PDA

View Full Version : iMac Help!

chelsea24
09-28-2008, 01:44 PM
I did a very stupid thing and inserted a small (camera) CD into the side of my iMac and now it won't eject. Does anyone know how I might get this out or a repair guy, closer than Orlando Apple store, that can help! I have just switched from the PC to the iMac and really should have know better. But on the PC try, you can read any size CD. Sooooo, here I am. Help please?????

Thanks in advance.

faithfulfrank
09-28-2008, 01:57 PM
chelsea24,

Perhaps it would help if you could please post what model imac you have.
I'll assume it is the newer type intel based imac that is silver with a black apple logo on front, or is it one of the older ones? (I'm typing this on an eight year old G4 imac lamp-style one)

Do you have applecare with it? Is it still under warranty?

You can also go to www.appleinsider.com or www.macrumors.com and click forums and ask there.....people are always on there and you will get help quickly.

Good luck!
You're right wing conservative mac friend:),

Frank D.

starflyte1
09-28-2008, 02:04 PM
Please don't take this as an insult, but did you click the key in the upper right hand corner to kick it out? You may be a computer genius and already know about that key, but maybe not. It took me several books to figure that out. I am NOT much on the computer.

If doesn't work, go to the Apple website, go to support, discussions and go on the forum for your Mac. Your question should be answered shortly.

chelsea24
09-28-2008, 02:30 PM
chelsea24,

Perhaps it would help if you could please post what model imac you have.
I'll assume it is the newer type intel based imac that is silver with a black apple logo on front, or is it one of the older ones? (I'm typing this on an eight year old G4 imac lamp-style one)

Do you have applecare with it? Is it still under warranty?

You can also go to www.appleinsider.com or www.macrumors.com and click forums and ask there.....people are always on there and you will get help quickly.

Good luck!
You're right wing conservative mac friend:),

Frank D.

Hi Frank, yes I have applecare and they told me I had to bring it into Orlando! Argggggg! That's an hour away, but I guess I'll have to go tomorrow. But I will check out these sites. Thanks for the info.

Yes, mine is an iMac, the new version and I love it. At least you and I can agree on the Mac! Your left wing friend, chels :wave:

chelsea24
09-28-2008, 02:36 PM
Please don't take this as an insult, but did you click the key in the upper right hand corner to kick it out? You may be a computer genius and already know about that key, but maybe not. It took me several books to figure that out. I am NOT much on the computer.

If doesn't work, go to the Apple website, go to support, discussions and go on the forum for your Mac. Your question should be answered shortly.

Thanks Starflyte. I don't use the Apple keyboard. I have to get a bluetooth adapter. I was on with applecare one day for 5 hours and it never would detect their keyboard, so I just started using my old wireless Logitech and it works fine. I did find out that you can hit F12 and an eject icon comes up. But it didn't work. This thing is truly stuck. I will try Apples website though. Thanks for your help. I fear that trip to Orlando is in sight. chels :Screen_of_Death:

faithfulfrank
09-28-2008, 06:07 PM
chelsea,
If you HAVE to go to the Apple store, make the appointment online today, if possible.
That way your time will be set and you will have no wait. At the same time, have them check the keyboard thing.....there is no way you should have to use an old keyboard. The new slim apple keyboards are a JOY.

Good luck......too bad it did not happen next week....you would be driving right by our place...we will be back in Florida next Monday.....YIPPEE !!!

Frank D.

chelsea24
09-28-2008, 06:18 PM
chelsea,
If you HAVE to go to the Apple store, make the appointment online today, if possible.
That way your time will be set and you will have no wait. At the same time, have them check the keyboard thing.....there is no way you should have to use an old keyboard. The new slim apple keyboards are a JOY.

Good luck......too bad it did not happen next week....you would be driving right by our place...we will be back in Florida next Monday.....YIPPEE !!!

Frank D.

Hi Frank, thanks for all your help. I called the Apple store and have an appt. for 11:20 tomorrow morning! Arggg! But they said they can open it up and take it right out without leaving it. They said that others have done this, so I don't feel so stupid. (Well, kinda.) So, that's good. So, thanks again for trying. Yes, I will bring in the keyboard too.

Hey why don't you and your wife ever come to the Crisper's luncheons on the third Friday of every month? You'd be more than welcome and no talk of politics is allowed! They're a great group of people that keeps growning every month. Hope to see you there, thanks, chels

villages07
09-28-2008, 07:03 PM
Chels,

I've never been a Mac person, but, this trick has always worked on PCs.

Get your flashlight and magnifying glass out... somewhere on the faceplate of your CD drive (probably near the eject button) there should be a small pinhole. Take a paper clip and "unfold" it to create a long straight edge. Insert the paper clip straight edge into the pin hole until it won't insert any further (it might even click at the end). This should act as a manual eject and open the CD door.

I am assuming the CD is jammed and you can't eject it out???

faithfulfrank
09-28-2008, 07:13 PM
I have not looked at the newest imacs that much, but they do not have a door.
They have a slot, and are inserted vertically, so it is not a question of a drawer not opening.
I suspect that because it is a vertical slot opening, the smaller disc slid down, not in a normal CD position.

I'm glad you are all set there....Apple customer satisfaction ratings are so much higher then a typical PC manufacturer.......Chels, be happy knowing that if it were a Dell, you would STILL be talking to someone with a fake american name somewhere in India, and making plans on sending it somewhere.....

Hey, take a look at the new 3G iphones and the new 4th gen ipod nanos when you are there....Enjoy! A trip to the Apple store is never a bad day....

We'll be down there from 10/6 to 11/1.....hope to be at the next Crispers meeting in October. See ya!!

Frank D.

villages07
09-28-2008, 07:15 PM
Chels,

As I recall, Circuit City now sells apple products....I wonder if their tech geeks can fix the problem (without voiding your warranty). Sure would be a lot more convenient than traveling to Orlando.

chelsea24
09-28-2008, 07:44 PM
Thanks all! 07 I will call Circuit City in the morning before we leave. Yes, the iMac does not have a tray, but a vertical slide in. I'm so mad at myself! Argggg! :swear: at me! Oh well. Thanks again all.

faithfulfrank
09-29-2008, 04:44 PM
Well Chelsea,
how did it go ??

Frank D.

chelsea24
09-29-2008, 06:24 PM
Well Chelsea,
how did it go ??

Frank D.

Frank! You won't believe it! We put the computer in the back of the van on a blanket, drive all the way to Orlando, and as my husband is getting the computer out of the car -- the CD falls out! LOLOLOL Another "Lucy" moment! But I took it in to have them check the drive anyway. :laugh:

It was so funny! Everything is all right. I have to take the little CD and burn it into a regular CD for it to work with the Mac. Oh well, it's always nice to go to Orlando! Hahahaha. Thanks for all you help. See you at Crisper's, chels