PDA

View Full Version : Hunting Sandhill Cranes

deano_hoosier
11-29-2015, 05:58 AM
I knew Sandhill Cranes were hunted in TN and KY. This website link is about a commercial hunting business in Oklahoma and Kansas.

Puts a different light on the big birds we see around here.

Crane Wreckers - Home (http://cranewreckers.com/index.html)

rubicon
11-29-2015, 06:44 AM
Interesting

JGVillages
11-29-2015, 07:49 AM
Really a challange when they basically walk right next to you. Be more sporting if they could shoot back.

Topspinmo
11-29-2015, 08:20 AM
Really a challange when they basically walk right next to you. Be more sporting if they could shoot back.

Or drop bombs!

fred53
11-29-2015, 08:35 AM

if not you must know that pigs/turkeys/cattle don't do much running away either. And if they could all shoot back you'd complain about gun ownership. There is a reason some creatures are "food" and some are not.

fred53
11-29-2015, 08:36 AM
Or drop bombs!

fear.

Topspinmo
11-29-2015, 08:53 AM
fear.

Or have couples Sandhill crane snipers

Pietrina1
11-29-2015, 09:00 AM
Why are you turning NATURE into WAR MACHINES ?
Don't we have enough of that all around us !
Relax and Enjoy their beauty.

Topspinmo
11-29-2015, 09:07 AM
What slaughter! How could you not miss, yep some real sport mans there. What's the limit, till run out of shells.

redwitch
11-29-2015, 09:29 AM
Nauseating.

John_W
11-29-2015, 10:29 AM
I don't know why they call hunting a sport, when only one side knows it's playing.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/lowres.cartoonstock.com/social-issues-moose-goats-hunts-hunters-deer-cgr0308_low.jpg

rubicon
11-29-2015, 11:46 AM
Well one thing comes through quite clearly after reading some of the comments and that is this nation has lost its pioneering spirit and also lost touch with the laws of nature. I guess super markets have spoiled us all.

Apparently if there were an apocalypse as depicted in many movies most of us would starve to death

redwitch
11-29-2015, 11:56 AM
Well one thing comes through quite clearly after reading some of the comments and that is this nation has lost its pioneering spirit and also lost touch with the laws of nature. I guess super markets have spoiled us all.

Apparently if there were an apocalypse as depicted in many movies most of us would starve to death

What does shooting birds with automatic weapons have to do with surviving or having a pioneer spirit? I hunted when I was young with my father. He did not do it for sport but for food, although he would have been the first to admit that he enjoyed the hunt itself. I can camp out with the best of 'em, know how to bait a hook, start a fire, etc. If the need arises, I can survive and protect mine.

Sorry, hunting as a sport and for trophies is nauseating. It has nothing to do with a pioneer spirit or a need for survival.

dbussone
11-29-2015, 12:32 PM
What does shooting birds with automatic weapons have to do with surviving or having a pioneer spirit? I hunted when I was young with my father. He did not do it for sport but for food, although he would have been the first to admit that he enjoyed the hunt itself. I can camp out with the best of 'em, know how to bait a hook, start a fire, etc. If the need arises, I can survive and protect mine.

Sorry, hunting as a sport and for trophies is nauseating. It has nothing to do with a pioneer spirit or a need for survival.

No one is using automatic weapons to shoot birds. It is illegal to own an automatic weapon without a very special government permit.

An automatic weapon is a machine gun. You should know the difference, and probably do.

Barefoot
11-29-2015, 01:50 PM
:agree:

rubicon
11-29-2015, 01:53 PM

Hi redwitch: I understand and agree with what you say and believe we are only talking about differences in degrees. The experiences with your father were common place in the day and many of us stocked our freezers with fish fowl, venison etc.

My theory is with the advent of the movie Bambi people retreated from hunting preferring to stocked their freezers with store bought. Some became radicals (PETA). I am talking about a majority but not all Americans

Recall the uproar when Sarah Palin televised her hunting and dressing skills and dressing after killing a moose. Most of the nation was in an uproar.

People don't hunt and the closest they come to gutting a critter is pulling paper wrapped giblets out of the fowls cavity

So I conclude most have lost their pioneer spirit and they don't have the stomach or desire to duplicate what our fore fathers experienced.

I do not see anything wrong with people hunting for the sport of it except for bona fide protected species because hunting and fishing are a way of conservation and herd control.

Personal Best Regards:

billethkid
11-29-2015, 03:24 PM
If we were watching a viDeo of cattle nose to tail in a chute, where when it was their turn and stuck their head through the opening and were then either shot in the head or hit between the eyes with a sledge hammer that would be called what.
Slaughter. But not barbaric or in humane?

Something equally unpleasant for chickens, pigs, et al?

Topspinmo
11-29-2015, 04:51 PM
No one is using automatic weapons to shoot birds. It is illegal to own an automatic weapon without a very special government permit.

An automatic weapon is a machine gun. You should know the difference, and probably do.

I think she meant semi-automatic.

Topspinmo
11-29-2015, 05:02 PM
There big difference hunting for food cause you are starving and cutting flocks down with semiautomatic and pump shotguns. Those FAs don't looked like they even missed meal. They should only be allowed single shot muzzle loaders and two in blind that might be close to pioneer.

jblum315
11-29-2015, 05:15 PM
Well as we all know, the Morses are bigtime hunters. So I guess it must be OK