PDA

View Full Version : Florida does not have a used car Lemon Law

mopper
01-26-2016, 10:12 AM
My son in law bought a used car yesterday, first time buyer, and ended up paying $7000 more than it was worth with dealer add on etc. He called the dealership today and they said sorry but we can't do anything about it. Buyers beware, it seems a bad law to me.

villagetinker
01-26-2016, 10:17 AM
There should be a 3 day period to cancel the purchase. Call a lawyer if necessary.

tuccillo
01-26-2016, 10:20 AM
You referenced "Lemon Law" in the title of your post. The "Lemon Law" refers to new cars that repeated fail and not situations where someone overpaid.

My son in law bought a used car yesterday, first time buyer, and ended up paying $7000 more than it was worth with dealer add on etc. He called the dealership today and they said sorry but we can't do anything about it. Buyers beware, it seems a bad law to me.

mopper
01-26-2016, 10:21 AM
I have checked and that only applies to new cars

bagboy
01-26-2016, 10:24 AM
With the information and technology available today, there is no excuse for a half way intelligent person to overpay for any vehicle, new or used. And by $7,000 ???

mopper
01-26-2016, 10:25 AM
Tuccillo you are correct it is not a Lemon by definition, however, I would think that there should be a grace period in case you change your mind.

tuccillo
01-26-2016, 10:30 AM
I do not believe FL has a grace period. As suggested above, I would talk to a lawyer. There might be an issue with deceptive practices by the dealership. My gut feel is that this will turn out to be an expensive lesson.

Tuccillo you are correct it is not a Lemon by definition, however, I would think that there should be a grace period in case you change your mind.

Indy-Guy
01-26-2016, 11:58 AM
Having been in auto sales in Indiana for over 30 years I always find this type of post interesting.

First the OP states that their son in law paid $7,000. more than the car is worth and this was discovered in less than 24 hours. I would like to know what year, make, model, miles and state of purchase information on this car and I would be happy to post the research as to price. Lets see if he was indeed taken advantage of and to what degree. Or is this a case where his in laws didn't want him purchasing this car.

In the state of Indiana and many other states the 3 day right of rescission on a auto purchase applies only if the seller came to the buyers home not if the buyer came to the sellers business.

mopper
01-26-2016, 02:43 PM
The price seemed fair to us $9500 2014 Chevy Sonic 22000 miles, the charges $800 pre delivery and service fee with electronic filing, I think the kicker was 1800 extended service contract, which he is canceling, all this at 14% interest over 6 years, plus off course sales taxes. So I suppose I should have said without interest $13200 an increase of $3700. Thank everyone for their comments.

tuccillo
01-26-2016, 02:55 PM
14% interest? I assume he had some credit rating issues.

The price seemed fair to us $9500 2014 Chevy Sonic 22000 miles, the charges $800 pre delivery and service fee with electronic filing, I think the kicker was 1800 extended service contract, which he is canceling, all this at 14% interest over 6 years, plus off course sales taxes. So I suppose I should have said without interest $13200 an increase of $3700. Thank everyone for their comments.

outlaw
01-26-2016, 02:57 PM
Wow!

outlaw
01-26-2016, 02:59 PM

When he has trouble with the transmission in about a year, please don't come back on here and tell us how they didn't fix it for free after you cancelled your extended warranty.

mopper
01-26-2016, 03:28 PM
Yes he should have waited for his wife who had to work she has a much better rating. Anyway we all learn from experience he is a good husband and meant well.

tuccillo
01-26-2016, 03:49 PM
Encourage him to follow the maintenance schedule in the owners manual. If he does, it should last him a good long time.

Yes he should have waited for his wife who had to work she has a much better rating. Anyway we all learn from experience he is a good husband and meant well.

villagetinker
01-26-2016, 05:00 PM

I just had a thought for a different approach, call one of the Orlando TV stations, they seem to like exposing bad car deals. One of them recently had an expose' on a dealership that was selling cars that were not repairable, and then not honoring the "warranty".

Indy-Guy
01-26-2016, 07:04 PM
I just had a thought for a different approach, call one of the Orlando TV stations, they seem to like exposing bad car deals. One of them recently had an expose' on a dealership that was selling cars that were not repairable, and then not honoring the "warranty".

What makes you think this is a bad car deal. I would ask you to look at Kelley Blue Book - New and Used Car Price Values, Expert Car Reviews (http://www.kbb.com/) there are 8 different models of this car. In a previous post I asked about the car I failed to ask what model. My mistake. As you can see there are many things to look at before you judge.

We don't even know what state the purchase was in. So calling an Orlando TV station would be a waist of time if this did not occur in Orlando. Using the average model of the car the price is inline.

I do have a problem with the $800.00 add on. That seems to be the normal way of doing business today even though as a retired car guy I don't agree with it. That is the reason that the customer should always negotiate an out the door price or a price plus sales tax only price. Let the dealer work out the bottom line.

As for the $1,800 extended service policy that would depend on exactly what we are talking about. That is a whole other can of worms.

1. As stated a service policy could mean maintenance on the car. Or does it insure's the repairs on the car?

2. Could be a mechanical breakdown policy. Which with the car having only 22,000 miles the main question is who is backing the policy. If General Motors is backing the policy he should keep the policy. If it is from anyone else in most cases it is not worth the paper it is written on.

The $1,800.00 maintenance or service agreement figures out to $300 yearly plus interest. Based on the 6 year finance agreement.

tomwed
01-26-2016, 09:41 PM
I forgot who pointed this out to me when I moved down from Jersey. The jest of it was that consumers have rights in New Jersey that they don't have in Florida. I think it had to do with small claim courts.

rubicon
01-27-2016, 05:19 AM
What makes you think this is a bad car deal. I would ask you to look at Kelley Blue Book - New and Used Car Price Values, Expert Car Reviews (http://www.kbb.com/) there are 8 different models of this car. In a previous post I asked about the car I failed to ask what model. My mistake. As you can see there are many things to look at before you judge.

We don't even know what state the purchase was in. So calling an Orlando TV station would be a waist of time if this did not occur in Orlando. Using the average model of the car the price is inline.

I do have a problem with the $800.00 add on. That seems to be the normal way of doing business today even though as a retired car guy I don't agree with it. That is the reason that the customer should always negotiate an out the door price or a price plus sales tax only price. Let the dealer work out the bottom line.

As for the $1,800 extended service policy that would depend on exactly what we are talking about. That is a whole other can of worms.

1. As stated a service policy could mean maintenance on the car. Or does it insure's the repairs on the car?

2. Could be a mechanical breakdown policy. Which with the car having only 22,000 miles the main question is who is backing the policy. If General Motors is backing the policy he should keep the policy. If it is from anyone else in most cases it is not worth the paper it is written on.

The $1,800.00 maintenance or service agreement figures out to $300 yearly plus interest. Based on the 6 year finance agreement.

Indy Guy: Seller buyer having the same information and coming to an agreement defines the value. This buyer needs to read The Art of the Deal because as described and that's all we can go by he was way over his head; albeit the seller has an ethical obligation not to misrepresent.

another feature of this entire issue is that the value of a vehicle has different measurements of value from the prospective of a dealership, customer, bank, insurance company and private buyer once the car has left the lot. They all are right in their own regard. finally the years in my business taught me that the car businesses (dealerships, repair/service shops etc) that stay in business are those that are ethical and stand by their products

GaryW
01-27-2016, 06:03 AM
TO me Bottom line is this: if you sign the contract read it. Have a friend of mine that went thru something similar. His rate ended up at 19.5 %. He had bad credit and could not understand how that had a play in it. I told him you signed the paper work, now it is not the dealer's problem. You sign it , it is all yours. Have fun with it.
There is a lemon law, and it is for a reason. It is not for someone that could not or did not read the contract they entered into. That is the problem with this country, everyone wants a out or a "MULLIGAN".
Friend of mine is a GM of a dealership, and he said they have a lemon law,, but for the right purpose.

Just Sayin :sing:

RickeyD
01-27-2016, 06:53 AM
Unless you've been living in a cave does anyone today or yesterday trust car dealers, really ?

mulligan
01-27-2016, 07:06 AM
It's nice to be wanted.

fred53
01-27-2016, 08:40 AM
Why in the world...in this day of instant information....wouldn't you or your son do a complete online search on the worth of this vehicle????? And it's add-ons???

Seems you have access to a computer..why didn't you check???

Someone has been careless and foolish.

BobnBev
01-27-2016, 08:58 AM
Unless you've been living in a cave does anyone today or yesterday trust car dealers, really ?

Here's a big AMEN to that.:police:

kstew43
01-27-2016, 09:23 AM
my daughter fell into the same....trap? a few years ago. she was young and had no credit and the salesman talked her into the price of the car..too high..17% interest rate and a warranty....

the way he got her to accept the deal was to accept the monthly payments...she felt she could handle the payments so she was happy...

when I asked her how much she paid for the car..totally..out the door....she didnt even know.....,she just kept saying to me...but I can afford the payments..mom...

I wish she had included me in the deal process.....my experience would of helped her...but you know ....when there 19 they can do anything....and she wanted to do this all on her own....