PDA

View Full Version : Patio Heater

Newbeginnings
12-19-2015, 07:25 AM
We have a large lanai that is screened under roof, we would like some type of portable heating for parties. Please respond if you have a heater of some type, would like to know what you are using, where you bought it, and how effective is it, how many BTU's?

notdeadyet
12-19-2015, 08:50 AM
I don't know if a propane heater is safe for your use, but if you hear that it is, I have a table top/floor heater. I bought it and never used it, and now have moved to a place where I can't use it.
If you'd like to try it, I have the propane cannisters too. If you like it you can have it for $50.
PM me if you're interested.

graciegirl
12-19-2015, 09:13 AM
If you are trying to find heat for the not too long a cool season, maybe you should just do what a lot of us do and schedule smaller gatherings for when it's cold.

I imagine you are having a Christmas or New Years large party. Most of those are held by someone here when they are relatively new.

Then we find that isolated warm spots don't really solve the coolishness outdoors.

Just a little advice.

Merry Christmas.

NavyNJ
12-19-2015, 09:47 AM
We have a large lanai that is screened under roof, we would like some type of portable heating for parties. Please respond if you have a heater of some type, would like to know what you are using, where you bought it, and how effective is it, how many BTU's?

We've used various models/styles of these type heaters for years - both on our deck at home (in NJ) and under tents at football tailgates in the Fall/Winter. The 2 basic styles we used, mainly for variety, but also for different conditions & settings, were the tall, stand-up style often used at restaurants on their patios, and the smaller "fire pit" style that usually had some sort of stone material in the "pit" to retain some of the heat. Both worked well, and the fire pit style was great for sitting around on the deck with friends. The stand-up style did well on the deck as well, but also under several 8x10 or 10x12 tents we would put together for tailgates.

The stand-up styles are usually in the 40K-50K BTU range, and the fire pits are somewhat less. Both use standard BBQ-size propane tanks that last for quite a while. Both are available at Lowe's/HD, or online at Amazon and are in the $125-175 range.

Here are some pics of the ones I'm describing:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/91gbd2DDI-L._SL1500_.jpg

http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/productImages/1000/f2/f22c7d45-fd44-47ee-b8d6-1457274221fe_1000.jpg

Good luck!! And have fun!!

dewilson58
12-19-2015, 10:45 AM
I agree with Navy. We use the stand-up style.

George Bieniaszek
12-19-2015, 10:56 AM
I also agree with Navy. We have the tall stand up heater and it does a great job keeping you comfortable on a chilly day, as long as it isn't too breezy.

We bought ours from Lowes on line when they had a sale and got it for $99 including free shipping.

NavyNJ
12-19-2015, 12:56 PM
I also agree with Navy. We have the tall stand up heater and it does a great job keeping you comfortable on a chilly day, as long as it isn't too breezy.

We bought ours from Lowes on line when they had a sale and got it for $99 including free shipping.

GB - You're right about the windy, breezy conditions reducing the effectiveness. We used to use tent wall panels when it got time to use the heaters at tailgates to keep the wind out and the heat in. I can tell you, even 1 of those stand-up models got our combined tents really toasty! Hell, we had people stepping outside to get some "fresh" air, and people inside taking layers off all the way to T-shirts! We'll definitely be getting another one after we settle into our new digs soon! Have a great Xmas & New Year's!!

Newbeginnings
12-20-2015, 07:02 AM
If you are trying to find heat for the not too long a cool season, maybe you should just do what a lot of us do and schedule smaller gatherings for when it's cold.

I imagine you are having a Christmas or New Years large party. Most of those are held by someone here when they are relatively new.

Then we find that isolated warm spots don't really solve the coolishness outdoors.

Just a little advice.

Merry Christmas.

Not that new, just a another new home, the 3rd in The Villages. Yes, we have large parties, just wanted to know from those with experience using patio heaters. Thank-you for your advice.