PDA

View Full Version : Service Pack III

ConeyIsBabe
09-15-2008, 12:11 AM
My computer is asking me to download Windows XP/SP-III. Is that a good thing? I remember from my local computer club, when SP-II came out it had so many problems people were saying to wait. I finally downloaded it when they said it was OK.

So, now what about SP-3 ??? I haven't been attending my computer club lately so I don't know. :Screen_of_Death:

barb1191
09-15-2008, 01:06 PM
Hi CIB.....Just came across this information from a computer group in TV member who publishes, via email, a periodical re computer info. Have excerpted the following in response to your query re SP3: barb1191

Re: XP SP3

Hi Maxine,
"Since I mistakenly hit the download buttom to my Windows Update message a couple of weeks ago (which happened to be the SP3 installation update), none of my CD burning programs (Windows Media Player, Roxio, Nero, etc.) will copy audio CDs. However, I am able to burn photos and documents from my hard drive files to CDs and DVDs. None of my media software will allow me to rip music from my CDs to my hard drive either. So I called Dell (my computer is still under warranty) and after a couple of hours I was told that it's a "Windows problem" and that I will need to reinstall my XP operating system with SP3. Michael Ramesar, at MMD, also told me the same thing. I tried removing SP3, but once it is installed and messes up the system it doesn't do any good to remove it.

Another problem I have encountered since installing SP3, is that I am no longer able to copy and paste documents from Internet Explorer into MS Word documents. After highlighting the document to be copied and hitting Copy, and then clicking Paste on the MS Word, I receive the following message "There is insufficient memory or disk space. Close extra windows and save your work." This happens when there are no other windows open and even with paragraph sized documents.

Bottom line, don't install SP3 when your computer is operating satisfactorily. I believe you delivered this same message about a year ago. I actually didn't intend to, but I guess I got tired of SP3 always being included in the Windows automatic update notices of late and carelessly caused its installation." Bill Thuemmel

ConeyIsBabe
09-15-2008, 03:55 PM
barb1191...... THANK YOU for taking the time to respond to my question. I had a feeling that it's like.......... "if it ain't broke - don't fix it". So, I'll just continue to ignore my computer flashing me to update windows for SP-III until they perfect it (if ever).

I'm using an antique computer - an old HP that I purchased as a closeout in 2001 and it serves my needs. If it ever croaks I'll just buy a new fancy laptop with all the new bells & whistles and then I'll have to learn VISTA :shocked:

Thanks again for your help!

784caroline
09-16-2008, 12:47 PM
I downloaded SP III on 2 computers and have had no problems!

inda50
09-16-2008, 04:20 PM
I downloaded SP III and have had no problems yet after a week??

njgrann
09-16-2008, 06:10 PM
The service pack won't let me install it. I've tried a couple different "fixes" from the internet and then decided the heck with it.

zcaveman
09-16-2008, 09:34 PM
I installed SP3 on 2 PCS following guidelines from the internet and email notifications.

Before you start, make sure you do:

Chkdsk
Defrag
Backup all data

When you are ready to install:

Turn off any anti virus program (this is important!!)
Do download
Do install
Watch for prompts and reply.
Reboot
Watch for prompts and reply
Do another MS update and install any other fixes.
Reboot
Do another MS update and check the history to make sure all installed.
Go to Settings and go to Maintenance update option and verify that SP3 is installed.