PDA

View Full Version : Apple iMac

jrandall
12-05-2015, 11:45 AM
After using Windows based PCs for more than 30 years, I am considering going to an iMac. I am fed up with the problems I have had with my PCs. My current Dell is kaput. I am going to have to make a purchase if the PC repair person can't resolve my current problem. Something got to my current PC and I can't even log on now. When I could log on a few days ago whatever got to the system prevented my McAffee software from working. It won't even execute. 😒 So, I am looking for feedback regarding the iMac. I am hopeful that it will provide more consistent and stable service. Thanks in advance for your help.

biker1
12-05-2015, 12:18 PM
Buy a refurbished iMac from the Apple website. It will come with the standard 1 year warranty and save you about 15% or so. The OS is essentially Unix under the covers and essentially immune to viruses. You will never look back. If you don't really need a desktop (and most people don't) buy an iPad.

After using Windows based PCs for more than 30 years, I am considering going to an iMac. I am fed up with the problems I have had with my PCs. My current Dell is kaput. I am going to have to make a purchase if the PC repair person can't resolve my current problem. Something got to my current PC and I can't even log on now. When I could log on a few days ago whatever got to the system prevented my McAffee software from working. It won't even execute. �� So, I am looking for feedback regarding the iMac. I am hopeful that it will provide more consistent and stable service. Thanks in advance for your help.

TNLAKEPANDA
12-05-2015, 12:52 PM
I went through the same thing as you and although I keep a Windows computer on hand for some business apps I never use it.

Once you go Mac you will never go Back. Learning curve is pretty easy and if you are getting a laptop the mouse pad is Awesome. There is nothing like it in the Windows world!

Warning the new MacBook Airs do not have USB or SD slots. Not sure why they did that. I would go with a Mac Book Pro. I have an older MacBook Air and other than a short battery live it runs like new. If you have an iPad and iPhone they all communicate with each other!

Good luck

debow
12-05-2015, 01:23 PM
I switched about 10 years ago. No regrets!

Northerner52
12-05-2015, 02:39 PM
Been a Mac user since 1984. Watched Windows users get frustrated and victims for overt 100,000 virus'. I agree with the Apple refurbished. Thats's what I buy. You can add three years for Applecare for hardware and toll free support too. But if you want new go that route. The Genius Bar at Apple stores is hard to beat but far away.

Apple Refurbished iMacs' here (http://www.apple.com/shop/browse/home/specialdeals/mac/imac/21)

Used resellers: Used MacBook Pro Laptops, Mac Towers, iMacs & More! (http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/Apple_Systems/Used/Macs_and_Tablets)

https://www.expercom.com

Deals: Best Mac, iPhone, and iPad Deals Online (http://www.dealmac.com)

eBay, buy from highly rate only

Northerner52
12-05-2015, 02:40 PM
Been a Mac user since 1984. Watched Windows users get frustrated and victims of over 100,000 virus'. I agree with the Apple refurbished. Thats's what I buy. You can add three years for Applecare for hardware and toll free support too. But if you want new go that route. The Genius Bar at Apple stores is hard to beat but far away.

Apple Refurbished iMacs' here (http://www.apple.com/shop/browse/home/specialdeals/mac/imac/21)

Used resellers: Used MacBook Pro Laptops, Mac Towers, iMacs & More! (http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/Apple_Systems/Used/Macs_and_Tablets)

https://www.expercom.com

Deals: Best Mac, iPhone, and iPad Deals Online (http://www.dealmac.com)

eBay, buy from highly rate only

Nucky
12-05-2015, 02:58 PM
If you must cut corners somewhere else to buy an Apple please do it. My desktop Mac has given me 5 plus years of flawless use. The occasional updates will please you after what you've gone thru with your old system. My brother in law worked for Dell & my sister for Hewlett Packard and I have a family discount available....still mac #1. Good Luck. Nice early present. Ho Ho Ho!

JGVillages
12-05-2015, 03:55 PM
About 6 years ago my PC was a virus magnet even with the anti-virus software installed. Decided to get an iMac and I have never looked back. Never had a virus issue, and no anti-virus software is installed. I took the Apple Care initailly because I thought it may be helpful transitioning from PC to Mac. Though I used it a few times (P.S. Their Customer Service speaks english!) the conversion was realitively trouble free. The Villages has an Apple Club that can answer any question you may come up with, and has regular meetings covering all Apple products.

MikeV
12-05-2015, 04:04 PM
I was an MCSE (Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer) in my prior life. I retired in January of 2006. The first thing I did after leaving my job was to go out and buy a Mac Book Pro. I am using it right now and it still looks and operates like new. I will never ever go back to Windows even though I made a great living working with Windows.

goodtimesintv
12-05-2015, 04:23 PM
Get a New MacBook and forget about that Windows junk. There's nothing like a Mac even after 30+ years of Windows attempts to duplicate Mac on a PC never meant to do that.

theorem painter
12-05-2015, 06:39 PM
I have been a Mac user for over 20 years. Although more expensive, you get what you pay for. They are very user friendly. If I have ever had a problem I have gone to the Apple web site and have always found a solution. Your choice is really a no-brainer.

RVRoadie
12-05-2015, 07:53 PM
You won't regret it. The first few weeks won't go a smoothly as you might hope, because it is a very different system. A year from now you will still be asking yourself why you waited so long.

trenbarg12
12-05-2015, 09:16 PM
There is a learning curve to the Mac, but after a week or so you will be glad you switched. I have had a couple of problems with my Mac... I called Applecare both times even out of warranty, and they walked me thru the problem... and no charge. Viruses are not be worried about in the Mac's . Join an Apple club here in the Villages and learn to manipulate pictures, etc. Go for it!

pookieroo
12-05-2015, 11:02 PM
HELP HELP HELP! I apologize for being stupid but I need to post a new thread. How do I do it?

RVRoadie
12-05-2015, 11:04 PM
My wife's five year old iMac started acting up a couple of years ago so I took it down to the Apple Store in Orlando. They determined that the hard drive was failing, and charged me $250 to replace it (with a drive double the original size). I thought it was a reasonable charge, since it was well past the warranty date.

More than a year goes by and I get a letter from Apple explaining that the original drive was substandard, and they refunded me the entire $250 repair charge.

Not many companies would do that.

zcaveman
12-06-2015, 07:19 AM
HELP HELP HELP! I apologize for being stupid but I need to post a new thread. How do I do it?

Access the forum you want to post in and click on the red Start New Topic at the top.

Z

malbe
12-06-2015, 08:41 AM
QVC has a one day special on the Apple MacBook Pro 13.3. With their holiday return policy, you can return an item until January 31, 2016. This will give you enough time to try it and see if you like it. Also it is on 6 easy payments. QVC item E228563.

Northerner52
12-06-2015, 08:49 AM

The 'start new topic' red button link is not on the 'New Posts' link. One has to go to the home page, scroll down to find the forum you want to post in, open it, and then the RED start new topic button is visable.

lanemb
12-07-2015, 07:50 PM
I too switched to the MAC products after many years using and supporting PC based applications. Now I am a full believer. I open my Macbook Pro, type in my password and it is ready to go. I still have a PC and every time I turn it on to use it I have to spend at least a half hour to let it boot and update. I will never go back to a Microsoft based operating system.

twopjt
12-15-2015, 04:42 PM
Hi June,
'I feel your pain'.
Bought my first AT for business in the 70's - we thought we had the world by the tail. Have owned dozens of PC's since and still have a 4 year old Dell laptop for quick books and quicken - you don't want to try the Apple versions of $ software! Kids drug me kicking and screaming into the apple cult two years ago and I couldn't be happier. From my experience you'll mostly figure it out on your own. I had an occasional call to a kid. But TV users group is amazing. Try them. And for me, the Mac is comforting - I'm sitting down trying to accomplish something. My wife is on her second iPad but that's just not for me.

jrandall
12-21-2015, 11:20 PM
I did it. Still learning but I think I will be happy with the new iMac.

Jima64
12-22-2015, 08:04 AM
you will enjoy the mac. It is on my wish list so for now i switched out of IE and only use Chrome based programs.

Avista
12-22-2015, 02:37 PM
I did it. Still learning but I think I will be happy with the new iMac.

David A Cox has some great tutorials on the Mac. Here is one to start you off.
El Capitan OSX Tutorial - TechTalk America (http://techtalkamerica.com/el-capitan-osx-tutorial/)

Miles42
01-08-2016, 01:10 AM
Anyone using an imac for photo processing?

photo1902
01-08-2016, 06:02 AM
Yes. I've use it all the time. I have Photoshop CS for that purpose.

OldManTime
01-08-2016, 09:01 AM
After using Windows based PCs for more than 30 years, I am considering going to an iMac. I am fed up with the problems I have had with my PCs. My current Dell is kaput. I am going to have to make a purchase if the PC repair person can't resolve my current problem. Something got to my current PC and I can't even log on now. When I could log on a few days ago whatever got to the system prevented my McAffee software from working. It won't even execute. 😒 So, I am looking for feedback regarding the iMac. I am hopeful that it will provide more consistent and stable service. Thanks in advance for your help.

Smart move, going to an iMac. I have used both platforms, i still can't figure out why anyone in there right mind wants to deal with all the hoops to jump through using a PC. I have 4 Mac computers, 1 iPad, and an iPhone, all run smoothly. So what ever you buy, can't go wrong with a Mac. I personally like the Mini Mac's, and use a Vizio 42" HDTV for my monitor.
P.S. I haven't run antivirus software since 1998., and my favorite Mac was built in 2003

Biker Dog
01-08-2016, 09:08 AM
Your Windows PC problem is McAffee. If you get it fixed uninstall McAffee and install Defender.