PDA

View Full Version : Internet on tv

lpkshop
11-01-2015, 11:27 AM
I have an old TV that I was using to watch Netflix and Amazon prime through the Wii. My Wii just died, what would you recommend. I read the thread about Roku but that didn't sound like it would be good for watching movies. suggestions?

Bosoxfan
11-01-2015, 12:10 PM
Buy a smart tv

Arctic Fox
11-01-2015, 12:49 PM
I have an old TV that I was using to watch Netflix and Amazon prime through the Wii. My Wii just died, what would you recommend. I read the thread about Roku but that didn't sound like it would be good for watching movies. suggestions?

Most devices that plug in to a TV, and even smart TVs themselves, are very limited as to what they can do, and clunky to use.

However, it is very easy to connect a computer to your TV (especially if it has a VGA socket). You can then access the whole internet on your TV using the familiar mouse and keyboard.

CDs and DVDs can be played through the computer, or ripped on to the hard drive (for archival purposes of your disks only, of course).

gap2415
11-01-2015, 01:03 PM

You can purchase Roku online or at Best Buy, SAMs for $39 to $99. It is easy plug and play. You plug it into your HDMI slot. Take your TV remote and click input to find it. You log in your internet code and you are off....up to 3000 channels, many, many free. We mainly use, Acorn - free British movies and series, Crackle, Amazon Prime, Netflix . We also have an antenna and get all the local channels but I think we can get them on Roku too using Sling but, once installed $200, the antenna has no contract, no fees and Sling is $20 a month.

As we said to Mikey....try it, you'll like it! And btw, smart tvs offer less than what we get with Roku but our tv is a smart tv anyway.

Allegiance
11-01-2015, 01:57 PM
You will need a tv that has an hdmi, if it does, get the amazon fire tv, then Google how to install kodi. Kodi will give you everything! Free. You can also buy devices preloaded with kodi on Amazon.