PDA

View Full Version : Cruise Cancellation

bonrich
01-14-2016, 07:57 AM
We used AAA in PA to book a cruise to NZ and Australia on Princess Cruise Lines to sail on 3/2. The trip was set up in June of 2015 to sail in March of this year. We took out the Travel Insurance and flex air line reservations all done through Princess. We now have to cancel our trip due to health reasons just discovered. Contacted the AAA travel agent about 2 weeks ago to start the process. I also sent a letter from my Physician giving the reason for the cancellation, advising that I not travel, etc.
We believe the Agent is dragging their heels about cancelling and not responding to our phone calls, which has been off and on at best. Also the Manager of that branch was not much more helpful. I called Princess Cruise and explained our concern, and was told that it had to go through the Agent. Princess agent comment was the AAA agent does not want to lose the commission. The cruise and flights has been paid. Princess said I could go through any AAA agent to do the deed, and that it did not have to be the original agent we booked through. I find it hard to believe that a Florida agent would do that and go over the head of the original booking agent.

Any thoughts out there?

gomoho
01-14-2016, 08:21 AM
I would certainly give it a try - nothing to lose and everything to gain.

PennBF
01-14-2016, 08:53 AM
I would refer your concern to Seniors vs Crime. You can go to the Seniors vs Crime office in Brownwood. It is located next to the Theater in the Sheriff's Annex. They may be able to help you recover some of your investment and
get your insurance payments respected.:(

billethkid
01-14-2016, 09:42 AM
Another reason to book directly with the cruise lines in the future.

PennBF
01-14-2016, 11:03 AM
We agree with seriously considering booking with cruise lines first. In some cases you can compare the "perks" from the other companies (e.g. Cruise Con.com etc) vs with the Cruise Line as sometimes the perks with the outside agencies is better than direct with the company and that can be a consideration? The reimbursement is usually faster from the Cruse Line as opposed to an outside Agent?:read:

2BNTV
01-14-2016, 12:02 PM
If paid by credit card, I would contact the credit card company and dispute the charge.

I had this situation when buying a time share and they were not getting back to me. My nephew is a lawyer and advised me to do this. He said the credit card company will inform them they will no longer be able to process any Visa, MC, etc, if they didn't give a full refund.

JDudik
01-14-2016, 12:08 PM
We just canceled our princess cruise to panama in November 2 days before the cruise due to health reasons. Booked it thru Costco Travel. Couldn't have gone any easier. Called Costco Travel and they canceled my trip with Princess. Called insurance co. and put in claim and got them all the paper work needed including doc's note. Princess does not need or want any paper work once you cancel. Just remember the cruise line on a cancellation refunds only the amount of tax you paid for the cruise. Got that money deposited in my bank account in 5 days, Got full refund of the rest from INS. co. in 12 days. AAA should notify Princess of your desire to cancel right away. After that deal with insurance company. Hope this helps.

Bonny
01-14-2016, 12:48 PM
We used AAA in PA to book a cruise to NZ and Australia on Princess Cruise Lines to sail on 3/2. The trip was set up in June of 2015 to sail in March of this year. We took out the Travel Insurance and flex air line reservations all done through Princess. We now have to cancel our trip due to health reasons just discovered. Contacted the AAA travel agent about 2 weeks ago to start the process. I also sent a letter from my Physician giving the reason for the cancellation, advising that I not travel, etc.
We believe the Agent is dragging their heels about cancelling and not responding to our phone calls, which has been off and on at best. Also the Manager of that branch was not much more helpful. I called Princess Cruise and explained our concern, and was told that it had to go through the Agent. Princess agent comment was the AAA agent does not want to lose the commission. The cruise and flights has been paid. Princess said I could go through any AAA agent to do the deed, and that it did not have to be the original agent we booked through. I find it hard to believe that a Florida agent would do that and go over the head of the original booking agent.

Any thoughts out there?
Instead of calling, maybe you could just go there. Might help things along. Hard to imagine they are doing this so not to lose the commission. I've had to cancel before and never a problem.
I must say though, shame on Princess for accusing the AAA rep of that. Very, very unprofessional on their part.

Carla B
01-14-2016, 05:17 PM
I gathered from the OP that she is in FL but agent is in PA. So, hard to go there.

2catsmeow
01-14-2016, 05:46 PM
There is a AAA office in Sumter Landing - if any AAA office can help I would start there....

Bonny
01-15-2016, 09:06 AM
I gathered from the OP that she is in FL but agent is in PA. So, hard to go there.
If it's AAA, she can go to the one here.

RVRoadie
01-16-2016, 10:09 AM
This sounds more like bad customer services than anything else. I don't think the agent looses any commission on an insured cancellation, it is the insurance company that eats it.