PDA

View Full Version : Tired of "Special" Eaters?

goodtimesintv
11-25-2015, 07:39 PM
If you're tired as we are, of people analyzing and condemning the normal foods the rest of us enjoy in social settings or when hosting guests, here's a look at what we see/hear from those who just have to be "healthier" and "special".

Note: This is NOT aimed at all at people who really do have medical problems from foods. It's about the fad diet experts.

How to Become Gluten Intolerant :1rotfl:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oht9AEq1798&feature=youtu.be

graciegirl
11-25-2015, 08:53 PM
I have always been taught that what you like or don't like to eat is only moderately interesting to other people and you probably should keep it to yourself.

applesoffh
11-25-2015, 09:27 PM
You're so right, Gracie! Happy Thanksgiving!

goodtimesintv
11-25-2015, 10:34 PM
I have always been taught that what you like or don't like to eat is only moderately interesting to other people and you probably should keep it to yourself.

Yes! We were taught that nobody wants to hear about ailments, hypochondria, supposed allergies, boils and other oozing skin things, medicines you cannot take, and lower digestive tract visuals at the dinner table!

And don't make stuff up to get attention.

rubicon
11-26-2015, 06:03 AM
I am tired of special eaters, tired of people who freely want to discuss their sex lives and bathroom aliments. What has happen to that wonderful practice of reticence? What has happened to polite conversation in mixed company?
Why have we become a nation of tolerance to the intolerant? Because we stay silent when we should speak up and speak up when we should be reticent?

Happy Thanksgiving

Personal Best Regards:

Jima64
11-26-2015, 06:48 AM
Some people like to put down what others eat or do in their company.

zcaveman
11-26-2015, 08:12 AM
Yes! We were taught that nobody wants to hear about ailments, hypochondria, supposed allergies, boils and other oozing skin things, medicines you cannot take, and lower digestive tract visuals at the dinner table!

And don't make stuff up to get attention.

This goes for on the golf course also. You play a round with some new people and by hole three you know their entire medical history.

Z

Boomer
11-26-2015, 09:17 AM
I know what you mean.

I saw a birthday card with a cartoon showing Jesus feeding the 5000.....

There He is holding the loaves and fishes while voices call out from among the multitudes.......

"Is that bread gluten-free?"
"I'm a vegan!"
"Has that fish been tested for mercury?"

That card made me laugh.

But some of these people are people I love and so I just smile and nod.

Bonny
11-26-2015, 09:24 AM
Maybe it's just me, but I think the main food groups are bacon, pizza, cheese, peanut butter & butter.

Polar Bear
11-26-2015, 09:33 AM
Maybe it's just me, but I think the main food groups are bacon, pizza, cheese, peanut butter & butter.

Ahhh. You included my favorite food...butter. :)

kstew43
11-26-2015, 10:13 AM

you forgot to mention...donuts...cake and chocolate.....

Barefoot
11-26-2015, 10:21 AM
What? No wine and chocolate! :wine:

golf2140
11-26-2015, 12:13 PM

:BigApplause::BigApplause::BigApplause::BigApplaus e:

dbussone
11-26-2015, 12:16 PM

Those 2 get my vote.

Bonny
11-26-2015, 12:28 PM
Oh yes, of course ! I need wine to wash it all down! :D

Bonny
11-26-2015, 12:29 PM
Definitely wine. Maybe a small bite of chocolate. :thumbup:

Bonny
11-26-2015, 12:30 PM
Ahhh. You included my favorite food...butter. :)
Everything goes better with butter ! :D

justjim
11-26-2015, 12:59 PM
Grew up on beans and taters and still like em'. OP, kinda sort of know what your saying. A few years ago we went out with a group of Villagers and one or two always complained about their food. Bottom line---we quit going.

CFrance
11-26-2015, 01:33 PM
Definitely wine. Maybe a small bite of chocolate. :thumbup:
If a small bite of dark chocolate is healthy, wouldn't half a pound of it be even better?:D

Taltarzac725
11-26-2015, 01:45 PM
Yakitori Recipe | Japanese Cooking 101 (http://www.japanesecooking101.com/yakitori-recipe/)

I remember making some Yakitori for a lunch at Information Access Company around 1986 and one of the fellow employees asked me if it were chicken or lamb as she was allergic to lamb. Diabetics also had to be careful with sugar intake.

There are serious medical reasons for some people asking about special needs in food.

They liked by Yakitori and it impressed a woman I was trying to get a date with but I had decided to go back to Law School then after dropping out of BYU. Another place with very strict food guidelines which I had to follow while on the BYU Campus and under their Honor Code.

There are also the Jewish, Muslim and Hindi food bans. These too seem important. I heard a lot about them from a Jewish Villages neighbor and earlier from a University of Denver Graduate Librarianship Program student who was a strict Muslim from Mosul, Iraq. There are people who just do this of attention-- claim special needs-- but there are many others who have serious reasons about their food intake.

dbussone
11-26-2015, 01:57 PM
If a small bite of dark chocolate is healthy, wouldn't half a pound of it be even better?:D

Absolutely. And I read that in the New England Journal of Medicine.

Topspinmo
11-26-2015, 02:52 PM

You forgot kechup

manaboutown
11-26-2015, 02:57 PM
Since I grew up with many food allergies I can understand why some folks must be careful about what they eat. Fortunately I outgrew most of them when I hit my teens. The food allergies unfortunately were passed on to my grandkids. Frankly, I had all but forgotten them until they showed up in my grandkids.

What bothers me is the disgusting gorging I see, mostly when I hit all you can eat buffets for a quick meal. I try to sit where the 300 to 400 pound gluttons scarfing it down are out of my field of view; else I will lose my appetite.

kittygilchrist
11-26-2015, 07:55 PM
Trying not to pass up an opportunity to say what irks me!

Pride and arrogance about one's superiority in selecting food. Thinking one is wiser than their host while refusing to eat or drink most everything, even water, and no grace to bring your own brand.

Bonny
11-27-2015, 11:25 AM
I worked for a wonderful chocolate manufacturer for 10 years. Guess what I ate for breakfast, lunch & dinner. LOL Kind of had my fill of chocolate. I love it, but don't eat much of it. ;)

Bonny
11-27-2015, 11:27 AM
You forgot kechup
Hmmmm, that's okay. A small bottle of ketchup will last us 3 plus years. LOL

2BNTV
11-27-2015, 04:05 PM
Being a diabetic myself, I don't impose my restrictions on other people. I can choose something healthy or not go to a restaurant, at all.

My choice!

BTW - I'll have cheesecake for dessert! LOL

goodtimesintv
11-27-2015, 05:01 PM
We have neighbors with whom we're too embarrassed to dine out anymore.

Certain ingredients are suspect (nobody else has heard of these causing problems), and they think nothing of sending the servers back to the kitchen to "ask the chef" several times about suspect condiment ingredients they don't even have to put on their salad or sandwich.

They could simply order oil and vinegar for the salad, and not use the condiment on their sandwich. But no. Everyone is made to hear the twice as loud voice preaching about the evils of certain ingredients, as if they should be sent to a crime lab.

They're oblivious to social cues. Dinner's not supposed to be a courtroom prosecution.

Ecuadog
11-27-2015, 06:46 PM
We have neighbors with whom we're too embarrassed to dine out anymore. ...

Bad company can ruin a meal faster than bad food.

Taltarzac725
11-28-2015, 03:23 AM
Bad company can ruin a meal faster than bad food.

That's quite true.

goodtimesintv
11-29-2015, 02:49 PM
So.....

What "specialness" of dietary superiority (not medically diagnosed food allergies etc.) did somebody display over Thanksgiving at your dinner table?

We were told by the 25-year-old that the veggie tray seedless cucumber slices (which are not waxed/rubbery but long and wrapped and crisp) were "horrible GMO stuff and we don't eat that and you shouldn't either".

Silly me. Plant grafting hybrids have been grown for centuries.

It was a beautiful veggie tray lovingly made.

pooh
11-29-2015, 06:12 PM
Those of you with food allergies or who suffer with celiac disease, please know these next statements are not for you.

10 SIMPLE TRUTHS ABOUT FOOD

1. No single ingredient of food can cause cancer.
2. No single food can cause cancer.
3. There is no such thing as a super food.
4. Juice is yummy, but it is still just juice.
5. Eating anything in excess is bad for you. Remember: the dose makes the poison, not the ingredient.
6. The more you stress about food, the less enjoyment you'll have in life...and that sucks.
7. You are not what you eat. PERIOD.
8. Foods do not involve morality. It's food. Get over it if you think eating something makes you a good or bad person.
9. IT IS JUST FOOD,
10. Eat in moderation.

Dr. Charles Payet

goodtimesintv
11-29-2015, 06:24 PM
Those of you with food allergies or who suffer with celiac disease, please know these next statements are not for you.

10 SIMPLE TRUTHS ABOUT FOOD

1. No single ingredient of food can cause cancer.
2. No single food can cause cancer.
3. There is no such thing as a super food.
4. Juice is yummy, but it is still just juice.
5. Eating anything in excess is bad for you. Remember: the dose makes the poison, not the ingredient.
6. The more you stress about food, the less enjoyment you'll have in life...and that sucks.
7. You are not what you eat. PERIOD.
8. Foods do not involve morality. It's food. Get over it if you think eating something makes you a good or bad person.
9. IT IS JUST FOOD,
10. Eat in moderation.

Dr. Charles Payet

Like!