PDA

View Full Version : Some Holiday advice I just heard on Fox News.

graciegirl
12-20-2015, 11:54 AM
They said it would be wise not to discuss politics or religion when you are together with family during the holidays as it makes people tense. We knew that. I guess it bears repeating.

You heard it here. BE GOOD Y'ALL.

graciegirl
12-20-2015, 12:24 PM
I am just teasing you all a little, but it did remind me to try not to discuss the world events with the fam.

I wasn't really telling you what to do. I want to wish you all the very happiest time you can have. I hope you will not be alone and I hope all of you will have a really yummy meal and a couple of nice surprises. Drive carefully.

Hugs to all.

Gracie.

manaboutown
12-20-2015, 12:45 PM
Thank you for the reminder, GG. That has always been my policy for any family get together, any time of year.

goodtimesintv
12-20-2015, 09:45 PM
Not to worry......Harvard has given placemats having PC talking points to freshmen, on how to talk to their dumb ole parents and grandparents at Christmas dinner.

The Office for Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion at Harvard University distributed what it is calling “Holiday Placemats for Social Justice” on campus to help freshmen students navigate difficult conversations when they return home for Christmas break.

The placemat, a copy of which was obtained by Campus Reform, offers students tips for talking to their family members about controversial topics such as “Black Murders in the Street,” “House Master Title,” and “Islamophobia/Refugees.” The placemat, divided into four possible topics of conversation, provides students with a series of sample questions they may encounter when they return home to their families along with an acceptable response to each question......

Harvard Placemat Serves Up Social Justice For Christmas
Harvard placemat serves up social justice for Christmas (http://www.campusreform.org/?ID=7093)

NYGUY
12-20-2015, 10:06 PM
Good advice Gracie, and all our best to you and yours for a Very Merry Christmas!!

Mleeja
12-20-2015, 10:41 PM
If someone wants to discuss politics to they change from uncle Joe to "guest"?

Villageswimmer
12-21-2015, 08:36 AM
Not to worry......Harvard has given placemats having PC talking points to freshmen, on how to talk to their dumb ole parents and grandparents at Christmas dinner.

The Office for Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion at Harvard University distributed what it is calling “Holiday Placemats for Social Justice” on campus to help freshmen students navigate difficult conversations when they return home for Christmas break.

The placemat, a copy of which was obtained by Campus Reform, offers students tips for talking to their family members about controversial topics such as “Black Murders in the Street,” “House Master Title,” and “Islamophobia/Refugees.” The placemat, divided into four possible topics of conversation, provides students with a series of sample questions they may encounter when they return home to their families along with an acceptable response to each question......

Harvard Placemat Serves Up Social Justice For Christmas
Harvard placemat serves up social justice for Christmas (http://www.campusreform.org/?ID=7093)

Wow. And I thought the goal of higher education was to teach students how to think for themselves.

Boomer
12-21-2015, 08:53 AM
We are a loving family but the dynamics of conversation could turn into a sitcom script at best or an over-the-top drama at worst.....

Therefore, a few years ago, one of my sisters-in-law would voice a really loud buzzer sound whenever the conversation began to veer in an uncomfortable and useless direction.

She trained everybody beautifully with humor........ Maybe some of you might want to start practicing making buzzer-noises. But be careful not to get laryngitis.

DonH57
12-21-2015, 09:57 AM
I don't know which is worse the worst discussion at the dinner table, politics or peoples' ailments.

xcaligirl
12-21-2015, 10:02 AM
Wishing you a very Merry Christmas and a happier New Year! Thanks Gracie Girl!!

Bruiser1
12-21-2015, 01:32 PM
They said it would be wise not to discuss politics or religion when you are together with family during the holidays as it makes people tense. We knew that. I guess it bears repeating.

You heard it here. BE GOOD Y'ALL.

What if talking about your family makes you tense. Is there a placemat for that?

And don't talk about the weather unless it's normal for this time of year!

784caroline
12-21-2015, 04:20 PM
Gracie...I always thought of it as a trio....Religion, politics and sex. Not sure what comes first (or last) here in The Villages !!

CritterLover
12-21-2015, 04:49 PM
Great advice! My husband, bless his little heart, can be a wee bit obnoxious when it comes to politics. Challenge him and he tends to just get louder! I'd love to pull out the air horn. Of course, it is more interesting than Aunt So and So competing with Uncle Whosit over their health concerns :)

Topspinmo
12-21-2015, 05:56 PM
Wow. And I thought the goal of higher education was to teach students how to think for themselves.

Wrong. It's a brainwashing experience. HEY, teacher LEAVE THOSE kids ALONE!:beer3: