PDA

View Full Version : Wearing White

Cassie325
10-26-2008, 09:31 AM
My mother asked me a quesiton while she was here visiting and I honestly didn't know the answer...so I thought I would ask everyone's opinion....

Up north and as a rule of thumb growing up....one did not wear white shoes or white clothes after Labor Day....until Memorial Day....

Does that rule apply when you live in The Sunshine State....or anywhere else where it is typically warm and sunny all the time?

I ask now because I found a beautiful white blouse at Bealls yesterday...do I have to keep it in the closet until Memorial Day?

Helene2008
10-26-2008, 09:47 AM
Cassie....seems here in South Florida people don't follow the old white rule after Labor Day thing. People go more by the temperature here.

Cassie325
10-26-2008, 10:04 AM
Thanks Helene....appreciate it....

beady
10-26-2008, 10:04 AM
Who cares ...wear whatever you want.....whenever you want!
No fashion police in TV...

Cassie325
10-26-2008, 10:17 AM
Who cares ...wear whatever you want.....whenever you want!
No fashion police in TV...

Personally I love this answer....but growing up with the mother and grandmother I did....well certain things stick in your mind at all times....

My grandmother used to take all white clothing and shoes (literally on Labor Day) and put them in the "extra" closet....then right on time....Memorial Day morning they would come out...be ironed and cleaned (even though they were just in the closet). She was a very classy woman!!! A little odd and stuck in her ways.....but classy as the day is long....

As for fashion police....in TV's...there are "police" for everything else....so one never knows...;) :throwtomatoes::shocked:

I was questioning FL in general....and it seems it just doesn't matter...so I will wear white....thankfully Grandma won't see me! :faint:

Thanks for your help!

tkret
10-26-2008, 10:34 AM
I ask now because I found a beautiful white blouse at Bealls yesterday...do I have to keep it in the closet until Memorial Day?

No, the blouse doesn't wish to remain in the closet! :laugh:

Barefoot
10-26-2008, 10:37 AM
According to fashion magazines (which I read only at the doctor's office), the "wearing white" rule hasn't been in place in years.

I think it went out about the time Britney Spears stopped wearing panties.

tkret
10-26-2008, 10:38 AM
According to fashion magazines (which I read only at the doctor's office), the "wearing white" rule hasn't been in place in years.

Now, Barefoot, THAT is hilarious. funny as heck!

islandgal
10-26-2008, 10:42 AM
Stop wearing white after Labor Day here, to me, would be the same thing as to stop wearing white in the Bahamas after Labor Day!! :shrug:

Blondie
10-26-2008, 10:48 AM
You are right Bare..that rule went out...what really matters now, I understand, is the fabric. In the North, white jeans are okay...but light cotton pants are a no no after Labor Day. But, I think white blouses are okay anytime...they are knid of a staple in your wardrobe like the little black dress. I believe my daughter is an undercover agent with the fashion patrol im MD...she keeps me straight...many times I have gotten the disapproving glance from her, sometimes I change and sometomes my oppositional side comes out, and I boldly go out anyway. :laugh:

Cassie325
10-26-2008, 10:54 AM

OH! :1rotfl:
I laughed so hard at this that I spilled coffee all over the darn WHITE BLOUSE!!!!!:cus:

I knew this was the place to come for the right answers!!! Thank you everyone!!!

Just Susan
10-26-2008, 11:41 AM
http://www.beauty-and-nutrition.com/holiday_fashion.html

Have your Mom check out this site and many others for a fashion update.
This link is fun because it debunks other fashion myths as well.

Personally I don't follow rules set by people I don't know, very well. What I follow is what makes sense for me. Light weight white pants and sandals in January in MN would be insane....but white wool slacks and white boots, totally cool! In Florida just the opposite would be true.

Common sense and free thinking prevail.

Hyacinth Bucket
10-26-2008, 01:01 PM
At my advanced age and not staying in the dark I knew about the white thing.

So - How nice, how very very nice to know I am in a fashionable conscious place.

HB