PDA

View Full Version : Need a new browser

njbchbum
12-04-2015, 10:37 AM
Okay - so several websites are telling me they no longer support my IE9 browser and that I need to upgrade in order to continue viewing there! The nerve, eh?

So, anyway, am using Windows Vista Home Premium service pack 2 32 bit OS - and I believe my "research" shows that IE10 is not compatible with Vista Home.

I think I prefer using Firefox for the upgraded browser - is there a Firefox browser suitable for use with my Vista Home Premium that is likely to get me access to these hoity-toity websites that no longer appreciate IE9? Or am I left to trial and error? And do ya think that version can be downloaded from the ninite site?

Bonny
12-04-2015, 11:05 AM
Have you tried Google Chrome?

njbchbum
12-04-2015, 11:09 AM
Have you tried Google Chrome?

No, have not, Bonny. Am just not a fan of ANYTHING Google! lol

JoMar
12-04-2015, 11:24 AM
Vista Home......why? Support for that system has been declining for years so trying to merge new technology with old will continue to be frustrating.....at least upgrade to Windows 7 if you can get it and your computer is strong enough to handle it. I use Chrome (Win10) and it is more than adequate. My wife prefers Edge....just a matter of preferences or biasis.

njbchbum
12-04-2015, 11:38 AM
Vista Home......why? Support for that system has been declining for years so trying to merge new technology with old will continue to be frustrating.....at least upgrade to Windows 7 if you can get it and your computer is strong enough to handle it. I use Chrome (Win10) and it is more than adequate. My wife prefers Edge....just a matter of preferences or biasis.

Thanx for your opinion. Am not looking to upgrade beyond a compatible browser.

Polar Bear
12-04-2015, 01:53 PM
Thanx for your opinion. Am not looking to upgrade beyond a compatible browser.

I understand, but Jomar is right. Browser compatibility could be a problem. Also, eliminating Chrome (my personal favorite) further limits your options.

KayakerNC
12-04-2015, 02:05 PM
I understand, but Jomar is right. Browser compatibility could be a problem. Also, eliminating Chrome (my personal favorite) further limits your options.

Well said.
And another vote for Chrome.:eclipsee_gold_cup:

juneroses
12-04-2015, 02:06 PM
Here's a popular download site and the results from a search for browsers specifically compatible with Win Vista. Your preference - Firefox - heads the list in number of downloads, and is highly rated by both editors and users:

Web Browsers for Windows - Free downloads and reviews - CNET Download.com (http://download.cnet.com/windows/web-browsers/?osNamesExact=Windows+Vista)

June

njbchbum
12-04-2015, 02:21 PM

Well said.
And another vote for Chrome.:eclipsee_gold_cup:

Oh well! But thanx for chiming in!

njbchbum
12-04-2015, 02:31 PM
Here's a popular download site and the results from a search for browsers specifically compatible with Win Vista. Your preference - Firefox - heads the list in number of downloads, and is highly rated by both editors and users:

Web Browsers for Windows - Free downloads and reviews - CNET Download.com (http://download.cnet.com/windows/web-browsers/?osNamesExact=Windows+Vista)

June

Thank you juneroses! This looks like what I was looking for! Will give it a whirl when I am feeling a bit more adventurous; today is just not that day - but I know it is in my future! :)

CFrance
12-04-2015, 02:58 PM
Thank you juneroses! This looks like what I was looking for! Will give it a whirl when I am feeling a bit more adventurous; today is just not that day - but I know it is in my future! :)
I agree that CNET is a trustworthy site for downloading browsers. Other than that, go to firefox.org. Make sure it's .org. There are a lot of look-alike places to download browsers that will also result in putting all sorts of other stuff in along with the browser.

Also, be careful what you're clicking Yes to while downloading. For instance, we have our own preference for malware/virus programs and always uncheck whatever the browser says it's going to add.

Good luck! I love Firefox. it's not a memory hog, runs well, won't take over your computer.

obxgal
12-04-2015, 03:07 PM
Hubby has been using Foxfire with Vista for about 2 years now ... no problems.

Arctic Fox
12-04-2015, 03:10 PM
I use Mozilla Firefox for XP, Vista and 7 and have had no problems with any of them

Like you, I am reluctant to update my O.S. if I can avoid it, and Mozilla seems to do a great job of getting Firefox to work with them all

Plus, very easy to sync your favorites if you run more than one computer

rexxfan
12-04-2015, 04:38 PM
Though I am a Chrome fan myself, I've heard it said that Firefox protects your privacy better. It also seems to use less memory than Chrome so if you're constrained in that regard, it'd probably be a good choice. There's a download link for Firefox on Mozilla's homepage at mozilla.org. While I respect the job that ninite.com does, in my opinion it is a best practice to always download things from the publisher's own website.
--
bc

njbchbum
12-04-2015, 07:20 PM
Thanx to all of the FireFox fans for your comments! They boost my confidence in being able to convert! ;)

rexxfan - one of our gurus [now departed] intro'd me to ninite and it has yet to fail me. If this conversion screws up am guessing I can uninstall and follow your advice. I love that ninite goes with the basics and no frufru! :)

njbchbum
12-04-2015, 07:23 PM
obxgal and Artic Fox - Do you know if you are using version 42.0 [the current download available] with Vista or a different version that I should be searching for?

tomwed
12-04-2015, 08:05 PM
Talk about old school. Firefox was Mozilla. Remember Mozilla?
anyway here is the link to Firefox

Download Firefox (http://www.firefox.com)

njbchbum
12-04-2015, 08:14 PM
Talk about old school. Firefox was Mozilla. Remember Mozilla?
anyway here is the link to Firefox

Download Firefox (http://www.firefox.com)

TY, tomwed. Not just old enuf to remember mozilla - also remember the original logo!!! lol

tomwed
12-04-2015, 08:26 PM
I agree that CNET is a trustworthy site for downloading browsers. Other than that, go to firefox.org. Make sure it's .org. There are a lot of look-alike places to download browsers that will also result in putting all sorts of other stuff in along with the browser.

Also, be careful what you're clicking Yes to while downloading. For instance, we have our own preference for malware/virus programs and always uncheck whatever the browser says it's going to add.

Good luck! I love Firefox. it's not a memory hog, runs well, won't take over your computer.
Do not trust Cnet anymore. Google it.

obxgal
12-04-2015, 09:45 PM
obxgal and Artic Fox - Do you know if you are using version 42.0 [the current download available] with Vista or a different version that I should be searching for?

Version 42.0 with his Vista and I also am using it with Windows 7.

tomwed
12-05-2015, 06:46 AM
TY, tomwed. Not just old enuf to remember mozilla - also remember the original logo!!! lol
"You've got mail"
remember that too?
v=gFBLiHpkcOk

dbussone
12-05-2015, 08:33 AM
I have used Firefox for years. Any comments about Google Chrome?

njbchbum
12-05-2015, 11:06 AM
"You've got mail"
remember that too?
v=gFBLiHpkcOk

LOL tomweb! Still have one of those discs that we hang on the Christmas tree! lololololol

rexxfan
12-05-2015, 03:26 PM
Thanx to all of the FireFox fans for your comments! They boost my confidence in being able to convert! ;)

rexxfan - one of our gurus [now departed] intro'd me to ninite and it has yet to fail me. If this conversion screws up am guessing I can uninstall and follow your advice. I love that ninite goes with the basics and no frufru! :)

I use ninite myself, just not for the browser. Ninite is great for the raft of miscellaneous utilities I run from all sorts of small publishers, many of whom outsource their downloads to aggregation sites like download.com, which should be avoided like the plague. But when it comes to major publishers like Google or Mozilla who host their own downloads, I trust the source.
--
bc

Arctic Fox
12-05-2015, 03:44 PM

Yes, I am on 42.0 with Vista - works great

Arctic Fox
12-05-2015, 03:47 PM
"You've got mail"

Lotus 123 - another blast from the past

tomwed
12-05-2015, 04:22 PM
I wonder how many minutes I wasted listening to this?

v=gsNaR6FRuO0

We were very patient. Weren't we?

outlaw
12-05-2015, 05:32 PM
Why not just go to mozilla and download ff from there?

zcaveman
12-05-2015, 07:28 PM
Why not just go to mozilla and download ff from there?

That is what I do. CNET and Download.com have given me problems - add-ons, sales, malware. I feel safer going to the source site to get my downloads these days.

Z

capecoralbill
01-26-2016, 10:16 AM
Hi, Not sure what's wrong with my win 7 Toshiba laptop, running IE 10.
should I upgrade my browser to IE 11, or one of the above mentioned browsers such as Firefox, or Chrome ?
I often get the message "TOTV is not responding due to a long running script" Is the fault of my Browser, or Comcast wifi speed, or some other gremlin? Thanks for any insights. Bill

tomwed
01-26-2016, 10:23 AM
What are you using for virus protection?
click here (http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/security-essentials-download)

I trust microsoft. You cannot use more than 1 anti-virus program. They think the other is a virus.
I have windows 8, so I'm not sure if they keep up security essentials. look it up.

CFrance
01-26-2016, 10:24 AM
I use the latest version of Firefox (downloaded from mozilla.org) and have never had that problem with my Windows 7 Toshiba laptop.

However... there is a new problem playing You Tube with Firefox. I heard they have partnered with You Tube to use a certain video player, which constantly buffers. I googled it, and you have to tell Firefox to use Flash instead. I'm not quite sure how to do that, so waiting for my techie son to do it in March.

You might want to try Chrome. But I love Firefox and rarely have problems with it. I look forward to my son fixing the You Tube problem.

capecoralbill
01-26-2016, 04:18 PM
Well, My earlier post around 10AM said how slow etc my laptop is. Guess what, now it is 4 PM and it happily zipping along. Maybe my problem is with Comcast. Bill

romanpaula
01-27-2016, 08:04 AM
Vista?? Why? Try Windows 10 and Microsoft Edge browser. Vista is long outdated and NO LONGER SUPPORTED. Your computer will behave badly since no one worries about making their program work on Vista.

Always go to latest and greatest (once stability is proven of course).

Marathon Man
01-27-2016, 09:14 AM
I am a Chrome use. IE just started giving me too many problems.

CFrance
01-27-2016, 09:37 AM
I have used Firefox for years. Any comments about Google Chrome?
The only thing I have heard negative about Chrome is that it is a HUGE program.

I have one of the early solid state laptops (Toshiba Portege), and Firefox suits me fine and takes up less space. My Toshiba does not have a gazillion gigabytes.

I could be wrong, of course.

tomwed
01-27-2016, 10:04 AM
The only thing I have heard negative about Chrome is that it is a HUGE program.

I have one of the early solid state laptops (Toshiba Portege), and Firefox suits me fine and takes up less space. My Toshiba does not have a gazillion gigabytes.

I could be wrong, of course.
I think you are. Chrome is very stable. Firefox is also wonderful.

A chromebook works a little like your vista and firefox set-up. It's just enough of an operating system to use for what you really want to use, Firefox.

Sooner or later it will die. The hard drive is a motor and the fan in the power supply is also is on a motor. All motors wear out.

CFrance
01-27-2016, 10:15 AM
I think you are. Chrome is very stable. Firefox is also wonderful.

A chromebook works a little like your vista and firefox set-up. It's just enough of an operating system to use for what you really want to use, Firefox.

Sooner or later it will die. The hard drive is a motor and the fan in the power supply is also is on a motor. All motors wear out.
I was referring to memory hogging, and Chrome wins that race. From an ITPRO article last November, regarding Chrome:

That doesn’t mean it’s good, however. Overall, it’s still the most memory-hungry browser we tested, beating IE by a hair’s breadth. Firefox was considerably less demanding than either, tying up an average of 412,000KB compared to the almost 600,000kb eaten up by Chrome and IE.
Read more: Which is the best browser?: Chrome vs Firefox vs Internet Explorer | IT PRO (http://www.itpro.co.uk/web-browsers/24796/which-is-the-best-browser-chrome-vs-firefox-vs-internet-explorer-2#ixzz3ySSTuolb)

tomwed
01-27-2016, 10:28 AM
I was referring to memory hogging, and Chrome wins that race. From an ITPRO article last November, regarding Chrome:

That doesn’t mean it’s good, however. Overall, it’s still the most memory-hungry browser we tested, beating IE by a hair’s breadth. Firefox was considerably less demanding than either, tying up an average of 412,000KB compared to the almost 600,000kb eaten up by Chrome and IE.
Read more: Which is the best browser?: Chrome vs Firefox vs Internet Explorer | IT PRO (http://www.itpro.co.uk/web-browsers/24796/which-is-the-best-browser-chrome-vs-firefox-vs-internet-explorer-2#ixzz3ySSTuolb)

This might be a fix:
Why Chrome Uses So Much Freaking RAM (http://lifehacker.com/why-chrome-uses-so-much-freaking-ram-1702537477)

That is if you like Chrome in the first place.

ednetdl
01-27-2016, 10:50 AM
I use Chrome and IE11, and I prefer Chrome for most things. In my business I have programmed an app to work on clients browsers and I have recommended they use Chrome, due to less problems. It's a free download, why not just try it and see what you think, assuming you have enough room on your hard drive.