PDA

View Full Version : Meat Producers Allowed to Have a Secret

Warren Kiefer
01-06-2016, 04:22 PM
Can anyone explain to me why Congress just voted to allow meat producers to not put information on meat packages telling consumers where the animal was raised and the meat produced. I for one would like to know if the meat I purchase is produced in America or a third world country.

buzzy
01-06-2016, 04:35 PM
meat lobby

graciegirl
01-06-2016, 05:21 PM
Sen. Stabenow Calls for Voluntary Country-of-Origin Labels on Meat - Washington Wire - WSJ (http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2015/06/25/sen-stabenow-calls-for-voluntary-country-of-origin-labels-on-meat/)

tomwed
01-06-2016, 07:27 PM
Can anyone explain to me why Congress just voted to allow meat producers to not put information on meat packages telling consumers where the animal was raised and the meat produced. I for one would like to know if the meat I purchase is produced in America or a third world country.
"Lawmakers said they had no choice but to get rid of the labels after the World Trade Organization repeatedly ruled against them. The WTO recently authorized Canada and Mexico, which had challenged the law, to begin more than $1 billion in economic retaliation against the United States"
Consumers won't know meat origin after US ends labeling law | PhillyVoice (http://www.phillyvoice.com/consumers-meat-origin-us-ends-labeling-law/)

DonH57
01-06-2016, 09:59 PM
A horse is a horse of course, of course unless his name is Mr Ed!

rubicon
01-07-2016, 06:43 AM
a part of it is politic but there is also the real question of increased costs to consumers because of some of the demands made by government on labeling . but like so many issues today its seems to be all noise

I'll admit to be an offender and i seldom look at a label in any real detail. I want to know what type of meat, what grade of meat and the price per pound.
At this age whatever I consumed hasn't killed me yet and I still manage a decent work out at the gym...I seek nutrition primarily that and I seek succor

CFrance
01-07-2016, 08:20 AM
If you really want to know where your meat is coming from, I guess you'll have to buy it locally now. The place in Ocala is wonderful--OCF (The Organic Chef's Foods). I know there are others.

Jima64
01-07-2016, 08:25 AM
you cannot know where the beef is from but they will gladly tell you who made the clothes or furniture. Much more important.

Allegiance
01-07-2016, 09:22 AM
Racketeering

graciegirl
01-07-2016, 09:41 AM
Racketeering

Please 'splain.

And CFrance, I am not convinced that buying meat locally is good for you. It hasn't been inspected or subjected to the standards and restrictions that say, Publix or Winn Dixie or Krogers or Wegemans has to meet for cleanliness and cooling for starters.

tomwed
01-07-2016, 11:27 AM
If you really want to know where your meat is coming from, I guess you'll have to buy it locally now. The place in Ocala is wonderful--OCF (The Organic Chef's Foods). I know there are others.
That's exactly what I thought of. If I was OCF, I'd be tickled "rare".

crustybaker
01-07-2016, 12:44 PM
It is because of the North American Free Trade Agreement. America was found guilty of performing Unfair Trade Practice under this Agreement, by the World Trade Organization.

Crustybaker

Warren Kiefer
01-09-2016, 12:30 PM
DON'T WE aMERICANS COUNT FOR ANYTHING?? I am not interested in meat produced in Tailand !!!