PDA

View Full Version : Question for Admin

Polar Bear
10-10-2015, 07:00 PM
I recently had a post edited by a user. I don't wish to divulge any details here, because I don't suspect any malice was intended or anything like that. But at the same time, I would not expect that anybody, even admins, would be able to edit a user's post. Delete posts, yes, of course. But edit? That is a different matter altogether.

Could you somehow reply to me regarding this?

Thanks.

zcaveman
10-10-2015, 08:00 PM
If a post was edited, I believe the IP of the person that edited the post will show below it. To check this out we will need the URL of that post.

Z

jimbo2012
10-10-2015, 08:09 PM
I would not expect that anybody, even admins, would be able to edit a user's posts.

Yes they can edit, it's built into the software

Barefoot
10-10-2015, 08:14 PM
I recently had a post edited by a user. I don't wish to divulge any details here, because I don't suspect any malice was intended or anything like that. But at the same time, I would not expect that anybody, even admins, would be able to edit a user's post. Delete posts, yes, of course. But edit? That is a different matter altogether.

Are you saying that another TOTV member was able to edit a post you made?
Wouldn't that mean another member used your password to gain entry to your user ID? :confused: Perplexing.

Polar Bear
10-10-2015, 08:25 PM
Are you saying that another TOTV member was able to edit a post you made?
Wouldn't that mean another member used your password to gain entry to your user ID? :confused: Perplexing.

No. The ID of the editor was given...another ToTV user. But now the post is deleted.

(Is there a way to PM an admin?)

tomwed
10-10-2015, 08:27 PM
there must be more to the shenanigans than this

Mikeod
10-10-2015, 08:27 PM
How would they be able to edit your post? All I see are buttons to quote, multiquote, or quick reply. On my own posts I see an additional button for edit, but not on anybody else's posts. Does someone have or know your ID and password?

TOTV Team
10-10-2015, 08:31 PM
Admin/Mod could edit but do not. If you send us a link to the post we can further investigate.

Polar Bear
10-10-2015, 08:31 PM
It was done by another ToTV user. The edit was labeled with that user's ID. It was not done under my login. I know the user's name who did it.

Barefoot
10-10-2015, 08:36 PM
No. The ID of the editor was given...another ToTV user. But now the post is deleted. (Is there a way to PM an admin?) I use the little red triangle that shows in the corner of each post.

that's all I did. Tom the joker. :jester:
There must be more to the shenanigans than this

Haha, Tom, you are such a joker.
Polar Bear, are you talking about someone who referenced one of your posts and changed it? Posts that are referenced are easily edited, easy peasy, just ask Tom.

Polar Bear
10-10-2015, 08:41 PM
...Polar Bear, are you talking about someone who referenced one of your posts and changed it? Posts that are referenced are easily edited, easy peasy, just ask Tom. [/SIZE]

No. My original post was edited.

CFrance
10-10-2015, 08:41 PM
I use the little red triangle that shows in the corner of each post.

Haha, Tom, you are such a joker.
Polar Bear, are you talking about someone who referenced one of your posts and changed it? Posts that are referenced are easily edited, easy peasy, just ask Tom.
Yes, but i you did that, it wouldn't show up as being edited by another poster.

Barefoot
10-10-2015, 08:47 PM

PB, I'm sure we'll all be interested to know how that could possibly happen. :shocked:
I hope Admin or Mods will be kind enough to post their findings.

Polar Bear
10-10-2015, 09:36 PM
PB, I'm sure we'll all be interested to know how that could possibly happen. :shocked:
I hope Admin or Mods will be kind enough to post their findings.

I very much agree. I never dreamed it would be possible. I was shocked when I saw it.

I have an inquiry in to the admin team.

Fraugoofy
10-10-2015, 11:29 PM
Doesn't seem right if someone else can edit all of my posts then how will anyone know if it's really me or the imposter me? Never heard of that function on a blogging site before.

tomwed
10-11-2015, 05:47 AM
Hi this is me. And this is impasta me. Me, I'm a good speller and from the United States. But impasta me is from Italy and can't spell for fajules. That's how you can tell us apart. That's a rite.

CFrance
10-11-2015, 06:18 AM
I very much agree. I never dreamed it would be possible. I was shocked when I saw it.

I have an inquiry in to the admin team.
I hope they identify who did it, and if it was intentional, ban that poster.

graciegirl
10-11-2015, 08:18 AM
I am interested to know how this happened.

. I am sure it is troubling to all reading this. I agree that they should be banned.

golfing eagles
10-11-2015, 09:10 AM
Just so everyone knows---All the funny comments were really mine, those that flopped were from my imposter:1rotfl:

tomwed
10-11-2015, 09:14 AM
Hey Polar Bear. Don't eata the yellow snow.

tomwed
10-11-2015, 09:14 AM
Hey Polar Bear. Don't eata the yellow snow.
That wasn't me.

Bogie Shooter
10-11-2015, 09:29 AM
Thankful for the ignore button!

dbussone
10-11-2015, 09:34 AM
GG - from the very beginning I have noticed the possibility of changing someone's post. If you 'quote' a post using an iPhone it is possible to delete all or portions of the OP comment, and even replace words with your own.

Barefoot
10-11-2015, 09:38 AM
I hope they identify who did it, and if it was intentional, ban that poster.

I am interested to know how this happened.
I am sure it is troubling to all reading this. I agree that they should be banned.

Jokes aside, Polar Bear seems to have identified an unsettling problem.
Once Admin has investigated, I hope they post the results on this Thread.
:posting:

Polar Bear
10-11-2015, 09:38 AM
GG - from the very beginning I have noticed the possibility of changing someone's post. If you 'quote' a post using an iPhone it is possible to delete all or portions of the OP comment, and even replace words with your own.
Very true, db. But that's not what we're talking about. We're talking about editing someone's original post...as if it were their own.

Barefoot
10-11-2015, 09:44 AM
If you 'quote' a post using an iPhone it is possible to delete all or portions of the OP comment, and even replace words with your own.

DB, we're not talking about quoted posts, these are easily changed using any type of computer.
PB is talking about an original post.

2BNTV
10-11-2015, 11:52 AM
The only way this could be done if someone knew your I.D. and password or one left their TOTV sign-on, as permanent, and someone used your computer.

If not the above scenario's, this could be, an unsettling occurance. IMHO

I don't believe the admin's change anyone's post. The software will not allow certain words or numbers to be displayed, but never altered by the admin's.

I would like to hear if this is different, than my understanding.

Polar Bear
10-11-2015, 11:58 AM
The only way this could be done if someone knew your I.D. and password or one left their TOTV sign-on, as permanent, and someone used your computer.

If not the above scenario's, this could be, an unsettling occurance. IMHO

I don't believe the admin's change anyone's post. The software will not allow certain words or numbers to be displayed, but never altered by the admin's.

I would like to hear if this is different, than my understanding.

Definitely different. I know the user who did it. I'm simply waiting for an explanation from the admins.

Forum software can be used to give almost any privileges to administrators and moderators. I believe...I sincerely hope...that this was an isolated instance of not complying with a much-needed policy.

dbussone
10-11-2015, 12:47 PM
Very true, db. But that's not what we're talking about. We're talking about editing someone's original post...as if it were their own.

Ok. Thank you for the clarification

TOTV Team
10-11-2015, 05:20 PM
The user is moderating the golf course review sections. Any post other than a review of the golf course is removed.

Regards,

TOTV Team