PDA

View Full Version : Zoysia Grass question

wlou
09-10-2008, 03:32 PM
Friends,
We are fairly new ( and Part Time) villagers and I have a question about our Zoysia Grass...When do we stop watering our Zoysia lawn in Florida? We reside here in VA and we all stop watering around Oct 1,here, but we have no experience with the FLA winters as it pertains to grass yet....Please advise as we are traveling down the end of this month and wonder whether to turn the irrigation off when we leave Oct 14th..Thanks!

784caroline
09-10-2008, 03:44 PM
Your Zoysia Grass still grows in Nov and part of December and then slows its rate of growth in Jan/ FEB. If you grass was recently installed I would leave my sprinklers set for once a week and you can reduce the water time if nesessary. WHen I was part time that is what I did. YOu grass will be cut once maybe twice a month in Jan and feb as opposed to every week for the other 10 months a year. If you come down in Jan/ Feb you can control your water rate manually.ie turn it on when you think you need it. Again with recently installed grass (less than a year old) I would NOT turn off my sprinklers.

JohnN
09-10-2008, 08:39 PM
I agree with 784Caroline,

you may choose to reduce the time (not the frequency, once a week) in winter, but it does grow some all year

wlou
09-11-2008, 07:27 PM
'Thanks!