PDA

View Full Version : LG French Door Refrigerator Has Stopped Making Ice

Boomer
02-14-2016, 01:52 PM
We have a French door LG refrigerator, model number LFX28968ST. (I think the ST means stainless.)

It has stopped making ice after 2 years of doing fine. It still dispenses water so that connection is not the problem.

We have pushed properly all the buttons and watched a couple of You Tube videos that did not help.

We probably will need a service call. But I thought I would ask here to see if anybody has any suggestions.

Thanks.

Boomer

CWGUY
02-14-2016, 02:21 PM
We have a French door LG refrigerator, model number LFX28968ST. (I think the ST means stainless.)

It has stopped making ice after 2 years of doing fine. It still dispenses water so that connection is not the problem.

We have pushed properly all the buttons and watched a couple of You Tube videos that did not help.

We probably will need a service call. But I thought I would ask here to see if anybody has any suggestions.

Thanks.

Boomer

:) https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=lfx28968st+ice+maker+problems

NotGolfer
02-14-2016, 03:16 PM
We've used Two Brothers (don't charge a service call) for taking care of our appliances. We've found them to be fair and reasonable.

2 Brothers Appliance....(352) 751-1660

simpkinp
02-14-2016, 10:06 PM
I have had nothing but problems with my LG Door Within A Door model French Door Refrigerator. My friend, who has one of the regular Frwnch Door models has no problems. What model do you have and does it show an error message?

Boomer
02-14-2016, 11:43 PM
The LG model number is LFX28968ST. It has not shown an error message.

A few years ago, we had an Electrolux French door, counter-depth, in a different house. Into its second year, its ice maker quit, too. It could not be repaired. It ended up that the refrigerator itself was replaced.

I resent buying those extended warranties. But we did. Most of today's appliances seem to be built to go bad. Remember how our parents' appliances lasted for decades.

I like French door refrigerators a lot, but this is the second brand that has had a bad ice maker. So the extended warranty will be put to use. We have tried everything else.

Is it harder to correctly engineer an ice maker for a French door? All I know is for us 2 out of 2 went bad in year 2.

Boomer

Addendum: simpkinp, I just realized I did not directly answer the part of your post #4 question about the Door Within A Door model. I just looked up what that is. I don't have that model. It looks like such a good idea for use of space. -- Like I said earlier, I resent buying those obnoxious warranties, but we buy them anyway because new appliances have a good chance of being all show and no go. Good luck.

Boomer
02-15-2016, 07:59 AM
We've used Two Brothers (don't charge a service call) for taking care of our appliances. We've found them to be fair and reasonable.

2 Brothers Appliance....(352) 751-1660

A friend told me good things about them, too.

The warranty service arrangements are made through Home Depot so it is whoever they send this time. The last time the guy they sent was very good. He took the back off and found the source of the rattle that had been driving me nuts. (That happened in the refrigerator's first year.) We are at the end of year 2 now on the extended warranty. -- But thank you for the information.

Topspinmo
02-15-2016, 08:52 AM
Probably the ice maker itself. String of inferior ice makers made with cheap plastic gears from 2012 and 2013. Mine was replace in less than year. It just stopped, but before hand started making popping noise that got louder and louder before it quit.

Not that hard to replace if have general knowledge. Two screws, transfer bracket (on some models) and harness. Plug in the only goes on way. If that's not it and it's get getting good water supply. Good luck. Repairman probably knows this and with little troubleshooting. Hopefully it's still under factory warranty? If you got the maintenance agreement or seen the factory warranty card in that starts the warranty time line.

I agree, don't expect your appliances now day to last decade. That's why I don't buy the 3 thousand dollar one. Good chance they will not last longer than the thousand dollar ones. In come case less due to the added electronic's.

Believe it or not refrigerator's live in harsh conditions. Stuck in enclosed area, little alr flow, and constantly drawing fine dust into the cooling fins and fan which over time causes it to over heat and not cool properly. Good idea to clean the dust out every few months and not push it too close to the wall so air can circulate IMO.

BobnBev
02-15-2016, 08:53 AM
If they can't fix it, they will replace it, no charge. Free service calls, 24/7. this goes for all your appliances. Neighbor just got a new microwave, no cost.:bigbow: