PDA

View Full Version : Driving Golf Carts

cmj
09-15-2008, 06:23 PM
:icon_wink:Just a few hints about driving golf carts: Those white posts with s-t-o-p on them mean you are to stop. All four wheels are to stop. The big red sign that says S-T-O-P means the same thing. Look both directions to make sure everything's clear before accelerating again. That stick about an inch from the left side of your steering wheel? All you have to do is move your fingers about 1/2" and your turn signals will come on. Turn signals allow people behind you to know that you intend to go left or right. They let people coming toward you know the same information. Cars and trucks weigh more than golf carts. Golf carts should yield to cars and trucks. Keep all body parts inside of your cart. This includes the driver's left knee. Don't let kids under 14 drive your cart. Even if your child is special or wants to do so, it's against the law. Even if you're just taking a spin around the block. Try not to drive so fast that you take corners in the middle of the golf cart path. Please notice pedestrians. Try not to aim for them. It's not funny. Finally, if you've been drinking at one of the squares for a few hours it isn't a good idea to operate a car or a golf cart. The police don't like it and neither will the person you hit or run off of the path. :icon_wink:

zcaveman
09-15-2008, 09:11 PM
Everything you say is true!! Either you had a bad situation or are you trying to warn everyone.

Either way I hope someone heeds the messages you posted.

redwitch
09-15-2008, 09:26 PM
Great post. Wish those who think they have exemptions from these rules would understand THEY DON'T!

And, don't forget that yield doesn't mean you have the right of way. It means you STOP if another cart is coming from around the corner or wherever. Yes, the yield signs are small for golf carts, but they are visible.

nitestars
12-30-2008, 08:14 AM
Thank you so much for reminding all of this problem. It is one of the things that get under my skin....golf cart traffic and the drivers who think they are exempt from traffic rules. :eclipsee_gold_cup:

mac9
12-30-2008, 01:04 PM
My favorite is grandpa in the driver's seat of the golf cart holding the 2 year old who is doing the steering! I saw this last night (as in after dark) while driving south on Canal Street!

littlekat5
12-30-2008, 02:17 PM
Grandparents + golf carts + grkids = potential disaster.
Why would these intelligent adults who would never let their own kids under age drive a golf cart think it is OK for the Grkiddies to be turned loose with Papas toy. You would think the rules ( please read them) are not made for the Villagers with the oh so sweet kiddies. Before they ruin your financial future with an accident, get them OUT of the drivers side, Please, Please.

English Ivy
12-31-2008, 01:42 PM
Thought this was such a great post that I wanted to bump it up so more readers will hopefully see it.

Mac9, I saw that grandpa and toddler yesterday in the Sweet Bay parking lot. A little one sitting on his lap "steering" while he holds the kid with one hand and also steers with the other. The cart was full of bags so I assume they were heading home. Two women were also on the cart. Probably mom and grandma. I can't believe people do this. Would they do this behind the wheel of their car? Don't think so!

While we're on the subject of driving, here's the link to the Sumter County Roundabout Brochure which details how we're supposed to navigate the roundabouts specifically in Sumter County. It's informative and well done. Made me understand better what lane I should be in under different driving circumstances.

http://www.districtgov.org/images/WhatsNew/RoundaboutBrochure%20-%20FINAL070908.pdf

If the link doesn't work, you can view this through the www.districtgov.org website.

You may have to paste the links into your browser to open.

Happy New Year to all! :coolsmiley:

spk7951
12-31-2008, 04:54 PM
Since we moved here in July we have seen some astounding things in golf carts. From 7 adults & children in a 4 passenger cart to 3 adults with a baby on the floor, in a car seat, of a 2 passenger cart. What are some of these people thinking???

The Great Fumar
12-31-2008, 05:08 PM
While returning to chatham in my cart an alledged lady in a gas cart zipped around me after we had crossed the entry street at glenview heading north. She could not see if anything was coming as their was a white fence to the immeadiate left and front of us ,,,Had anyone been coming it would have been a HEAD ON ..........You don't have to be smart to live in the Villages

close call Fumar............:cus:

bargee
12-31-2008, 05:12 PM
I know that Florida rules state that 14 year olds are allowed to operate Golf Carts on golf cart paths.I am just wondering if your insurance would cover an unlicensed driver involved in an at fault accident on a public roadway?I myself don't want to lose what little I have because Junior wants to go joyriding.

blueeagle65
01-01-2009, 07:40 PM
You must be psychic cmj because you read my mind, too - only you phrased everything more diplomatic than I would have :agree:

r gish
01-07-2009, 08:41 AM
My question is - What in tarnation is everyone in such a hurry to get to? FL law states that golf carts are not to travel faster than 19.2 MPH....in TV yeah right! Also, the fine if you are caught speeding is the same as a car...plus you get cited for operating a motor vehicle without a license.

Think about it....and SLOW down

sandybill2
01-07-2009, 09:59 AM
The police are "policing" the speed of golf carts. On Monday, they were using their radar gun on Buena Vista just south of Palmer Legends--alternating pointing it at cars on the street and Golf Carts on the Golf Cart Trail. I think the ticket a "speeding" cart receives is driving an unlicensed AND uninsured vehicle.

starflyte1
01-07-2009, 10:30 AM
I might not understand what is going on, but I have a problem with getting a ticket for driving an uninsured vehicle and unlicensed vehicle. Does that apply even if it is insured with your home policy? The speeding ticket yes, but the others no. Either the cars are legal in TV or they aren't. If they aren't legal, they should ticket everyone, but that is not what TV is about. Something is not making sense, at least to me.

sandybill2
01-07-2009, 11:25 AM
As far as the "uninsured part" is concerned. If your cart goes over the MAXIMUM cart speed of 19-1/2 mph--you have to have a state Florida "tag" which makes the cart a licensed "street" vehicle--therefore, your insurance has to state that--it cannot be just golf cart insurance. If your cart is "legal" and only goes up to 19-1/2 mph, you do not need a "tag" and golf cart insurance is adequate.

starflyte1
01-07-2009, 11:51 AM
Thanks, Sandybill2.

golfnut
01-07-2009, 08:42 PM
english, thanks for the link to the info on driving in the roundabouts, should clear up a lot of questions I've seen here on what and what not to do in them.

r gish
01-08-2009, 07:03 AM
one thing that I don't understand....those carts that are "taged" you've seen them...driving on the cart paths. If they are licensed motor vehicles (GEMS come to mind) then they shouldn't be on the cart paths....that is the making of a disaster........

Barefoot
01-08-2009, 07:11 AM
Saw a boy, about five years old, driving a golf cart today. His granny was a passenger. Unbelievable.

r gish
01-08-2009, 07:15 AM
See it all the time....truly unbelievable...

dillywho
01-08-2009, 09:17 AM
Please also remind golf cart operators to merge in with the traffic when making left turns and to not turn out of the golf cart lane across traffic. By the way, gas carts are not always the ones going too fast, either. Most times when we get passed, it is by an electric cart. Our cart is set to 19.6 mph, so I know theirs has to be going much faster than that. Having an electric cart does not automatically make them better operators.

r gish
01-08-2009, 09:21 AM
Agree with that....

SteveFromNY
01-09-2009, 02:51 PM
one thing that I don't understand....those carts that are "taged" you've seen them...driving on the cart paths. If they are licensed motor vehicles (GEMS come to mind) then they shouldn't be on the cart paths....that is the making of a disaster........

I think if a cart is "street legal", it should be in the street. I agree with you.