PDA

View Full Version : The Villages Communities/Neighborhoods

SookeyJo
10-29-2008, 06:36 PM
Hi everyone. My husband and I briefly checked out TV earlier this month and we just loved what we saw! :coolsmiley: One of the sales girls took us on a short tour as we were very limited on time. I know there are many communities/neighborhoods and we'd like to check these out via the web if we can. We are looking for a new construction home in the $180,000 range. Could any of you help direct us to this? We now live in Ohio, but retirement for us is in two years and we really want to move down there! :pepper2: Also, any info on future developments would be really helpful.

Thank you so much for your help! Don and Sue in central Ohio

Bob45
10-29-2008, 08:01 PM
This might be what you're looking for.
Bob

http://www.thevillages.com/Homes/new.asp

jojo
10-29-2008, 10:03 PM
Where are you in central Ohio? We bought a home in TV but my husband still has an apartment in Columbus so I do some commuting back to central Ohio. It's a wonderful place.

SookeyJo
10-30-2008, 09:57 AM
Thank you, Bob45, for the info. I found a lot of the villages under pre-owned homes. I understand there is talk of building another Town Square named The Paddock. We sure are looking forward to retiring down there IF this economy cooperates!

SookeyJo
10-30-2008, 10:00 AM
Hi jojo. We live in Lancaster, about 30 miles southeast of Columbus.

Peachie
10-30-2008, 10:16 AM
SookeyJo,

I'm happy that you've chosen TV for your retirement home but from our experience we recommend you begin your search in about 18 months. It is a financial bundle to own two homes at the same time and TV is growing and will, IMHO, have plenty of property available in that window of time. It's a smart idea to do the legwork ahead of your planned move and perhaps the money is no issue but do be sure to weigh the options of now vs later.

Boomer
10-30-2008, 11:27 AM
For My Fellow Buckeyes:

Hey! Who knew????

This is a little bit of a thread hijack, but I just had to share it with those of you here in this thread with the Ohio connection. This article is from Forbes and for some reason, the writer seems to think Ohio is a wonderful place to retire?????? Actually, it says the Columbus area which is quite nice, but I never thought of it as a retirement dream.

I have never heard any sunshine-seeking Buckeyes whining around and saying, "Why-O, why-O, why-O did I ever leave Ohio where, not only could I shovel snow, but I could pay and pay and pay that state income tax?"

So anyway, here's the article from Forbes. Of course, it gives the reasons for the ranking. It says that retirees need jobs in the economic downturn. I thought Ohio was having job problems.

So what's this all about? Is it, "Hang on, Sloopy, you might be in the right state after all"???????

Who knew????

http://realestate.msn.com/buying/Article_forbes.aspx?cp-documentid=11783163&gt1=35000

Boomer

rshoffer
10-30-2008, 11:38 AM
For My Fellow Buckeyes:

Hey! Who knew????

This is a little bit of a thread hijack, but I just had to share it with those of you here in this thread with the Ohio connection. This article is from Forbes and for some reason, the writer seems to think Ohio is a wonderful place to retire?????? Actually, it says the Columbus area which is quite nice, but I never thought of it as a retirement dream.

I have never heard any sunshine-seeking Buckeyes whining around and saying, "Why-O, why-O, why-O did I ever leave Ohio where, not only could I shovel snow, but I could pay and pay and pay that state income tax?"

So anyway, here's the article from Forbes. Of course, it gives the reasons for the ranking. It says that retirees need jobs in the economic downturn. I thought Ohio was having job problems.

So what's this all about? Is it, "Hang on, Sloopy, you might be in the right state after all"???????

Who knew????

http://realestate.msn.com/buying/Article_forbes.aspx?cp-documentid=11783163&gt1=35000

Boomer State College, Pa... home of WE ARE >>>> PENN STATE!!! is also becoming a retirement hot spot... big university towns have lots to do and keep you feelin' young!

Boomer
10-30-2008, 11:50 AM
State College, Pa... home of WE ARE >>>> PENN STATE!!! is also becoming a retirement hot spot... big university towns have lots to do and keep you feelin' young!

I know. There is a lot to be said for a college town. The article surprised me this morning though, considering the taxes in Ohio. I think the magazine "Where to Retire" or whatever it is called features college towns once in awhile. And it does seem like the really big university towns are getting more coverage lately from the perspective of retirees.

Boomer

Bogie Shooter
10-30-2008, 03:02 PM
Thank you, Bob45, for the info. I found a lot of the villages under pre-owned homes. I understand there is talk of building another Town Square named The Paddock. We sure are looking forward to retiring down there IF this economy cooperates!

The third town square will be between CR 466A and RT 44 off of Buena Vista Blvd, and will be called ( i think) Brownwood. I believe the theme to be an early Florida cattle town.
BTW, Buena Vista is complete from CR466A to 44A but not connected at the southern end.

SookeyJo
10-30-2008, 04:55 PM
Peachie, thanks for the helpful info. You are quite right, it would be a financial burden to own two homes. I hear property sites are selling like hot cakes, though, and we don't want to miss building a new home. :ohdear: I'm sure things are changing all the time and it would be best to wait. We loved what we saw the short time we were there and it can only get better!

SookeyJo
10-30-2008, 04:59 PM
Boomer, NO WAY :yuck: would we want to retire in Ohio!!! It has been nice all these years living near family and there are many nice things in and around the state to see and do, but we are ready to move south PERMANENTLY!! :laugh: We don't want to live too close to the gulf or coast, but it will be soooo nice to know we can take off for an overnite stay to either one. Soooo much to look forward to!

Peachie
10-30-2008, 05:10 PM
SookeyJo, I wanted to give you food for thought.... Mr. Peachie and I, in retrospect, wish we would have waited a little longer. Much money is spent in air conditioning, insurances, amenity fees, lawn maintenance, bug control, taxes and so forth that could have been applied toward the home we purchased nearer to retirement and we would have had financial peace of mind until we pulled the plug. And when we see the HUGE scope of development ahead, you should have lots of room for choosing a homesite in 18 months time. We send good luck wishes for whatever decision the two of you make and we also love TV's.

SookeyJo
10-30-2008, 05:19 PM
Thanks so much, Peachie, for your kind words and very helpful advice. I know these next two years will go fast! I never thought I would ever look forward to "getting older", but I just know we will have a lot of fun doing so! :)

Boomer
10-30-2008, 06:49 PM
Boomer, NO WAY :yuck: would we want to retire in Ohio!!! It has been nice all these years living near family and there are many nice things in and around the state to see and do, but we are ready to move south PERMANENTLY!! :laugh: We don't want to live too close to the gulf or coast, but it will be soooo nice to know we can take off for an overnite stay to either one. Soooo much to look forward to!

Oh SookeyJo, how well I know. I am here in Cincinnati.

I was so surprised when I saw that article that I just had to show my fellow Buckeyes. The article went on and on about money going further in Ohio. I don't think so. If states want retirees they should at least figure out not to tax pensions. I don't think our Kentucky neighbors get taxed on pensions. Not sure.

I have not lost my mind. Really! I just had to share.

Good luck to you. And I bet there will be a perfect house waiting when you are ready to move south.

Boomer :)

Whisper1
11-04-2008, 09:38 PM
How did some of you residents go about choosing a particular area? Are there things you would do differently? Are there advantages to living near a Town Center (or not)? Anything you can tell me would be appreciated.