PDA

View Full Version : Airplane Crash takes a friend

Carl in Tampa
11-10-2015, 04:55 PM
On Monday of this week a twin engine fixed wing aircraft left the Lakeland Linder Airport enroute Cairo, Georgia. The owner/pilot was a Tampa attorney, Gary Odom; the co-pilot was a retired Hillsborough County (Tampa) Sheriff's Office Deputy Sheriff, Lester Hathcox. About an hour after departure the airplane disappeared from the FAA radar, and subsequently the crashed airplane was found in Georgia. There were no survivors.

Lester was a pilot serving in the HCSO Aviation Unit for eighteen years after initially performing more routine law enforcement duties. He was a senior helicopter pilot and a qualified flight instructor. He was highly respected and well liked by his associates, me among them. In retirement he continued in flying, piloting the Channel 8 TV news helicopter in Tampa, and flying for others, including the Tampa attorney.

While still flying for the Sheriff's Office, Lester was in a helicopter which lost power and crashed in a mangrove swamp on the edge of Tampa Bay. His injuries were minor.

After retiring, Lester often came by the Aviation Unit Hangar at Tampa Executive airport to visit and maintain old friendships. He will be sorely missed by all of us.

Villageswimmer
11-10-2015, 04:58 PM
Sorry for your loss, Carl.

Taltarzac725
11-10-2015, 04:59 PM
On Monday of this week a twin engine fixed wing aircraft left the Lakeland Linder Airport enroute Cairo, Georgia. The owner/pilot was a Tampa attorney, Gary Odom; the co-pilot was a retired Hillsborough County (Tampa) Sheriff's Office Deputy Sheriff, Lester Hathcox. About an hour after departure the airplane disappeared from the FAA radar, and subsequently the crashed airplane was found in Georgia. There were no survivors.

Lester was a pilot serving in the HCSO Aviation Unit for eighteen years after initially performing more routine law enforcement duties. He was a senior helicopter pilot and a qualified flight instructor. He was highly respected and well liked by his associates, me among them. In retirement he continued in flying, piloting the Channel 8 TV news helicopter in Tampa, and flying for others, including the Tampa attorney.

While still flying for the Sheriff's Office, Lester was in a helicopter which lost power and crashed in a mangrove swamp on the edge of Tampa Bay. His injuries were minor.

After retiring, Lester often came by the Aviation Unit Hangar at Tampa Executive airport to visit and maintain old friendships. He will be sorely missed by all of us.

Sorry for the loss of your friend.

onslowe
11-10-2015, 05:00 PM
Very sorry for your loss, and my prayers will include both families.

Justus
11-10-2015, 05:04 PM
Please accept our heartfelt condolences, Carl. To have been so esteemed by one such as you, he must have been one heck of a good, decent human being. May he rest in peace.

Ecuadog
11-10-2015, 08:02 PM
Thoughts and prayers for their families and friends. RIP.

pooh
11-10-2015, 08:40 PM
My condolences, Carl. Prayers for peace and comfort offered for their families and friends.

kcrazorbackfan
11-10-2015, 08:47 PM
There but for the grace of God go I; in a C172 crash during landing back in 1985. So sorry for the loss of your friend.

twoplanekid
11-10-2015, 10:10 PM
I have lost several good friends to aircraft crashes. I know your feeling of loss and will pray for their families and friends. As a pilot, I would also say as kcrazorbackfan stated “There but for the grace of God go I”

CFrance
11-10-2015, 10:19 PM
So sorry, Carl. Their families are in my prayers.

kittygilchrist
11-10-2015, 10:31 PM
God help all who knew him..

rubicon
11-11-2015, 05:30 AM
Carl you describe a man who had a fulfilling and interesting life devoted to serving others.

Personal Best Regards: