PDA

View Full Version : Where is a good place to stay south of Atlanta?

Boomer
01-17-2016, 06:17 PM
When driving I-75, Atlanta is around the halfway mark. Usually we stay north of Atlanta. But this time, we would like to stay south of Atlanta. It has been a while since we have stayed in that area of I-75.

Any suggestions for a nice, clean place south of Atlanta? Last time we were traveling with a relative and his dog so we needed pet-friendly, but this time it is just us. (I admit to being persnickety about hotels.)

Thank you.

golfing eagles
01-17-2016, 06:29 PM
Where is a good place to stay south of Atlanta?

Aruba.

Rickg
01-17-2016, 06:32 PM
Stockbridge has several hotels just south of Atlanta. We usually stay at the holiday inn.

Shimpy
01-17-2016, 06:37 PM
Make sure you stay well south of Atlanta because South Atlanta is not one of the better areas you want to stay in.

Marathon Man
01-17-2016, 06:44 PM
Several nice hotels in College Park on the west side of the airport. Our choice was the Marriott Airport South. Great hotel, secure parking (at an extra cost), nice restaurant.

Boomer
01-17-2016, 07:01 PM
Make sure you stay well south of Atlanta because South Atlanta is not one of the better areas you want to stay in.

Thank you, Shimpy,

We can probably go at least an hour or two beyond Atlanta. Maybe farther. But I know nothing about that part of the state.

Mr. Boomer used to drive it in one day. He still would. But after 2 or 3 of those drives, I had had enough and played my princess card. (I never would have made it as one of those wagon train wives.)

North of Atlanta is familiar. But we would like to get through the city on the first day this time.

dbussone
01-17-2016, 07:07 PM
Thank you, Shimpy,

We can probably go at least an hour or two beyond Atlanta. Maybe farther. But I know nothing about that part of the state.

Mr. Boomer used to drive it in one day. He still would. But after 2 or 3 of those drives, I had had enough and played my princess card. (I never would have made it as one of those wagon train wives.)

North of Atlanta is familiar. But we would like to get through the city on the first day this time.

Dalton, GA is a great place with many hotel/motel options. It is about 30 minutes south of Chattanooga, TN. That puts Dalton about 2-21/2 hours from Nashville- or 7 hours from TV...depending on traffic in ATL.

It really is a nice place. We have friends there.

If you are going South I would not recommend staying in Macon. Right after you go through ATL, Peachtree City is an option. They have a Wyndham, Hampton Inn, Hilton Garden Inn, etc.

HoosierPa
01-17-2016, 07:48 PM
Macon. Don't stay in Morrow. Rough area. We made this mistake and felt unsafe

Shimpy
01-17-2016, 08:15 PM
Where ever I'm going the GPS wants to take me thru Atlanta and I won't go that way. Pick a route that even though is longer is much safer and less stress. I've gone thru Atlanta over 8 times on motorcycles and many more times in car and will avoid it from now on. One fender bender can cause a long back up for several hours.

Boomer
01-17-2016, 08:18 PM
Thank you all for your responses.

What about Perry, Ga?

dbussone
01-17-2016, 08:58 PM
Thank you all for your responses.

What about Perry, Ga?

They have a Hampton Inn, but I would not recommend Perry as a place to stay. Valdosta has a much better, and safer, selection.

jgm3279
01-17-2016, 10:42 PM
Peachtree City, Georgia

cologal
01-18-2016, 10:56 AM
The Marriott Fairfield Inn at the airport is very nice and reasonable.

KeepingItReal
01-18-2016, 02:10 PM
When driving I-75, Atlanta is around the halfway mark. Usually we stay north of Atlanta. But this time, we would like to stay south of Atlanta. It has been a while since we have stayed in that area of I-75.

Any suggestions for a nice, clean place south of Atlanta? Last time we were traveling with a relative and his dog so we needed pet-friendly, but this time it is just us. (I admit to being persnickety about hotels.)

Thank you.

We always stay at exit 221. McDonough GA. Nice Marriot and there is also a Fairfield Inn plus others. Marriot has always been great and is right beside a Sam's and there are numerous stores at this exit. You can take Mill Road where the hotel is back down to exit 218 where there are more store and restaurants. There is a new Hampton at exit 218 but is very close to I75.
Full Chick Filet at exit 221 has a full breakfast and you can hit I75 North about 9 AM or so right thru Atlanta in the HOV lane. Unless there is an accident you likely won't even have to slow down. Any earlier than that would not be too good of an idea.

Beth P
01-18-2016, 04:01 PM
Find a hotel off Eagles Landing Parkway. FYI...Peachtree City is a good ways off 75.