PDA

View Full Version : Where are your cable modem and wireless router?

bdorman
11-23-2015, 01:39 PM
My wife and I will occupy our new home in January, so I'm trying to prepare a few things. Very excited to miss our first Chicago winter!

I've heard that a cable modem and wireless router must be located (or wired at) the home's point of entry...and new build's point of entry is in the low-voltage box in the garage.

Is this the case? If so, are you able to get decent wireless reception even though the router is in a metal box in a concrete brick room?

Any education will be much appreciated.

Jimjane
11-23-2015, 01:42 PM
Mine is located in the house behind my TV. Never seen one in a metal box in the garage.

Chatbrat
11-23-2015, 01:45 PM
My centurylink modem is in a metal fiber optic cabinet in the garage. My router is next a communications outlet (phone & cable)

OldManTime
11-23-2015, 02:05 PM
I have been wireless for about 15 years now, never have I heard of that. Both of mine are on an interior wall, where Cable enters the home in a closet, then into bedroom (ManCave), attached with Velcro

John_W
11-23-2015, 02:11 PM
I also have Century Link but we have no modem. Whenever I call them they refer to my service as 'to the curb'. We do have a Century Link box in the garage but it's a plastic wall box that's labeled 'Cyper Power'. I was told there was a backup battery in the box, so in case of a power failure we wouldn't lose our phone or internet. Last summer our phone/internet went out for the only time in 4-1/2 years and when the tech came, he said apparently a nearby lightning strike had knocked out the battery and he put a new battery in the box and service came back.

Anyway, I can show you where we put the router in our courtyard villa. Century Link put one double jack inside our house, it's at the end of the bar on the partition wall at the far right of this photo. One jack is for telephone and the other is for internet. We just plug our router directly into the wall jack. The bar is two-tier, so the router hides below the top of the bar and just inside the wall. Our smart TV is about 25' away and our laptop we can take anywhere.

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k241/9234gypsy/8c2fe766-0af2-4e43-ac40-2f833a45798c_zpsyn3rjoi8.jpg

Chatbrat
11-23-2015, 03:13 PM
I have the link box--thought it was modem-All I know Centurylink is great, had comcast for about 6 weeks, Dish for 1 year-Centurylink 21/2 yrs

MikeV
11-23-2015, 04:16 PM
Anywhere there is a cable outlet in the house.

N44125
11-23-2015, 04:46 PM
MikeV...absolutely correct, anywhere there is access to cable, I.e., cable outlet. We have a cable outlet in EVERY room of our home plus the lanai. Only rooms without an outlet are the bathrooms and laundry room. We have Comcast cable and Internet.

N44125
11-23-2015, 04:48 PM
Further to my previous post....cable outlets were installed by the builder and not as a option. These outlets should show up on your printed house plan.

zcaveman
11-23-2015, 05:27 PM
My cable modem/wireless router is an all in one unit from Comcast and it sits under my computer desk in my man-cave.

Z

Shimpy
11-23-2015, 05:35 PM
My cable modem/wireless router is an all in one unit from Comcast and it sits under my computer desk in my man-cave.
Z

Same here, sits under my computer desk and works fine.

CFrance
11-23-2015, 05:44 PM
Our modem/router is in the living room. Comcast.

jblum315
11-23-2015, 09:15 PM
My modem/router is on a shelf under the TV in the living room. The TV in the bedroom has its own little box. My computer is in another room and everything is wireless.

tialarre
11-23-2015, 10:27 PM
I had Brighthouse install additional cable jack above cabinet above refrigerator. I had electrician install electric outlet (always live - not switched). My modem and wifi router are on top of cabinet above refrigerator (center of house). This way we get best coverage over all of the house (garage, bedrooms, and lanai). Also, modem and router are plugged into battery backup (also on top of cabinet above refrigerator). Laptops don't lose internet connection even when power is out.

DonH57
11-24-2015, 01:21 AM
Both of ours were under the television stand until they ran off or the geckos took them. The little boogers!

Marathon Man
11-24-2015, 08:42 AM
I will add to be sure to discuss the location of your equipment with the installing tech to ensure that it goes where you want it. Should not be a problem as long as power and communication outlets are available.

rexxfan
11-24-2015, 02:09 PM

Anywhere there is a cable outlet in the house that is actually connected to the cable from the street out in the junction box. Mine had only two connected. I had to have Comcast replace the 2 way splitter with a 4 way to connect up two more outlets. Of course they charged for each one.
--
bc

TNLAKEPANDA
11-24-2015, 02:19 PM

That is correct! Just tell the cable installer where you want it. LR is best as it is centralized for best reception. Buy your own modem and save on the rental cost. Centry Link may be different but they would not my choice of providers! Best customer service is Brighthouse!

LI SNOWBIRD
11-24-2015, 03:17 PM

Z

same here only it id in the guest bedroom works great

bdorman
11-25-2015, 04:10 PM
Many thanks for all the advice. Clearly, I'd gotten some bad information about needing to locate the modem at the house's point-of-entry.

asianthree
11-25-2015, 08:19 PM
Comcast, master bedroom, lily, no problem anywhere in the house

Jima64
11-26-2015, 01:10 PM
In my computer, crafts room.

rubicon
11-26-2015, 01:51 PM
We have a cable outlet in every room in our house except the bathrooms. We converted the front room to a man cave which included a computer desk.
Our modem/router is stored in the computer out of sight and to ensure reach placed a range extender in the middle of our house

rn1tv
12-13-2015, 07:40 PM
Our comcast modem and router are in our garage and have been for for close to two years. We have not had any problems. They are located on top of 8 ft. tall cabinets.

jblum315
12-14-2015, 06:06 AM
Mine is behind the TV. PC IS IN ANOTHER ROOM AND iPad is wherever. Everything works off the wireless.

ukbill70
12-14-2015, 10:22 AM
I have my router in the living room on the TV stand. PC's are in the Den and Smart Phone, IPad are anywhere in the house or Garage. No Problems.