PDA

View Full Version : Is anyone using nextdoor.com to connect with your neighborhood?

Boomer
12-11-2015, 09:02 AM
I just caught the end of an interview on the Today Show with Sarah Leary who started nextdoor.com (I usually watch CBS because I have a thing for Charlie Rose, but this morning I was channel surfing.)

The idea is to be able to connect just within your neighborhood. In both of my neighborhoods (TV and the northern one) we communicate by group emails. I have a friend who lives in a small retirement community where, years ago, they set up a site like this for just them. It really keeps them connected.

I would like to learn more about nextdoor.com and I thought maybe someone here might be using it and would not mind sharing what they like or do not like about it.

Thanks.

alwann
12-11-2015, 09:34 AM
We use it in Gilchrist and have been doing so for about a year. It's an effective communications channel for bringing our neighborhood together for social events, helping hands and breaking news, etc. Pretty easy to learn the basic operation but also offers many additional features.

villagetinker
12-11-2015, 09:35 AM
There are several villages on Nextdoor in TV. Be careful of your settings, otherwise you will get LOTs of emails. I changed a few settings, and get just the right amount.
This is like a small scale TOTV, fairly simple to use. I respond to questions or requests for help, etc.

justjim
12-11-2015, 10:33 AM
The Village of Sanibel has a good one and it started as Bradford Loop neighborhood. They tend to expand and have lots of "for sale" items. A lot of people find them usefu.

MikeV
12-11-2015, 11:00 AM
Charlotte has one also.

carolmarion
12-11-2015, 04:52 PM
Duval has one.

JoMar
12-11-2015, 07:32 PM
Hillsborough has one

kfierle
12-11-2015, 07:34 PM
I set one up for my villa neighborhood in Bonita about a month ago. Seems to be working well.

asianthree
12-11-2015, 08:04 PM
We have been using the site for a few months, easy to keep up news in your village

Jgg7933
12-11-2015, 08:16 PM
I just caught the end of an interview on the Today Show with Sarah Leary who started nextdoor.com (I usually watch CBS because I have a thing for Charlie Rose, but this morning I was channel surfing.)

The idea is to be able to connect just within your neighborhood. In both of my neighborhoods (TV and the northern one) we communicate by group emails. I have a friend who lives in a small retirement community where, years ago, they set up a site like this for just them. It really keeps them connected.

I would like to learn more about nextdoor.com and I thought maybe someone here might be using it and would not mind sharing what they like or do not like about it.

Thanks.

Last February I started a group facebook account for our Courtyard Villa section and it is fabulous! No annoying pop ups and it is a Closed Group. You need to assign an administrator and only the admin can approve someone getting on the site. No one from outside our group can view our page and as people move out they get deleted from the page. We currently have 61 members on our page and the Villa section has 85 homes. MOST people are already on facebook so the learning curve is short. Members can post and see all posts made by their neighbors. We use it for reminders to activities, store important files like our directory on it and keeping it all updated is simple since it is all updated from 1 access point. Consider facebook, its GREAT!

Barefoot
12-11-2015, 11:21 PM
I just caught the end of an interview on the Today Show with Sarah Leary who started nextdoor.com?

How would I search to see if there is already a nextdoor.com connection set up for the Village of Belvedere?
Or do we need to search by street name?

rubicon
12-12-2015, 06:32 AM
We have a neighborhood newsletter

Challenger
12-12-2015, 08:37 AM
How would I search to see if there is already a nextdoor.com connection set up for the Village of Belvedere?
Or do we need to search by street name?

just go to nextdoor.com and follow the directions

KathieI
12-12-2015, 10:11 AM
Right after seeing that segment on the Today show, I get a card from the Village of St. Charles that they are using it. Otherwise, I never would have known what it was. Nice of them to send a card.
(PS, I don't live in St. Charles but I pick up my ex-husbands mail for him.)

KathieI
12-12-2015, 10:15 AM
I just checked the website and see that Caroline is using it.