PDA

View Full Version : Slim Fast meal replacement bars

Cassie325
10-29-2008, 01:48 PM
Does anyone eat these? If so...do you notice any ODD stomach "issues"....

They really work for cravings and such....and make you feel like you are not hungary....BUT....there are some ODD issues my stomach is dealing with.

Anyone??.....I am being serious here.....

MSNPA
10-29-2008, 02:42 PM
All I know is when I drink the drink I have stomach issues. One or two now and again as a meal replacement is okay, but I could never drink two of these a day.

Shirleevee
10-29-2008, 05:08 PM
My husband (should have been me), used to have the SlimFast for lunch and spend the rest of the day gassing up the house. That was a few years ago though.

barb1191
10-29-2008, 07:40 PM
I also used to drink the Slim Fast milk drink. Really enjoyed the milk shake. Over time it became a digestive problem; then I learned that the powder was primarily made up of skim milk powder. Since I am lactose intolerant and would use Lactaid milk never realized that the Slim Fast powder was the culprit that caused digestive problems as the powder was made up of lactose skim milk.

Have also learned that Lactaid milk is the choice for many whether they have the intolerance or not because this milk has a very very long shelf life. Have been using it for many years since learning about my lactose intolerance; even hubby prefers the Lactaid milk. FYI

Boomer
10-29-2008, 08:08 PM
I know this doesn't answer the question, but I thought I would share what helps me out when I need to take the edge off.

Instead of Slimfast, I use "Atkins Advantage" shakes.

They have only 1 gram of sugar instead of 17g in "Slimfast Optima." I think what helps the most is the 15 grams of protein instead the 10 grams found in Slimfast. The calorie count is close. Slimfast is 180 calories and Adkins Advantage is 160. The Atkins Dark Chocolate Royale is actually pretty good. (And trust me, I knooooow my chocolate.)

So anyway, I thought I would throw this in, in case anybody wants to give Atkins Advantage shakes a try. I do not do the Atkins diet. I just like these things. Sometimes I have just a few walnuts along with the shake and it keeps me covered for a decent amount of time. And my stomach is fine afterward. No issues with these shakes -- for me anyway.

Boomer

Cassie325
10-29-2008, 08:15 PM
Thanks for the info Ladies....it actually isn't the shakes that give us the "issues" but the Atkins shake info is GREAT to know!!

It is the "meal replacement bars".....carmel, crispy something or other....while I certainly like the taste (which is unusual for a diet bar)....it makes my stomach sound like WWIII is going on inside starting about an hour afterwords for about 4 hours!!!

It states that it curbs hunger for up to 4 hours....well after my stomach is done with the war....I have absolutely NO appetite....

Perhaps this is what they expect to happen....who wants to eat after that experience?

I am going to try Atkins products and see if there is a difference. I am not really trying to diet....just don't want to eat 3 big meals a day...don't have time for 6 little ones a day....so figured a "bar" would be perfect to keep my sugars and energy up......

villages07
10-29-2008, 09:34 PM
The common ingredient I've found in various high protein bars that seems to cause these symptoms is Maltitol (artificial sweetener). You can google maltitol side effects to get more info. Here's one paragraph I found:

Well, when your stomach starts making funky noises and you feel the uncomfortable effects of gas happening inside your body about an hour after eating that product, there's only ONE word that can describe what has happened to you: MALTITOL (http://livinlavidalocarb.blogspot.com/2006/03/beware-of-sneaky-sugar-alcohols.html)!

Check your labels

Cassie325
10-29-2008, 09:44 PM
Thanks 07....will check the label tomorrow!!

chelsea24
11-02-2008, 01:05 PM
barf :yuck:

ConeyIsBabe
11-02-2008, 02:19 PM
IMHO all man-made processed products are borderline-JUNK-food :yuck:

Why not munch on something healthy that you can carry in your pocket/purse.... like nuts, raisens, cut-up carrots, celery, popcorn :popcorn:

Well, that works for me - but I AM a little odd :popcorn:

beady
11-02-2008, 03:28 PM
Nothing odd about eating healthy :icon_hungry: .....certainly better than processed diet foods....:yuck: they do nothing but set you up for more weight gain when you are no longer using them. Bad stuff....