PDA

View Full Version : 40% of donations for overhead!!!

The Mountaineer
01-28-2016, 08:31 AM
Wounded Warriors charity spends 40% of donations for overhead, including transporting 22 centers' volunteers to Colorado for a party and $500 a night hotel rooms.

Outrageous!

Sempi Fi, another charity for veterans, spends 8% of donations for overhead.

Just thought you'd want to know when you decide how to help veterans, who deserve everything they get and more for serving their country, in particular those wounded in the war, physically and mentally.

You can Google the story if you want, "Wounded Warriors Overhead."

Chatbrat
01-28-2016, 08:45 AM
Give to the Fisher House

billethkid
01-28-2016, 09:07 AM
The very reason why I used to make specific donations to specific charities of my choice and not to United Way. They would never accept my receipts to the same charities they claimed in their list to support.
I do the same thing with fire, police, veteran and most other causes for raising funds.

When I adminster it is $0 so those being donated to get 100%.

outlaw
01-28-2016, 09:26 AM
I'm waiting for O'Reilly to complete his investigation on WW and report his findings. I have been donating to WW for several years based on his recommendation. It seems every charity eventually becomes greedy. Less and less money goes to the people who are supposed to be benefiting, and more and more seems to go to the people running the charity. Kinda like the government. Oh well. Human nature, I guess.

outlaw
01-28-2016, 09:27 AM
The very reason why I used to make specific donations to specific charities of my choice and not to United Way. They would never accept my receipts to the same charities they claimed in their list to support.
I do the same thing with fire, police, veteran and most other causes for raising funds.

How do you do that? Just local donations?

Villager Joyce
01-28-2016, 09:32 AM

Delver a meal to a fire station or police/sheriffs station from any restaurant on a day other than a holiday. Not long term help, but it does get a big smile. Could also deliver to House of Hope in Wildwood or plan a party at a nursing home.

dewilson58
01-28-2016, 10:24 AM

I always struggled with UW as well. There was always pressure for the company to get 100% participation.............but I just couldn't. It takes more time on my part, but I rather donate directly.

Fred R
01-28-2016, 10:40 AM
United Way puts so much pressure on employees to give. I've had the experience and heard it second hand from many. That just ain't right! Some of the other suggestions listed here are great ideas.

billethkid
01-28-2016, 11:04 AM

One example:

When donating to a cancer organization, we always went directly to the organization where a family member or friend was treated.

cquick
01-28-2016, 11:36 AM
There are lists showing the percentages spent by non profits on the internet.

although, sometimes an organization has to spend money to make money. So difficult.

I still support United Way, even though it seems like the overhead is high.

Dan9871
01-28-2016, 12:29 PM
www dot charitynavigator dot org is a good place to evaluate charities. You can see a bunch of things about each charity. For example the overhead of Fisher House is 9%

Retiring
01-28-2016, 12:45 PM
When donating your hard earned money you really should do at least a tiny little bit of due diligence.

Many charities are not at all charitable and some charities are just poorly run. If you don’t want to spend 5 minutes on the internet you can just listen to the news. United Way is one that seems to be in a constant scandal. Make a Wish has no means testing. Wounded Warriors has outrageous overhead. I can go on and on.

However, there are charities where 100% goes to the end recipient. The overhead expense is bore by the parent organization.

There really are some great people out there that would do a lot of good with your donation. There are more people out there that would love to party with your money.

As they say in Latin, donator cave.