PDA

View Full Version : What cart to buy?

Bernaldio
11-13-2015, 12:41 PM
Moving in this Spring...what kind of a cart should I buy and where. Thanks for your suggestions.

jchase
11-13-2015, 01:12 PM
Yamaha gas!��

jebartle
11-13-2015, 01:16 PM
my neighbor has a great looking golf cart that he must sell since he sold his home. He is asking $2000.

jebartle
11-13-2015, 01:21 PM
Yellow Golf Cart For Sale

Mileage: Year 2007
Street (optional): 117 Chula Vista Ave.
City (optional): Lady Lake
Zip/Postal Code (optional): 32159
Listed: November 11, 2015 3:03 pm
Expires: 29 days, 1 hour

DSCF4772

Description

2007 EZGO golf cart for sale. Batteries replaced 9/2015 and has been well taken care of. Reason for selling is that we are moving. Phone 352-259-1383 or 352-205-6745 Price: First $2000 gets a new ride.

REDCART
11-13-2015, 01:51 PM
Your question has been asked and answered many times on TOTV over the years. You will no doubt receive several recommendations for best electric and best gas i.e. EZGO electric and Yamaha gas, based on people's personal experience with a particular brand. You might be better served by asking "What carts should I avoid?" i.e. Star because it's made in China and made cheaply--as an example. Then too, maybe the Star because of its price point will meet your needs. Good luck.

village dreamer
11-13-2015, 02:17 PM
rent one of each , ele-gas.:boom:

tomwed
11-13-2015, 02:45 PM
A pull cart---walking is good exercise.

jojo
11-13-2015, 06:52 PM
Your question has been asked and answered many times on TOTV over the years. You will no doubt receive several recommendations for best electric and best gas i.e. EZGO electric and Yamaha gas, based on people's personal experience with a particular brand. You might be better served by asking "What carts should I avoid?" i.e. Star because it's made in China and made cheaply--as an example. Then too, maybe the Star because of its price point will meet your needs. Good luck.

We have had a Star cart for 6 years without one single problem. We have had an annual service. I think it is well made and believe it is assembled in Greenville SC. The convertible back seat is a unique and significant feature. We like the cart so well we are upgrading the seat etc. I also know several folks who like their Star carts.

MikeV
11-13-2015, 10:23 PM
Depends on where you will live. We would have bought an electric but we live south of 466A and I was worried about traveling "up North" in TV and having enough juice to get home after a day of running around. We bought a Yamaha Gas from Carts and Clubs in Ocala and we are happy with it.

Kahuna32162
11-14-2015, 11:32 AM
If you don't want gas, Lithium Ion power cells are now available. They have increased the range on my electric cart by over 100 miles per charge!

justjim
11-14-2015, 12:13 PM
After shopping around and driving several carts, we purchased our golf Cart from Discount Golf Carts on 466 (half mile east of Morse Blvd on 466). We purchased a Yamaha Gas EFI because we live south of 466A. A golf cart is a major purchase and I would highly recommend that you shop around for price and drive various models before making a firm decision. Good luck.

Barefoot
11-14-2015, 01:24 PM
If you don't want gas, Lithium Ion power cells are now available. They have increased the range on my electric cart by over 100 miles per charge!
How much do the batteries cost? Do you know if they're available from Battery Boys?
Sounds like a great idea for those of us that find gas carts noisy and smelly.

Arctic Fox
11-14-2015, 01:35 PM
Moving in this Spring...what kind of a cart should I buy and where. Thanks for your suggestions.

There is usually a good selection of used carts for sale at that time of year - all makes; gas and electric - so test-drive a few before buying

rubicon
11-14-2015, 01:48 PM
The OP asked what cart to buy? does the OP mean type or model???

The OP should first consider use of his/her cart. Is it just for golf or for continuous travel throughout The Villages.

I had an electric cart for many years but decided to switch to a gas cart.

While I hate the noise producing engine of a gas cart I find that I can maintain a steady average mph with gas that is not attainable with an electric cart especially after the batteries age a bit. I also find I am willing to travel anywhere in The Villages because my gas gauge is always kept at full.

The lithium batteries when I priced them over the internet went from $2,000 to $4,000 depending on what you were buying and from whom

Back to gas carts. I was told that owners of gas operated Club Cars complained that too much heat traveled to the seats. They may have corrected that problem. I have not noticed that problem with my Yamaha.

Good luck

JoMar
11-14-2015, 02:23 PM
We have two electric carts, one ParCar and one Star. Before we moved here we rented for the last 4 years and the carts that came with the houses were gas so we had some experience with gas before we bought the electrics. I live south of 466A and have driven 61 miles in the ParCar and 55 in Star with one charge in one day including using the headlights . The electric myth of short range was true a couple years ago so if you are looking to buy used, depending on the age you buy there might be some truth to that. The current crop of electric technology carts do not have that restriction IF you plug them into the wall each night and make sure the batteries are topped off. They have auto fill systems so that is easy, we do it once a month. Speed is not an issue, both our carts easily maintain 20MPH. They are quiet, don't require monthly trips to the gas station, don't smell and don't have engine "parts" to deal with. There was a time that the only thing you could buy from The Villages Golf Carts was gas, now they sell electrics, You very seldom saw electrics on the MMP's, now they are pretty common. A previous poster gave you good advice, get here and rent both, talk to a bunch of users and go visit the dealers. Then make a choice and get what works for you. When talking to the users, remember that nobody wants to admit they should have bought something else, so the gas folks and electric folks will have their bias's and neither will accept any responsibility or accountability if you take their advice.....including me :)

Hank N Judy
11-14-2015, 04:55 PM
jomaar I couldn't have said it better myself. The only thing I would add is to make sure the cart you buy has 8 batteries. Love my Par Car.

Barefoot
11-14-2015, 05:13 PM
We have two electric carts, one ParCar and one Star. Before we moved here we rented for the last 4 years and the carts that came with the houses were gas so we had some experience with gas before we bought the electrics. I live south of 466A and have driven 61 miles in the ParCar and 55 in Star with one charge in one day including using the headlights . The electric myth of short range was true a couple years ago so if you are looking to buy used, depending on the age you buy there might be some truth to that. The current crop of electric technology carts do not have that restriction IF you plug them into the wall each night and make sure the batteries are topped off. They have auto fill systems so that is easy, we do it once a month. Speed is not an issue, both our carts easily maintain 20MPH. They are quiet, don't require monthly trips to the gas station, don't smell and don't have engine "parts" to deal with. There was a time that the only thing you could buy from The Villages Golf Carts was gas, now they sell electrics, You very seldom saw electrics on the MMP's, now they are pretty common. A previous poster gave you good advice, get here and rent both, talk to a bunch of users and go visit the dealers. Then make a choice and get what works for you. When talking to the users, remember that nobody wants to admit they should have bought something else, so the gas folks and electric folks will have their bias's and neither will accept any responsibility or accountability if you take their advice.....including me :)

I also much prefer electric carts. I had a Columbia Par Car for seven years and never ran out of battery. Never had a "tune up" which gas carts seem to need. Par Cars have on board chargers.

I love electric carts because they aren't noisy or smelly. When I bought my Yesteryear golfcart, I bought electric. It also has great range.

Jody Fisher
11-16-2015, 06:16 AM
Based on my personal experience of buying a brand-new electric Club Car last December, I would NOT recommend that brand, because it does not go the maximum speed of 20 MPH. 20 MPH is the LEGAL speed limit for a non-street legal golf cart, but the Club Car comes from the factory at 19.2 MPH. I purchased my cart from Golf Cart World & I neglected to ask them how fast it went. Very, very disappointed.

bpayne
11-16-2015, 06:24 AM
I did my analysis and concluded the Star cart offered the most cart for the money. It had problems a number of years ago but seems to be quite good and reliable the last several years. Every owner I have spoken with has been very pleased. The dealer is on 466 just east of Rolling Acres road.

RickeyD
11-16-2015, 06:35 AM
Based on my personal experience of buying a brand-new electric Club Car last December, I would NOT recommend that brand, because it does not go the maximum speed of 20 MPH. 20 MPH is the LEGAL speed limit for a non-street legal golf cart, but the Club Car comes from the factory at 19.2 MPH. I purchased my cart from Golf Cart World & I neglected to ask them how fast it went. Very, very disappointed.

Be grateful that you're limited to 96% of the legal speed limit. That additional 4% is a safe margin for error and safety. Besides, what's the rush ?

burky
11-16-2015, 07:25 AM
Having tried both gas and electric, we have found the electric to be vastly better for the following reasons...
1. It is wonderfully quiet.
2. It leaves no smell/stink behind as every gas cart I have driven does.
3. Much smoother in its operation. Even though the cas engines do a reasonably good job of starting, they still have a "kick in" moment that adds a little jerk to the motion.
4. You never have to make an inconvenient trip to a gas station, or store gasoline in your garage.
5. You never have to horse around with oil changes, or carburetor issues.

As to range, Lithium-ion batteries can produce stunning results but at a pretty steep initial price. A reasonable alternative is an AC Electric, which has a 50-60 mile range. We have a Yahama, and love it. Driving from the Spanish Springs town square area to the Lake Sumpter town square and back uses 30-40% of battery capacity. Plenty of reserve to also run around on.

The AC electric also has a substantially more powerful motor than most carts, resulting in smooth hill climbing with no loss in speed. For instance going over the 441/27 golf car bridge (which is pretty steep) results in a smooth and consistent speed with no noticeable variation.

All said, I like the suggestion above posted to rent different golf cars for a week each and see what feels right for you. [:-)}

Pmount
11-16-2015, 07:35 AM
I just purchased a gas Yamaha FI from Brownwood. We drove them all and my wife did not like the more upright floor board on the Club Car vs Yamaha. She said the Yamaha was more comfortable for her and her foot position. The Subaru engine seemed nice but the Club Car seemed to rattle more than the Yamaha. Was worried about the range of electric but many seem very happy with them. Love my new cart all things considered.

jtdraig
11-16-2015, 07:44 AM

The type of cart you buy will depend on what you do. For example, if you use your cart only to play golf and only an occasional trip, you can buy a used yamaha (recommend gas) cart. If you are going to make more frequent use of your cart, buy a new fuel-injected yamaha. Obviously, I prefer gas carts to electric and you will find people who are as passionate about electric. I just think that you get more utilization and less expense with a gas cart providing you maintain it. If you go electric, look at PAR cars. In any event, :welcome:

jchase
11-16-2015, 09:00 AM
I've had both Club Car Electric and Yamaha Gas. Yamaha Gas is the way to go.��

OhioBuckeye
11-16-2015, 09:14 AM
Yamaha gas, but there's Pro's & Con's to both. I bought a new gas Yamaha when I moved here permanently in 2012. Yamaha is the most popular cart but they're also the most expensive. Mine isn't nothing fancy but I paid well over $10,000. for mine & it's not fancy. Shop around a little but definitely buy a gas cart. Electric Cart batteries will cost you close to $1,000. every 5 yr's or so!

Sable99
11-16-2015, 09:15 AM
Good information. I haven't bought my cart yet but I've always leaned toward the Yamaha Gas. I didn't want to mess with all the batteries on an electric cart. Okay I admit it, the only thing I know about my Flex is where the gas goes!

twiceis
11-16-2015, 09:33 AM
We recommend a Star electric cart. Quiet, no smell of gas, self filling batteries and it goes for miles (we live in Gilchrist & go to the far north sections, Walmart etc with plenty of battery left. The Villages promote gas but electric is far more pleasant to drive.

tomwed
11-16-2015, 09:36 AM
Electric Cart batteries will cost you close to $1,000. every 5 yr's or so!
I thought they needed to be replaced every 3 years. If you own electric tell the OP how long your batteries lasted.

At 5 years between the money you save on gas and the $1,000 for batteries it sounds like total cost of ownership is the same.

genobambino
11-16-2015, 09:49 AM
EzGo electric. The only electric with the a/c motor..We live close to 466A and go from Seabreeze to Spanish Springs to Brownwood and back with no problem. Just look under the front at the suspension and compare to the other carts, the EzGo is a lot better made...They should outlaw the gas carts they pollute the air, just smell the fumes the next time your in one of the tunnels..

LarryB
11-16-2015, 11:00 AM
If you plan on going from one side of TV to the other and playing 18 holes of golf, don't get an electric cart. It might get you there and back the first year or so but after that your batteries become weaker and won't do what they did when the cart was new. If you're not a golfer and don't plan on going large distances without charging, an electric cart is great because there is very little maintenance ( plug it in, fill the batteries once a week and a yearly checkup).
Gas carts are great for golfers, or anyone, planning to travel larger distances, clime hills much better than electric and are very reliable. However, there is more maintenance e.g. oil changes trips to the gas station, etc.
All carts are not created equal however. Some are more noisy, some have better pickup, some are more comfortable.
I'd suggest you go to several dealers and also to some of the re-builders and try driving a variety of them.
My best suggestion however would be to get COMFORTABLE seats in whatever cart you buy. You will never be sorry you spent a little more on a cart for a comfortable seat (some are adjustable).
I wish I had had someone give me this info before I bought mine when I moved here.
Hope that helps. :welcome:

Barefoot
11-16-2015, 11:18 AM
Having tried both gas and electric, we have found the electric to be vastly better for the following reasons...
1. It is wonderfully quiet.
2. It leaves no smell/stink behind as every gas cart I have driven does.
3. Much smoother in its operation. Even though the cas engines do a reasonably good job of starting, they still have a "kick in" moment that adds a little jerk to the motion.
4. You never have to make an inconvenient trip to a gas station, or store gasoline in your garage.
5. You never have to horse around with oil changes, or carburetor issues.

We recommend a Star electric cart. Quiet, no smell of gas, self filling batteries and it goes for miles (we live in Gilchrist & go to the far north sections, Walmart etc with plenty of battery left. The Villages promote gas but electric is far more pleasant to drive.

I think there are a lot of misunderstandings about the range of electric carts, so thanks for your input.
As you mentioned, electric carts are quiet with no smell.

ajbrown
11-16-2015, 12:41 PM
How long will my batteries last? I budget for 3-4 years.

My last battery pack lasted 5.5 years. That statement means nothing unless you know about:

my battery configuration,
how I used my cart
how I maintained my pack

I can answer those questions:

8-6 volt Trojan T105s
I cannot quantify this, so no facts here to help, but I never (except once) discharge the pack to less than 50% SOC
I do the best I can. Keep them charged, watered, clean...

Some experiences that may help…

I did some testing when the batteries in my cart were two years old:

driving 22 - 26 miles left the cart at 75% SOC
driving 45 - 50 miles left the cart at 50% SOC

your mileage likely will vary based on your three answers above
mileage will decrease with age to some degree which I have not measured (this test was with two year old batteries).

On that same trip, I took the cart 63 miles with an ending voltage of 47.6 (A bit less than 40% SOC) Do not do this routinely (see pretty picture below for my test runs).

Looking at a couple of cycles versus discharge charts (One cycle means, taking the cart out for a ride to discharge, then fully charging)

Looking at some charts on the Internet (google “cycles vs depth of discharge images”):

If you discharge the cart:

20% SOC EVERY time you use it, you should expect 2000 to 3000 cycles
50% SOC EVERY time you use it you should expect 1000 to 1300 cycles

As you can see there is quite a difference in the charts <lol>. My gut feel is that even the lower numbers are optimistic but I have no way to prove that. I have never attempted to track the discharge SOC versus cycles of my carts and have no intention on starting.

We have two ELECTRIC golf carts, which makes over usage a non-issue. Living in Mallory also has its advantages as far as distance to things. No matter where I lived in TV MY CHOICE would be electric and I would not have an issue with range.

If none of what I am trying to convey makes any sense, I suggest taking the good advice already provided by some electric owners or get a gas cart :1rotfl:

http://i1002.photobucket.com/albums/af146/ajbrown2007/totv/DSC_0389.jpg (http://s1002.photobucket.com/user/ajbrown2007/media/totv/DSC_0389.jpg.html)

ltcinf
11-16-2015, 12:49 PM

I started out with a Club Car gas. After a few weeks, I hated the noise and the fumes. I traded it in for a 2015 Par Car electric which is made in America (Ohio). I have no problem getting to and from everywhere I want to go on a single charge. It gets up to 80 miles to a charge and I don't worry about gassing up all the time. Besides it's much more environmentally friendly, quiet, and I can now talk to my wife without shouting. Easily plugs in in the garage every night. With a 19 horsepower electric motor, the car excellerates much faster than my previous gas model. Replacing the batteries every five years or so is still cheaper than all the gas usage and oil changes. Check it out.

daveac83
11-16-2015, 02:11 PM
Get an EZ-Go electric with large tires and six battery pack. Forget gas. They are noisy, smelly, and they pollute the environment. Wouldn't want one of those in "Florida's Healthiest Home Town"! David

toeser
11-16-2015, 02:55 PM
Electric carts are quiet and don't smell. Their batteries will degrade over time, and depending on your type of use, you may have to change them with a lot of life left. Older carts have very inefficient lighting that draws too much power at night. Electric carts allow you to sneak up on bike riders and pedestrians.

Gas carts are noisy and smell. They have a lot of range. You can't sneak up on people. I bought a gas cart (Yamaha).

If you have any sense of adventure, checkout CraigsList (Ocala site). They always have a ton available.

RickeyD
11-16-2015, 03:08 PM
If a gas cart stinks up a tunnel with no one there to smell it, does it really smell at all ? Dunno, but the competition rages on.

THUNDERCHIEF
11-21-2015, 03:22 PM
moving in this spring...what kind of a cart should i buy and where. Thanks for your suggestions.

village golf carts in colony plaza is great, and also brownwood. Buy gas , if you go on long rides to play golf etc. Electric may die on the trail a gas cart will run for a long time before it needs fuel

i would buy yamaha, or ez-go carts are cheaper outside the villages, but service may be an issue, if you need it.
Village carts has many used carts that could save you hundreds of bucks, its your call

Barefoot
11-21-2015, 04:17 PM
If a gas cart stinks up a tunnel with no one there to smell it, does it really smell at all ? Dunno, but the competition rages on. The smell from a gas cart lingers in the tunnel and waits for the next electric cart owner to go pheeeeeeeeew. :throwtomatoes:

dadspet
11-21-2015, 05:16 PM
Let me add my 2 cents. As you can tell I'm partial to electric since my wife and I can't stand the jerking, noise and smell of gas cart fumes, especially in tunnels. I think the Government should require pollution testing on gas carts and perhaps the Surgeon General make a statement on the safety of sucking in the awful fumes from those carts. Oh I almost forgot how about a statement on what the constant jerking when starting does to your body and perhaps the effect of the exhaust noise on your hearing while their at it. If you drive a Model A Ford then none of this should bother you and a gas cart is probably a reasonable decision.

A few more hopefully constructive thoughts:

My Club Cart Precedent cart has 4 x 12V batteries and I can travel longer then I want to go in a golf cart. Going from Brownwood to the Polo Fields and playing 8 holes of golf and coming back at night isn't a issue. Do I want to go all the way to the Northern Territories golf courses from Brownwood - no but I wouldn't want to do it even If I had a gas cart - its just too far and long at 20 mph.

Last I checked my 4x12V batteries were under $700 not $1000 but then again they probably won't last 5 yrs either? I've just started to use a battery saver that de sulfites the batteries and hoping it will get me to 5 yrs. I've used one on our Jet Ski battery that I had to replace every year or 2 and its been very effective in extending the life of that battery.
I have heard that 6 x 8V configuration gives better millage but the Electrical Engineer in me likes less cables and connectors that could give problems. I think the 6x8v config has more lead so more amp hrs.

As far as top speed, a standard electric cart will only go about 19.6 mph but without the AC motor, in EZ Go carts, going up hills wasn't fun and I had ours upgraded for about $550 and now get a few mph more when I need it. Now I don't have to get out and push the cart up hills (that's a joke but close to true) and can use the little extra power to keep up with traffic and help me in some situations.

Wish Lithium batteries weren't as expensive if anyone knows of a cheap source let us know - hopefully I won't need them for a few more years.

The biggest issue with our cart is the head lights are very dim at light and driving at night into upcoming carts that have replaced their headlights with something brighter, but not aligned to the road, blinds us and make seeing even worst. You don't think it has anything to do with our "not so young eyes" do you?

Oh if you happen to see me stopped along side the road some day in the future - out of battery, please don't drive by and yell >> We told you so - get a Gas cart. Offer to help us out at our age we can't walk too far any more. I'll buy you a beer, soda, wine. BTW we have seen gas carts stopped out of gas.
:D

Gerald
11-21-2015, 05:53 PM
It really is simple. You need to buy a gas model. The village is still growing and many have already had problems on Electric carts due to the driving distances.

There are many models to choose from. Lots of places to buy then from new and old, in and out, of the villages. You will need to go to several places to decide what you want.

JoMar
11-21-2015, 07:20 PM
It really is simple. You need to buy a gas model. The village is still growing and many have already had problems on Electric carts due to the driving distances.

There are many models to choose from. Lots of places to buy then from new and old, in and out, of the villages. You will need to go to several places to decide what you want.

I agree that distance might be limited if you buy an older electric cart....but if you buy new distance isn't an issue. The statement that many have had problems without data can be ignored. 55 to 60 miles is easy. Rohan to Spanish Springs is about 15 miles so round trip is 30 with at least 1 couple 18 hole courses to spare. We have a Star and ParCar and have never had an issue. People tend to exaggerate the perceptions on here but Orlando is 57 miles from The Villages (Google Maps). How many people do you really believe drive that distance daily on here. Gas is so yesterday and more and more Villagers are learning that...which is why you can now buy an electric cart from The Villages Golf Carts.....even they can see the trend.

Learn and understand the facts, talk to actual owners of both, rent both and then choose what works for your personal situation. Only you know what that is.

Barefoot
11-21-2015, 11:18 PM
You need to buy a gas model. The village is still growing and many have already had problems on Electric carts due to the driving distances.

I agree that distance might be limited if you buy an older electric cart....but if you buy new distance isn't an issue. The statement that many have had problems without data can be ignored. 55 to 60 miles is easy........ Gas is so yesterday and more and more Villagers are learning that...which is why you can now buy an electric cart from The Villages Golf Carts.....even they can see the trend.

I agree with JoMar, "gas is so yesterday". Our experience with electric has been similar.

HoosierPa
12-29-2015, 10:41 AM
How long will my batteries last? I budget for 3-4 years.

My last battery pack lasted 5.5 years. That statement means nothing unless you know about:

my battery configuration,
how I used my cart
how I maintained my pack

I can answer those questions:

8-6 volt Trojan T105s
I cannot quantify this, so no facts here to help, but I never (except once) discharge the pack to less than 50% SOC
I do the best I can. Keep them charged, watered, clean...

Some experiences that may help…

I did some testing when the batteries in my cart were two years old:

driving 22 - 26 miles left the cart at 75% SOC
driving 45 - 50 miles left the cart at 50% SOC

your mileage likely will vary based on your three answers above
mileage will decrease with age to some degree which I have not measured (this test was with two year old batteries).

On that same trip, I took the cart 63 miles with an ending voltage of 47.6 (A bit less than 40% SOC) Do not do this routinely (see pretty picture below for my test runs).

Looking at a couple of cycles versus discharge charts (One cycle means, taking the cart out for a ride to discharge, then fully charging)

Looking at some charts on the Internet (google “cycles vs depth of discharge images”):

If you discharge the cart:

20% SOC EVERY time you use it, you should expect 2000 to 3000 cycles
50% SOC EVERY time you use it you should expect 1000 to 1300 cycles

As you can see there is quite a difference in the charts <lol>. My gut feel is that even the lower numbers are optimistic but I have no way to prove that. I have never attempted to track the discharge SOC versus cycles of my carts and have no intention on starting.

We have two ELECTRIC golf carts, which makes over usage a non-issue. Living in Mallory also has its advantages as far as distance to things. No matter where I lived in TV MY CHOICE would be electric and I would not have an issue with range.

If none of what I am trying to convey makes any sense, I suggest taking the good advice already provided by some electric owners or get a gas cart :1rotfl:

http://i1002.photobucket.com/albums/af146/ajbrown2007/totv/DSC_0389.jpg (http://s1002.photobucket.com/user/ajbrown2007/media/totv/DSC_0389.jpg.html)

this information was VERY helpful. Thanks !

JoMar
12-29-2015, 02:06 PM
Yamaha gas, but there's Pro's & Con's to both. I bought a new gas Yamaha when I moved here permanently in 2012. Yamaha is the most popular cart but they're also the most expensive. Mine isn't nothing fancy but I paid well over $10,000. for mine & it's not fancy. Shop around a little but definitely buy a gas cart. Electric Cart batteries will cost you close to $1,000. every 5 yr's or so!

Closer to $500 - $600 every five years or so. I have 2 electrics and did research those costs before buying. I suspect as quantity increases costs may come down.

JoMar
12-29-2015, 02:07 PM
Good information. I haven't bought my cart yet but I've always leaned toward the Yamaha Gas. I didn't want to mess with all the batteries on an electric cart. Okay I admit it, the only thing I know about my Flex is where the gas goes!

With a gas cart you will learn more.

biker1
12-29-2015, 02:32 PM
Trojan 105s, a popular battery in 8x6V configurations, run about $130 a pop. That works out to $1000 for a new battery pack.

Closer to $500 - $600 every five years or so. I have 2 electrics and did research those costs before buying. I suspect as quantity increases costs may come down.

JoMar
12-29-2015, 04:11 PM
Trojan 105s, a popular battery in 8x6V configurations, run about $130 a pop. That works out to $1000 for a new battery pack.

hmmmm....I must have had a different Trojan distributor.....either way, the OP should check out both and make his choice based on their needs.....while I think gas is a poor choice, they might feel differently.

ladygolfer123
12-29-2015, 04:30 PM
Yamaha Gas....Grandpa and Grandma's Village Buggies...
E-mail scottprince@ grandpaandgrandmasvillagebuggies.com
Scott Prince 352-552-8478
Vickie Prince 352-552-8454
Located in The Villages, Florida

Dr Winston O Boogie jr
12-29-2015, 05:13 PM
my neighbor has a great looking golf cart that he must sell since he sold his home. He is asking $2000.

What kind of cart? I'm looking.

biker1
12-29-2015, 07:28 PM
Where I live, about 90% of the carts are gas. Most people see the obvious superiority of gas carts. Lower cost of ownership, higher resale value, less maintenance. Pretty much a no-brainer. Yes, they should look at both but most people will choose gas until battery technology improves.

hmmmm....I must have had a different Trojan distributor.....either way, the OP should check out both and make his choice based on their needs.....while I think gas is a poor choice, they might feel differently.

JoMar
12-29-2015, 09:11 PM
Where I live, about 90% of the carts are gas. Most people see the obvious superiority of gas carts. Lower cost of ownership, higher resale value, less maintenance. Pretty much a no-brainer. Yes, they should look at both but most people will choose gas until battery technology improves.

Different strokes........:)

villagetinker
12-29-2015, 10:25 PM
OP, IMHO, since you are just moving in I would like to offer some suggestions:
1. First where you are moving into and where you will be going make a huge impact. For example, we live in Pinellas, and go to Spanish Springs 3 times or more per week. This is NOT a golf cart trip, IMHO.
2, If you know for sure that you will be golfing, try renting a golf cart, and see what you like, try both types.
3. Be sure you understand that going from A to B by a car and by a golf cart can be significantly different, while I have seen a few instances where the GC path was shorter, in general I have found the car paths to be much short, both in distance and time.
Bottom line, move in, get to know the area, figure out what and where you think you want to go most, then and only then look at golf carts. All of the previous posters have LOTS more experience with GC them us, we use our car(s) 95% of the time or more due to distance and weather.
Hope this helps.

graciegirl
12-30-2015, 07:19 AM
OP, IMHO, since you are just moving in I would like to offer some suggestions:
1. First where you are moving into and where you will be going make a huge impact. For example, we live in Pinellas, and go to Spanish Springs 3 times or more per week. This is NOT a golf cart trip, IMHO.
2, If you know for sure that you will be golfing, try renting a golf cart, and see what you like, try both types.
3. Be sure you understand that going from A to B by a car and by a golf cart can be significantly different, while I have seen a few instances where the GC path was shorter, in general I have found the car paths to be much short, both in distance and time.
Bottom line, move in, get to know the area, figure out what and where you think you want to go most, then and only then look at golf carts. All of the previous posters have LOTS more experience with GC them us, we use our car(s) 95% of the time or more due to distance and weather.
Hope this helps.

Excellent advice from this guy, as usual.

We have one of each. I prefer the gas for dependability.

jmwol
02-24-2016, 06:55 PM
I like electric. It is quiet. No gas smell. I do not travel long distances. I get about 50 miles to a charge. When looking at a golf cart it is like a automobile. You want good service after the sale. I purchased my golf cart from Advantage Golf Cars. It is an E-Z-GO. The first time I had a problem the service department refused to even look at it. And this is a cart with a 3 year warranty. Needless to say I would not buy another cart from Advantage Golf Cars.

cavalier65
03-27-2016, 03:23 PM
With a gas cart you will learn more.
Why gas? Smelly fumes and high noise--go through any tunnel and prove it to yourself. Even on the golf course the lawn mower gas engine is objectionable. Do not believe the critics who claim you cannot get the driving range---50 miles. There is no reason in The Villages to exceed 35 miles in one day. If you live in Oceola and want to go to Spanish Springs--use your car. Batteries being replaced and costly, etc. is a scare tactic used by Yamaha sales. Every 5 years is not too much, plus, you do not have to fool with gasoline/oil. It is the 21st Century:)

RickeyD
03-27-2016, 03:41 PM
Why gas? Smelly fumes and high noise--go through any tunnel and prove it to yourself. Even on the golf course the lawn mower gas engine is objectionable. Do not believe the critics who claim you cannot get the driving range---50 miles. There is no reason in The Villages to exceed 35 miles in one day. If you live in Oceola and want to go to Spanish Springs--use your car. Batteries being replaced and costly, etc. is a scare tactic used by Yamaha sales. Every 5 years is not too much, plus, you do not have to fool with gasoline/oil. It is the 21st Century:)

This is your opinion which you share with other electrophiles. You'll never change a gas head mind. It's like an ass guy trying to change a boob guys mind, ain't happening.

Shimpy
03-27-2016, 04:21 PM

If you get low on gas away from home, just fill up and you're good for another 250 miles. It takes only 5 minutes. If you get low on a charge what do you do?
I like the idea that electric is quieter but don't like having to fill batteries and replace them every 3-5 years. Smell is not a problem because you are smelling the other carts even if yours is gas or electric.
I've been watching for several years and feel pretty sure that about 75% of the carts you see here are Yamaha and probably 90% of those are gas.
Unless electric has improved, they are fine on flat stretches but on a hill and they lose way too much speed.

kcrazorbackfan
03-27-2016, 07:04 PM
Yamaha gas from Carts and Clubs in Ocala. Talk to Paul or David; 352-351-2278.

kcrazorbackfan
03-27-2016, 07:07 PM
This is your opinion which you share with other electrophiles. You'll never change a gas head mind. It's like an ass guy trying to change a boob guys mind, ain't happening.

:boom::1rotfl::1rotfl::1rotfl:

baustgen
03-27-2016, 07:12 PM
It all boils down to one question. Can you remember to plug it in every night. If not, buy gas. You can always take your car to get more gas. If you are out of battery, you are not going anywhere for hours.

tomwed
03-27-2016, 08:17 PM
What size garage did you buy?
Do you and yours have separate activities?
Is money an object?
Do either of you get cold in the winter or hot in the summer?

biker1
03-27-2016, 08:30 PM
The statement about the 21st Century is a bit strange. Can I assume you drive a Tesla or some other electric car? If you don't, then I am not sure I understand your point. I would much rather "fool" with oil and gas then "fool" with battery acid. By the way, Yamaha sells both gas and electric carts so I don't understand your statement about "scare tactics" from Yamaha sales. Charging your flooded lead acid batteries in your enclosed garage is not without issues. Once every 3 weeks or so I put gas in my cart - it provides low maintenance, dependable transportation at a low cost without the issues of dealing with unsealed batteries. Buy what you want and I hope you enjoy it but please refrain from making false statements about a technology you don't appear to understand.

JoMar
03-27-2016, 08:35 PM
It all boils down to one question. Can you remember to plug it in every night. If not, buy gas. You can always take your car to get more gas. If you are out of battery, you are not going anywhere for hours.

If you can't remember to plug it in then maybe you shouldn't be driving anyway :)

mrf6969
03-27-2016, 08:45 PM
When I do an observation on the cart paths or carts parked in the town squares it appears that somewhere between 70-80 percent of the carts are Yamaha gas. If this was not a monster of a community then I am sure all I would be seeing is electric carts.
We all love quiet but honestly I stopped in and test drove a new 2016 Yam gas cart the other day and I was very impressed how non-noisy it was at cruising speed.

JoMar
03-27-2016, 08:45 PM
The statement about the 21st Century is a bit strange. Can I assume you drive a Tesla or some other electric car? If you don't, then I am not sure I understand your point. I would much rather "fool" with oil and gas then "fool" with battery acid. By the way, Yamaha sells both gas and electric carts so I don't understand your statement about "scare tactics" from Yamaha sales. Charging your flooded lead acid batteries in your enclosed garage in not without issues. Once every 3 weeks or so I put gas in my cart - it provides low maintenance, dependable transportation at a low cost without the issues of dealing with unsealed batteries. Buy what you want and I hope you enjoy it but please refrain from making false statements about a technology you don't appear to understand.

It seems that you are a gas head and that's ok.....during the times I rented here the owners provided gas carts and I rented a second gas cart. We had issues every year, electrical failure, seals leaking, gas smell in the garage. When we moved here in 2014 we bought two NEW electrics. I'm an electric head.....:). I will say that the farther I drive north the number of gas carts is higher but down here below 466A I hear less and less gas and see more electrics. The OP should do their own research and make an educated decision rather than listening to those of us that are biased either way.

mrf6969
03-27-2016, 08:52 PM
Talk to the cart rescue services and they will tell you they pick up a lot more elect golf carts than they do gas. That alone just may say something.
A cart poorly maintained in time will fail no matter if it is gas or electric.

biker1
03-28-2016, 06:05 AM
I would estimate that 80-90% of the carts below 466A are gas. Almost all of carts in my Village are gas. Several people I know who started out with electrics got rid of them and bought gas carts. The only thing I am biased towards is dependable, low maintenance vehicles. I have better things to do then worry about whether my batteries need to be watered, what the charge is, how much range is left, are any of my battery cells going bad, did I forget to plug in, etc. With electrics, the more deeply you discharge the battery pack, the shorter the lifetime. There are no such worries with gas carts.

It seems that you are a gas head and that's ok.....during the times I rented here the owners provided gas carts and I rented a second gas cart. We had issues every year, electrical failure, seals leaking, gas smell in the garage. When we moved here in 2014 we bought two NEW electrics. I'm an electric head.....:). I will say that the farther I drive north the number of gas carts is higher but down here below 466A I hear less and less gas and see more electrics. The OP should do their own research and make an educated decision rather than listening to those of us that are biased either way.

biker1
03-28-2016, 06:15 AM
My 2014 Yamaha is quiet at cruising speed - just sort of hums along.

When I do an observation on the cart paths or carts parked in the town squares it appears that somewhere between 70-80 percent of the carts are Yamaha gas. If this was not a monster of a community then I am sure all I would be seeing is electric carts.
We all love quiet but honestly I stopped in and test drove a new 2016 Yam gas cart the other day and I was very impressed how non-noisy it was at cruising speed.

jimbo2012
03-28-2016, 06:21 AM
think about your carbon foot print GoSolar, 70 miles

You don't need no stink n gas

:coolsmiley:

I would estimate that 80-90% of the carts below 466A are gas. Almost all of carts in my Village are gas.

I'm not sure of that estimate, mine is 60%, I'm only here 3.5 years but that what I see IMO

RickeyD
03-28-2016, 06:26 AM

I'm not sure of that estimate, mine is 60%, I'm only here 3.5 years but that what I see IMO

I so thought about my carbon footprint when I traded in my 454 Chevelle for a 327 Stingray. Now I can cruise down the road in full compliance with all the greenie weenies out there [emoji8]

photo1902
03-28-2016, 06:29 AM
My 2014 Yamaha is quiet at cruising speed - just sort of hums along.

Same here. Very happy with our 2014 Yamaha. No doubt some of the older carts are noisy and may have fume issues, newer ones don't. I'm open to gas or electric, but unless I saw a time tested electric cart which held up to the mileage claims, I wouldn't trade my gas cart for anything.

jimbo2012
03-28-2016, 06:32 AM
Same here. Very happy with our 2014 Yamaha. No doubt some of the older carts are noisy and may have fume issues, newer ones don't. I'm open to gas or electric, but unless I saw a time tested electric cart which held up to the mileage claims, I wouldn't trade my gas cart for anything.

HOw about this test let someone drive your cart, you drive behind it, then tell us what fumes you don't smell, better yet go thru a tunnel.

they smell, are noisy & vibrate.

IN about 10 days the solar cart will be on demo at the Squares, come and kick the tires

biker1
03-28-2016, 06:35 AM
Regarding the "solar footprint" argument, the impact from running a gas cart is below minuscule. Unless you have put PV panels on your roof and drive only electric cars such as a Leaf or Tesla, such comments hypocritical.

photo1902
03-28-2016, 06:36 AM
HOw about this test let someone drive your cart, you drive behind it, then tell us what fumes you don't smell, better yet go thru a tunnel.

they smell, are noisy & vibrate.

IN about 10 days the solar cart will be on demo at the Squares, come and kick the tires

We get it. You dont like gas carts. Some of us (most) do. I follow gas carts nearly everyday. No, I don't smell fumes and I don't get choked going through tunnels (by the way I go through three of them nearly every day, for a round trip total of 6 times. And yes, I will definitely check out the solar display, but your negative attitude won't necessarily win a bunch of gas cart people over.

jimbo2012
03-28-2016, 06:39 AM
Most folks that say that lost their sensitivity to smell,
it happens to some as we age, I'm not trying to be funny, it's fact.

jimbo2012
03-28-2016, 06:41 AM
Regarding the "solar footprint" argument, the impact from running a gas cart is below minuscule. Unless you have put PV panels on your roof and drive only electric cars such as a Leaf or Tesla, such comments hypocritical.

I understand your position and respectfully disagree, let's leave it that.

biker1
03-28-2016, 06:48 AM
We would consider an electric when/if lithium-ion battery packs become available at a lower price point.

photo1902
03-28-2016, 06:54 AM
Most folks that say that lost their sensitivity to smell,
it happens to some as we age, I'm not trying to be funny, it's fact.

Thanks, but I smell just fine, so to speak.

Can you provide the cost of the solar panel? Also, how long does a cart need to be left outside to charge?

biker1
03-28-2016, 06:55 AM
Too funny. I guess this means you don't have PV panels on your house and drive a gas car but are happy to suggest that those of us who drive gas golf carts need to consider our carbon footprint even though the carbon footprint from a car and house is much, much greater than a golf cart. How convenient.

I understand your position and respectfully disagree, let's leave it that.

jimbo2012
03-28-2016, 07:05 AM
We would consider an electric when/if lithium-ion battery packs become available at a lower price point.

They are fantastic, but at $4K not yet practical, unless you like expensive toys.

We are looking at them as we speak, should have pricing later this week.

But if they can't be done close to $2K, we will not offer them at this time.

Too funny. I guess this means you don't have PV panels on your house

I do

?

graciegirl
03-28-2016, 07:23 AM
I don't like marketing that is arguing.

I do like my old Yamaha. Bought her used almost nine years ago and she keeps gettin' me where I'm goin'.

Sweetie bought....and then sold an electric cart. Didn't get him where he was going, one too many times. We now have gas. Both of us.

Stop.

jimbo2012
03-28-2016, 07:26 AM
Can you provide the cost of the solar panel? Also, how long does a cart need to be left outside to charge?

Sure, https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/solar-golf-carts-347/solar-golf-carts-

It needs to stay in sun according to volt meter which is included in each install.

Come to the squares when the dates are set and take a look.

photo1902
03-28-2016, 07:34 AM
:bigbow:I don't like marketing that is arguing.

I do like my old Yamaha. Bought her used almost nine years ago and she keeps gettin' me where I'm goin'.

Sweetie bought....and then sold an electric cart. Didn't get him where he was going, one too many times. We now have gas. Both of us.

Stop.

photo1902
03-28-2016, 07:35 AM
Sure, https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/solar-golf-carts-347/solar-golf-carts-

It needs to stay in sun according to volt meter which is included in each install.

Come to the squares when the dates are set and take a look.

What is the cost please? Warranty?

jimbo2012
03-28-2016, 07:38 AM
Cost $550

Warranty 25 years on the panel one year all else.

see here please

https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/solar-golf-carts-347/solar-golf-carts-187134/

tuccillo
03-28-2016, 08:07 AM
I worked up the numbers in a previous thread. Here is a summary.

I will use energy units (watts-hours) since they make the most sense.

- A new, fully charged 8 x 6-volt battery pack can hold approximately 12000 watt-hours of energy.

- A 260 watt solar panel on a golf cart roof will deliver, on average across the year, 1000 watt-hours of energy per day if the cart is outside all day (and not under a tree). This is according to NREL (National Renewable Energy Lab in Colorado, I taught some classes there) and takes into account our latitude and climatic conditions.

- Therefore, a 50% discharged battery pack would take about 6 days to recharge if left outside all day and not driven (6 days times 1000 watt-hours per day equals 6000 watt-hours or 50% of the capacity). Estimations for smaller capacity battery packs and different percentages of discharge are easy.

- A 1000 watt-hours of energy costs about 13 cents from SECO. Therefore, you can save a maximum of 13 cents per day with the solar panel on the roof of the golf cart or about $47 per year. If the cart is not outside all day and/or if you don't actually consume 1000 watt-hours of energy (approximately 6 miles of driving) then the cost saving will be less.

-An electric golf cart consumes approximately 150-200 watt-hours per mile. It depends on your driving style and where you are going. The reason many people see 60+ miles of range with their golf cart is because 60 miles times 150-200 watt-hours per mile is about the capacity of many battery packs (12000 watt-hours for a 8x6-volt pack). Of course, you are always better off not fully discharging your battery pack.

- In terms of extending the range of the golf cart, if the cart is outside all day then the range can be extended about 6 miles. In other words, energy will flow into the battery pack from the solar panel and will also flow out of the battery pack to power the motor and the battery pack will discharge more slowly than without the solar panel. 6 miles times 150-200 watt-hours per mile equates to the 1000 watt-hours per day of energy you can obtain from the solar panel if the golf cart is left outside all day.

- In terms of extending the life of the battery pack by keeping it in a higher state of charge, accurate estimations are difficult. However, you can make some observations. If you aren't driving many miles per day (say 6 miles per day) and you are always plugging in at night then your battery pack will always be nearly fully charged. The impact from a solar panel is likely to be minimal. If you are driving a lot of miles per day and discharging the pack deeply then the low amount of energy from a solar panel (1000 watt-hours per day) is likely to be a relatively small percentage of the power discharged and probably won't have much impact either. Regardless, running a controlled experiment is difficult and would take several years.

Thanks, but I smell just fine, so to speak.

Bay Kid
03-28-2016, 08:16 AM
50 mpg with my Yamaha. Never left me.

photo1902
03-28-2016, 08:16 AM
I worked up the numbers in a previous thread. Here is a summary.

I will use energy units (watts-hours) since they make the most sense.

- A new, fully charged 8 x 6-volt battery pack can hold approximately 12000 watt-hours of energy.

- A 260 watt solar panel on a golf cart roof will deliver, on average across the year, 1000 watt-hours of energy per day if the cart is outside all day (and not under a tree). This is according to NREL (National Renewable Energy Lab in Colorado, I taught some classes there) and takes into account our latitude and climatic conditions.

- Therefore, a 50% discharged battery pack would take about 6 days to recharge if left outside all day and not driven (6 days times 1000 watt-hours per day equals 6000 watt-hours or 50% of the capacity). Estimations for smaller capacity battery packs and different percentages of discharge are easy.

- A 1000 watt-hours of energy costs about 13 cents from SECO. Therefore, you can save a maximum of 13 cents per day with the solar panel on the roof of the golf cart or about $47 per year. If the cart is not outside all day and/or if you don't actually consume 1000 watt-hours of energy (approximately 6 miles of driving) then the cost saving will be less.

-An electric golf cart consumes approximately 150-200 watt-hours per mile. It depends on your driving style and where you are going. The reason many people see 60+ miles of range with their golf cart is because 60 miles times 150-200 watt-hours per mile is about the capacity of many battery packs (12000 watt-hours for a 8x6-volt pack). Of course, you are always better off not fully discharging your battery pack.

- In terms of extending the range of the golf cart, if the cart is outside all day then the range can be extended about 6 miles. In other words, energy will flow into the battery pack from the solar panel and will also flow out of the battery pack to power the motor and the battery pack will discharge more slowly than without the solar panel. 6 miles times 150-200 watt-hours per mile equates to the 1000 watt-hours per day of energy you can obtain from the solar panel if the golf cart is left outside all day.

Thanks, Tucillo. I'll stick with my Yamaha Gas Cart. Maybe 10 years from now when Im ready to trade it in/sell it, electric technology will improve.

jimbo2012
03-28-2016, 08:25 AM
tuccillo

Your finding do not agree with ours, your opinion is not based on actual use or measured results they merely hypothetical.

Unlike as we have in real time testing and use over the last few years.

You are welcome to see the cart when they are at the squares.

To debate your numbers here is pointless, especially when you have no idea what the panel output voltage is nor how the controller was engineered.

photo1902
03-28-2016, 08:31 AM
tuccillo

Your finding do not agree with ours, your opinion is not based on actual use or measured results they merely hypothetical.

To debate your numbers here is pointless, especially when you have no idea what the panel output voltage is nor how the controller was engineered.

Jimbo, with all due respect, I'm not a fan of leaving my cart outside for the time it requires to charge. One of the requirements for the home I bought was a golf cart garage for that very reason. I'm very interested in green energy, and like to think I have an open mind about it. I've take a number of steps to reduce energy usage in my house. I wish you luck in your solar cart project.

tuccillo
03-28-2016, 08:43 AM
The energy that can be obtained from a 260 watt panel (1000 watt-hours per day) is directly from NREL and is not hypothetical. The watt-hours per mile is based on direct measurements by a poster on this forum and reported ranges by several posters.

The output voltage only has meaning when the amperage is specified. That is why I used energy units. Watts (power) = Volts x Amps. Energy is watts integrated over time or watt-hours.

A controller can maximize the charging of the battery pack but the absolute energy from the panel is limited by the panel technology, the size of the panel, it's orientation to the sun, the latitude, hours of exposure, and the climatic conditions. On average, you won't see more than 1000 watt-hours per day from the panel and probably a lot less unless you leave the cart outside all day. I ignored the inefficiencies in the controller - the energy to the battery pack will probably be 5% less due to inefficiencies in the controller.

Feel free to post your own numbers.

tuccillo

To debate your numbers here is pointless, especially when you have no idea what the output voltage is nor how the controller was engineered.

tuccillo
03-28-2016, 09:04 AM
I certainly hope battery technology and costs get better with time. Advances have been slow. It is hard to compete with gasoline in terms of it's "energy density". A gallon of gasoline weight about 6 pounds and will provide about 50 miles of range. It takes about 500 pounds of flooded lead-acid batteries to give you the same range. The gas in my 5+ gallon tank weighs about 30 pounds and provides 250 miles before needing to fill up. Lithium-ion are much better but the cost remains high.

Thanks, Tucillo. I'll stick with my Yamaha Gas Cart. Maybe 10 years from now when Im ready to trade it in/sell it, electric technology will improve.

RickeyD
03-28-2016, 09:46 AM
Hybrid anyone ?

jimbo2012
03-28-2016, 09:47 AM
The watt-hours per mile is based on direct measurements by a poster on this forum

So your entire calculation is based on ONE posters wattage usage.
And that's not hypothetical?

the energy to the battery pack will probably be 5% less due to inefficiencies in the controller.

Nope 99.2%

I have a lot more testing completed than that, on three different carts.

Feel free to post your own numbers.

What ever I state you will disagree, so no point.

You don't even have an electric cart.

tuccillo
03-28-2016, 10:02 AM
One poster posted actual power measurements from a kill-a-watt meter. Several others have posted obtained driving ranges with their cart, from which energy per mile is easily obtained. The energy usage for an electric is in the range of 150-200 watt-hours per mile.

99.2 % vs. 95 % doesn't change the conclusions. The difference is essentially in the noise range.

I am stating the actual numbers and you are the one who states they are wrong without posting any of your own numbers. I understand why you are reluctant to do so. The numbers are not very compelling.

The numbers are what the numbers are regardless of what cart I own. I am a scientist and deal with this sort of energy analysis every day at work.

So your entire calculation is based on ONE posters wattage usage.
And that's not hypothetical?

Nope 99.2%

I have a lot more testing completed than that, on three different carts.

What ever I state you will disagree, so no point.

You don't even have an electric cart.

tuccillo
03-28-2016, 10:06 AM
Probably not - it would not be cheap ;-)

Hybrid anyone ?

RickeyD
03-28-2016, 10:15 AM
Probably not - it would not be cheap ;-)

Even the Volt knew it had to go hybrid, despite the initial grand plan. Right now and for the foreseeable future, fossil fuels are the only answer. IMHO
With an area the size of Manhattan Island one would be fuelish not to go with internal combustion.

tuccillo
03-28-2016, 10:24 AM
Yes. And virtually all goods move via diesel: trains, planes (OK, jet fuel), trucks, and container ships. That is not going to change in my lifetime. When you need to move a lot of mass you need the kind of "energy density" that only fossil fuels can deliver. I think we will continue to see progress with electric and hybrid cars but it will be slow progress, and you still need to generate electricity with mostly fossil fuels.

Even the Volt knew it had to go hybrid, despite the initial grand plan. Right now and for the foreseeable future, fossil fuels are the only answer. IMHO
With an area the size of Manhattan Island one would be fuelish not to go with internal combustion.

RickeyD
03-28-2016, 10:30 AM
Although, all NYC Manhattan buses run on natural gas. Still diesel, still fossil but much cleaner. No reason why a Yami engine can't do the same thing.

tuccillo
03-28-2016, 10:40 AM
I wish Honda would get into the gas cart business. They are fundamentally an engine maker and I suspect they could engineer a golf cart that could exceed the 50 mpg I currently get. The market, however, is a bit crowded.

Although, all NYC Manhattan buses run on natural gas. Still diesel, still fossil but much cleaner. No reason why a Yami engine can't do the same thing.

RickeyD
03-28-2016, 10:45 AM
I wish Honda would get into the gas cart business. They are fundamentally an engine maker and I suspect they could engineer a golf cart that could exceed the 50 mpg I currently get. The market, however, is a bit crowded.

The number one outboard engine is Yamaha. Then Mercury, Evinrude. I do like Honda, but I think that all the makers just aren't trying hard enough with the cart engines. Trying to keep costs down I suppose. Let's face it, they sound like a lawnmower and smell worse. Also, putting FI on a cart engine is just lipstick on a pig. Big waste of engineering.

tuccillo
03-28-2016, 11:04 AM
The introduction of fuel injection was an improvement but it was an incremental improvement. I suspect the manufacturers are more driven to continue with their proven, bullet-proof designs as fleet sales to golf courses (where they live a hard life) are the main business. Our cart doesn't have a smell and is quiet at cruising speed. It is a bit louder during acceleration.

The number one outboard engine is Yamaha. Then Mercury, Evinrude. I do like Honda, but I think that all the makers just aren't trying hard enough with the cart engines. Trying to keep costs down I suppose. Let's face it, they sound like a lawnmower and smell worse.

JerryLBell
03-29-2016, 09:14 AM
We'll be looking to get a cart when we move to our house in The Villages next year. I would love to get a quiet, non-smelly electric cart. However, every time I've visited The Villages it seems like 90% or more of the carts I see are gas and 90% or more of them are Yamahas. It makes me think that the majority of folks have bought gas carts (and Yamaha carts) for a reason. For resale value alone, I feel I really have to give Yamaha gas carts are serious look. Since I'm not big on working with gas engines (or electric motors and batteries for that matter - I'm a software guy, not a hardware guy), I'll probably get a new cart with a warranty and take advantage of the improvements made on newer carts, including the "less smelly, better mileage" newer gas carts.

The main add-ons I'm looking for in a cart are 3-point seat belts and side lighting. I talked to a salesman and he mentioned the lighting as an option and I didn't really see the point. That night I was sitting on a bench outside a store in one of the town squares and notice that the carts without side lighting kind of disappeared as they went by. Those with lighting were hard to miss. And if I drive at night, I really do want my cart to be hard to miss, visually.

The wife is moderately interested in a more enclosed cart. I've seen sliding and hinged doors and have wondered if these would be insanely hot in the summer as we'll be full-timers, not snowbirds. Does anybody have any advice on cart enclosures? Are they wonderful in the winter and unbearable in the summer or are they wonderful year-round or are they kind of useless (since most people don't seem to bother with them)?

JoMar
03-29-2016, 09:51 AM
There was a time when gas was probably necessary and many of those carts are still out there. People also did less shopping off the reservation so The Villages golf carts got the bulk of the business and they sold Yamaha. If you spend time south of 466A you will find a bunch of electrics of all makes. I have an electric that I purchased off site and wanted to have something checked. I took it to The Villages Golf Carts and they advised they service everything and they took care of my concerns. I do not subscribe to the theory that one type of cart is better than another, only that your personal requirements will dictate what you buy. Everyone here has a bias and will try and convince you that their position is the right choice. There are plenty of resources available to provide un-biased information....got to love the internet.

On the subject of enclosures I am not a fan of solid enclosures. I enjoy having an open cart and enjoying the fresh air. The solid enclosures take a lot of that away and the amount of time you will need them in a year is minimal, yet they are there all the time. The sunbrella gives you you both options and yes, it does mean you might have to take 5 minutes to roll them up when you don't need them. I would suggest getting the sunbrella and if you it doesn't work then you can add solids. If you put on solids first and then find you want to change it's both harder and more expensive to go that route.

JerryLBell
03-30-2016, 06:41 AM
On the subject of enclosures I am not a fan of solid enclosures. I enjoy having an open cart and enjoying the fresh air. The solid enclosures take a lot of that away and the amount of time you will need them in a year is minimal, yet they are there all the time. The sunbrella gives you you both options and yes, it does mean you might have to take 5 minutes to roll them up when you don't need them. I would suggest getting the sunbrella and if you it doesn't work then you can add solids. If you put on solids first and then find you want to change it's both harder and more expensive to go that route.
Thanks for the well-stated and well-thought-out opinion on enclosures! What you say makes a lot of sense to me!

flyerguy
03-30-2016, 07:53 AM
The wife is moderately interested in a more enclosed cart. I've seen sliding and hinged doors and have wondered if these would be insanely hot in the summer as we'll be full-timers, not snowbirds. Does anybody have any advice on cart enclosures? Are they wonderful in the winter and unbearable in the summer or are they wonderful year-round or are they kind of useless (since most people don't seem to bother with them)?

Glad you asked. I'm also interested in hearing opinions from folks about the enclosed carts, I believe they are call Curtis Cab Doors. They seem to add a bit of security also ease of use when unexpected weather hits, possibly warmer inside during cooler times with the doors closed. Altough I'm sure air circulations may be a problem.

jimbo2012
03-30-2016, 07:56 AM
Well one big advantage is the drivers knee isn't hanging out in the traffic lane just waiting for a car to clip it.

It's amazing how many guys drive like that:shrug:.

graciegirl
03-30-2016, 08:48 AM
There are those who like gas carts and those who like electric. It is kinda like how we vote and how we feel about religion; no one is going to change our minds. We have gas carts and we have solar panels on our roof to heat our pool. I like what is proven to work well.

LittleDog
03-30-2016, 10:40 AM
I have lived in the Villages for 11 years and have owned 4 golf carts, both gas and electric. Presently I have an electric Parcar which I have had for a couple of years. Distance is never a problem but the most distance I have put is 25 miles. As far as enclosures I have had both a Curtis Cab and a MEE enclosure. However right now I have an interesting enclosure that I purchased with my cart. It is a sliding canvas enclosure that is attached to the front of the cart with velcro. It works great and is certainly easy to open or close. I don't think anyone else has this type of enclosure. I would not have a cart without an enclosure of some type. Another advantage of this type of enclosure is that it's not very heavy.

John

flyerguy
03-30-2016, 11:20 AM
On the subject of enclosures I am not a fan of solid enclosures. I enjoy having an open cart and enjoying the fresh air. The solid enclosures take a lot of that away and the amount of time you will need them in a year is minimal, yet they are there all the time.

You mention lack of fresh air with a solid enclosure. Does that mean even with the doors open?

Miguel 1952
04-12-2016, 04:17 PM
Completely agree!

JoMar
04-12-2016, 10:44 PM
You mention lack of fresh air with a solid enclosure. Does that mean even with the doors open?

That is what those with solid enclosures tell me. I have a friend that has two carts, one sunbrella equipped and one curtis cab equipped. He uses the curtis only when there is a chance of foul weather. I play golf with a guy that also has a curtis and he has made it clear that they next cart will not have an enclosure. As with everything, it really is personal preference but I see no advantage to solids.

Hacker1
04-18-2016, 10:01 PM

We have had our 2010 Star Cart for 6 years. Still on the original set of 8 6v batteries; we are just now realizing a noticeable decrease in range, so expect to replace the batteries next Fall. Our cart will easily go 20 mph, only very slight slow-down on up-slopes. We are definitely fans of Electric, and IMHO a Star will get you the most cart for the money.

jimbo2012
04-18-2016, 10:57 PM
Have you considered Lithium and or solar with lead acid

Hacker1
04-19-2016, 03:44 PM
Not ready yet to make that kind of investment. I have a battery minder, purchased 3 yrs ago. Got 6 yrs out of first battery set. With Battery Minder starting with new batteries next Fall, I should get at least 6 or 7 years out of those. By that time, hopefully, the price of the new technology will have fallen significantly. Or by then, maybe we'll get a new cart... Or maybe by then I won't need a cart anymore......(sigh)