinth Bucket
09-11-2008, 09:11 PM
Okay JohnN, but just remember you are next to last and I am next to first.

HB

MnGirl
09-12-2008, 01:57 PM
Thanks for the great ideas, I have a direction now. LLC, I'm calling you today!

Hyacinth Bucket
09-12-2008, 02:42 PM
MnGirl, since JohnN and I have decided who is next to last and who is next to first please let us know what dates you plan to hold the classes on. Or perhaps we should let you know when we can take the course in cast you have choice of dates.

Please let us know about LLC.

HB

duffysmom
09-12-2008, 09:18 PM
MnGirl,

I too am interested in signing up. PM me when it's a go. Thanks

Hyacinth Bucket
09-16-2008, 02:42 PM
Hi, I am just saying "Hello" so that I get all new messages on this thread.

HB

happyinthevillages
02-08-2012, 09:41 AM
This is a good idea for plant placement & creativity, but what we really need is someone who can instruct us how to care for our landscape in the villages. So many people overwater or dont use the appropriate fertilizers and end up killing their investments., I would love to sign up for your class. When u find out more then please send me an email. :coolsmiley:

Bogie Shooter
02-08-2012, 11:23 AM
This is a good idea for plant placement & creativity, but what we really need is someone who can instruct us how to care for our landscape in the villages. So many people overwater or dont use the appropriate fertilizers and end up killing their investments., I would love to sign up for your class. When u find out more then please send me an email. :coolsmiley:

Since this thread is over 3 years old.....maybe this information will help you.
You can also go to this site for more Florida gardening information.
Florida Yards and Neighborhoods - Sumter County Extension Office (http://sumter.ifas.ufl.edu/FFL/index.shtml)

Plant Clinics
Plant clinics are staffed by Sumter County Master Gardener volunteers under the leadership of UF/IFAS Sumter County Extension Master Gardener Coordinator/Urban Horticulture Agent, Brooke Moffis. Plant clinics offer various services such as identification of plant pests or problems, turf maintenance, palm care, as well as provide information and assistance on general landscape maintenance.
If you are submitting a plant sample, please follow these guidelines.

Submission Guidelines for Plant Clinics:
1.Bring in the portion of the plant that is affected or just showing signs of damage. Please do not bring in dead plant samples, as it is very hard to determine the exact cause of decline.
2.Bring plant specimens in a box, wrapped in newspaper or freezer bag. Place insect specimens in rubbing alcohol to prevent desiccation.
3.Please include your name, telephone or e-mail address on submitted samples.
Internet Submission Guidelines:

1.Take a picture of the damaged area, as well as the overall plant.
2.Send pictures that are of good quality. Close-ups should be clear. Fuzzy or poor quality pictures make it very difficult to diagnose problems.
3.Please list as much information as possible concerning the maintenance and care of the plant prior to submission. For example, when the problem started happening, watering and/or irrigation frequency, amount and type of fertilizer applied and the most recent pesticide applications.
4.Please send pictures that are 4 MB or less.
5.Send pictures to plantclinic@aol.com.
If you are unable to attend the plant clinic, but wish to bring in a sample of the plant, please feel free to drop off the sample at our Sumter County Extension Office, located at 7620 County Road 471 Suite 2, during regular business hours, 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday, except holidays.

Plant Clinic Locations
Bushnell

Time: Every Wednesday from 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. and every Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.

Location: Sumter County Fairgrounds 7620 SR 471 Suite 2, Bushnell, FL 33513.

Telephone number: (352) 793-2728 ext. 229

The Villages

Time: Every Monday from 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.

Location: The Sumter County Government Annex Building, 8033 CR 466, The Villages

(located on the corner of Morse Blvd. and CR 466).

Telephone number: (352) 689-4673

Florida Gardens, Questions and Answers

Time: 1st Thursday of every month from 1:00 p.m. to 2:50 p.m.

Location: Sterling Heights Recreation Center 2508 St. Charles Place, The Villages, FL 32162

*Must have a Villages I.D. to attend*

Telephone number: (352) 793-2728 ext. 222 or ext. 229

mrfixit
02-08-2012, 02:36 PM
....Thank You to .."happy in the villages"...
.....................for bumping this thread up for review.

AND.....A BIG THANK YOU to>>> "Bogie Shooter" <<<

...... for the comprehensive overview of the available venues.

........Life IS good in "The Villages",...as usual.

Ohiogirl
02-08-2012, 02:48 PM
I know the thread is old, but since it's been resurrected, you should know that there IS a fairly new Landscape Garden Club - meets at Laurel Manor on the 3rd Monday of every month at 2:30 pm. Headed by Norm Isbell, who is an experienced landscape designer from California - he's lived here several years, has a beautiful yard that was on last year's Garden Tour.

The Garden Tour is put on by the Garden Club North, which meets at Mulberry on the 2nd Wednesday of every month at 9:00 am. It is headed by Anne Lambrecht, who writes the informative and sometimes humorous gardening articles in the POA Bulletin and Recreation News sometimes.

This year's tour (normally the end of April) is in jeopardy of being cancelled because of a lack of volunteers to show their gardens. I think they only have 5 - if enough additional homeowners volunteer shortly, perhaps it can still be offered.

Both of these clubs touch on many aspects of gardening and are very informative, as are the Extension programs mentioned earlier.