PDA

View Full Version : House built after July 2015 can't use attic TV antenna

mrdarcy
09-30-2015, 08:06 PM
My new house built in the Village of Osceola Hills since July 1 2015 is constructed with a radiant barrier lining the roof due to new energy efficiency codes. Last Saturday I had the audio visual (A/V) expert come to install an over the air (OTA) TV antenna in my attic. I wanted to "cut the cord" for cable TV. We discovered my attic is lined with a radiant barrier which renders signal reception impossible. I recall noticing, as I watched my house being built, that the underside of whatever the builder used for my roof was silver in color and had wording "radiant barrier" written on it. The A/V tech said my roof is now like having a tin foil hat covering my house. The only way I can get OTA reception is with an outside mounted antenna. My house has a perfect unobstructed southern exposure and is even slightly elevated. The A/V guy said if it were not for my new foil lined roof, my house would be the ideal candidate for OTA reception.

So, today I had to renew my subscription to Brighthouse Network. I enjoyed excellent service from Brighthouse for 3 years at my former house in The Village of Charlotte. But, alas, my hopes of living off the grid for television cannot be realized.

ukbill70
09-30-2015, 08:48 PM
My new house built in the Village of Osceola Hills since July 1 2015 is constructed with a radiant barrier lining the roof due to new energy efficiency codes. Last Saturday I had the audio visual (A/V) expert come to install an over the air (OTA) TV antenna in my attic. I wanted to "the the cord" for cable TV. We discovered my attic is lined with a radiant barrier which renders signal reception impossible. I recall noticing, as I watched my house being built, that the underside of whatever the builder used for my roof was silver in color and had wording "radiant barrier" written on it. The A/V tech said my roof is now like having a tin foil hat covering my house. The only way I can get OTA reception is with an outside mounted antenna. My house has a perfect unobstructed southern exposure and is even slightly elevated. The A/V guy said if it were not for my new foil lined roof, my house would be the ideal candidate for OTA reception.

So, today I had to renew my subscription to Brighthouse Network. I enjoyed excellent service from Brighthouse for 3 years at my former house in The Village of Charlotte. But, alas, my hopes of living off the grid for television cannot be realized.
You gave the solution. Put up an outside antenna the TV cannot stop you and with the location you described it should work good.

KeepingItReal
09-30-2015, 09:10 PM

Are you saying you had to commit to a certain time period? Thought they did not have contracts? Antenna sounds good.

fred53
09-30-2015, 09:27 PM
Are you saying you had to commit to a certain time period? Thought they did not have contracts? Antenna sounds good. [/QUOTE]

got from "So, today I had to renew my subscription to Brighthouse Network. I enjoyed excellent service from Brighthouse for 3 years at my former house in The Village of Charlotte. But, alas, my hopes of living off the grid for television cannot be realized." to thinking Brighthouse required a contract.

It clearly states he had their service for 3 years(that's the length of time he had their cable) and using the phrase "renew my subscription" does not denote having a contract...only that he uses their services for tv reception.

village dreamer
09-30-2015, 09:44 PM
where do you buy an antenna, is this like the old metal ones 4-5 feet long with spikes??

rubicon
10-01-2015, 05:45 AM
My new house built in the Village of Osceola Hills since July 1 2015 is constructed with a radiant barrier lining the roof due to new energy efficiency codes. Last Saturday I had the audio visual (A/V) expert come to install an over the air (OTA) TV antenna in my attic. I wanted to "cut the cord" for cable TV. We discovered my attic is lined with a radiant barrier which renders signal reception impossible. I recall noticing, as I watched my house being built, that the underside of whatever the builder used for my roof was silver in color and had wording "radiant barrier" written on it. The A/V tech said my roof is now like having a tin foil hat covering my house. The only way I can get OTA reception is with an outside mounted antenna. My house has a perfect unobstructed southern exposure and is even slightly elevated. The A/V guy said if it were not for my new foil lined roof, my house would be the ideal candidate for OTA reception.

Perhaps a solution to your problem in part is to invest in TIVO. They have just updated and offer much more including a one button push to sip over commercials.

RickeyD
10-01-2015, 05:51 AM

I wonder if this radiant barrier will decrease the life of the roof shingles. If the solar gain cannot penetrate through the roof sheathing it may concentrate the heat between the radiant barrier and the shingles. I see many dark colored shingles in TV, not the best for shingle longevity.

outlaw
10-01-2015, 06:53 AM
I hope you consider your neighbors before installing an outdoor antenna. A bunch of houses with outdoor antennas will be an eyesore.

graciegirl
10-01-2015, 06:58 AM

Is this a National change, do you think? Or a county change? Isn't Osceola Hills in Lake County? Let us know if the savings in energy equal the money saved from installing an antenna.

Radiant Barriers | Department of Energy (http://energy.gov/energysaver/radiant-barriers)

RickeyD
10-01-2015, 07:02 AM
Is this a National change, do you think? Or a county change? Isn't Osceola Hills in Lake County? Let us know if the savings in energy equal the money saved from installing an antenna.

Radiant Barriers | Department of Energy (http://energy.gov/energysaver/radiant-barriers)

Osceola Hills is Sumter, Pine Hills is Lake.

villagetinker
10-01-2015, 08:13 AM
You are allowed to install an outdoor antenna. The new digital HD long range antennas are relatively small, and if you have it mounted at roof level, it should not cause much concern to your neighbors.
If you do a search on outdoor antennas or FCC, you will find previous threads on this subject as well as the FCC rules allowing outside antennas for television reception, irrespective of HOA rules. Sop you can still cut the cord.

gap2415
10-01-2015, 08:19 AM
I hope you consider your neighbors before installing an outdoor antenna. A bunch of houses with outdoor antennas will be an eyesore.

Not so, some are the size of a small pie plate much smaller than direct tv dish, plus, it might be useable for a lightening rod to protect the house.

gap2415
10-01-2015, 08:30 AM

I think so. University students have used them for years and then their parents and so on. They are as small as a pie plate so hardly noticeable as compared to Direct or Dish. Clarity is great. This and new systems coming soon from Google and Apple threaten cable companies existence in the near future.

RVRoadie
10-01-2015, 09:07 AM

Modern HD antennas have a very small footprint, and are less obtrusive than the many satellite dishes throughout TV. Go ahead and put one up in a discrete spot, mounted close to the roof.

tuccillo
10-01-2015, 09:19 AM
You want to make sure the specs for the antenna are such that you have a reasonable chance of pulling in the stations from Orlando, that is about 60+ miles away. This distance typically requires a pretty good sized antenna for enough gain. Higher is better since the curvature of the earth is an issue. It is pretty hard to defeat physics.

Not so, some are the size of a small pie plate much smaller than direct tv dish, plus, it might be useable for a lightening rod to protect the house.

JoMar
10-01-2015, 07:53 PM
You gave the solution. Put up an outside antenna the TV cannot stop you and with the location you described it should work good.

And endear yourself to your neighbors.

dbussone
10-01-2015, 08:12 PM
And endear yourself to your neighbors.

The antenna is no more or less intrusive than the dishes, IMO. The FCC protects both.

ricthemic
10-01-2015, 08:25 PM

Do you also think the direct tv dishes on roofs and yards are an eyesore?

l2ridehd
10-02-2015, 05:18 AM
Radient Barriers have been available on Villages homes for a long time as an option. My house was built in 2006 and has it. They do save energy cost. Not as much as good attic insulation, but does help.

I have been doing experiments and tests with garage insulation and have finally achieved a cooler in summer warmer in winter garage. I added 12 inches of insulation above, insulated doors, ceiling fans, and changed the lighting. Still got a few more tweaks but am almost there.

graciegirl
10-02-2015, 06:18 AM
Radient Barriers have been available on Villages homes for a long time as an option. My house was built in 2006 and has it. They do save energy cost. Not as much as good attic insulation, but does help.

I have been doing experiments and tests with garage insulation and have finally achieved a cooler in summer warmer in winter garage. I added 12 inches of insulation above, insulated doors, ceiling fans, and changed the lighting. Still got a few more tweaks but am almost there.

I am in awe of all of your DIY skills, along with your astute common sense. Was not prepared for your added artistic ability when we came to see your pool.

Please share your mosaic.

Your fans,
Gracie and family.

buzzy
10-02-2015, 07:57 AM

There are several kinds of garage door insulation materials. Would you tell us what you picked and why? Ours faces west, and the afternoon temps are in the mid 90's. Thanks

snowbird22154
10-02-2015, 11:04 AM
Do you also think the direct tv dishes on roofs and yards are an eyesore?

:BigApplause:

I too "cut the cord" with Cable and also installed "outside" antenna as I couldn't get an antenna installed in roof by Village installer so installed "outside" antenna. We got 40 channels on a "good" day but mostly 5-6 (movie/news) channels regularly. We got ours from the Antenna guy at "Marion Market" Flea Mkt. He charged $120 PLUS installation but will try and find a "better" AMPLIFIED antenna as all I want is Local News as I have Netflix which I can also get free Fox etc "stories" saving a BUNDLE. Now if "The Villages" would let "other" competition in for Internet (ATT & others) we could probably save a lot more

tuccillo
10-02-2015, 11:20 AM
If you are on the southside, there are 3 choices for internet already. It isn't clear to me that more are needed and that we would "save a lot more". Remember, infrastructure has to be installed. It isn't clear to me that other companies would want to start installing infrastructure where 3 choices already exist. North of 466A, there are 2 choices. You can also use cellphone companies for internet access, although this is not currently an optimal choice.

:BigApplause:

I too "cut the cord" with Cable and also installed "outside" antenna as I couldn't get an antenna installed in roof by Village installer so installed "outside" antenna. We got 40 channels on a "good" day but mostly 5-6 (movie/news) channels regularly. We got ours from the Antenna guy at "Marion Market" Flea Mkt. He charged $120 PLUS installation but will try and find a "better" AMPLIFIED antenna as all I want is Local News as I have Netflix which I can also get free Fox etc "stories" saving a BUNDLE. Now if "The Villages" would let "other" competition in for Internet (ATT & others) we could probably save a lot more

JerryLBell
10-02-2015, 03:15 PM
The wife and I bought a house in TV a few months ago and are renting it out until we retire and move there in a year or two. I was thinking about trying an antenna for OTA TV reception when we moved there (something I can't do where I live as I'm in a bit of a valley and the antenna tower would have to be about a hundred feet tall) but was concerned about the possibility of the antenna and tower being struck by lightning and frying my sizable investment in home theater equipment. Has the lightning protection on OTA antenna towers or mounts proven to be adequate for direct lightning strikes?

Also, it sounds like most folks aim their antennas south to pick up reception from Orlando. Are there any other stations in other directions that are within range of pickup that might make a motorized antenna worthwhile? Or are cities like Tampa, Daytona Beach, etc., just a bit too far for anything short of a tall tower and a large antenna?

elmasdaughter
10-30-2015, 11:45 AM
Who is your AV expert? I cannot get Tom from Villages AV to answer my calls.

T-325
10-30-2015, 10:06 PM
Is this foil part of the shingle or installed in the attic. i am re-roofing and wondering if the Landmark shingles or the felt has this foil backing. Nothing in the literature indicates this.

blueash
10-31-2015, 08:13 AM
I have NO idea, but would it not be possible to still do the in the attic installation by simply removing a small part of the insulation to create a signal window in the exact spot where it is needed? Obviously being completely foiled can't be a requirement or one could never install a solar tube if it were illegal to disrupt the foil.

Jima64
10-31-2015, 08:24 AM
Is this foil part of the shingle or installed in the attic. i am re-roofing and wondering if the Landmark shingles or the felt has this foil backing. Nothing in the literature indicates this.

I have to think it is not part of the shingle but put on from the attic after the roof is done.

tuccillo
10-31-2015, 09:16 AM
They may be using OSB with foil (aka radiant barrier) already attached to one side for the roof sheathing. It is installed with the foil facing the attic. Felt, peal and stick in the valleys, and shingles are installed on top of the roof sheathng.

I have to think it is not part of the shingle but put on from the attic after the roof is done.

MWR46
12-31-2015, 12:05 PM
There are a number of "outside" antennas that are smaller than the satellite dishes which are located all over. To me, the "eye sore" is the >$300 a month the crooks at the cable companies were charging me. If my antenna bothers you, feel free to pay my bill !!! :)

TNLAKEPANDA
12-31-2015, 01:01 PM
Brighthouse does NOT have contracts! You can change or cancel at any time. If you put up a digital antenna you better get a real good one to get Orlando stations.

Bavarian
12-31-2015, 03:33 PM
There are a number of "outside" antennas that are smaller than the satellite dishes which are located all over. To me, the "eye sore" is the >$300 a month the crooks at the cable companies were charging me. If my antenna bothers you, feel free to pay my bill !!! :)

Will you getting as many stations? Did you look for a package with just locals and a few Sattelite channels at a lower price. I don't pay anywhere near that much with DirecTv. Don't get all the premium channels and only when they give me a discount for a time, then cancel the package and get another bargain. Will these mini-antennas pick up 4K or only HD?

tuccillo
12-31-2015, 03:39 PM
You can pick up about 50 over-the-air stations from Orlando but a lot are Spanish and Religious stations. Nobody is transmitting 4K over-the-air yet.

Will you getting as many stations? Did you look for a package with just locals and a few Sattelite channels at a lower price. I don't pay anywhere near that much with DirecTv. Don't get all the premium channels and only when they give me a discount for a time, then cancel the package and get another bargain. Will these mini-antennas pick up 4K or only HD?

asianthree
12-31-2015, 05:15 PM

Wow $64, with net and HBO, HD. What did you get for $300?

Sable99
12-31-2015, 07:34 PM
Wow $64, with net and HBO, HD. What did you get for $300?

What company do you use? I'm keeping notes so I will be prepared when I finally get to move to my TV home!

Sable99
12-31-2015, 07:36 PM
Someone said there are three cable companies south of 466A. I know Brighthouse is there, I assume Comcast is there, but who is the third company?

KeepingItReal
12-31-2015, 08:50 PM
Someone said there are three cable companies south of 466A. I know Brighthouse is there, I assume Comcast is there, but who is the third company?

The third is Centurylink.....

inda50
01-01-2016, 10:57 AM
I wonder if this radiant barrier will decrease the life of the roof shingles. If the solar gain cannot penetrate through the roof sheathing it may concentrate the heat between the radiant barrier and the shingles. I see many dark colored shingles in TV, not the best for shingle longevity.

Wonder about this myself. Does anyone have information about this. I have thought about putting a barrier on the inside of the roof. This has been advertized in the Daily Sun from time to time

DangeloInspections
01-01-2016, 11:40 AM
Here are some helpful articles on the subject.....

Radiant Barriers: A Solution in Search of a Problem | GreenBuildingAdvisor.com (http://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com/blogs/dept/musings/radiant-barriers-solution-search-problem)
Radiant Barriers | My Florida Home Energy (http://www.myfloridahomeenergy.com/help/library/weatherization/radiant-barriers/#sthash.T3AHXMwg.dpbs)
FSEC-EN-15 (http://www.fsec.ucf.edu/en/publications/html/fsec-en-15/)
Articles about Radiant Barriers - tribunedigital-orlandosentinel (http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/keyword/radiant-barriers)
Radiant barrier insulation may not recoup cost (http://archive.azcentral.com/style/hfe/diy/articles/20120709radiant-barrier-may-not-recoup-cost.html)

So...the bottom line...is it worth it?

That is a multifaceted complex question. There are different types of radiant barriers. The fact is that they can save some energy cost. The better question is, can you recoup the cost?...especially in a new home with an R-30 insulation?
Would you be better served by installing more insulation instead perhaps up to an R-38?

Does it keep your attic cooler? Yes. As a person who crawls/walks in about 400 Villages attics every year, I do find that the attic is cooler. Is it worth the cost? What is the payback? At the risk of sounding rude, (and I am not a rude person at all), if you are 98 years old, it is pretty safe to say you will not recoup the cost. How long will you have your home? Would this upgrade be perceived as an enhancement when selling?

I have seen some radiant barriers not installed well and starting to fall. I have seen some installs that were awesome.

It is not an easy yes or no question. I'm sure this will not be the last word on the subject.

Frank

snowbird22154
01-04-2016, 09:55 PM
I too got "Fed Up" with the raising Cable Bills and I too "tried to get the Villages audio video guy to come out to install a TV antenna in the attic. He came out and told me that he could not do my attic installation due to running wires or something to that affect and would not install outside antenna. I found a $40 antenna....had it installed and now pick up 40+ channels and are "crystal" clear. Talk to the guy at "Marion Flea Mkt".... after getting one from him I found the "exact" antenna for $40. Works perfect !! :beer3:

Allegiance
01-05-2016, 08:57 AM
I too got "Fed Up" with the raising Cable Bills and I too "tried to get the Villages audio video guy to come out to install a TV antenna in the attic. He came out and told me that he could not do my attic installation due to running wires or something to that affect and would not install outside antenna. I found a $40 antenna....had it installed and now pick up 40+ channels and are "crystal" clear. Talk to the guy at "Marion Flea Mkt".... after getting one from him I found the "exact" antenna for $40. Works perfect !! :beer3:
Did you do it yourself? What is the number of the Marion flea market guy(ken?)?? Or any other recommendations for an outside antenna installer? Want to try it before I go to dish.

ladila2
05-03-2016, 06:59 AM
Hey, what's the difference between an outdoor antenna (eyesore as you put it) and a satellite antenna? They are both "an eyesore"!

justjim
05-03-2016, 07:45 AM

Just wondering.....do you get good cell phone reception. Many residents no longer have land phones.

JoMar
05-03-2016, 08:02 AM
Hey, what's the difference between an outdoor antenna (eyesore as you put it) and a satellite antenna? They are both "an eyesore"!

Agree. There are some neighborhoods that are starting to look cluttered but I attribute that to where they came from or the fact they moved here and found it's more expensive then they thought so they are starting to count pennies.

RickeyD
05-03-2016, 08:16 AM
Agree. There are some neighborhoods that are starting to look cluttered but I attribute that to where they came from or the fact they moved here and found it's more expensive then they thought so they are starting to count pennies.

I'm counting the pennies now and I haven't moved in yet. I will install an antenna inside the attic so as not to offend the non-penny counters & my wife.

HimandMe
05-03-2016, 10:33 AM
A neighbor put up a flagpole with a little flat light on the top of it. It looks a lot like those little new HD tv antennas, so I thought, hey, why don't people just put up a flag pole and no one will complain about the antenna on top as they wont even know it's there!

JoMar
05-03-2016, 05:13 PM
I'm counting the pennies now and I haven't moved in yet. I will install an antenna inside the attic so as not to offend the non-penny counters & my wife.

And I assume not in that order......:wave:

dietpepsi
05-03-2016, 06:32 PM
there is absolutely the neighbor or covanants or even the morris family can do to prevent outdoor antennas ,,, FEDERAL LAW!

JohnN
05-04-2016, 06:22 AM
I'd put the antenna up outside.