PDA

View Full Version : Is Patriotism Waning?

Bosoxfan
11-22-2015, 01:50 PM
This was posted by a cousin of mine on Facebook. She expressed a feeling I myself have been feeling recently.

I don't often write posts on Facebook, but this has been really bothering me and I decided to say something. We were asked to change one light to green on our porches on Veteran's Day in honor of our veterans and leave it on for one week. I couldn't think of anything that was easier to do to show my gratitude and respect for all of our Veterans. We bought our green lightbulbs right away and were proud to show our patriotism. I was amazed as we drove around the city and elsewhere to see how few green light bulbs there were. Then the terrible tragedy happened in Paris and all I could think of was my green light. My heart goes out to the people of France, but my love and gratitude is with the Veterans of this Country who have risked their lives and continue to do so to keep us safe. I would change every lightbulb in my house to green to honor all of you because you deserve it. From the bottom of my heart Thank You and God Bless America!�

Any thoughts. I drove around The Villages and saw very few green bulbs honoring our veterans. Was this a task that was too much to ask?

CFrance
11-22-2015, 01:59 PM
This was posted by a cousin of mine on Facebook. She expressed a feeling I myself have been feeling recently.

I don't often write posts on Facebook, but this has been really bothering me and I decided to say something. We were asked to change one light to green on our porches on Veteran's Day in honor of our veterans and leave it on for one week. I couldn't think of anything that was easier to do to show my gratitude and respect for all of our Veterans. We bought our green lightbulbs right away and were proud to show our patriotism. I was amazed as we drove around the city and elsewhere to see how few green light bulbs there were. Then the terrible tragedy happened in Paris and all I could think of was my green light. My heart goes out to the people of France, but my love and gratitude is with the Veterans of this Country who have risked their lives and continue to do so to keep us safe. I would change every lightbulb in my house to green to honor all of you because you deserve it. From the bottom of my heart Thank You and God Bless America!�

Any thoughts. I drove around The Villages and saw very few green bulbs honoring our veterans. Was this a task that was too much to ask?
I disagree with the idea that Americans are becoming less patriotic. There are some of us who feel the green light idea was cooked up by Walmart, who happened to be selling green light bulbs.

We don't have to fall right into every idea that comes down the pike to show our patriotism. My husband is a Vietnam veteran and is very leery of these off-the-cuff, express-your-patriotism "gimmicks." We fly our flag and decorate the yard with flags on the designated holidays. Some of us just live our patriotism quietly. Because we didn't run out to wherever and buy a green light does not mean we have become less patriotic.

Navy (SSBN 633)
11-22-2015, 02:11 PM
in my humble opinion from this retired Navy vet you only have to drive around the villages on Vet's day to see all the flags honoring our vets and the ceremony's in The Villages to know patriotism is not declining. The Walmart green light was a total gimmick.

Villager Joyce
11-22-2015, 02:21 PM
How can something that costs 98 cents count as a gimmick. We put our light out.

KayakerNC
11-22-2015, 02:23 PM
in my humble opinion from this retired Navy vet you only have to drive around the villages on Vet's day to see all the flags honoring our vets and the ceremony's in The Villages to know patriotism is not declining. The Walmart green light was a total gimmick.

:agree:Well said.

Bogie Shooter
11-22-2015, 02:27 PM

Was everybody asked, did some not get the message?
How did people in TV get the message about a green bulb?

Ecuadog
11-22-2015, 02:34 PM
Gimmick or not, I did it. I would rather err on the side of patriotism. The lamp in my window still lights green at night.

Chi-Town
11-22-2015, 02:35 PM
Lighting a green bulb and criticizing those that don't hardly stirs patriotism.

billethkid
11-22-2015, 03:47 PM
I did it as well. And when shopping I might add there was not a green bulb to be found at Lowes, Home depot, Publix, Walmart or Ace hardware.

Supply and demand?
Effective communication?

We fly the flag 24/7. We place flags all along the property on appropriate designated days.

I never thought that anybody who did not was unpatriotic.

Sorta like who decorates for Christmas and who does not.

To each his own.

MikeV
11-22-2015, 04:33 PM
I am a Viet Nam Vet so I wanted to display a green light but I could not find a green light with a candelabra base for my lamp post of carriage lights. I do agree with Navy that the flags on display on Veteran's Day are enough for me to feel appreciated.

RickeyD
11-22-2015, 04:44 PM

I'm a veteran. Could care less about a stupid green light bulb. Question my patriotism and we'll be stepping outside. Don't let it bother you, I don't.

cuzg8tor
11-22-2015, 06:31 PM
All you have to do is see all of the flags on holidays and you know that The Villages is probably the most patriotic town in the country. I am retired Navy and I really appreciate the actions of my neighbors.

Bosoxfan
11-22-2015, 07:05 PM
]I think the green light is a superficial thing to make the person displaying the light feel good about themselves.[/U] It's like wearing pink for breast cancer month, imo. Visit/help veterans or breast cancer victims, by donating your time or donate money to wounded warriors and cancer treatment centers, etc., if you really want to show appreciation and support. I definitely think this country is less patriotic than 20, 30, 40 years ago. Of course, our corrupt government and politicians have greatly contributed to that.

I don't see it as making myself feel good about me. I see it as any opportunity I have to show my support I'm going to do it. I don't see any reason for you to assume that putting in a green light is the only thing I do.

Jima64
11-22-2015, 07:08 PM
Found mine on a end cap display at walmart for 98 cents. No problem to do it. Doesn't bother me if others don't.

Ron_Ski
11-22-2015, 08:21 PM
I celebrate Veterans Day by proudly displaying an American flag to recognize and honor all who have sacrificed so we may enjoy our freedoms. I celebrate Veterans Day by watching and participating in parades as a celebration and reenactment of our soldiers returning home after the war. I celebrate Veterans Day by buying poppies which are a somber reminder of Flanders field and those still buried overseas. All these symbols are deeply rooted in tradition and have special meanings. So now apparently the above is no longer enough to show your patriotism and appreciation for veterans. Now you're supposed to display a green light which, in my mind, has so particular significance in history and is redundant. When looking at the web pages, it's pretty obvious this is more about sales for wal-mart that taking care of veterans. If you chose to display a green light, I know you are a true American and love your country as much as life itself. I hope you think the same of me if I chose to stick with honoring our veterans in the traditional manner. Best Regards-Ski

outlaw
11-22-2015, 08:57 PM
I don't see it as making myself feel good about me. I see it as any opportunity I have to show my support I'm going to do it. I don't see any reason for you to assume that putting in a green light is the only thing I do.

That's good if you do other stuff that has more impact. I'm just telling it from a vet's perspective. Let's face it. If it requires virtually no effort or sacrifice, why would you think it means much to those who did put in the effort and sacrifice? I'm not criticizing you. Just sayin'. It's like hashtag bring our girls home, or hashtag we are charlie hebdo.

dbussone
11-22-2015, 09:05 PM

I don't often write posts on Facebook, but this has been really bothering me and I decided to say something. We were asked to change one light to green on our porches on Veteran's Day in honor of our veterans and leave it on for one week. I couldn't think of anything that was easier to do to show my gratitude and respect for all of our Veterans. We bought our green lightbulbs right away and were proud to show our patriotism. I was amazed as we drove around the city and elsewhere to see how few green light bulbs there were. Then the terrible tragedy happened in Paris and all I could think of was my green light. My heart goes out to the people of France, but my love and gratitude is with the Veterans of this Country who have risked their lives and continue to do so to keep us safe. I would change every lightbulb in my house to green to honor all of you because you deserve it. From the bottom of my heart Thank You and God Bless America!í*¼

I should start by apologizing. There are 155 homes in our neighborhood. 2 have green post lights. I never saw any mention of doing this, nor did anyone mention it to me. On my street alone there are probably 6-10 marines, never mind other service member vets. I have a number of ancestors who fought in the American Revolutionary War.

I do much to honor vets, but am embarrassed about this. I am not on Facebook, so where did this start?

Ecuadog
11-22-2015, 09:09 PM
That's good if you do other stuff that has more impact. I'm just telling it from a vet's perspective. Let's face it. If it requires virtually no effort or sacrifice, why would you think it means much to those who did put in the effort and sacrifice? I'm not criticizing you. Just sayin'. It's like hashtag bring our girls home, or hashtag we are charlie hebdo.

One Vet to another, relax.

Challenger
11-22-2015, 09:27 PM
Lighting a green bulb and criticizing those that don't hardly stirs patriotism.

These kinds of symbols are ok if one wishes to indulge,but don't judge my Patriotism by whether I participate in a fadish jesture. Patriotism is so much more and in my opinion is somewhat diminished by tacky displays. Rather, serve, vote, volunteer, sacrifice . And if you wish, buy a light or flag or whatever.

CFrance
11-22-2015, 09:58 PM
These kinds of symbols are ok if one wishes to indulge,but don't judge my Patriotism by whether I participate in a fadish jesture. Patriotism is so much more and in my opinion is somewhat diminished by tacky displays. Rather, serve, vote, volunteer, sacrifice . And if you wish, buy a light or flag or whatever.

What Challenger said.:thumbup:

outlaw
11-22-2015, 10:22 PM
One Vet to another, relax.

I am relaxed.

CFrance
11-22-2015, 10:25 PM
I should start by apologizing. There are 155 homes in our neighborhood. 2 have green post lights. I never saw any mention of doing this, nor did anyone mention it to me. On my street alone there are probably 6-10 marines, never mind other service member vets. I have a number of ancestors who fought in the American Revolutionary War.

I do much to honor vets, but am embarrassed about this. I am not on Facebook, so where did this start?
DB, it was started on Walmart's facebook page https://www.facebook.com/walmart/videos/10153813548074236/

outlaw
11-22-2015, 10:28 PM

I never really got the voting being patriotic thing? I always thought it was a scheme to get people who knew nothing other than sound bites to vote in large enough numbers to dilute the few educated voters choice thus reducing elections to moneyed power brokers.

kcrazorbackfan
11-22-2015, 10:40 PM
This household is as patriotic as it comes; we have always supported our servicemen/women. However, with my wife and I being retired LEO and our son a LEO, we burn a blue light in our light post.

Patriotism was at its highest after 9/11; I hope and pray we don't have to endure another terroristic act to unite America again.

tcxr750
11-23-2015, 05:09 PM
The definition of patriotism is devotion and love of one's country. A green light sounds like a marketing idea to get people in the store with patriotism as the excuse. "Martha, while we're here let's buy that HDTV we've always wanted.
In my opinion the American flag is patriotism's best symbol.

RickeyD
11-24-2015, 06:33 AM
The definition of patriotism is devotion and love of one's country. A green light sounds like a marketing idea to get people in the store with patriotism as the excuse. "Martha, while we're here let's buy that HDTV we've always wanted.
In my opinion the American flag is patriotism's best symbol.

And the Valley Forge flag company thanks you for that !

rubicon
11-24-2015, 06:45 AM
Is patriotism waning? Yes and big time. Posters are looking in the wrong direction by looking inward here in TV. Look to what is going on in our universities , Hollywood, black Lives Matter, Freedom From Religion, etc with their hate, trigger warnings and micro aggressions for national leaders of the past and anything and all traditional . I dare not get too political or my post will disappear but patriotism thrives in this community but unfortunately is quickly disappearing in our nation

CFrance
11-24-2015, 07:51 AM
And the Valley Forge flag company thanks you for that !
The difference in my mind is that nobody profited monetarily from the design of the original American flag. It came about by resolution of the Second Continental Congress, not Walmart.

billethkid
11-24-2015, 09:47 AM
The dilution of the "American" (like it or not) profile with all the illegal immigration and open border policiy the cross section of America is constantly changing.

When the immigration effect generates to a majority, there are many more "things" we hold as American patriotism that will come under attack or objection.

A simple matter of doing the math and the new direction the country is currently on.

Walt.
11-24-2015, 03:11 PM
OK... who is more patriotic...
The guy who puts in a green lightbulb or the guy who buys a mattress on Veterans Day?