PDA

View Full Version : Garage Doors open on their own

jim45tn
01-10-2016, 08:49 AM
In the last week both of my garage doors have opened on their own.
The first time was the cart garage door. I reset the door opener, cleared out the codes and reprogrammed the remotes. Now the car side door has the same problem. I know these are not rolling code openers but is this a problem in the villages. The home is only 8 months old- Dunedin area. Has anyone else had this problem and maybe a solution?

kstew43
01-10-2016, 09:53 AM
we are having the same problem and we live in a 8 year old home in the Plantations.

Twice in 7 days..... much more frequent after 7 years of owning our home...or so I though?

passed years experiences... I thought I forgot to close the door behind me....but when i was actually in the attic and the door closes on me...I realized it's not my mind going....it the garage door ghost...

we just decided to pull the plug on the garage door and use the front door and leave the cars in the driveway.

I would just hate to leave for months at a time, like we do...and come home to a empty garage.

trichard
01-10-2016, 10:22 AM
It has happened a number of times in our neighborhood. It turned out to be caused by the key remote from a Hyndai car. Solution was to change the garage codes.

Phanatic Luvr
01-10-2016, 10:26 AM
It has happened a number of times in our neighborhood. It turned out to be caused by the key remote from a Hyndai car. Solution was to change the garage codes.

Interesting .... I used to have a Hyundai and I would open a neighbors garage door 3 houses down. She had her code changed and it never happened again. We always thought is was me hitting my opener early so the door would be open when I pulled up.

Phanatic Luvr
01-10-2016, 10:27 AM
In the last week both of my garage doors have opened on their own.
The first time was the cart garage door. I reset the door opener, cleared out the codes and reprogrammed the remotes. Now the car side door has the same problem. I know these are not rolling code openers but is this a problem in the villages. The home is only 8 months old- Dunedin area. Has anyone else had this problem and maybe a solution?

I know this isn't long term solution but .... you are aware you can lock them down with the little lock / unlock switch, found under the up and down buttons on the garage wall right?

villagetinker
01-10-2016, 10:47 AM
I know this isn't long term solution but .... you are aware you can lock them down with the little lock / unlock switch, found under the up and down buttons on the garage wall right?

Phanatic Luvr, you beat me to it. We use the little switch religiously, every night, these doors are locked by that switch. I did do some research on replacing the MVP controls, and found no solutions, unless the entire opener is replaced. Also, while I cannot confirm, I have heard of "contractor codes" being used in the garage doors during construction, but if the unit was reprogrammed these should have been removed.

2BNTV
01-10-2016, 11:03 AM
I had the same problem once and it was caused by a neighbor who's unit was on the same frequency. Had the good fortune to see it opening when the neighbor came home and hit her button.

Had the garage door change to a different frequency and never had the problem again!

Madelaine Amee
01-10-2016, 11:21 AM
I had the same problem once and it was caused by a neighbor who's unit was on the same frequency. Had the good fortune to see it opening when the neighbor came home and hit her button.

Had the garage door change to a different frequency and never had the problem again!

Same thing happened in our neighborhood, but took a long time to realize that it was someone else's garage door opener working the door in question!

bagboy
01-10-2016, 11:51 AM
As mentioned, changing the remote code will solve your problem. Romac most likely installed the opener. You can call them and they will email instructions to you for changing the code. Also, we use the little lock feature on the wall remote every night and definitely when we are away.

jchase
01-10-2016, 12:28 PM
Very common thing. Had it happen to me as well. You have to change the code. Very easy, the manual will explain how to reprogram.

coryw
01-20-2016, 02:22 PM
Hi Jim. For another possible solution check out the Defender Key Fob PIN CODE protected garage door remotes at DefenderKeyFob.com, sold at ACE Hardware Stores locally

Gerald
01-20-2016, 04:01 PM
changing the code is a good answer when you are home. When away simple put the opener on the inside of the garage to off. Then the door can not open until you return them to the on position again.

Walker2468
01-21-2016, 04:03 PM
Another possibility. Are you storing a spare remote in a drawer that is opened frequently? They are quite sensitive.

Shimpy
01-21-2016, 04:30 PM
I would just hate to leave for months at a time, like we do...and come home to a empty garage.

In that case unplug your opener before you go.

JGVillages
01-21-2016, 06:40 PM
As mentioned, changing the remote code will solve your problem. Romac most likely installed the opener. You can call them and they will email instructions to you for changing the code. Also, we use the little lock feature on the wall remote every night and definitely when we are away.

Romac it may solf the current problem but it could happen again. I am in Calumet Grove and my system was 12 years old. After changing my codes the problem re-surfaced 2 months later. Romac replaced the system with one with rolling codes. No problems for the last 1 1/2 years.

bagboy
01-21-2016, 07:25 PM
Romac it may solf the current problem but it could happen again. I am in Calumet Grove and my system was 12 years old. After changing my codes the problem re-surfaced 2 months later. Roman replaced the system with one with rolling codes. No problems for the last 1 1/2 years.

I would be shocked if someone who lived close by changed their code and happened to match what I changed my remote to. But, I suppose it's possible. You brought up a good solution if that does happen.

rubicon
01-22-2016, 06:12 AM
Years back when I lived in Memphis an article appeared in the newspaper with this subject matter and explained that mocking birds pitch sometimes opened garage doors.