PDA

View Full Version : Banks

Kepple
10-11-2008, 01:35 PM
This question has probably been asked before, but up here in OH we shop around for the best deal on mortgages. TV sales people all assume we will use Citizens. Is that because they are always the best deal?? Or does it still pay to shop around. They seem like nice people to deal with, but I'm used to choices. Any thoughts???

mac9
10-11-2008, 08:26 PM
Citizens does not always have the best rate. When we bought 2 years ago, they were at 6.35% which seemed high to me. We went to our regular bank and got 4.97%. It does pay to shop particularly if you have a 790 or higher credit rating. Citizens is just convenient and the sales department will remind you of stiff penalties if you don't settle on the exact date,thus trying to push Citizens. Just let your bank know that the settlement date is non-negotiable and they will work with you.

tucson
10-11-2008, 08:31 PM
I went with my bank (Bank Of America) much better rates and no closing fees because Iwas already a customer of theirs. They were MUCH more knowledgeable and more professional than the person I talked to at Citizen's at LSL.

colleenj
10-12-2008, 09:30 AM
I have to agree with the others. While Citizens might be convenient for Village Realty it may or may not have the best deal. I dealt with a mortage company here in the Northeast, with a person I already knew and trusted and the money was in my account and able to be wired to TV on the day I closed so there were no issues. Shop around- if you have a great credit rating there are choices out there.

Kepple
10-12-2008, 10:14 AM
I love this site! Thanks for sharing all your great information. Sorry it took so long to respond. We leave Tuesday for TV and have been busy packing. Wish us luck in our househunting. I have a feeling there will be lots of choices this year.

thegreenerside
10-12-2008, 04:15 PM
TV sales people all assume we will use Citizens. Is that because they are always the best deal??

Citizens Bank is owned by the same family that you are buying your home from.

Skip
10-13-2008, 01:29 PM
Citizens Bank is owned by the same family that you are buying your home from.

Talk about all the eggs in one basket!

Skip